View Full Version : What Comes after passport???

sk8_4fun
01-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Given that its January 1st 2007, I have been evaluating my skating progress and contemplating goals for the year to come. I have managed to find the details of the LTS UK passport levels bronze - gold, but I havn't managed to find any information on what comes after that??? I would like to do dance and free. I read about 'moves in the field' and other stuff on these boards but havn't figured out the UK versions of these and the order they go in for each discipline? can anybody help?

Many thanks in advance

Sk8_4fun

BatikatII
01-01-2007, 10:28 AM
After passport you go onto the NISA levels for Free and Dance. Currently they are split into levels 1 to 10.

In dance most people work on levels 1 and 2 together and often test all 4 dances, (novice foxtrot(1), rhythym blues (1), Canasta tango(2) and Dutch waltz(2)) together. That should keep you busy for a while! In dance you can also test variations and free dances.

In Free you take elements tests and freeskating tests at each level. Your coach will have details but you would usually have a reasonable 3 jump, toe-loop and salchow plus upright spin etc for the free skate part (a 1.5 min prgramme to music of your choice). Elements test includes forward perimeter stroking, back crossovers to landing position, spirals forward and back (choice of leg), 3 rev upright spin from proper entry. A 3 jump, a toe-loop or salchow, 1/2 rink step sequence - not sure what else.

The Uk equivalent of moves in the field changes in January (well, now!)to a new structure called I think 'skating moves'. Previously there were seperate test structures for dance moves and for Field moves (Free skating). These will now also follow the levels 1- 10 and you have to pass the skating moves level to compete at that level in dance or Free.

you can get booklets detailing these from NISA or your coach should have them or your local skating club.

sk8_4fun
01-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks very much for that. I'll ask my coach about it when I go back next week:D

Mrs Redboots
01-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Elements test includes forward perimeter stroking, back crossovers to landing position, spirals forward and back (choice of leg), 3 rev upright spin from proper entry. A 3 jump, a toe-loop or salchow, 1/2 rink step sequence - not sure what else.I think - although this may have changed yesterday - that the back crossovers to landing position were on the Field Moves test, not the Elements. Certainly Husband didn't have to do them. He did perimeter stroking in both directions, forward spiral, back spiral (separately), 3-jump, toe-loop, upright spin and step sequence.

NickiT
01-02-2007, 09:15 AM
I think - although this may have changed yesterday - that the back crossovers to landing position were on the Field Moves test, not the Elements. Certainly Husband didn't have to do them. He did perimeter stroking in both directions, forward spiral, back spiral (separately), 3-jump, toe-loop, upright spin and step sequence.

You're right there Annabel. The landing position thing was definitely part of the novice field moves test, not level 1 elements.

Nicki

sk8_4fun
01-02-2007, 02:18 PM
You're right there Annabel. The landing position thing was definitely part of the novice field moves test, not level 1 elements.

Nicki

I'm confused again!! whats novice???

BatikatII
01-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Don't worry about the term Novice - it is what the first level filed moves were called up til start of January this year. They will now be called level 1 skating moves but I don't know if they are the same as the old ones.

So possibly old novice field moves = new level 1 skating moves but don't count on it!

Novice, Junior and Senior are also used in the UK to denote the levels of competitive tests for championships which is maybe one of the reasons they decided to change the basic tests to numbers to avoid confusion. It has taken them a long time (years) to get the field/skating moves changed over because they decided to scrap the seperate Free and dance moves and have one set of moves that both free skaters and dancers do.

sk8_4fun
01-02-2007, 02:28 PM
right, I see, thanks again.

Mrs Redboots
01-03-2007, 05:58 AM
They will now be called level 1 skating moves but I don't know if they are the same as the old ones.

So possibly old novice field moves = new level 1 skating moves but don't count on it! They aren't the same moves, but they are, I think, equivalent. I forget what exactly you have to do - after I've taken my level 3 dance moves, I'm going to go right back to Level 1 and work through and find out what I can't do and learn to do it, whether or not I pass level 3 (don't expect me to, but I've nothing to lose!).

kateskate
01-03-2007, 06:08 AM
They aren't the same moves, but they are, I think, equivalent. I forget what exactly you have to do

New level 1 field moves are

Forward edges (inside down one side, outside down the other)
Backward landing edges
Forward and backward crossovers in a figure of 8
Forward spirals

Mrs Redboots
01-03-2007, 06:18 AM
New level 1 field moves are

Forward edges (inside down one side, outside down the other)
Backward landing edges
Forward and backward crossovers in a figure of 8
Forward spirals

Thanks. It's the back crossovers in a figure 8 that I will be spending time on over the next few months - I do find the transition difficult! And the spirals - I am too old and too fat and too stiff and too unathletic to have a good spiral.

Tiggerwoos
01-04-2007, 06:40 AM
Can anyone tell me what is actually involved in the passport levels, Bronze, silver and Gold? Thanks:)

mintypoppet
01-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Freeskate

Bronze
1 - Forward spiral on either foot with flow
2 - Bunny hop into a forward drag
3 - Two foot spin (min 3 revs)
4 - Three jump

Silver
1 - Backward spiral on either foot
2 - One foot spin (min 2 revs)
3 - Teapot on either foot (forwards or backwards)
4 - Single salchow jump

Gold
1 - Backward outside one-foot spin (min 1 revolution)
2 - One foot spin (with correct entry and exit, min 4 revs)
3 - Single toe-loop jump
4 - Combination of skating movements, turns, jumps and spins in a short routine with or without music (max 1:30)

Dance

Bronze
1 - Forward open chasses / crossed (closed) chasses continuously on a circle (min 3) (L&R)
2 - LFO closed mohawk, cross in front onto a LBI. Step forward to RFI (x3) (L&R)
3 - Forward progressive runs (CW & CCW)
4 - Two consecutive LFO 3-turns followed by LFO sustained outside edge with free leg extended for a count of 3 (L&R)

Silver
1 - Forward progressive runs in a figure of eight (in Killian hold with a partner/coach optional)
2 - Backward open chasses (x3 on each foot) in a serpentine sequence
3 - Backward progressive runs in a figure of eight
4 - A 7 step dance sequence:
RFI open mohawk
RBO run
RBO cross in front LBI
Step forwards RFI
Repeat twice

Gold
1 - Forward run, Forward slip chasse (x3) (in figure of eight)
2 - Backward open chasses in a serpentine sequence (x3 on each foot) waltz hold with partner/coach optional
3 - Solo Novice Foxtrot with music. Correct pattern and 60% in time
4 - A 9 step dance sequence:
LFO progressive run
LFO closed chasse
LFO progressive run
LFO open mohawk
LBI

There's synchro and speed passports as well, but I haven't got the details to hand.

Tiggerwoos
01-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Brilliant, thanks Minty!

blueangelajd
06-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Hi, :D

I'm currently learning to skate through the skate uk programme and am on level 8 after 14 lessons. I am looking to start the skate UK passport scheme in August and I have a breakdown of the elements per level for that.

But...Does anyone have a breakdown of the elements required per NISA level? I understand the NISA levels 1-10 are the next step after the passport but I can't seem to find a breakdown of them anywhere.

Can anyone help me?!?!?

Thank you:halo: