View Full Version : order of elements for Pre-Bronze and Bronze tests?

TaBalie
12-31-2006, 12:05 AM
Happy New Year everyone!

I am taking my Pre-Bronze and Bronze MITF and freestyle tests on Thursday. Last week my coach went over the order of elements on the test (I had been practicing them will-nilly unfortunately), but I didn't write them down. Tonight I went looking for my rulebook and realized it was in storage.

I can ask my coach on Tuesday when I see her, but I would like to mentally get the order of elements sorted out this weekend if possible.

Does anyone know the order of elements? Is the order below correct? ...

Pre-Bronze MITF:
-Clockwise stroking/crossovers-at-end around rink
-Counter clockwise stroking/crossovers-at-end around rink
-Forward outside, forward inside, back outside, back inside edges
-Forward crossovers both directions (figure 8)
-Backward crossovers both directions (figure 8)
-Waltz-8
-Forward inside 3/Forward outside 3 pattern (LFI/RFO down one side, RFI/LFO down the other)

Pre-Bronze Freestyle:
-Foward crossovers, backwards crossovers
-Waltz jump
-Toe-Loop (or other single jump)
-Two-footed spin
-One-footed spin
-Lunge or spiral

Bronze MITF:
-Forward crossover to inside edge, alternating (around rink) (maybe called power crossovers?)
-Back crossover to step out, alternating (around rink) (maybe called power crossovers?)
-Forward outside 3 - crossover, RFO down one side, LFO down the other
-Back crossover to back outside edge, alternating (around rink)
-5-step mohawk

I apologize for not having the right names of the moves. I skated and tested as a child/teen (in Japan) and when I started up again last year I never intended to test so my coach and I never discussed the names of the moves (we were both old-school figures gals ;) ). After I decided to test, my (wonderful) coach told me many times of course, but I can't remember them for some reason...

Thanks so much!

jazzpants
12-31-2006, 01:18 AM
Hi, Natalie and Happy New Year to you too!!!

This link (http://www.usfigureskating.org/membernews.asp?id=248&sid=20822) will put you to the website to where all the USFSA judges test forms are. The order of the elements to be done is what the forms mentioned.

BTW: For FS tests, I have never needed to do the program in order and still passed. Most coaches don't really bother with that either. I figured if you didn't have to do a FS test program to music in the exact order of the test forms that you probably won't need to worry about the order in the "no music" Pre-Bronze test.

Then again, it also depends on your coach too! I know one coach that has this "mini Pre-prelim program" that he has all his students follow to do all the elements in the order of the test forms. Really interesting to watch two of his skaters do the EXACT same program and me thinking "Hmmmm? Didn't I have deja vu, or did I just saw this program... and with a different girl???" :lol: :P

But I do STRESS this... for the MOVES tests, you DO need to do the moves elements in the order of the test forms!!!

TaBalie
12-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks so much!

Your logic makes perfect sense re: the Freestyle test as well.

Okay, I am going to be "practicing" for my tests all day in my head -- wish me luck! :P

Bill_S
12-31-2006, 11:07 AM
I didn't know the order of the elements on my first moves test, so I just started doing them at random. I didn't think it mattered.

The judges put a stop to that in a hurry! I told them I didn't know the order, so they told me what to do next after each preceding element. They were friendly about it, but certainly insisted on the order listed on their judging sheets.

It makes me smile to remember that now, but it was disconcerting on the day of the test.

mikawendy
12-31-2006, 11:57 AM
TaBalie--
Good luck on your tests! I hope you have a strong skate and good experiences and helpful feedback from the judges.

And this may be too late for the two tests you'll be taking soon, but you might want to get a copy of the most recent USFS rule book, so you'll have the official source handy if you have similar questions in the future. (FYI, the USFS web site has rulebook corrections posted, including information on adult well-balanced program requirements--see the sticky thread topics in this On Ice Forum (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=21693).)

TaBalie
12-31-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips and well wishes!

I do have a rulebook, but I am in the middle of a move and dropped my rulebook in a box destined for temporary storage a month or two ago :'(

Debbie S
12-31-2006, 06:06 PM
Good luck on your tests, TaBalie! I'm sure with your skating experience, you'll have no problem.

You have the elements for the moves tests in order, although I have always seen the counterclockwise forward stroking (Pre-Bronze) done before clockwise, but I don't know if that is required. And for the 3-turns, I think most people start on the right foot - check the test sheet and ask your coach to see if there is actually a rule about it.

