View Full Version : After not skating for a couple weeks...

Hannah
01-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Is it normal to feel like you forgot how to skate entirely? :frus: I'm still pretty much a beginner (back and forward x-overs, three turns, waltz hop), so maybe I haven't gotten skating so firmly into my body memory.

Got sick over my school break and didn't want to push it so I haven't been skating for a little more than two weeks. I felt like I was going to fall pretty much the whole hour this morning (I did fall several times). I convinced myself to stay on the ice by making a deal with myself- I'd skate the whole time and then I'd come whimpering to the forum. So... *whimper*

I need some reassurace so I can make myself go skating again tomorrow! :roll:

Team Arthritis
01-03-2007, 12:14 PM
I convinced myself to stay on the ice by making a deal with myself- I'd skate the whole time and then I'd come whimpering to the forum. So... *whimper*

I need some reassurace so I can make myself go skating again tomorrow! :roll:

Way to go pushing through the fear! Tomorrow will be better, I guarantee ithttp://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/cartoon/odie.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)
Lyle

Hannah
01-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Thank you. :)

Love your Odie smiley.

Isk8NYC
01-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Go skating tomorrow! How will you get better by NOT skating? LOL
(Sorry - no cute smilies from me - haven't a single one.)

BTW, are you sure you're over your illness? Falling can be a side effect of a sinus or ear infection.

Skate@Delaware
01-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Sometimes you just need a break if you've been skating TOO much!!! A break allows your body to recuperate...but I guess it's better for us "older" folk to take a break every so often than the younger ones.

Ice Dancer
01-03-2007, 01:50 PM
I think a break when you are unable can make you realise how much you love skating as you miss it. If that makes sense.

NickiT
01-03-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm going back tomorrow after a full two weeks off. I often find I skate better than I expect to after a bit of time off, yet other times it feels like I need to learn how to skate again when I first get back on. I always feel back in the groove by the second time I skate if not by the end of the first though. As a beginner it may take a little longer, but I can guarantee that you will be just fine, and you may well find that the break has done you some good.

Nicki

sue123
01-03-2007, 03:21 PM
I tried to go skating with a sinus infection once. Not a smart move. I felt like I had completely forgotten to skate. So if you're still congested, it might have affected you. Just keep at it, and you'll get back to where you were.

Rusty Blades
01-03-2007, 03:36 PM
I tried to go skating with a sinus infection once. Not a smart move. I felt like I had completely forgotten to skate. So if you're still congested, it might have affected you. Just keep at it, and you'll get back to where you were.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

What she said!

I came down with a bad cold Christmas Day and it sort of lingered on as a head cold. I didn't feel too bad today until I got on the ice! My sense of balance was WAY off - I could do my moves, but only from memory. Ten days ago, I was getting ahead of my program music - today I couldn't keep up with it :roll:

Taking some herbal remedy and going to crawl under a warm blanket now - I don't have TIME to be sick :giveup:

teresa
01-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I always feel weird the first few days skating after a break. And, I've been skating awhile. Nothing feels as good as it did for a few days. =-) You sound pretty normal to me. =-) It's better to take a few days off when your sick, you did good.

teresa

frbskate63
01-05-2007, 03:36 PM
I find that ten days off the ice is enough to make me feel insecure the next time I get on. And any sort of illness, even a 24 hour bug, also makes you shaky the first time back. Your next skate will probably be fine.

Fiona

Hannah
01-06-2007, 07:25 AM
I went skating again, and it was somewhat better... just have to get my skating legs under me again I guess. :)

I didn't think about the sinus / ear infection part. Certainly one of the problems I had (it took TWO rounds of antibios to get rid of it!).