View Full Version : Champagne Toasts or Missed Resolutions (Practice Thread Jan 1st-7th 2007)

jazzpants
01-01-2007, 03:18 PM
FIRST LESSON/PRACTICE THREAD of 2007!!! Go at it!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/nahrung/f010.gif

Hannahclear
01-01-2007, 03:20 PM
I've been off the ice since the Friday before Christmas and am not planning to skate until this upcoming Friday. Chest cold from hell. Two weeks off and a competition to prepare for! 8O

Sk8pdx
01-01-2007, 04:36 PM
I've been off the ice since the Friday before Christmas and am not planning to skate until this upcoming Friday. Chest cold from hell. Two weeks off and a competition to prepare for! 8O

(((Hannahclear))). What a way to start off the year for you. :cry: Hope you are feeling better soon.

Jazzpants! LOVE the thread topic. How did you know this year was all about me? :P Even though I am not skating today, there will be lots of Champagne Toasts in 2007. You rock!:D :bow:

Emberchyld
01-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Champagne Toasts:

(even though it was technically last night0)-- skated a nice, fairly empty session on New Years eve-- I was the only semi-skilled skater on the ice and everyone else was attached to the wall, so it was an hour and a half straight of real practice. And my family really understood and gave me no grief after my explanation as to why it was so important for me to skate New Year's eve and day:

Last year, I could barely walk or dance and my life revolved around physical therapy. Skating was the first thing that let me fly... so it was only fitting that I ring in the new year with a celebration of the one thing that helped keep me going when I was virtually strapped down.

This morning, an EMPTY freestyle... so clean, empty, virgin ice allllllllllll to me :D I actually had to restrain myself so that I actually worked on all of the things I needed, rather than just go straight to the "Fun stuff".

Waltz jumps are getting nicer every time-- today, I finally got the edges dead on for take-off and landing, and the dreaded toepick scrape is coming in on only about 10% of landings as I learn to bend my knee and keep my weight back.

I managed one lovely spiral throughout the entire session (although I'm still terrified of those things)!

Missed Resolutions:

My right skate keeps coming unlaced! I don't know why just my right skate,, but it's getting on my nerves.

Not bending my knee enough on the waltz jump landing and not landing on the right edge has been taking a toll on the ligaments in the front of my right ankle... I'm always afraid of the twinge and pain becoming something worse!

And spinning! I look like a total dunce now that I have to spin CCW instead of CW... I can't get myself to transfer my weight enough to my left leg to spin properly!

And going back to work, with only 1-2 days of skating a week after being able to skate every day, sometimes 2x a day, is going to be very painful! I need to find a job that pays a lot and has very few hours, in order to feed my skating addiction!

Still, this looks to be a promising skating year!

DallasSkater
01-01-2007, 05:31 PM
jazz: Great title for this week!

Hannah: Healthy healing vibes to you!

Sk8pdx: you party animal ...you! giggle

Champagne toasts: returned to the rink yesterday and today after one week away for vacation. Took a while but finally was able to do a few of all that I know to date. It freaks me a bit to find how unsteady I am after only one week off ice but it comes back within 30 minutes or so. Wonder if it is because I have only been skating a year.

This month marks one year of seriously pursuing this hobby! Started in beginning adult LTS last year at this time and now will start in intermediate freestyle this week! One of the skills for this class is the sit spin. Really excited to attempt that. Not sure if I will take the power skating class with the freestyle class. Need to see who is teaching it as it varies and makes a huge difference in what is covered. Hoping it will be a coach that I want.

Missed Resolutions: Talking about a missed resolution...egads I came back from the cruise 9 pounds heavier...that is over a pound a day on a 7 day cruise....oink, oink! (I would at this point go into a description of the goodies I allowed...but that would only reveal my addictions! Noticed that I am just a tad too excited to share! Working out hard and power skating on both sessions has already taken off 2...amazing what happens when you stop eating 10 billion calories a day!

Noticed in today's session that I appear to have strained my calf muscle. (Maybe it sprained from attempting to carry 9 extra pounds!) Went to step class this morning but noticed nothing then. hmmmm. I was unable to successfully land anything without pain so stopped trying and just worked on spins. Still trying to get that pesky back spin. Sometimes I manage to get a few revolutions. My coach keeps saying she needs me to get this! I swear I am trying hard but seems so little progress on it.

Have had thoughts about not doing the competition in April. Still time to decide. Seems like a lot of pressure to me and thinking that I may be pushing it. I think I would like to do a smaller competition first or something. Will discuss this with my coach in lesson.

Tried to do pre bronze MIF pattern but it was during a public session and could not get it going well enough through the crowd..eeek. I have my MIF lesson on Thursday...something tells me that the coach will not be pleased.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Skate@Delaware
01-01-2007, 07:08 PM
My right skate keeps coming unlaced! I don't know why just my right skate,, but it's getting on my nerves.
Is this your landing foot? Try putting a butcher's knot in your bow (when you cross the laces first, cross again, then do the bow). That should help hold it.
for more on knot tying for shoes....visit:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm

Rusty Blades
01-01-2007, 07:09 PM
No skating (except Saturday) since before Christmas, except for my backyard rink. After a dump of 18" of new snow yesterday I spent yesterday afternoon and this morning trying to FIND my backyard rink! With the height of the snowbanks around it now, it feels positively subterranean! 8O But I did get it cleared and flooded and spent some time working on @$#%@ 3-turns!

Missed Resolutions: I WANT MY @$#%@# 3-TURNS!!!! I have NEVER worked so hard and long on anything without "getting it" :giveup:

Isk8NYC
01-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Great title, Jazzpants.

After a dump of 18" of new snow yesterday I spent yesterday afternoon and this morning trying to FIND my backyard rink! I'm still living vicariously through you. Sigh!

I used to work for a company with a big parking lot. Every November, they put up the ropes in the parking lot. Rumor had it that the intention was to prevent bombers from ramming the building. A real fear, given it was an oil company.

In truth, it was to guide the snow plows in clearing out the parking spots! I know the ground's frozen now, but maybe next year you could add a snow fence or something with stanchions so you can find and clear your rink!

Champagne Toasts:
I now have matching cotton laces in both pairs of my skates. Not much of an achievement, but one pair needed to be dyed and the other (100% nylon) was slicing-and-dicing my fingers as I tied them. Whew! Did a bit of a walkabout in the newbies tonight, just to keep working the leather.

Missed Resolutions:
Went to the Museum of Natural History, toting a suitcase full of skates. Wonder why they wouldn't let us check the bag? Hmmm. Unfortunately, Rock Center and Bryant Park were crowded. After looking at the store windows (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPmsKuV3wA8) and watching the Saks' snowflake carols (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg9RNhj6kTE), the kids were cold. Too bad - I can't remember ever skating at Central Park.

Rusty Blades
01-02-2007, 04:50 AM
I'm still living vicariously through you.

LOL! ***HUG***

they put up the ropes in the parking lot . . . it was to guide the snow plows in clearing out the parking spots!

Actually, my rink is slightly below grade (mistake #1) by 6" to 18". That was done to get level ground and to expose a natural clay base which was supposed to hold water and doesn't (mistake #2). I know where my rink is because of the depression in the snow. The problem, with all the snow and being below grade is that the banks are now higher than my snow blower can throw! If we get much more, I will have to move the snow banks with the blower or the dozer before I can clear the rink again. There will be a redesign for next year!

Mrs Redboots
01-02-2007, 08:42 AM
All the same, Dianne - a backyard rink? A private rink, all your own.... I am so green with envy! That could only happen in this country if one paid for the pipes and freezing element, or used artificial ice. Either way, prohibitively expensive.

Hannah, I wish you better.

As for me:

Missed resolutions: Well, the first skate of 2007 could certainly have been better! The rink was freezing, the ice was horrible, and we had a fall! Ah well....

In our practice/warm-up, we worked on 3-turns round each other, which we were having trouble with, and I also wasn't happy with our waltz hold, so we worked on both of these in our lesson. Usual thing of not enough pushing, not enough knee-bend, not enough keeping pelvis forwards. Sigh... Then we did swing rolls in Kilian hold, which he was pleased with ("They aren't perfect, but...."), and in reverse Kilian, which were not so good. Then we finished off walking through the Fiesta, but it felt like Husband slowed down into the Mohawk and I didn't, and that never happens! So we decided (our lesson by then was finished) to work on the change-of-edge, skating in hold, doing LFO, RFO, LFO, RFO-I change, LFO, RFO-I and so on down the rink. Which was fine, until somehow our blades came together (so not the first time this has happened) and we ended up flat on our backs. Luckily no tailbone, but I am beginning to feel it now where I landed! And my wrist was sore for a bit, but that's stopped hurting now and I never did think there was any damage.

Champagne Toasts:

Coach liked our forward swing rolls in Kilian hold. And, incidentally, our swing rolls in waltz hold the second time of asking.
After Husband had gone, I went and sat in the pros' room for a bit and got some waist-whittling exercises from the trainer, which is nice. And then came home and did them!

Just remembered another nice thing that happened - I was talking about knee strength, and showing my coach that I've started starting my warmup with deep kneebend lunges, you know, where you go right down on one knee with your weight fully over the skating knee. So husband promptly starting showing off how good his were - and the coach pointed out every single flaw in his technique, which were legion! Like he didn't even have his weight in the right place... Tee-hee..... :twisted:

Emberchyld
01-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Is this your landing foot? Try putting a butcher's knot in your bow (when you cross the laces first, cross again, then do the bow). That should help hold it.
for more on knot tying for shoes....visit:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm

Yup-- I'll land, feel like something's funny, try to do a back crossover, and then... whomp-- my ankle feels breezy and my skate laces are dragging on the ice behind me!

