View Full Version : About competitions

Logan3
01-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Hello,
We just got word that the comp that my dd was working for got cancelled. The only other competition that we could do is one that attracts higher level skaters so I do not know what to do. My dd has one private class a week for her routine and 2 group classes. Her routine is for FS1 and she is 7y old. She has a straight forward routine without the fancy choreography etc. I am sure she does not measure next to a girl that has several privates a week. Do you think it will still be fun to do the competition anyway? What do you guys do? Do you go to comps that are close to your level or it does not really matter? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We find ourslelves this year in a weird position: Not exactly recreational but not "competitive" either.

off topic question: Is ISI more artistic than USFS ? I was watching a girl today skating ISI and her routine was almost like ballet, very sophisticated and quite more artistic than my dd is doing. Just thought to ask since I know nothing about ISI.

Isk8NYC
01-03-2007, 10:58 PM
If the other competition is ISI, it doesn't matter who it attracts because your DD will be in an event with skaters close to her own age and test level. A USFSA Basic Skills competition will be divvied up similarly, but a "No Test" USFSA freeskate may not be grouped that way.

As for whether ISI is more "artistic," that depends more on the skater. Because the ISI restricts the elements on the freestyle events along with age/test groupings, the structure encourages stronger skaters to really work on their artistry.

For kids who are "stuck" on an ISI level (usually happens around ISI Freestyle 3/4), they've already mastered the elements, so artistry becomes more of a challenge to keep the skater and the audience/judges interested. (Hmmmm. You may have actually been watching an ISI "Artistic Skating" event program, not a freestyle program.)

However, I think the USFSA competitions demand more showmanship from routines, even at the lower levels. Just MHO.

Does she enjoy performing and competing? If so, let her compete against herself based on her scores and not worry about winning or losing to someone else.

cathrl
01-04-2007, 03:52 AM
I guess my question would be: how does your daughter feel about it?

Will this be her first competition? Is she looking forward to doing her routine in front of judges in the full knowledge that she's new, inexperienced and may well come last, or is she expecting to do well, maybe win? Will she be horribly upset if she's outclassed?

Kids are all different. My daughter's now ten, but she did her first figure competition when she was just barely seven. She came last. She loved it. She continued to come last right up to when she started to do dance - and she's only once won something at that. She just loves competing, though.

My son's seven, and entirely irrational about everyone being better than him. I wouldn't even think of putting him in a competition that wasn't a club one where he knows everyone. He would absolutely freak if he got out on a warmup at an unfamiliar rink and realised he was the weakest skater on the ice.

Speaking as a skater myself who knows just how easy it is to forget things when you're out there in front of the judges, as well as a mum who's seen kids in tears out there because they've forgotten their routine half way through a competition, I really wouldn't worry about how sophisticated her routine is. There's a lot to be said for something she's comfortable with and can remember when she's dead nervous.

Catherine.

Logan3
01-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the advise.
My dd is 7 and her personality is still developping. Meaning I am not sure how she feels about it. I talked with her a little bit and she gave me vague answers. I tend to beleive that she is more focused on herself. When she skates she does not look around and she never comments on how other girls skate. She did a couple of comps last year, both USFS. One was elements only (no music) and she loved it. The other was a routine with music and she rashed all elements, finished before the music and she did not seem herself (nevertheless she came 2nd because the comp was low level). This year she looks more mature and I think she is doing a better job with her program. Anyway, I talked to the coach and she told me that she should do it and try to do her best. I do not worry about winning. My fear is puting my dd in a situation that is not appropriate. Unfortunately we have hard time hooking with other skating families and I am always at loss when it comes to finding out what other people do and what's appropriate.

twokidsskatemom
01-06-2007, 06:37 PM
I would say, it depends on both you and your skater and they WHY of skating.Some families are very hung up on doing well and BEATING so and so.Its all about the placement
We have always taught the kids to just do Their BEST. My kids do both ISI and USFSA.They have been, due to our location, with older kids.We dont have enough to do age grouping as a rule. My 5 year old son was with a 12 year old girl in interptive in ISI Fs 1.He didnt care and neither did we.
My kids have been put with combined levels. That means at times they have not only skated with older kids but higher level kids. That has happened in both ISI and USFSA.Since the goal for us is the experience, not the medal, we have had no issues with that. They know there will ALWAYS be someone better than and someone not as strong as they are.They dont skate to win, they skate due to the love of the sport.
I agree that the most part USFSA programs have more stuff and are more polished. That is very true of higher levels.My daughter ISI 4 and pre pre artistic were the same program.
If she wants to do it, let her and just have fun.Its should just be about the experience, as each one will help in the long run.
Good luck !!