View Full Version : Practice time vs. lesson time?

LilJen
01-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Can't find anything about this in the threads (if there is something, it's buried!). Wondering what is a generally agreed-upon proportion of lesson time to practice time. I've heard 2 hours of practice for every 30 minutes of lesson time. Is this still relevant? Probably it depends on your goals and such, but I'd love some input.

phoenix
01-02-2007, 08:09 PM
I think it depends on your goals, but also on your skill level. I think that beginners may need more supervision, especially little kids that aren't good yet at monitoring themselves or knowing how to structure a practice session.

The higher your skills, the more practice it takes to keep advancing and keeping up with your lessons. For my very beginning students I ask that they spend at least as much time practicing as in a lesson, preferably twice as much. So if they have 1/2 hour lesson, I'd prefer them to practice at least an hour. Then it goes up from there.....

I have a total of 1 hour of lesson time a week. I practice about 5 hours total separate from my lesson time.

Morgail
01-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Currently I have a 1/2 hour lesson each week, and then usually practice between 4-7 hours a week. I've never heard of any guidelines, but I'd guess it would depend on goals and whether the skater is an adult or a child.

kateskate
01-03-2007, 04:34 AM
I have 2hours of lessons a week and I practise outside of those times for about 3/4hours.

I like to try and practise for double the time I spend in lessons - like phoenix suggested.

Mrs Redboots
01-03-2007, 06:16 AM
1 was told 2 hours' practice per 15 minutes of lesson! But I don't get that much - probably skate 6-7 hours a week, and have 1 hour of lessons.

Rob Dean
01-03-2007, 06:42 AM
I've asked my coach, but, while commenting that she thinks I'm practicing adequately, she doesn't have a set answer. I was skating a lot in December and haven't analyzed it yet (except to conclude that I was too heavy on lessons vis-a-vis practice time) but my "normal" schedule would average out to 40 minutes of lessons and 120 minutes of practice time per week. (It's usually actually higher on the practice time, but that's what's built into the budget assumptions...)

Rob

Isk8NYC
01-03-2007, 10:34 AM
I usually recommend a 1 Lesson:3 Practice time ratio for my lower-level students. If you take a half-hour lesson, you should practice an hour-and-a-half each week.

More practice is always good, as long as you can practice on your own. I make a practice list and I'm trying to get my students to do the same. Otherwise, they get bored and leave the ice, which DOESN'T COUNT as practice time. (Nor do bathroom breaks, snackbar runs, or standing by the boards talking.)

Some people feel more comfortable, when learning new jumps or spins, only working on it during lesson time. It helps them prevent bad habits from forming. Others like to "fling and pray." (I love that term!)

Rusty Blades
01-03-2007, 10:56 AM
I skate 8.5 hours a week and have 2 30 minute lessons.

Hannah
01-03-2007, 12:26 PM
I do about 3-4 hours per 30-45 minute lesson in a week, but I don't always practice everything. A while back I spent a long time cementing my 3-turns the WRONG way, and since then if I'm not certain that I'm doing something right, I just leave it for the lesson. :roll:

Amandaskategirl
01-03-2007, 01:29 PM
I have two 30 minute lessons a week. I skate on 1 hour sessions so I have the other 30mins as practice time, plus I try and go to an extra session just to practice once a week.

I often feel that I need extra practice time! If I have my lesson in the second half of a session one time and then first the next time, I have no practice time at all in between.

NCSkater02
01-04-2007, 05:27 PM
I skate three times a week. One day is on my own. One is a 30-minute private lesson/30-minute skate. The last is 30-minute warm up into a 30-minute group lesson. So a total of two hours of practice to a hour of lesson.

I wish I could skate more, but life makes it hard right now. Damn bills keep wanting to be paid.:roll:

Emilyics
01-12-2007, 06:45 PM
I haven't asked my coach, but on my own I skate for 2 hours for practice time, and I have 1 hour of lessons a week

techskater
01-13-2007, 08:09 AM
It depends on age, level, and ability to remember what to work on. I have 2 30 minute lessons per week and I skate a total of 9