Thanks for the link-- that's a frightening number of knots!!!! But I'll try the butcher's knot and that website's secure knot and see if they help. I think I might also try a simple knot about halfway up my ankle before continuing all the way up-- I'm terrified now of the skate coming unlaced and my ankle buckling on the landing!

Joan
01-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Champagne toasts: I had a lesson yesterday and I "sort of" learned how to do a figures loop. Anything I can do with my edges besides crossovers is a major achievement!

Missed resolutions: I have some kind of bug and get tired really easily. So I only stayed on the ice for my 30 min. lesson and then left. And this is a case where my coach and I were the only ones on the ice! To have to give up that opportunity for private ice was pathetic, but I was afraid I'd pass out.

phoenix
01-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Yup-- I'll land, feel like something's funny, try to do a back crossover, and then... whomp-- my ankle feels breezy and my skate laces are dragging on the ice behind me!

Thanks for the link-- that's a frightening number of knots!!!! But I'll try the butcher's knot and that website's secure knot and see if they help. I think I might also try a simple knot about halfway up my ankle before continuing all the way up-- I'm terrified now of the skate coming unlaced and my ankle buckling on the landing!

:?: :?: I always double knot the bow on my skates. Doesn't everyone??

jenlyon60
01-02-2007, 01:33 PM
I lace up, tie the bow, then put the loops of the bow over a set of eyelets or 2, pull them tight, then tie another bow (which I double-knot) with the leftover lace.

Bill_S
01-02-2007, 01:34 PM

I don't, but employ a different strategy to help prevent loosening. On the top two hooks I loop the laces downward and around back up instead of the normal loop around/pull up motion. This causes the lace to cross over itself at each hook and reduces accidental loosening.

This has worked for me.

jazzpants
01-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Champagne Toasts

True to secondary coach's word (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=302425#post302425), she had me do brackets today... at least FO ones! They were kinda forced and slow but I could sorta do them away from the wall w/o holding onto anything!!! :bow: YAY ME!!! (Happy now, Mrs. Redboots??? And no, the BI ones were NOT easy for me! Can't seemed to rock to the back of the blade for dear life...) RFO was better than my LFO ones!

I did some forward stroking about 3-4 laps towards the end of the lesson where I was expected to go as fast as I can but still with strong posture and free leg straight. After the initial "tripping myself" over going forward, it wasn't so bad... that is when I remembered to think "straight legs" and "shoulders down." :roll:

Missed Resolutions:
Tried to land a clean loop after the lesson but was too tired after said lesson and felt my legs buckling under me. Opted to end on a good note and hit the showers!!! :D

I need to take lessons with my NYC coach more often!!! :mrgreen: (Apparently icesk8eprincess agrees -- she said the same too!!!) :twisted:

dbny
01-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Champagne Toasts:
Did get to the rink by 9:30 this morning and did skate for an hour. This is positive because I haven't skated for a week, was sick during that time, and got into my old habit of sleeping till noon. Tried three one foot spins and got them all.

Missed Resolutions:
Was supposed to be at rink at 8:30 and skate for two hours. Was so dizzy from spin that I could not do more than one without having to skate around a bit, hence, only tried three. The ice was very soft and slow, which may be why I caught an edge three different times on FO three turns and FI Mohawk.
Got very chicken from the near splats and left earlier than planned.

jazzpants
01-02-2007, 04:27 PM
was sick during that time, and got into my old habit of sleeping till noon.Don't feel too bad. And think of it this way -- it might be 12 Noon your time there, but it's 9am PST!!! LOL!!! (That's how I'm excusing myself from sleeping in 'til 10am EST on the days I don't have to get up early for my lessons back when I was in NYC.) :twisted: :P

Congrats on the one foot spins!!! YAAAAAAY!!!!

doubletoe
01-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Um, based on the problems I'm having on my flying camel and change foot combo spin, can I just call mine, "Missed REVOLUTIONS"?! :frus:

Emberchyld
01-02-2007, 05:04 PM

I double knot, too... what's happening is that.. somehow, the laces snake out of the hooks and drag loose behind me. I think what happens is that my bow must loosen after a few jumps and then it's just a matter of just a little bit of motion with my boot to make it unloop... the laces are still tied together, just not attached to the skate anymore. :??

I think if I can get a more secure knot, there's less chance of this happening. I hope

doubletoe
01-02-2007, 05:16 PM
I double knot, too... what's happening is that.. somehow, the laces snake out of the hooks and drag loose behind me. I think what happens is that my bow must loosen after a few jumps and then it's just a matter of just a little bit of motion with my boot to make it unloop... the laces are still tied together, just not attached to the skate anymore. :??

I think if I can get a more secure knot, there's less chance of this happening. I hope

If I understand correctly, you are saying the knot is still tied, but the laces have gotten unhooked from the hooks. If that's the case, you might not be tying them snugly enough through the foot (so the slack moves up to the ankle area as you keep bending your ankles). Or it could mean that you need to change the type of laces you use. Thinner laces stay hooked better than thicker laces. Also, nylon or cotton-nylon blend laces stay hooked much better than 100% cotton laces. I used to have 100% cotton laces and they would come unhooked after I'd skated for 10-15 minutes, which just scared the heck out of me. I switched to cotton-nylon blend and have never had that problem since.

looplover
01-02-2007, 05:35 PM
champagne toasts:
Did a bunch of waltz loops and then my coach helped me with them and they got better (hope you are listening, oh axel you). Did two clean flips today before I did a crappy one. Got 3/4ths around on a lutz.

Missed resolution:
Did a bunch of really bad waltz jumps in front of high level teenagers and felt like an awkward adult skater and figured they were probably rolling their eyes wondering why I take up their freestyle ice (I try to get over this and ignore it, but one kid has been playing chicken with me lately) (I have a complex)

Skate@Delaware
01-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Champagne Toasts: Went to the freestyle session today....which was wonderfully empty (maybe 5-6 others). Padded up and hit the ice and it was strange after not really skating in such a while. Went through my warm-up routine then hit my elements. Managed to hit some very nice waltz jumps with a straight leg and some air time (one was 6 feet between takeoff and landing). Worked on the new jumps in my routine and didn't kill myself so that's a plus! Also worked on my routine and did 2 runthroughs with my headphones on...sort of ok. I did end on time so that was good. Once it's smooth (work to do this week) I will work on presentation and the ending, which wasn't finished.

Did some loops....I am so close to landing them on one foot!!!! I know it's just laziness...

Worked on some dance for the exhibition-trying out some new music...might be interesting as it's faster!!! Have to check with my partner.

Missed Resolutions: got very dizzy after doing a spin and had to sit down for a minute on the ice...very strange feeling when everything is whirling around you!!! My spins were crap...can I blame the dizziness or something else? Not sure.

Also took a spill...was doing back swing rolls and leaned to far back...went over backwards hitting my elbow and shoulder. Nothing damaged though. Just one of those weird things!

And, just for fun, tried some toe-loops....at first I had a brain spasm...was 3-turning on the wrong foot....finally got it right and did some that were ok.

Towards the end I was getting tired...glad to be off; my stamina sucks-my legs were shaking when I got off the ice (yes, I did eat lunch had a cheesesteak, soda and chips, diet of champions!!!)

Sk8pdx
01-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Missed Resolutions:
oooo..bbrrrr! It was unusually ccccold in my rink today. During my lesson, I had to get off the ice just to get feeling in my fingertips back again.
3 turns:frus: :twisted: no more to say on that.

Champagne Toasts:
8O wow. Didn't realize how bad my crossovers really are but for the next 2 weeks I am going through intense lessons and practice on basics and Bronze MIF. Today was dissecting crossovers. It was actually refreshing to return to an elementary mindset and just focus on 1 thing. Bending the knees, free foot placement, holding, rhythm and timing. First we did forward crossovers on a circle, then coach applied it to the fwd power perimeter crossover pattern and it was amazing how everything just fit together.

Mrs Redboots
01-03-2007, 06:10 AM
On the top two hooks I loop the laces downward and around back up instead of the normal loop around/pull up motion. Surely that's the normal way of looping one's lace around the hook - most people do it over and down, not up, which doesn't give enough support.

Anyway, as for me:

Missed resolutions: "Old and cold" is what one skater commented that we were, and how I agree! The ice was masses better than yesterday, which wouldn't be difficult, but oh, it was cold! I had two layers and warm gloves and still wasn't warm enough - I think on Friday I'll wear a thicker top!

And oh, I am STIFF. Both my hamstrings ache and ache. "Good," said the coach, "shows you've been working!"

Spent most of the lesson working on getting my free leg back - crossovers to landing position, that sort of thing. And on the down-in-one-knee-straight-free-leg exercise (warm-ups), which he reckons is good for me.

Cross-cuts still awful, but gradually improving - the later this test is scheduled, the better!

With Husband, trying to do changes-of-edge hand-in-hand. Not a success. Will have to get the coach to look at them next lesson.

Champagne: Cross-rolls, however, "A whole class better" than the others; he thinks they are well passable now. Which is encouraging.

With Husband, lots of fast work in waltz hold. Some of it even semi-reasonable.... most of it still pretty poo, though.

Ally Pally tonight - I shall have to have a nap, or I'll never be able to stay awake. Assuming, that is, that I can still move by then!

