View Full Version : boots and blades

iceballerina
01-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Is there a sticky or a thread here that talks about what skates and blades are best for what levels? I am just wondering if I need to change. I have only been skating a year and to reiterate, I have my crossovers, a nice waltz jump, toe loop-not much air though, forward and back pivots, 3 turns and am desperately as you know working on getting my one foot spin. I doubt I am advanced enough to get seperate blades and boots. I have the Ridells, and they were less than $120, don't remember which style. Any thoughts on what comes next?

doubletoe
01-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Here's an excerpt from Mr. Edge's monthly column in Skating magazine that may help:

Q: What boots and blades do you recommend?

A: Basic Skills Kids: I like both the Riedell 21 model and Jackson Artiste with blade attached.

Beginning Freestyle: Riedell Boot Models—21 for smaller children size 1 and under; 101 for skaters 70–95 lbs.; 30/300 for skaters 80–110 lbs.

Children and adult sizes: Jackson Boot Models—Freestyle for skaters 70–120 lbs., up to and including adult sizes; Competitor for skaters 120–140 lbs., up to and including adult sizes.

Blade Note:
How to answer the question—which is the best blade for me? Figure skaters are influenced in many ways about their blade choice by what top skaters are using, coaches' recommendations, pro shop availability, cost, etc. To be able to say without hesitation that you will skate at your peak performance in a particular blade is just not totally true.

The only way to honestly answer that question is to skate on several different blades for a few days before choosing one. However, that is not to say that you will not skate well with one blade as opposed to another, it just may take you a little bit longer to perfect a particular jump or spin.

Beginning Freestyle Blades: MK Club 2000, MK Double Star, Wilson Jubilee, Wilson Majestic, Ultima Mirage

Intermediate Freestyle: Riedell Boot Models—30 for skaters 60–90 lbs.; Silver Star for skaters 90–125 lbs.
Harlick Boot Models—Competitor for skaters 80–110 lbs.; Competitor Plus for skaters 105–125 lbs.
Jackson Boot Models—Competitor for skaters 90–120 lbs.; 2700 for skaters 115–145 lbs.
Klingbeil Boot Models—Stock S-1 Stiffness for skaters 80–115 lbs.; Stock S-2 Stiffness for skaters 120–135 lbs.
SP-Teri—Pro Teri for skaters 90–120 lbs.; Super Teri for skaters 115–145.

Intermediate Freestyle Blades: MK Professional standard or K-pick; MK Vision; Wilson Coronation Ace standard or K-pick; Wilson Coronation Comet standard or K-pick; Ultima Protégé; Ultima Legacy

Hi-Test Freestyle Boots: Riedell Boot Models—HLS 1500 for skater's 125 lbs and over.
Harlick Boot Models—Competitor Plus for skaters 75–110 lbs.; Hi-Tester for skaters 95–120 lbs.
Klingbeil Boot Models—S-3 Stiffness for skaters 125 lbs. and over.
Jackson Boot Models—3500 Elite Plus for skaters over 15 lbs.
SP-Teri Boot Models—Pro Teri for skaters 80–110 lbs.; Super Teri for skaters 110–130 lbs.; KT 2 for skaters over 120 lbs. who prefer a softer boot; KT 3 for skaters over 130 lbs. who prefer a stiffer boot.

Hi-Test Freestyle Blades: MK Phantom standard or K-pick; Wilson Pattern 99 standard or K-pick; Wilson Gold Seal; Shadow; Ultima Elite; Ultima Freestyle

Custom Boots:
Skaters at any level of skating will benefit in one way or another from custom boots. However, at the beginning and intermediate freestyle levels they're not always practical unless the shape or configuration of the foot warrants it. Of course, you can always buy a custom boot if current options you'd prefer to have added on aren't available on stock boots.

PLEASE NOTE: There are many different combinations of boots and blades—the above choices are MY personal favorites. Also, keep in mind that every skater will have different needs based upon the following: level of skating, amount of time spent on the ice, skate size, width, overall shape of foot, and most importantly, the parents' budget.

Well friends, it's time once again to say so long for another month. Till next time.

TaBalie
01-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Try this thread:

http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=18514&highlight=Poll%3A+Boots+%26amp%3B+Blades

You can get an idea of what people are wearing, what level they are at, etc...

itfigures
01-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Wow! That is very very helpfull!!
I recomend talking to your coach if you have one they would be able to tell you!

dbny
01-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Wow! That is very very helpfull!!
I recomend talking to your coach if you have one they would be able to tell you!

Unfortunately, a lot of coaches don't have a clue and recommend only what they themselves use because they don't know about anything else.

iceballerina
01-02-2007, 10:13 PM
just what I was looking for-thanks!