It looks like they changed the order of elements for Pre-Bronze FS from the way it was a couple of years ago. In my area, everyone testing Pre-Bronze FS or Pre-Prelim FS does the elements in the order they are listed the test sheet. I think the judges prefer that, so they know what you're going to do next. For FS tests with a program, as jazzpants pointed out, the order of the elements is the skater's choice.

cecealias
12-31-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi Tabalie,

If you can't remember the order of the moves, I'm sure the judges will be glad to help you out during the test! Where I skate, the judges always ask before the skater starts the test if they remember the order of the moves. (Although I've always been petrified of them while taking tests, they're really very nice people)

One thing that I didn't know until right before I took my prelim and pre-pre tests is that there are only so many strokes you can take before the actual move starts. I think it was 6 or 7? but you might want to check the rulebook.

I'm sure you'll do fine! Good luck.

techskater
12-31-2006, 07:10 PM
For most moves, intro steps cannot exceed 7 steps, however, on the Intermediate and Junior forward power circles, they must commence from a dead step and the backward power circles only allow the three turn to start if that is your method for commencing.

daisies
12-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Hi, I'm a judge and just want to confirm that you do need to do the MIF in the order they appear on the judging sheet. However, if you don't remember the order, it's perfectly fine to come back to the judges between each move and ask what the next element is.

For the pre-Bronze FS test, I don't mind a skater not doing the elements in order, but I have been on panels in which the other judges did want them done in order. One skater even had a mini program (no music) prepared and had to scrap it at the last minute. So just try to be prepared for anything.

Good luck!

phoenix
12-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Just for official clarification: for moves tests, you must do the elements in order. If you start one that's out of sequence, the judges can correct you with no deduction. However, if you do another one out of sequence (strike two), it's a .1 deduction. Whether the judges would actually utilize that rule, I don't know. My guess would be that at least on the first test they wouldn't, but I don't know. (or course, it's pass or fail, so there's no actual scores given)

If you have trouble remembering, write it on your hand! Or you may go back to your coach in between elements, & they can remind you too.

Mrs Redboots
01-01-2007, 08:15 AM
You're lucky! Our Field Moves and Dance Moves - from today, Skating Moves - have to be done non-stop! Which is fine if you're young and fit, less so if you're elderly and apt to be breathless.

Natalie, best of luck! I'm sure you'll pass the lot with flying colours, and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

TaBalie
01-01-2007, 01:29 PM
All the help and tips are so wonderful!

Thank you!

I will do a "full" report on Thursday... 8O

das_mondlicht
01-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Best Lucks to you!

For the field moves, my coach emphasized the order very much and told me if I ever forget what is next then come to the board for her. At the test, my judge was kind enough to tell me what and where to do the next move. I watched the Prelim girl and Pre-Juv girls doing non-stop move sequences at the test. So, you may have to remember Bronze move sequence(FXOR power stroking, BXOR power stroking, F power-3, BXOR-BO and 5-step mohawk). Practice them in order will help you to remember. You will be fine and doing great at the test.

Luna

blue111moon
01-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Go to the US Figure Skating website forms section and download the pdfs of the judges sheets for the tests you're taking. That's the order of skating.

Thin-Ice
01-04-2007, 04:47 AM
Good luck on your test TaBalie! You'll be fine... remember to smile and enjoy the ice!

We'll be waiting to hear your full report on how you thought things went and what the judges (and your coach!) said.

Hurray for the first tests of 2007!

Isk8NYC
01-04-2007, 08:47 AM
TaBalie - Best of luck on your test. Hope you get rave "reviews!"

jazzpants
01-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Good luck, TaBalie! We want details when you're done!!! :D You CAN do it!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

TaBalie
01-04-2007, 09:15 PM
(I have a stress fracture on my right/landing ankle, and have been instructed to wear a walking cast as of 10 days ago. Of course, I told them would do this *after* my tests! LOL :) The official testing session was this afternoon, but my coach arranged for me to test during a freestyle session this morning with one of the judges (only one judge is required for Pre-Bronze and Bronze tests. I did my Pre-Bronze MITF, Pre-Bronze Freestyle, Bronze MITF and then we were booted off the ice by a skating mom that thought it wasn't fair (no one had to leave the ice for my test or anything). Anyway, it is probably for the best. Now I can let my ankle fully heal, and take the Bronze Freestyle test in a few weeks).

Pre-Bronze MITF Results:

Forward Perimeter Stroking - Pass. "Nice stroking, like the way your feet come together.Posture: work on getting hips UNDER so shoulders not so far in front of hips"

Basic Consectuive Edges - Pass. "Very good form!" on all four. Also "Have u done figures?" (Yes I did them as a child).

Forward and Backward Crossovers- Pass. "Front-ok, but not always lifting free foot. Back - Nicely done!"