Skittl1321
01-03-2007, 06:58 AM
Champagne A wonderful first lesson of the year! I hope that lessons with my new coach help me progress and are always fun. We worked a lot on moving 3 turns, getting the posture right- to do them really fast I need a hand (maybe I should be one of those dancers who just lets their coach pull them around?) but I'm getting better at the idea of it. Then we worked a lot on spins. AND I CAN DO A FEW REVOLUTIONS from a 3 turn entrance! YAY, no more hockey gliding. I also learned a salchow- although the 4 or 5 I did "GOOD!" were merely coincidence. Then we worked on jump combinations- bunny hop, waltz jump, side toe hop, salchow, toe loop- just to get the idea of putting them together. That was fun. One time I did it well, then I did it very badly.

Then my practice afterwards was great. I worked up a huge sweat, skated until my legs were jelly and went home. I was scared after 2 weeks off ice I wouldn't be able to stand up anymore.

Missed ResolutionsWe worked on spins from crossovers, and although I am mimicking the entrance from the crossover, I need to a) strengthen my crossovers on this side and b) get a much stronger left back inside edge.

During the lesson the coach must have thought I was an idiot becaue I couldn't figure out where to jump during the salchow and now, Um, I already forgot how to do the salchow.

My spirals are much lower than I thought. :(

sk8_4fun
01-03-2007, 07:09 AM
champagne Went on the patch this morning and ran through my canasta tango, among other things. Finally I can remember all the steps. I always get a bit lost during the cross roll. Today I finally got the timing right, and got on the right edge to start the pattern again.

Missed Didn't realise that the kids were still off school (mine went back today) at 10 oclock the rink filled up with kids and very loud music. I gave up and went home, then did 4miles on the bike instead:frus:

Skate@Delaware
01-03-2007, 08:10 AM
Ha! I forgot to add this: for the first time ever, another skater asked me for help on jumps! She was working on her loop and was having problems with it...she can do the jump but her free leg is not in the right position. I thought it was funny, since I'm still 2-footing it, but she said my free leg is in the right position and wanted to know how I managed that (yeah, me too!).

Notwithstanding the fact that the girl is about 13 or so...it was nice to be asked! We both started learning the loop at the same time (last spring) but she has hers (with good height too) but has a very open free leg. I passed on the tips I've learned over time and had her work on different entrances, because part of the problem is she is not crossing her free leg over enough-it's way out to the side when she jumps and slows down her rotation.

Maybe I should ask her for spin help next time-tit for tat-cause hers are very nice!!!

Rusty Blades
01-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Broken! (Resolutions): Wow! My head is still stuffed up but I didn't realize how much I was still effected by last week's cold until I stepped onto the ice this morning - very SHAKY on the old pins! Anything more than 1 revolution or 2 consecutive turns made me DIZZY! Warmed up a bit and then tried my program - YUK! Last time I skated it (almost 2 weeks ago), I kept getting ahead of the music - today I couldn't keep up.

Break Out The Bubbly! Since I had been struggling with 3-Turns for weeks and weeks, I told my coach I wanted to start 3-turns as if I had never done them before. Sure enough I picked up a difference right away from what I had been doing (regarding the upper body rotation and shoulder check) and started turning some half-respectable RFO3s - WAHOO! Sure, I still need to work on coming out of the turns properly balanced but if I can do that when I am sick, there is HOPE for 3-turns after all. :roll:

21 lessons & 22 practices left before competition.... 8-)

Kristin
01-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Skating resolutions! Great thread!!!

As my first year as a Silver lady, my resolution is to get a good competition performance on tape. :) My coach and I have been working hard since last summer to improve my technical skills on my jumps & spins so I am working to put all this good information together in the program and get it all on video. That would be a shining moment for me. 8-)

Team Arthritis
01-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Champange: My coach is GREAT!http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/fantasy/unicorn.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)
yesterday she started my lesson with "lets work on something fun" which I've come to learn is code for there's no way you can do this but it is way cool. So we worked on LFO rocker XF, push to BI rocker from the Junior moves test!8O We'd fight my body - she'd get to the middle of the exit edge of the FO rocker and push with one finger on my back shoulder saying "you need to check more HERE" and I could do it, well sort of. Of course I'd push off or 2foot the BI rocker, but what a blast! We laughed the whole time.http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/happy/cloud9.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)
damage from flying cork:
well just call me Chicken Fliphttp://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/animal0018.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)
Lyle

Scarlett
01-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Ok one of my skating revolutions was to "journal" so I guess this counts.

Missed resolutions: Am adjusting to new boots and new blades (both different brands) so everything is a little interesting. My forward spin is traveling so much people on the other side of the rink have to get out of my way (I'm exaggerating but not by much).

Champagne toasts: My turns are getting a lot easier. I even managed a counter on my right foot. Moves are coming along. Some are even deemed "passable".

das_mondlicht
01-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Champagne Toasts: today's session marked my 500th public session. Had a good practice on most of basics, some partial bronze moves, and dance steps. Also got nice twizzles. R twizzle almost squeezed another 1/2 out. L twizzle still needs some time to catch up. Also tried a new footwork from youtube(don't know what it is called): FO-closed-mohawk, XF BXOR, BI-mohawk(LFO, RBO behind L foot, XF LBI, RFI). I did it around the hockey circle first and then tried it alternating lobes. It came out very nice.

Missed Resolutions: BI3 no where to find...I kept leaning forward when turning. It looked like I am about to jump to FO...

Just found out the new footwork is actually in SkateUK Passport Bronze Dance.

Dance

Bronze
2 - LFO closed mohawk, cross in front onto a LBI. Step forward to RFI (x3) (L&R)

Skate@Delaware
01-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Champagne Toasts: went skating tonight at club-actually didn't fall or otherwise kill myself. Worked on all my moves etc. and FINALLY managed to do ONE centered spin (from the line only tho)...so something is wrong with my technique I'm guessing.

Jumps were all good (not the loop or toe loop or those stupid 1/2 jumps for my routine tho but lets not go there)...did some nice waltz jumps again and some nice salchows where I actually did NOT pitch forward!!!

Missed Resolutions: yeah, spins....and they kept turning the stupid music up...and playing the same songs over and over and over and over...:giveup:

Isk8NYC
01-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Champagne Toasts: today's session marked my 500th public session.Okay, I'll bite: how do you know it was exactly Public Session Number 500?

On Topic:
Skated at a nearby seasonal rink for all of 20 minutes before I taught a lesson. Really have to fit more actual skating time into my schedule, somehow. I DID have an hour of ice in the schedule, but I accepted a new private student for 30 minutes of that time. I'm a fool.

Champagne Toasts:
I'm getting those threes-on-the-line, but they're choppy.
Inside threes are great, though! Mohawks are back with a vengence and I didn't step on my blade and fall! Yay!
Edges are really biting the ice and making that lovely "rip" noise.
Back spins were terrific, the six I tried.
Started jumping (finally) in the new boots. I like them!

Missed Resolutions:
Crossovers in one direction are much stronger than the other.
(Guess the right boot stills needs a bit of breaking in time.)
Can't do sit spins in my ski pants, but I need the ski pants to stay warm while teaching. That's the oddest Catch-22 of the New Year!

das_mondlicht
01-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Okay, I'll bite: how do you know it was exactly Public Session Number 500?

:D :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: I stacked my numbered admission tickets in my Clinique Moisture Surge and Arden Eye Wish boxes...I occasionally keep some notes on them.

kateskate
01-04-2007, 06:28 AM
Champagne toasts

Had no corrections from super perfectionist dance teacher about my forward runs or back crossovers. He even said I did them correct, attacked and went faster! Amazing. Its only taken 2 years to get them how he would like. Of course my head could be up more.

Reorganised my original dance and finished the step sequence. I managed to do all he asked and some of it was really tough - FO rocker cross in front back inside change back outside back twizzle 1 ½ step forwards into inside 3. and inside 3 cross in front change to outside BO3-bracket. I think even he was shocked. I certainly was.

Free dance run through was pretty good considering I haven't done it in a month.

And I kept my resolution of warming up off ice

Did some decent high rotated off ice axels too. No time to try them on the ice. I will tomorrow.

Missed resolutions

Tripped myself up on a crossroll. Stupid!

Compulsories although ok step wise need more presentation. I need to extend my neck and ensure I am looking to one side rather than straight.

Weight transferrance on the willow needs to be quicker and 14 step needs to be sharper generally.

Had 2 very dense moments that exasperated coach - could not for the life of me understand what he was trying to get me to do with this counter into a drape for my free dance. He ended up taking it out. And I was being thick on my OD step sequence and did everything other than step forward onto inside 3. I did back outside 3s, twizzles, FO3s, STF. All wrong! I eventually got it.

I could not get the LFI3 cross in front RBI bracket to work at all. My FI3 swings too much and my left shoulder comes round too much. I can do the bracket off plain back crosses but not from the FI3 - unless I cheat and check the turn with my free foot back then bring my foot in front.

I miss free skating. Teacher is back next week.

Still fed up with the rink's new rules.

NickiT
01-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Champagne Toasts
First skate of the new year and first time on the ice after a two week break, but I had a great skate! Everything worked well and I pulled off some really nice camels and camel-sits. My second camel I counted the revs and I made five! It's lovely to get back and find everything is still there, if not better.

