View Full Version : Knee Injury

bdkexcell
01-03-2007, 12:47 AM
Hello everyone
As of right now I have a 3rd degree ACL sprain in my left knee
its been about 10 months since the injury, in which time I have re-built it somewhat
the knee is obviously not 100% but it is way stronger then before
now I am curious
I'm from Canada and the winter season is back, and i want to take the new GF ice skating, since neither of us have gone in a few years

so this is why I came here, I don't feel like going to a doctor to ask, "can i ice skate?"
so if anyone here knows, or any trainers or coaches that would know, how much stress is on the knee's from skating, and should i avoid some casual skating?

i do have a knee brace, but i dont really want to wear it on a date
i plan on pushing around on my rollerblades within the next day or 2 to test the knee out, but that isnt an exact replica of ice skating

thanks for the help!!

Mrs Redboots
01-03-2007, 06:12 AM
Sorry, but the only advice I can give is "ask your doctor". I know it's not what you want to hear - but all skaters have dodgy knees, it goes with the territory, and maybe starting out with dodgy knees isn't just a great idea!

jenlyon60
01-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Definitely talk to the doctor first.

I would expect that with a 3rd degree ACL sprain, you have a fair amount of instability in that knee. If you've been doing physical therapy and exercise to strengthen the leg muscles, that helps some. But ACL injuries will not mend on their own, and a 3rd degree sprain is either a complete tear or close to it.

The ACL is involved in controlling twisting motion, especially when the body above the knee is twisting in a different direction than the body below the knee. Which is why it is a very common sports injury.

If you fall the wrong way (especially a backward twisting fall), and the knee is not braced, you could well make matters worse for yourself, and do worse damage to the knee (meniscus, MCL etc).

I'm not a physician, but I have been through ACL issues and had an ACL reconstruction in 1999, after taking a backward twisting fall while skiing that tore both ACL and MCL in my left knee. MCL can mend on its own with stabilization, but ACL cannot (because it's not blood rich tissue, or something like that).

Bottom line: If you are not already comfortable on skates, it would probably not be the best idea to go skating, especially if you would be using rental skates (which are typically of dubious quality and maintenance). If you are an experienced skater, then the risk may be lower. Not guaranteed, not probable, but possible.