Waltz-8 - Pass. "Nicely done."

Forward Three-Turn Pattern - Pass. "Some wide stepping off the R03, otherwise ok."

Overall comments - " Very nice test!"

Pre-Bronze Freestyle:

Forward Crossovers - Pass. "OK. Think skating from whole head."

Backward Crossovers - Pass. "OK"

Spiral - Pass. "OK"

Two Different Jumps - "Waltz Jump, Sal."

1 Foot Upright Spin - Pass. "Almost perfectly centered."

2 Foot Upright Spin - Pass. "Good."

Bronze MITF:

Forward Perimeter Power Crossover Stroking, CCW - 2.6

Backward Perimeter Power Crossover Stroking, CCW - 2.5. "Like your form, you look in direction you are going."

Forward Power 3-Turns - 2.5. "Work on preparation for a 3 - a little off balance/wdie stepping."

Alternating Back Crossovers to Back Outside Edges - 2.5. "Tend to lean forward."

Five Step Mohawk Sequence - 2.5. "Stand up!"

(Total 12.6 - Pass)

Thanks so much for your well wishes!!!!

Debbie S
01-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Congratulations!

I can't believe some skating mom made the test chair end your test session. Actually, I'd be ticked off just as much at the test chair (or was it the skating director?) who followed skating mom's orders as I would be at the skating mom herself. The mom had no right to interfere in the test session, and whoever followed her orders needs to develop a backbone. But kudos to you for handling it well. Good luck on FS!

das_mondlicht
01-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Congratulations! You got 3 tests nicely done in one shot. That is excellent! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Luna

jazzpants
01-05-2007, 12:41 AM
I *KNEW* you could do it, TaBalie!!! YESSSSSSSS!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) CONGRATS to you!!!! One more test and you can compete alongside with me at AN 2008!!! :D (Well, not at the same event though... since you're in a different age group than me, but I mean meeting at AN...)

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/musik/k015.gif

ETA Note #1: Skating Mom is R-U-D-E!!!
ETA Note #2: Definitely give yourself a LOT of time to heal that ankle!!!

Mrs Redboots
01-05-2007, 07:03 AM
Well done! Sounds like you had a really good test.

Terri C
01-05-2007, 07:05 AM
CONGRATULATIONS and WELCOME to The Peanut Gallery and the quest for AN '08!
Funny thing is- this one judge test thing depends from region to region.
Last month at my test session, the judges were NOT happy with single paneling the preliminary moves tests, yet we had to do that as the ice time we had was tight. In addition, our skater that took the Pre Bronze moves and freestyle had all three judges on a test panel, as opposed to a single judge.
Do take your time with your ankle with the Bronze free- those jump landings may be pretty brutal!

Isk8NYC
01-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Bravo and Congratulations!

TaBalie
01-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks so much everyone, I am really excited!

I was testing during a morning (empty) freestyle session -- that is why the skate mom freaked out. Her son wanted to skate on the last 15 minutes of the free skate (which he certainly could have while I was testing-whether testing or having a lesson I would have the "right of way") and was b*tching and whining about how it wasn't fair that I was testing earlier in the day rather than later during the regular test session.

I tested in the morning because the official test session was *very* full, and even though I was the first to sign up for the tests, I have a flexible schedule testing in the morning was no big deal for me and it would allow someone else to test during the official afternoon session. This skate mom is notorious for being a pain in the neck to everyone, so I am not that suprised to be honest.

It is probably for the best anyway... I can get my ankle healed and give 100% to the Bronze FS test.

Now--on the Single MITF! Eeek.

cecealias
01-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Congrats girrrrrl!!!!!

mikawendy
01-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Pre-Bronze MITF Results:
...Basic Consectuive Edges - Pass. "Very good form!" on all four. Also "Have u done figures?" (Yes I did them as a child).

Congratulations on passing!!!

I love that question from the judge about the figures--the way it was written is a neat combo of old school (figures) and new school (AIM-speak--using "u" instead of "you") :lol:

I hope your ankle heals well. How did you realize that it was more than just a sore ankle?

TaBalie
01-06-2007, 12:55 AM
re: the sore ankle...

My right ankle just became progressively more and more sore (and more and more swollen) each time I skated. I went to my doctor about something else, and mentioned it to him and he took an xray and sent me to a physical therapist. For a few weeks the therapist had me icing, taking ibuprofen, and assigned gentle exrecise, but my ankle just got worse and worse. Finally, the doctor and physical therapist decided I need to just be off it completely for at least two weeks. At that time we'll check to see if it is better and re-evaluate. I am already going crazy at the thought of not skating!