Nicki

jazzpants
01-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Champagne Toast:

First lesson with Primary Coach... and he has my music ready!!! Next week we'll probably start doing the choreography to my music. :D
Starting up on sit-backsit... I'm at least now trying to get down far enough to go down on the butt.
Sit spins are good. Scratch spins are okay. We worked on spin entries again. He says I sometimes "get lazy" on the entry and I can't do that anymore now. It got fixed right away...Missed Resolution:

OMG!!! The music *IS* FAST!!! 8O 8O 8O And LOTS of footwork too!!! Though primary coach assures me that I'll be JUST fine.... I don't believe him yet! ;)
Sit-backsit: Sat on the WRONG butt cheek!!! :roll:
Lots of ISI 3 change foot spin: Not spinning enough on the BO edge on the change to a backspin! :roll:
No clean loop or flip landings today either... but it was getting pretty close! I am raising my free knee up a bit more to get more on the landing side. The last loop try was very, VERY close to clean!!! (Just a slight brush!) We left it alone, b/c in the end there was a bit more progress!!! (He said that I'm attacking the jump more.)
Camel not quite there. My forward spinning side was feeling stiff (darn sciatic nerve again!!! :evil: ) towards the end of the lesson. But the VERY last camel was probably the best of the bunch.
Last but certainly not least: 55 kids on the public session -- many of them trying to go thru the center of the rink where the coaches are giving lessons!!! GRRRRR!!! :x :evil: :frus: (Hopefully it will be quieter next week.)

blisspix
01-04-2007, 10:52 PM
missed resolutions

I've been off ice since November (summer work schedule) and generally lazy. I am planning to get back in shape this year. With these crazy extended breaks I need to find lots of non-skating activities to stay in shape.

Champagne toast

I got a ProFiler in the mail after the good replies here and used it on my skates last night. I'm going to try them out at a public session tomorrow.

I found a yoga place one street over from my house that has a perfect class time for me - I'm going to try them starting next week.

Bought a skipping rope - it's great!

Ballet starts again next week, hooray!

pennybeagle
01-04-2007, 11:32 PM
mmm...toast.

Got new blades for Christmas!! Finally, I can lay my 4-year old Pattern 99s with no rocker left to rest. Mounted them, got them sharpened, and...

amazing... I discovered how to spin again! :)

I don't know if this has anything to do with the blades or not, but by some miracle, I can suddenly do the Foxtrot mohawk, too. And the outside counters from the novice moves. 8O

So I'm a pretty happy camper!

Isk8NYC
01-05-2007, 08:21 AM
Taught for an hour last night and was dying to use my new skates. The weather is incredibly warm, so I went to a small seasonal rink in Edison, NJ and skated outdoors where "no one knew my name!" Had a great time.

Champagne Toasts:
I love being an unknown at a rink. If I screw up something, there's no gossips watching and commenting.
Landed two flips on a flat, waltz jumps were okay. All other jumps s***ed.
Back spins are a wonderful thing on a crowded session - I can see where I'm going more easily and notice the idiot pre-teen working his text message while wandering across the middle.
THREE's ON THE LINE - 97% okay! Yayyy!
I DID BACK OUTSIDE THREE TURNS WITHOUT FALLING OUT. Okay, only on the right foot, but still progress!

Missed Resolutions:
My sit spins were waaay off. Maybe a sharpening would help.
Started working on cross-strokes and chasses. Not "a few of my fav things", but I need to get them smoother.

I really have to stop helping people at rinks. I spent about 15 minutes helping an adult beginner, which gave me cold feet (literally!) and I lost my energy. Skated a little longer, then went home.

Pop the Cork:
Stepped on the scale this morning - I'm down 30 pounds. Well, one resolution's working out. Two - I actually skated!

dbny
01-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Stepped on the scale this morning - I'm down 30 pounds. Well, one resolution's working out. Two - I actually skated!

WOW! Congratulations:

Missed Resolutions:
Tangled my feet and fell yesterday morning. Hit my right hip (the one that always hurts anyway) hard, but rolled and popped up off the ice before anyone could come running over to ask if I was OK. Afterwards, I realized my right wrist hurt quite a bit. When I got home I wrapped it in an ace bandage for the rest of the day. By bedtime, it was much better. The problem now is that when I woke up, my hip was so stiff and sore, it was painful getting out of bed. The upper back of my right arm and my neck are also sore. I'm considering cancelling today's lesson. I'll give it an hour and see how much better everything feels. It wasn't such a big fall, so this has to be my age kicking in :x.

Isk8NYC
01-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Take your ibuprofen and a hot shower. Put on ski pants (warm the hip) and a turtleneck (warm the neck). Do some gentle stretches to work out the kinks.

Then, get your butt over to the rink!

Rusty Blades
01-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Missed Resolutions: I have been fighting the resurgence of a NASTY cold (from last week) and spent most of the last two days curled up under a blanket. My right ankle acting up again - the one I sprained in August - maybe had something to do with doing 3-turns on the kitchen floor while cooking supper last night :roll: My coach didn't show up at the rink this morning - left an email for me at work - sounds like she has the same cold I have/had (and NO, I didn't kiss her! 8O ) Had my skates sharpened Wednesday so that pretty much blew a hole in my turns on the ice.

Champagne Toasts: With freshly sharpened blades, all my edges were really smokin' today :mrgreen: gawd I LOVE deep edges! I still didn't make back cross-overs but was getting speeds that were scary! - nice to feel the old power coming back. With freshly sharpened blades and one wonky ankle, most of my turns were pretty poor today but having solved the timing problem with my 3-turns, it feels like they are ALL "just around the corner" - did manage some back inside 3's and I had never attempted those before (intentionally!). All in all, a good practice and 4.5 hours more practice in the next 2 days!

das_mondlicht
01-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Champagne Toasts: had 2007 first lesson but Jan last lesson. Will be off-ice for the entire month. Started with Bronze moves run-through and corrections on the fresh ice with only coach and me, so I got the chance to see actual tracing. Both F/B perimeter XOR strokings are having good ice coverage, extension, and strength. Forward Power-3 is making a lot of progress. Coach used her red marker to draw my tracing. I thought I have pushed to the top of the lobe, however the tracing shows the turn still slightly before the top. Need to work on that! But some actually are very nice: equal entering and exiting arcs! BOXR-BOs have good push and extension, but need a little bit speed. Coach kept, "stretch each step!, stretch, strech, stretch, strech" on 5-step mohawk. It turned out very nice. Coach loved it! Me,2. I got nice work-out. :) At the end, coach said we can do the test when I come back!!! Yeh! Then, we continued dance patterns in solo mode. It went well. Coach asked me about preference of testing solo or with partner. I said I would like to learn to dance with partner. So, she will make the arrangement. Coach and I partnered first time. It was scary to skate so close. I kept looking down to avoid my wild swing leg kicking her...A good learning experience.

Missed Resolutions: had a bleeding nose and got very dizzy when spinning. So, left the lovely ice earlier.

Luna

Terri C
01-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Finally was able to skate this morning after a long work week ( this is my schedule for awhile :roll: :x )

Champagne Toasts:
Spins were good today for Primary Coach, but she still wants the sit lower.
Jumps ( sans loop) were fairly good today too. Nice empty public session for a bit. Another club in our area had their test session at our rink and their skaters were using the public ice to warm up.
Also, skating director was running the front desk and told me to just go on the ice- I didn't have to pay!

Missed Resoutions:
Everything was fine until I went for the loop jump. I fell on that and then the pain that I had had in my right Achilles tendon began to show up again. I kept at it again and again and then we went to do my test program. I skipped the loop part, but there was enough pain where I stopped the program mid way. :frus: :evil:

Major missed Resolution:
I remained on the ice after my lesson to try to get some of the loop mojo back. Then the older sister of one of our skaters comes out and tells us that the skating director said no jumping and no programs.8O :?? .
Okay I get that it was a public session and there were a few hockey guys out there stroking around. But why did this rule come up all of a sudden and why didn't the skating director come out and say so herself, instead of having some teenager who is NOT a rink employee do this?!

I did have a talk with the skating director afterward to inquire about what happened. She told me she instructed the teenager to tell her sister not to do those jumps ( uh sister was on a lesson with Coach!). I told her she told every single figure skater no jumps and no programs. Whatever. I better not get the same grief next Friday!

jazzpants
01-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Take your ibuprofen and a hot shower. Put on ski pants (warm the hip) and a turtleneck (warm the neck). Do some gentle stretches to work out the kinks.

Maybe I should have brought some leftover heat packs (intended for me and MY lower back) for dbny on my trip. 8O

dbny: Sorry about your hip pain! :cry:

I agree with the ibuprofen and a hot shower, whether or not you decide to teach today or not. And since you guys are experience record HIGH temps, as long as you don't do anything strenuous and be mindful of what you can and cannot do today, you should be okay.

It's not your age... it's probably a bad bruise! A few days you'll be back to normal (except maybe an ugly black and blue mark on your hip...)

BE CAREFUL about your wrist this week though. That's what I'm more worried about...

Isk8NYC
01-05-2007, 01:43 PM
I agree with the ibuprofen and a hot shower, whether or not you decide to teach today or not. I think she's TAKING a lesson and we don't want her to cancel that, do we?
Since she hasn't told me "MYOB", she probably went - good for you, DBNY!BE CAREFUL about your wrist this week though. That's what I'm more worried about...I'm not allowed to ask about her wrists, so I won't. I got The Lecture last time she smacked it on the ice and I worriedly inquired. Not making that mistake again.

doubletoe
01-05-2007, 05:53 PM
WOW! Congratulations:

Missed Resolutions:
It wasn't such a big fall, so this has to be my age kicking in :x.

