View Full Version : Registering for Pac. Coast Sectionals ???

Jeanmarie
01-01-2007, 02:59 PM
I thought that signing up for a competition would be easy, but I'm having trouble. I want to compete in No-test Ladies Freeskate at the Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals. I am NOT a USFSA member, and there is no club in my area (Bakersfield, CA). Is it possible for me to drum up a club membership and send my forms out by tomorrow? Also, is the Planned Program Content Sheet amendable? I have no program to speak of (yet). I could submit my elements, but they would not be in order.
Help Help Help!!!!

techskater
01-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Planned program content sheet is not required for No Test. That's for Gold and Masters.

You can sign up with US Figure Skating as an individual member today (or tomorrow). I think you can do that online but I am unsure about that. If you go to USFSA.ORG: http://www.usfigureskating.org/About.asp?id=6 you can try to sign up.

Good luck

das_mondlicht
01-01-2007, 03:54 PM
I joined USFSA online last Oct. It took 10 days to receive the package (rulebook, pin, directory etc.) and I found my member number from the packing slip. After a month, I got my membership card. You may want to try email memberservices@usfigureskating.org to query your member ID number after you apply on-line. They reply email in timely manner.

Good Luck,
Luna

NCSkater02
01-01-2007, 04:23 PM
I joined USFSA online last Oct. It took 10 days to receive the package (rulebook, pin, directory etc.) and I found my member number from the packing slip. After a month, I got my membership card. You may want to try email memberservices@usfigureskating.org to query your member ID number after you apply on-line. They reply email in timely manner.

Good Luck,
Luna

You got a rule book? The only thing I got from USFS was my membership card and Skating magazine. Am I missing something here?

Casey
01-01-2007, 05:20 PM
You got a rule book? The only thing I got from USFS was my membership card and Skating magazine. Am I missing something here?
You get a rule book if you pay for it...it's not included in the base membership cost.

techskater
01-01-2007, 07:51 PM
It is included in the Individual Membership price. Read the link I provided.

Isk8NYC
01-01-2007, 08:39 PM
It is included in the Individual Membership price. Read the link I provided.
techskater's correct; I receive a new rulebook every year after I renew my Individual membership. The first year I signed up as an individual, I also received a nice little USFSA lapel pin.

The Club membership is substantially less expensive than the Individual membership because of the reduced data entry and materials (rulebook, individual card mailing, propaganda) costs.

Jeanmarie - your best bet would be to become an individual member ASAP and call for your number. Club memberships would take longer to process at this time of the year because all the registrations are already in with the USFSA. Your registration might be held up by the Club and all registration ID numbers are assigned by the USFSA anyway. (I don't think Clubs have a list of "to be assigned" numbers anymore.)

I know you said that your rink used the ISI LTS program, so this might not be relevant. :) If you took lessons in a USFSA Basic Skills lesson program, the skating school would have registered you with the USFSA. Therefore, you would already have an ID number (even if you never took a standard/adult track test) that could be looked up and put on your application. If you call/email the USFSA, they can advise you of the number which can then become your individual membership number.

Make sure you note this on your membership application, especially if the skating school can give you the number. It expedites the USFSA's data entry. That would let you mail the comp form and get membership the same day!

You should put a note on your application regarding the postmark. The post offices are closed tomorrow so you CAN'T get it postmarked on/by 1/2/07 unless you had it done before midnight tonight. Tomorrow is the National Day of Mourning for former President Ford.

Debbie S
01-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Yes, if you took Basic Skills group lessons, you have a Basic Skills registration number that will be your USFSA number when you become a member. If your group lessons were ISI, then the USFSA will assign you a number when you join.

Are you sure that your comp app needs to be postmarked by tomorrow? I'm not familiar with the Pac Coast announcement, since I live in the Eastern section, but I know that the non-qualifying comp entry form for Easterns is not due until January 20-something. And the entry form must be mailed - online entry is only for the qualifying comp, which consists of the Champ events - Gold, Masters, Pairs, Dance. The open Gold and Masters events and anything below Gold is part of the non-qualifying comp.

Make sure you are looking at the Non-Qualifying comp announcement and read the rules for entry carefully. You will need a USFSA membership (either individual or through a club), but I suspect you have a bit more time than you think to get that done. And I second the recommendation of e-mailing the Member Services people.

Isk8NYC
01-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Hmmm. Easterns is the same comp date, yet the postmark app is due January 27th. Wonder why they're giving the Eastern non-qual entrants an extra three weeks over the Pacific Coast deadline?

According to the Pacific Coast pdf (http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/events/200607/adultsectional-pc/adultpacifics-nqannouncement.pdf), the deadline for both qual and non-qual entries is 1/2/2007.
However, the pacific coast competition organizers just posted this announcement (http://www.2007pcas.homestead.com/Schedule.html), extending the postmark deadline to 1/3/2007.

It's only a day, but it gives her some breathing room on the deadline.

Jeanmarie, you should also fill out and send in the Practice Ice (http://www.2007pcas.homestead.com/2007_PCAS_-_Practice_Ice.pdf) form as well.
(It's always a good idea to practice on the comp ice ahead of time, but it is optional.)
The organizers need to know in advance how much ice they need to accommodate the interested people.
If you don't fill it out, they might be able to help you at the last minute, but there are no guarantees.

Debbie S
01-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Hmmm. Easterns is the same comp date, yet the postmark app is due January 27th. Wonder why they're giving the Eastern non-qual entrants an extra three weeks over the Pacific Coast deadline?The qualifying comp deadline is tomorrow, but the non-qual deadline is Jan 27. Not sure why, but I guess the comp committee decided they didn't need the extra time to do the non-qual schedule. :??

According to the Pacific Coast pdf (http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/events/200607/adultsectional-pc/adultpacifics-nqannouncement.pdf), the deadline for both qual and non-qual entries is 1/2/2007.
However, the pacific coast competition organizers just posted this announcement (http://www.2007pcas.homestead.com/Schedule.html), extending the postmark deadline to 1/3/2007.

It's only a day, but it give Jeanmarie some breathing room on the deadline.Yeah, I just saw that. Interesting that both comp entries have the same deadline for 1 Sectionals, but not another. What's the situation for Mids? (Although I guess since the LOC for each comp has total discretion over the non-qual events, they can do whatever they want as far as deadlines go.)

NoVa Sk8r
01-01-2007, 10:32 PM
The qualifying comp deadline is tomorrow, but the non-qual deadline is Jan 27. Not sure why, but I guess the comp committee decided they didn't need the extra time to do the non-qual schedule. :?? But the qualifying deadline is set by USFS, not the LOC. So it could be argued that it is not the LOC that chose a later time, but the USFS who required (and requires) an earlier time to register the qualifying contenders. (But anyway, the LOC has 5 weeks to set the non-qualifying schedule; this is more so that at some competitions!)

But I guess you had noticed that for Mids and Pacifics, the deadline for both qual. and non-qual. is Jan. 2 (the non-qual. for Pacifics has since been extended to Jan. 3)? Maybe it's because life occurs at a faster pace on the East Coast. ;)