View Full Version : new blades preliminary Pattern 99/Vision/phantom/parabolic ??

sk8mom2
12-29-2006, 08:53 AM
I am purchasing new blades for my daughter and would like some opinions if you have any expereince with these blades. She is currently 10 years old and in an MK select classic, working on preliminary MIF and all of her doubles. We are looking at the pattern 99 or MK Vision. I have heard the pattern 99 is harder to spin with the bigger rocker size, and both have the straight cut toe pick. I was thinking that a cross cut toe pick might be good, so I was also thinking about the phantom. We were also considering the parabolic. Any thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

Thanks! Sk8mom2

Virtualsk8r
12-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Can you get the Wilson Four Aces blade? It is a step up from a coronation ace but has a similar feel to the pattern. Also - take a look at the Ultima blades as there is one that is similar to the Pattern 99 and I know skaters who have switched without much difficulty.....(they are about $200 cheaper too! ) At 10 years old and just working on doubles, your skater doesn't really need the high priced pattern 99 or phantoms - especially since 10 year olds grow out of boots and blades fast.

I feel that the boot is more important than the blade at this point. A weak or poorly fitted boot will limit a skaters ability to feel the ice and therefore jump or spin properly.

Pattern 99's are great blades - in fact, spins increased in speed and stability in the skaters I know who use them. Elvis Stoikyo Brian Orser and Jeff Buttle all used them at one time or another ( or still do ). The run of the blade is a bit flatter for the triple axels.....

If you can afford to get on the Pattern 99 bandwagon - go ahead but remember once you step up to such a high level blade, your skater will not be able to move back down to a cheaper alternative without difficulty.

sk8mom2
12-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the info. It is good to hear from someone that the pattern 99 does not hinder the spins. I am just worried about moving to the larger rocker. I think I may try the parabolic?? Some swear by it, others say they can't tell a difference.

Debbie S
12-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Well, everything that I have read and heard would indicate that the larger the rocker, the harder it is to spin, b/c the blade gets flatter and it is harder to find the "sweet spot". The advantage of a larger rocker (found in Pattern 99s and Ultima blades) is that jump landings get a bit easier b/c the flatter rocker increases stability. Footwork also tends to get easier, but given your daughter's age and level, I wouldn't think she would need a flatter rocker - high-level skaters prefer a larger rocker b/c they are doing difficult jumps and aren't bothered as much by the spin issue b/c they are so experienced, as well as talented, at spinning. If she has been doing fine with the MK blades, then I would stick with MK and just upgrade to the Vision.

From what I have heard about parabolics, they really only make a difference for high-level skaters, like Novice and up.

Casey
01-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the info. It is good to hear from someone that the pattern 99 does not hinder the spins. I am just worried about moving to the larger rocker. I think I may try the parabolic?? Some swear by it, others say they can't tell a difference.
I can only speak for myself, but I moved from a 7' rocker blade to the 8' on Gold Seals, and spins were slightly easier, if anything. I also let a friend of mine borrow my skates one day when he was trying to figure out a mounting problem on his (he has Coronation Aces, which are 7'), and he didn't find them any more difficult either. I think it may depend on weight, but more than anything it's probably just a personal preference and you've just gotta try both to see what works best for each person, because I've heard a lot of people say that 8' is harder...

As for parabolics I got them with my new blades but probably won't bother with the next ones. It does make 3-turns and such very slightly quicker, which you can generally see if you watch skaters in competition knowing whether or not each has parabolics, but the difference is very subtle and personally I find that the regular blades result in a slightly more graceful look (and well, while I don't really have any complaints, I don't think the extra cost is justified). A practical consideration - they are more difficult to sharpen properly so if you don't have a really good sharpener available, go with parallel blades.

lillia
01-31-2007, 05:02 PM
I have had pattern 99 since i was about 9 years old.
And i've loved it the whole time.
The big picks helps you in the jumps and you learn to adjust your spinning-area when you have had them for a while.
It's a powerful blade, and i love it.
Keep it sharp ;)
/ia

sk8rabbi_07
01-31-2007, 08:06 PM
I am a novice competitor. I only have the pattern 99's parabolic but I wouldn't put anyone in preliminary in anything higher then a cornation ace. It's to much pick.

coolsk8ingirl
01-31-2007, 09:09 PM
When I was a preliminary skater, I had Vision blades up until the end of my PreJuv skating. Once I got up to into Juvenile, I moved up to Pattern 99 and I loved them. Now I am an Intermediate skater, and still have Pattern 99 blades and they are still the best blades i've ever used. If your skater is only in Preliminary, then I wouldn't use Pattern 99 because they are good for jumps (toe pick), but I don't think it was promised they would be extraordinary with spins. So therefore, if your skaters spins are below average, I wouldn't recommend the Pattern 99, but would recommend the Vision blades for a Preliminary skater working on double jumps.

sk8rmom2006
02-01-2007, 01:30 PM
I would recommend pattern 99. In any case, skater will have to adjust to high end blades. So if money is not an issue, go for it. My daughter was preprelimiary when we got her a pair of new pattern 99 blades. She was 8 year old. She was little. Actually, she is still little now. Her first pair of blades were used conoration ace. She took little time to get used to it. She had good spins to start with. After she got pattern 99, she did not lose any of it, actually she got much better. That was last year around this time. Now her feet grew bigger, we had to get her half size bigger boots. But the technician who fitted her boots and blades told me, we still have at least one more years of blades. So we keep it.

UDsk8coach
04-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I adore my Pattern 99's... Ive been in them 15+ years now, and can't imagine switching to anything else. I've heard good things about the Vision (I was in Vantage's before my patterns), and would recommend them as well. I haven't heard too many things about the Cornation Comet, altho I used those as well, shortly, before moving on to the Vantage/Vision blades. Go with what you are comfortable with tho!

singerskates
04-09-2007, 05:13 PM
I wished that I had stayed with at least a Pattern 99 type blade when I bought my Gams. Going down in blade level to the Ultima Legacy with the smaller rocker and smaller picks was a huge mistake. I wish that I had at least bought the Ultima Elites which are comparable to the Pattern 99s because then my jumps would still be higher and I'd would be able to still spin.

For me a bigger toe pick is actually better. Going from a smaller pick to the pick of the Pattern 99 didn't make me trip over them. And even if that does happen you soon learn to not learn so far forward in your skates while skating forwards. As for spinning and a more rounded smaller rocker profile actually made it harder for me to spin. I can't wait to get back into my Pattern 99's once I get my old Graf's fixed.

UDsk8coach
04-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Has anyone had any experience w the Kpick? I've heard mixed reviews on it, but I'm still on the fence... I'm considering getting them, but am a little nervous about it will affect my doubles, and, ultimately, my triples... I had a hard enough time learning them the first time, I dont want to have to relearn them! :P