No, it's not age; muscle soreness is very common the day after a bad fall! The muscles that engage to keep your head from hitting the ice react to a surge of adrenaline and contract very quickly and very hard when you fall, and you will always know exactly which ones they are the next day! As a matter of fact, I can often recreate exactly how I must have fallen just by noting which muscles I used to break the fall, LOL! (And the hip soreness just sounds like a bad bruise.)

jazzpants
01-05-2007, 06:23 PM
I think she's TAKING a lesson and we don't want her to cancel that, do we?
Since she hasn't told me "MYOB", she probably went - good for you, DBNY!Oh, I thought she was teaching, not taking her OWN lesson!!!

I'm not allowed to ask about her wrists, so I won't. I got The Lecture last time she smacked it on the ice and I worriedly inquired. Not making that mistake again. Oh? I didn't know about this!!! Weeeelllll, I look at it this way... if she's worried about it and posts about it... it's FAIR GAME for us to express worry and concern about her! :twisted: :lol: (You know I'm kiddin' 'ya on this b/c WE CARE!!!) ;)

das_mondlicht
01-05-2007, 06:36 PM
The problem now is that when I woke up, my hip was so stiff and sore, it was painful getting out of bed. The upper back of my right arm and my neck are also sore.

I fell flat in last Oct. I forgot I still have my blade guards on and smashed my L elbow and my L chest followed. The next morning when I got up, L side was OK but my shoulders and all around muscles got sprained. I used traditional Chinese way to it and the pains got released in 5 minutes. The pains never return. If you have some ginger at hand, just slice it and rub it against the affected area(a little bit heat also help). You should feel immediate relief.

Get well soon,
Luna

Tessa
01-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Dom -- put a moratorium on doing any back threes for at least 2 to 3 weeks. Just told coach I'd had enough. We ran thru all the other pre-juvie patterns and coach is sure they would pass.

Hangover -- put a moratorium on doing any back threes. Will I ever get those monsters????!!!:giveup:

DB -- hope you're feeling better.

dbny
01-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Missed Resolutions: I have been fighting the resurgence of a NASTY cold (from last week) and spent most of the last two days curled up under a blanket. My right ankle acting up again - the one I sprained in August - maybe had something to do with doing 3-turns on the kitchen floor while cooking supper last night :roll: My coach didn't show up at the rink this morning - left an email for me at work - sounds like she has the same cold I have/had (and NO, I didn't kiss her! 8O ) Had my skates sharpened Wednesday so that pretty much blew a hole in my turns on the ice.

Hope you and your coach are feeling better soon! I have to get my blades sharpened soon - dreading it.

Missed Resoutions:
Everything was fine until I went for the loop jump. I fell on that and then the pain that I had had in my right Achilles tendon began to show up again. I kept at it again and again and then we went to do my test program. I skipped the loop part, but there was enough pain where I stopped the program mid way. :frus: :evil:

Ouch! Hope that heals up soon.

Maybe I should have brought some leftover heat packs (intended for me and MY lower back) for dbny on my trip. 8O

dbny: Sorry about your hip pain! :cry:

I agree with the ibuprofen and a hot shower, whether or not you decide to teach today or not. And since you guys are experience record HIGH temps, as long as you don't do anything strenuous and be mindful of what you can and cannot do today, you should be okay.

It's not your age... it's probably a bad bruise! A few days you'll be back to normal (except maybe an ugly black and blue mark on your hip...)

BE CAREFUL about your wrist this week though. That's what I'm more worried about...

I think she's TAKING a lesson and we don't want her to cancel that, do we?
Since she hasn't told me "MYOB", she probably went - good for you, DBNY!I'm not allowed to ask about her wrists, so I won't. I got The Lecture last time she smacked it on the ice and I worriedly inquired. Not making that mistake again.

Oh, I thought she was teaching, not taking her OWN lesson!!!

Oh? I didn't know about this!!! Weeeelllll, I look at it this way... if she's worried about it and posts about it... it's FAIR GAME for us to express worry and concern about her! :twisted: :lol: (You know I'm kiddin' 'ya on this b/c WE CARE!!!) ;)

You guys are too funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: I did take ibuprofen and I did go to the rink. I happen to have had my own lesson scheduled today at one rink, and then was giving a lesson at another rink later, so you were both right, although the only one I was thinking of cancelling was my own lesson. As it turned out, my coach showed up, but thought I wasn't returning until next week, so no lesson. The lesson I was to give was at the outdoor rink, and got rained and high temped out. My coach was very sweet and apologetic, and I really didn't mind. My student's mom wanted to pay me anyway, and of course, I declined since the situation was out of anyone's control.

No, it's not age; muscle soreness is very common the day after a bad fall! The muscles that engage to keep your head from hitting the ice react to a surge of adrenaline and contract very quickly and very hard when you fall, and you will always know exactly which ones they are the next day! As a matter of fact, I can often recreate exactly how I must have fallen just by noting which muscles I used to break the fall, LOL! (And the hip soreness just sounds like a bad bruise.)

Ah, good to know, thanks!

I fell flat in last Oct. I forgot I still have my blade guards on and smashed my L elbow and my L chest followed. The next morning when I got up, L side was OK but my shoulders and all around muscles got sprained. I used traditional Chinese way to it and the pains got released in 5 minutes. The pains never return. If you have some ginger at hand, just slice it and rub it against the affected area(a little bit heat also help). You should feel immediate relief.

Thanks for the info. I don't usually have fresh ginger on hand, but could easily stop and get some on the way home from rink.

My knee is finally better 8O. I think it may be the greater amounts of ibuprofen I've been taking for the hip, so tonight I'm resuming my prescription NSAID that I had to stop taking when I got the tummy bug. I also apply heating pads to the knee and hip nightly for a few hours.

Champagne Toast:
I had a good practice even thought the rink was full of school kids who had been let out early. Slow but steady progress on FO and FI threes, one foot spin and FI Mohawks. I had a little fear on CCW BXO's when I realized that a click of death would clobber the sore hip, but got over that pretty quickly.

Missed Resolutions:
Developed a scary wobble and instability on CCW FXO's when doing them in a tight circle. Had DH watch and he could see it 8O. He also saw some of it in the CW direction, but I didn't feel it. I checked my blades, and they definitely are uneven and need sharpening, but my blade guy wasn't in today, so it has to wait. I hate freshly sharpened blades, but not as much as that horrible wobble.

mikawendy
01-05-2007, 09:32 PM

Just another here chiming in to say it's not age. I recently did a nasty hip flop (like a belly flop, only landed directly on hip instead) when I was trying to do a spin from T position on a line. I leaned too far forward, so instead of pushing from the inside edge of my back foot, my foot flew out behind me, I sailed forward into the air, and landed on my hip. I couldn't lie on that side in bed for a few weeks...

DallasSkater
01-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Champagne toasts: Attended my first private lesson and group lesson of the year. It feels good to be in regular routine again. I always did appreciate structure.

Skating two sessions today. Decided to go to a less busy rink for the afternoon session. Looking forward to it.

Missed Resolutions: My lesson was rather pitiful. I think I am still rusty from the break and skates needed to be sharpened again. Pre bronze Moves are really not ready for testing as I had hoped. Was sliding in the 3 turns on the pattern slightly. Did leave my skates for sharpening before the group lesson and it was better. Sliding was happening on my edge jumps too. Spins were traveling. Will really continue to at least regain where I was prior to break.

Group lesson is intermediate freestyle. He read the list of skills for this semester and I really feel intimidated! Thinking there is no way in 12 weeks that I will get it. Some self talk about just doing the best I can helped. Started with backward 3 turns. Had never done these before and can see it is going to take some practice to get solid. This instructor has body language that suggests he does not really care for me much (giggle....not sure why because I am adorable!). He is a strong coach and does well to explain but it is harder when you do not feel liked. I do not feel I did well with anything last night.... not helping my relationship with him as I think he really prefers high level skaters and the kids. Thought about taking the same class at a different rink in the area to give me two opportunities to work with a coach on same skills. But it appears that enrollment is down everywhere in our area and other rinks did not offer it this semester.

My private coach still had not cut my music. We discussed the April competiton. I feel that I am running out of time as I would need a ton of practice on it. I have no experience in competing or programs for that matter. Agreed to change the music to my second choice as she felt my selection was too slow and she promised to have it cut by my next lesson. Will decide later if I will attempt to do it in April.

sk8pics
01-06-2007, 09:40 AM
I figured I'd post here instead of in a new thread, since it is progress relative to a skating injury... so..

Champagne Toasts (Not that I'm allowed to drink, but anyway...) Last night I slept upstairs in my own bed (rather than downstairs on the couch with the cats) for the first time since the night before I broke my ankle! :D :D It took me 4 trips to move stuff upstairs and I still have a little left to go, but all in good time. It was fabulous and the cats weren't too upset! I didn't hear them at all last night. And this morning when I came out, they were not there waiting for me, but little Leo (9 months old and not so little any more) came around the bottom of the stairs and looked up at me and then ran as fast as he could up to see me. :lol: He was so excited I had to take a couple of minutes to pet him before I tried to walk downstairs. Callie was happy but more restrained since she is older, after all, LOL. Anyway, I even managed to take a shower and that was fabulous, too. Ah, the little things in life.

Missed resolutions I must have forgotten to tell my ankle that it is time to resume life because it is still quite swollen and so is my foot. But it doesn't hurt much and I am walking on it a little better each day. Still it is annoying. Next appt with the surgeon is on Thursday, so we'll see what he has to say.

