View Full Version : I walked with a cane today!

sk8pics
12-29-2006, 03:12 PM
Okay, so I have a very pronounced limp. And so my stride isn't very long. But today in PT I showed my awesome physical therapist how I could walk without putting much weight on the walker (only since last night). And then I showed him how I can march in place without holding onto anything (the best I'd been able to do it yet). And he said, "Okay, let me stretch you first and then we'll try the cane." So, he stretched, I winced. Therapy didn't hurt so much before! We both laughed about how easy it was before but now it's definitely "no pain, no gain." After, he got a cane, gave me some instruction, and I started walking while he held my free arm. By the time I'd gone halfway around the lap he wanted me to do, I felt very secure and he let go of my arm and just walked with me. 8-)

I also learned how to step up onto a step with the cane. :D And did very well. He didn't want me to try the whole flight of stairs there yet, but Tuesday we will! And I'm supposed to use the walker when I go out (or at least take it with me) and use the cane at home. I have just 4 steps up to the level of my house with the kitchen and I may try them with the cane tonight or tomorrow if I feel strong.

I'm just so happy to finally be at this point! It's been such a long haul and such an ordeal, but things are (shhhhh.....) looking up, finally!

Everyone, have a happy New Year, good luck on all your skating endeavors, and thank you for all of your support!

jazzpants
12-29-2006, 03:39 PM
YAAAAY!!! Glad to hear that you're doing well in your recovery, Pat!!! :D :bow:

Isk8NYC
12-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Good news - another "step" in your recovery!

Debbie S
12-29-2006, 09:47 PM
Great news, Pat! Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing you walking at NYI. :)

Mrs Redboots
12-30-2006, 06:52 AM
Wonderful news! Glad you are making such a relatively fast recovery.

dbny
12-30-2006, 10:02 AM
SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

sk8pics
12-31-2006, 07:07 AM
Thanks everyone! I did try the stairs on Thursday evening and they were no problem! :P It's only 4 steps, but still. So some time this week I will be able to go all the way upstairs and sleep in my own bed and take a shower! Yippee! I'm getting my life back, finally! Of course, the cats will be so disappointed that I'm not sleeping downstairs any more, but they'll get over it.