DBNY-- Why do you hate newly sharpened blades? With all due respect, maybe your sharpener isn't very good. Granted, I always kept up with my sharpenings, so I never let the blades get too dull, but it only took me about 3 minutes to adjust to a new sharpening. My fabulous sharpener always did a great job. He always wiped them down with a stone or something to take off the burrs, and I never had any issues with turns or spins after. I just had better grip and more speed due to the sharpening. Maybe you could ask your sharpener to do the same?

Happy skating everyone. I'm living vicariously through all of you!

Terri C
01-06-2007, 01:25 PM
I figured I'd post here instead of in a new thread, since it is progress relative to a skating injury... so..

Champagne Toasts (Not that I'm allowed to drink, but anyway...) Last night I slept upstairs in my own bed (rather than downstairs on the couch with the cats) for the first time since the night before I broke my ankle! :D :D It took me 4 trips to move stuff upstairs and I still have a little left to go, but all in good time. It was fabulous and the cats weren't too upset! I didn't hear them at all last night. And this morning when I came out, they were not there waiting for me, but little Leo (9 months old and not so little any more) came around the bottom of the stairs and looked up at me and then ran as fast as he could up to see me. :lol: He was so excited I had to take a couple of minutes to pet him before I tried to walk downstairs. Callie was happy but more restrained since she is older, after all, LOL. Anyway, I even managed to take a shower and that was fabulous, too. Ah, the little things in life.

Missed resolutions I must have forgotten to tell my ankle that it is time to resume life because it is still quite swollen and so is my foot. But it doesn't hurt much and I am walking on it a little better each day. Still it is annoying. Next appt with the surgeon is on Thursday, so we'll see what he has to say.

Way to go Pat!!
After today's skating, I may be calling a ortho doc for me.

Missed Resolutions:
Spins were eh, but could not jump without pain on the landing. The pain is in my Achilles tendon area and today the pain went right up to my calf! :cry:
After a couple of tries, decided that no jumping today was the best solution. so Secondary Coach and I started to play with........

Champaign Toast:
SILVER MOVES!!
My attempts at power pulls are not bad, but can be comedic to watch at times. Right now I think the 8 step mohawk and the forward crosstrokes will be my favorite moves.

dbny
01-06-2007, 02:20 PM
IChampagne Toasts (Not that I'm allowed to drink, but anyway...) Last night I slept upstairs in my own bed (rather than downstairs on the couch with the cats) for the first time since the night before I broke my ankle! :D :D

DBNY-- Why do you hate newly sharpened blades? With all due respect, maybe your sharpener isn't very good.

Congratulations, Pat!!!

I have an excellent sharpener who does blades for many elite skaters and takes all the little steps necessary. The problem is that I let it go too long, and then have trouble adjusting. I've been trying to get the Pro-Filer, but that's been stalled. Also, since I teach learn to skate, the stop I use most often is the one foot snowplow (both F and B), which is almost impossible for me with freshly sharpened blades. T-stop is no problem, but not so good working in a group.

phoenix
01-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Champagne: I am officially in love with my music for my interp program for AN. My choreographer chose it, & I agreed after I'd skated around a little with it playing. But THEN, we started actually putting the program together today, and I love love love it!! It is difficult, but doable, I think. It will definitely challenge me!

Missed Resolutions: Now I'm going to want to work on the program all the time and ignore my compulsories, which are in no state to be ignored! Next test session I can find is March, so I need to keep at it to be ready.

Rusty Blades
01-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Missed Resolutions:

#1 - The ice today was CRAP - I suspect the last hockey game was played with tracked vehicles and live rounds! Either that or some nearly-blind farmer was trying to do his spring ploughing.

#2 - For not a lot of skaters on the ice, it seemed busy - everything I started to do, there was somebody in the way. As competition draws nearer, I will have to become MUCH more assertive about having space to work.

#3 - For some reason, maybe dehydration from my recent cold, my calf muscles were very stiff and kept trying to cramp. When my wonky right ankle started sending me nasty messages again, I decided to call it a day so I came home and flooded my backyard rink.

Champaign Toast: I think tomorrow I will skate at home, work on 3-turns, and if anybody gets in my way, I will tell them “GET THE @$#%@ OFF MY ICE!” 8O :evil:

BTW: I LOVE freshly sharpened blades! I love seeing how far over I can get on an edge without falling on my . . . posterior! Stop? Isn't that what the boards and other skaters are for?

phoenix
01-06-2007, 05:13 PM
I think tomorrow I will skate at home, work on 3-turns, and if anybody gets in my way, I will tell them “[b]GET THE @$#%@ OFF MY ICE!” 8O :evil:

You need a flag system like one of my pool-owning neighbors had when I was growing up. Fly a green flag, come on over & skate. Fly a red flag, go away & let me have private ice.

Debbie S
01-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Group lesson is intermediate freestyle. He read the list of skills for this semester and I really feel intimidated! Thinking there is no way in 12 weeks that I will get it. Some self talk about just doing the best I can helped. Started with backward 3 turns. Had never done these before and can see it is going to take some practice to get solid. This instructor has body language that suggests he does not really care for me much (giggle....not sure why because I am adorable!). He is a strong coach and does well to explain but it is harder when you do not feel liked. I do not feel I did well with anything last night.... not helping my relationship with him as I think he really prefers high level skaters and the kids. I'm not sure how your rink defines "intermediate freestyle" in their group lesson structure, but perhaps you should check with your coach to see if that is an appropriate class for you at this point. If the skills are beyond what you're currently doing and the other skaters in the class are much more advanced than you, then you should probably wait until you are further along in skill to take the class. Trying to learn skills you are not ready for, particularly in a group class where you won't get a lot of individual attention, won't be very productive. Most rinks have guidelines as to what skating levels particular classes are for and list those on the flyers, etc - you may want to suggest to the skating director that they do this, if they haven't already.

That being said, this is a group class, and the instructor should be prepared to deal with a variety of levels and learning styles. Assuming the class is OK for someone at your level, you have every right to expect that the instructor will treat you with respect. It's a given that anyone will struggle with learning new skills - if you could do everything perfectly the first time, then the class would be too easy and you wouldn't be learning anything. If the instructor is not nice to you, then I say don't take the class - no need to pay someone if you're not getting value.

However, do you think it's possible that you are being a bit too sensitive, and that maybe the instructor just has a particular personality or demeanor that might be different than what you are used to, but doesn't mean that he doesn't like you? I've noticed this sentiment - that a coach doesn't like you and/or is disappointed to be teaching you and/or prefers to work with higher-level skaters - in your posts before, about your coach and others. I've never been to your rink, and I've never met you or any of these coaches, but I can't help but wonder if maybe your feelings are more perception than reality. The fact is, if coaches are teaching group lessons/LTS, then they obviously like working with beginners or else they wouldn't be there. Most coaches, even those that coach high-level skaters, enjoy working with beginners, b/c they enjoy helping someone develop strong basics and they like the enthusiasm and wide-eyed-ness that beginners have. And in most rinks in the country, teaching lower-level skaters isn't just a matter of preference, it's a matter of economic survival - there are many more skaters in the Basic Skills through Preliminary levels than there are in Novice through Senior levels, due to attrition as a result of ability, boredom, puberty, money, and numerous other factors. There are only a few rinks and training centers in the country where coaches work with Novice or higher skaters all day. There are coaches in my area that have taken students to Nationals and Junior Nationals and they still coach kids at lower levels, and enjoy doing it, too.

Remember that you pay the same amount of money for skating and lessons and classes as everyone else, and you have just as much right to be there. And you shouldn't expect or tolerate less from coaches or instructors just because you are a beginner, or an adult, or whatever. Focus on your own skating, and your own goals and achievements and don't compare yourself to the kids, and expect coaches to do the same.

As for your program situation, how long has your coach had your music? I remember you posted about that a while ago. It's good that you got her to agree to a deadline, but I'm wondering what's been taking her so long - the program's only 1:40 max. If she doesn't have it done by your next lesson, I recommend you asking for it back and getting it cut by someone else. That being said, I think 3 months is plenty of time to prepare for a competition. For my first competition with a program, I think I had the program for about 6 weeks. Your program will not be perfect the first time you perform it; refining and improving your program is a continuous process.

Sk8pdx
01-06-2007, 05:59 PM
As for your program situation, how long has your coach had your music? I remember you posted about that a while ago. It's good that you got her to agree to a deadline, but I'm wondering what's been taking her so long - the program's only 1:40 max. If she doesn't have it done by your next lesson, I recommend you asking for it back and getting it cut by someone else. That being said, I think 3 months is plenty of time to prepare for a competition. For my first competition with a program, I think I had the program for about 6 weeks. Your program will not be perfect the first time you perform it; refining and improving your program is a continuous process.

I totally agree!
And yes, DallasSkater, if you are still skating under the same disgruntled director, the mood is only being passed on down through the coaches and onto you as the student. It may be a good time to step out of complacency and onto different ice if you need to. I would encourage you to still participate in competing. It will add a whole new context and reframe the way you think about skating (only adding more intensity to your skating addiction). And it is a whole hell of a lot of fun!

Champagne Toasts:
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/musik/n015.gif
Making progress on backspin and loop today in Jump and Spin class. My old coach said that I needed a sports psychologist and jokingly said that my backspin needs counseling. Do you suppose you could help me out a litte here Dallas? :lol: At the end of class she said I will have a solid loop by Valentines Day! I can feel the love!

I need more power! Worked on crossovers, 3 turns, and alternating back XO's to back edges for a whole freestyle session. I test in a week for Bronze MIF.

Missed Resolutions:
:frus: 3 turns as usual. They are like NoVa Skater's flap. They will never go away!:P

jazzpants
01-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Champagne Toasts:

I did make a teeny tiny progress on my loop. I've been practicing little loops near the wall and landing those loops... the stretegy I've been trying is to land a lot of little loops near the wall and then go out there to the blue line and pretend the blue line was the wall. Last night I *FINALLY* landed TWO little loops on that blue line!!! YIPPEE!!! :D :D :D (Of course, then I tried the bigger ones and landed two foot and then tried the tiny ones and couldn't land those again!!! :frus: )
Both RFO and LFO brackets are coming along. RFO is still the better one though. Hmmmm?
I'm incrementally building up speed so I can do simple jumps (waltz and sal so far) at faster speeds for the past month!!! Not quite at the point where I can do a full lap around at this point. (I'm doing more like a HUGE circle from the middle of the rink, around the end of the rink and then back to the middle, then FI mohawk into setting up for the jump. When I get this down w/o recovering from a heart attack, I'll try for the full lap around the rink set up again.)Missed Resolutions:

I was also trying for a backsit fall onto the correct BUTT CHEEK. Was too nervous about it (b/c the height from my butt to the ice is still too high and I didn't have padding on and I already have back problems from yesterday to deal with....) At the end, to get thru the mental thing about trying for a backsit and falling onto it, I aimed for a two feet backwards glide fall to get used to the motion of what I was going to do on the back sit! That went okay. I'll keep doing this and then try the backsit again at the next practice session.
No clean flip landings! Had quite a few land stumbles (almost clean landings if I just glided out. It was more "land on the correct but I'm not moving so I had to step out" type of landings!!!) :frus:
Camels.... BLEECH!!! :roll: (It's been on and off on progress....)

NoVa Sk8r
01-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Missed Resolutions:
:frus: 3 turns as usual. They are like NoVa Skater's flap. They will never go away!:PBEWARE the flap!!!

DallasSkater
01-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Debbie: It was very kind of you to attempt to process all that. However, I am in the appropriate level class. My LTS program does follow ISI specifically and I graduated beginning freestyle along with the other students in my class. We are all about the same level. FS ISI 3-4 are the skills for this level. I have tested through 2. The skills expected this semester still intimidate me..but I am not in a particular hurry to graduate LTS as it comes with a good deal involving free ice if enrolled. I think I am just surprised as I never thought I would attempt some of those skills when I started and time has passed quickly this year. When I started...I assumed that I would maybe one day do a waltz jump but anticipated that to be several years out. I just did not know that much about time frames and levels. It is shocking to me that I have any freestyle skills after just a year.

I don't believe I said that the instructor was not respectful. He is. I do notice body language a bit more than other folks. Has more to do with my professional training unrelated to skating than my strange obsession with it! giggle. If it helps, then let me say that I also observed that most of my previous LTS coaches really liked me! I have become friends with some of them outside of the rink. It might be why I am privy to more information than I probably should have about their attitudes.

I do think our coaches are under extreme pressure and I think you have read about my frustrations over some of the dynamics at our rink. My perceptions about some of the coaches preferring higher level skaters is not only an observation but comes from their direct assertion of such. Several acknowledge that they teach LTS because there are not enough high level skaters to provide a full income in our area. You cited this as well.

I gave my music to my coach in November. See why I am frustrated? There is always some reason it is not ready. I did assert that if it was not ready by next lesson I would work with another coach on it. I think it will be ready! giggle.

Sk8pdx: Yes, same trickle down director. I did check out some other rinks but found that most in my area do not have intermediate freestyle. I would have to travel too far to make it realistic for my schedule. I am doing much of my practice at a different rink and that has helped. Should have taken you to that one that crowded night we skated. Good thought though. Thanks for the encouragement about competing. I do believe I would benefit from the experience. Eventually I will. Just not sure it will be in April. But maybe!

On needing a sports psychologist for the backspin... I generally only treat things I do not suffer personally from (which is why I should hesitate accepting patients with schizophrenia! lol) Since my back spin is my current nemesis, I would be happy to assist with a referral! giggle...Your jump and spin class just sounds so neat. What day are you testing...want to make sure we send major good luck vibes on that day! I know you will do great.

Isk8NYC
01-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Champagne Toasts:
Started working on hydroglides with one of my students. I actually managed a few really deep edges and positions.
I think it'll be good for the student, too, LOL. He needs to work on body and strength positions, so this is a great exercise.

Missed Resolutions:
Back spins are fine; forward spins stunk. Jumps were miserable, but I WAS talking, demonstrating, and trying to jump. (Anyone have some chewing gum?)
Tried to get a quickie appt for a sharpening, but I struck out until next week.
I'm hoping that straightens out my spin problems, otherwise I have to have the blade adjusted.

I've resolved not to use the in-house pro shop for my skates.
My Pattern 99's aren't so good since he sharpened them, so I won't let him near my Gold Seals.

Times Square Stagger:
Here's a question for all you snowdoggies: does snowboarding help with skating arm positions? My two private students were insistent that it does. I think they're just justifying their snowboards to Mom, but they DID look much more improved this week. (We only did a few choruses of "Flip, Flop, and Fly.")

Jazzpants - One last compliment on this week's thread title. As you can tell, I loved it!

aussieskater
01-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Champagne Toasts:
[LIST]
Last night I *FINALLY* landed TWO little loops on that blue line!!! YIPPEE!!! :D :D :D
Both RFO and LFO brackets are coming along. RFO is still the better one though. Hmmmm?

Congrats on the loops! May they become ever bigger, higher, and stronger...then on to the doubles!! (8O :twisted: )

Re the brackets - I seem to recall that you're a CCW skater? If so, it doesn't really surprise me that you're finding the right-foot ones easier, as when doing them, you're pulling your right shoulder forward and your left back to do the turn (at least I do - so apologies if I'm using the wrong technique to get round!), which mirrors the "natural" twist of a CCW skater.

jazzpants
01-07-2007, 12:36 AM
BEWARE the flap!!!Especially if skaternum has a pair of scissors with her! (MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! DOWN with the flaps!!!) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Jazzpants - One last compliment on this week's thread title. As you can tell, I loved it!Well, thank you! I'm glad you liked them!!! :D :bow:

Congrats on the loops! May they become ever bigger, higher, and stronger...then on to the doubles!! (8O :twisted: ) Well, let's see if I even *GET* them the next time I skate! :P I may have just lucked out yesterday...

Re the brackets - I seem to recall that you're a CCW skater? If so, it doesn't really surprise me that you're finding the right-foot ones easier, as when doing them, you're pulling your right shoulder forward and your left back to do the turn (at least I do - so apologies if I'm using the wrong technique to get round!), which mirrors the "natural" twist of a CCW skater.Yeah, but I'm a CW skater!!! And yes, my secondary coach thought it was strange that I find the RFO easier b/c I spin the other way.

MY hypothesis on why RFO is easier is simply b/c I'm so used to turning on that right foot, no matter which direction. Then again, you would *THINK* also with that my RBO3's are easier too and that's NOT the case with me!!! :frus: :roll: Given that, I think, in this case, I'm just gonna opt for just recognizing my issues and fixing it, rather than trying to find out why things are the way it is! :lol: :P

techskater
01-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Jazz - I am a CW skater and found the RFO easier when I passed the Intermediate MIF (along with LBI) than the other and set my pattern to put that set right in front of the judges. Are you open hipped by chance? That was my coach's take on it and you are more used to the RFO edge (since it sets spins)

jazzpants
01-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Jazz - I am a CW skater and found the RFO easier when I passed the Intermediate MIF (along with LBI) than the other and set my pattern to put that set right in front of the judges. Are you open hipped by chance? That was my coach's take on it and you are more used to the RFO edge (since it sets spins)Nope! Very closed hip! To the point where I had trouble with inside spread eagle. I finally DID do them but with some coaxing from my NYC coach! (He had me do an inside spread eagle spin with him! Kinda tough, but actually FUN!!!) :D

But you might be onto something with the RFO edge for spins (and salchows too!) ;)

Debbie S
01-07-2007, 02:23 PM
I don't believe I said that the instructor was not respectful. He is. I do notice body language a bit more than other folks. Has more to do with my professional training unrelated to skating than my strange obsession with it! Uh, what you said was that the instructor was giving you signals (albeit non-verbal) that he doesn't like you and "not feeling liked" was causing problems for you as far as learning the elements and making progress in the class. If something is that blatant, I would consider it a lack of respect on the part of the instructor, as you are a paying customer and he should be treating all students in the class equally. However, if the instructor is being nice and helpful and you just have this nagging feeling about his personal feelings toward you, then I would forget about that and just focus on learning the skills and getting value in return for what you paid for the class. I would not get wrapped up in your "relationship" with the instructor or worry about what he thinks of you - after all, he's not even your coach; you see him once a week. Look, everybody is going to look like a fool the first time they try a new skill, especially as skills get harder (like freestyle as opposed to Basic Skills) - if you worry so much about how look or what others are thinking, then you'll never make progress b/c you'll never want to take any risks. Remember that instructors have seen it all before, and difficulties you are having are not any different than those of countless other students they've had in the past.

I have become friends with some of them outside of the rink. It might be why I am privy to more information than I probably should have about their attitudes. I think you may have hit the nail on the head here. We've had discussions about this issue in the past on SkatingForums, and while there was a range of opinions, I think the general consensus was that it is probably not a good idea to become buddies with coaches outside of skating. I realize these are not your personal coach(es), but they are still teachers and you are still a student. That doesn't mean you can't chat with them at the rink between sessions or at skating comps or shows where you see them, and if you see them at the grocery store or the mall, by all means, say hello, but that is different than hanging out with them on a regular basis away from the rink. Particularly in your situation, what you have learned about them appears to be creating some negativity. I would stop getting worked up about their teaching preferences or what they really think about the rink, and use your energy to focus on your skating and your goals.

As you skate longer, you'll see that there are many odd characters in skating. While most coaches are very nice, down-to-earth people, there are plenty out there that are scatterbrains and/or have very large egos or other hang-ups. You'll do best if you ignore all the craziness and focus on you, your coach, and your skating friends (fellow skaters).

As for your issues with your own coach....well, she may be one of the scatterbrains that needs to be prodded constantly to do things. You'll need to decide if you can live with that and if her positive qualities outweigh the negative ones - after all, nobody's perfect. But if she is Ms. Responsible with her other students and Ms. Scatterbrain only with you, then you may want to think long and hard about whether she is the right coach for you.

Skate@Delaware
01-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Champagne Toasts:

I did make a teeny tiny progress on my loop. I've been practicing little loops near the wall and landing those loops... the stretegy I've been trying is to land a lot of little loops near the wall and then go out there to the blue line and pretend the blue line was the wall. Last night I *FINALLY* landed TWO little loops on that blue line!!! YIPPEE!!! :D :D :D (Of course, then I tried the bigger ones and landed two foot and then tried the tiny ones and couldn't land those again!!! :frus: )How does one do a loop near the wall???? I'm game for anything at this point if you are up for sharing your tip...my loop has been 2-footed since day one :frus:

Champagne Toasts: We worked on those pesky 1/2 jumps today...since they have felt stupid since learning them (and my comp is on Jan 15). The 1/2 lutz and the 1/2 toe walley. Much better now that I know what my arms are supposed to do! And there IS a pull on the walley!!! Sheesh! Not that I can DO them any better!

Missed Resolutions: Did a program run-through...I don't think I've seen my coach so disappointed!!8O She was very nice about it though, "Do you think you will be skating much this week? And how many run-throughs do you have planned? How many have you done so far?" Yikes! I know it sucked (and I was EXTREMELY winded) :cry: My stamina stinks!!! Guess that I need to do some run-throughs at the gyms this week too!!!

Oh yeah, my spins have been traveling.....we worked on them (not that it helped much). Seems I'm bringing my free leg around too soon, and lifting that same hip. Hmmmm. Did try hard not to do that...oh well. I'm still tired from this morning!

I'm still trying to edit the video from our Nutcracker show....I've watched it a zillion times and either my dvd burner becomes disobedient or something else goes wrong.....i hate the music right now!!!!

DallasSkater
01-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Debbie: thanks for your attempt to support me. I think too much was lost through the format of posting. Either that or I am too whiney on here...lol.

Skate@Delaware: Another competition? WTG! But wait! I have not even seen video of Christmas program! Ooops just read about the DVD problem.

Champagne Toast: Practice this weekend has gone pretty well. I can now do a backward three turn inside on my good side fairly well. Outside on my good side is coming along but need to put my foot down too soon so not holding it well. Back 3 turns on my not good side is another story but I was pleased since I had not done them before. Will try the other side more next time.

My MIF pre bronze pattern is doing better. Sure made a big difference to have the skates sharpened. Seems I went through that last sharpening pretty quick! Waltz 8 looking like two equal circles. I was doing various sizes before. This was much to the dismay of my coach stating I was supposed to look very controlled...oh yeah.

Today a friend of mine skated with me. She said I inspired her to enroll her daughter in tots and she is now in beginner adults...AOSD is catchy! Would love to see even more adults at my rink.

Missed Resolutions: My spins are still not back fully. Hit and miss for them being centered. Jumps seem a bit hit or miss too. Hard to tell since weekends I can only find public ice with space issue. Trying to bend more but not sure if I am really doing it more or just thinking about it more..giggle.

Forgot to practice back spin today. Will make sure I try next time.

SpaMama
01-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Today a friend of mine skated with me. She said I inspired her to enroll her daughter in tots and she is now in beginner adults...AOSD is catchy! Would love to see even more adults at my rink.

Lots of Luck with me - after seeing my dd's lip do you blame me?? ha ha
My DD caught a toe pick and landed on the ice on her face early this week, splitting her lip and requiring 3 stitches. Nope - dont think the blue booties are going on anytime soon!!!

Spa Mama

Skate@Delaware
01-07-2007, 06:12 PM
WOO HOO!!! Dallas is doing BACK 3's!!!!!! Can I say I hate you? (not really but you know what I mean!!!) I'm jealous and proud of you!!!

I am hating my computer/dvd burner right now....

and I forgot to mention that I had the sharpener put a 7/16 roh on my skates (from a usual 1/2) because the ice over in Maryland is much harder!!! I am NOT looking forward to the competition...the only thing I've got going for me is.....I don't know???? I might wear my new dress (I just made it).

I have to post a ton of videos...I know!! (stretching, HC, Nutcracker, whatever else I have). I might put one up of my spins...you guys need a good laugh!!! I had a spin that traveled about 12 FEET!!!!! (it had 24 revolutions though)

Isk8NYC
01-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Odd session today: I had two no-shows, and my first private was late. The twins' coach went no-show and stood up my two kids, plus two other students. The public session started late thanks to Hockey. Ridiculous: the first game ran over, so they cut the second game by 15 mins, didn't cut the ice for hte third game, and they didn't cut the ice before the public session. We still started 10 minutes late! I'm thinking about changing my Sunday lesson rink and moving my privates to another day.

Champagne Toasts:
Jumps were great! Waltz, Toe Loop, Salchow, half Loop, and split jump.
MITF - added a bunch of back threes to my drills, which are very much needed.

Missed Resolutions:
Still working on the flip and lutz jumps, but they'll come eventually.
Rocking on the spins must be caused by the dull blades.

Confetti and Streamers:
Someone made a party mix CD, so we had lots of fun skating to the Macarena, doing the Chicken Dance, and of course, the Electric Slide!

Imo
01-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Champagne Toasts: Yesterday, I had my first lesson in far too long... it was great to be back on the ice! (About a year since I last skated, about 3 years since my last lesson...) Happily, I could still do jumps up to the flip. Stroking felt okay, although missing some power. Best of all, I had lots of fun and my new coach is great.

Missed Resolutions: Even though I could do them, all my jumps could use a fair bit of work, and I still need to try the lutz again. Spins were hit and miss... some were pretty good, some were travelling so much I think I might have collected frequent flyer miles. I know what I'll be working on next time...

All in all though, I'm pretty happy with my return to the ice. :)

Casey
01-07-2007, 08:20 PM
I did make a teeny tiny progress on my loop. I've been practicing little loops near the wall and landing those loops... the stretegy I've been trying is to land a lot of little loops near the wall and then go out there to the blue line and pretend the blue line was the wall. Last night I *FINALLY* landed TWO little loops on that blue line!!!
Errm, I thought you passed bronze freestyle already? How do you do that without a loop?

Good job in any case. :)

doubletoe
01-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Errm, I thought you passed bronze freestyle already? How do you do that without a loop?

Good job in any case. :)

I agree! Jazzy, I've seen your loop on video and it looks just fine to me! :)

Sk8pdx
01-08-2007, 02:19 AM
Lots of Luck with me - after seeing my dd's lip do you blame me?? ha ha
My DD caught a toe pick and landed on the ice on her face early this week, splitting her lip and requiring 3 stitches. Nope - dont think the blue booties are going on anytime soon!!!

Spa Mama

I hope your DD heals quickly. I will let you off a little but still have faith that you will skate someday. Soon enough you will be posting your frustrations on learning the loop jump too.

Dallas:
My first attempt at Bronze MIF is January 15. (oooo one week! 8O ).

S@D: My loops are two-footed too. :frus: I really need to practice them off-ice more. I know my problem is my weight is not transferred, arms and free-leg are -in the words of Dick Button- Flaling(sp?) everywhere....:giveup:

Missed Resolutions:
so much for practicing moves today. The rink was infested with little road bumps everywhere. So what do you do in a busy crowded session? practice spins.

Champagne Toasts:
A few perfectly centered scratch spins, sit spin and camel spin. worked on back spins too. inching toward progress there.

I sure am gonna miss this thread topic. :cry: but there will be more whimzical topics to come for sure.
Happy skating everyone!
sk8pdx

mikawendy
01-08-2007, 07:22 PM
How does one do a loop near the wall???? I'm game for anything at this point if you are up for sharing your tip...my loop has been 2-footed since day one :frus:

I've done this before, with an FI3 entrance, then for the loop after the BO edge, you hoist yourself up with the assistance of the wall, mostly to get the feeling of starting off of one foot and landing on the same foot. You stand facing one of the ends of the rink, with the boards at your side, ideally in a spot where there are just boards and not plexiglass above. What I can't remember is whether you start with the skating foot on the outside and the wall at your other side (so when you're on the BO edge, you'd have the barrier beside that side of your body) or whether it's vice versa--I'll try this tomorrow night when I skate unless anyone else here can remember....

Edited to add: I had trouble with two-footing loops for the **longest** time (months and months and months). I found that the back crossover setup and mohawk setup were both difficult in the beginning. I had more success not two-footing the jump when I did it from the FI3 entrance. I didn't have much power or lift, but it was what really got me to stop two-footing so much.