View Full Version : Rink Reports and Reviews

LilJen
12-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Part 1 of the VT/NH area rink reports while we're out here for Christmas. I've never been to any of these places before so it should be interesting to see.

Today: Riley Rink, Manchester, VT. Nice facility--but can you say MEAT LOCKER??? Very, very cold inside; I think the walls are merely sheet metal so it almost might as well be an outdoor rink (it's about 20F out today). However, GREAT to have the Olympic size ice. It nearly made up for the gaggles of teenagers--who were either swooping all over uncontrollably or standing in large groups. The cold made the ice rather hard, which, while it did make it tougher to hold edges, also meant the ice wasn't nearly as chewed up as it is at home.

LilJen
12-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Today's rink: Union Arena, Woodstock, VT. One sheet of ice. Very crowded, which is to be expected the day after Christmas, not to mention we got a couple inches of snow overnight to cover the previously bare ground. The ice must have been very soft, or the skaters particularly harsh, because about 15minutes after a (really excellent!!! Good Zamboni guy!!!!) resurface, it was all chopped up again. By the end of session there were practically snowballs all over the place. Oh, and forgot to add: Excellent snack bar. I did not sample it but the smell of popcorn was delightful and very tempting!

Well, due to the crowd, no way could I do much in the way of moves practice or dance patterns. Plus an unfortunate number of sweet but skill-free dads hauling their kids around made things a bit treacherous.

Isk8NYC
12-28-2006, 10:53 AM
LilJen's been visiting various rinks and giving us reports on them. I just went to a rink that I used to skate at and found it was frozen in time - even the same wooden bathroom stalls! Thinking about it, I've been to a number of rinks in the past year and some of them need improvements.

I started this "Rink Reports" thread to collect feedback from actual skaters on different rinks, along with what's good and what could be improved at each rink. Feel free to add your own reports - it would help if you used the Title to identify location and rink so others can find the info with the search feature.

Isk8NYC
12-28-2006, 11:02 AM
The Warinanco Skating Center (http://www.unioncountynj.org/parks/iceskating.html), located in the Union County, NJ's Warinanco Park, is a picturesque seasonal skating rink. It was the home of the Union County Skating Club for years, but the Club is now defunct. :cry:

This is an open-air ice surface with a roof and three walls. There are bleachers for spectators to watch skating. The warming house is six-sided, and very quaint. There's a central fireplace pit that warms the room nicely on freezing nights. They have skate rentals and a snack bar, along with indoor bathrooms.

Best features:
The firepit, although it could use a good cleaning.
The six-sided room, which is a cool place to hang out while they cut the ice.

Needs Improvement:
The rubber matting has gaps and is usually very dirty.
The bathrooms need to be replaced and cleaned. (Fixtures are old and nasty-looking, no hot water.)

What would be really nice is to have some sort of a view from the ice surface of the park itself, which is lovely in all seasons.

LilJen
12-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Today's rink: Kimball Union Academy, Meriden, NH.

Decent standard-sized rink at a residential school (presumably of the upper-crust, college-prep type). Adequate Zamboni job just before I stepped on the ice and I was the first to start slashing it up. It was QUIET, too, and I so appreciated the lack of bad radio-station music (forgot the mp3 player, naturally; oh well). For the first several minutes of the session, as I tried the bronze power stroking moves, I could hear some nice rips on some edges.

The rink got very crowded very quickly with lil hockey players--population about 2/3 half-pints under 4 feet, 1/3 hockey parents. It was a game of dodge-em, and there was no way I was going to get any waltz 8 practice in with kids slashing through the middle of the rink in every direction.

Bill_S
12-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Bird Arena at Ohio University was built in the '60's, I believe. It had an addition in the '80s to increase the lobby area and to put in a comfortable mezzanine/viewing area.

Bird Arena is a seasonal rink open from around mid-September for freestyle (October for public sessions) through the end of March.

Here's the view from a skater's point of view looking back at the lobby and mezzanine above it...
http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/bird-arena-02bsml.jpg

Sadly, there is no insulation in the ceiling which limits the skating season to the cooler months. Also it gets very cold inside when the weather outdoors is below freezing. However it's a friendly rink for freestyle, and the attitude is less cut-throat than other rinks with year-round skating and coaching.

Parking is an issue (isn't that always the case in a university town?). The situation may get worse when the new student center opens for business on January 2, 2006. That's a mixed curse (opposite of a mixed blessing!) because the new student center is RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from the rink and will house a slew of restaurants and a coffee shop with a FIREPLACE! Here's a snap of the new student center as seen from the front door of Bird Arena:
http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/bird-arena-12sml.jpg

The mezzanine area provides a fairly warm place for skater's parents to watch the progress of their children. Cozy chairs and carpeting make it appealing, but it's of little use for the skater him/her self.
http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/parents-watch-sml.jpg

One area in which there is a decided need for space is the lobby. It's small even for just a handful of figure skaters, and vastly insufficient for heavily attended public sessions.
http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/bird-arena-10bsml.jpg

Freestyle hours are adequate (I usually skate about 10 or so hours per week), and include some early morning sessions for worker bees like me.

We have a couple talented coaches, but they are university students. That means the coaching staff turns over every four or five years. There's a move afoot by the figure skating director to make non-student coaches an option, but she will have to be creative because of the university's current policies.

Fees are very reasonable: freestyle ice time is $7 for 45 minute sessions, and around $30/hour for coaching. (edit: updated August 2008)

This rink is rather distant from other rinks. Columbus Ohio is about 1-1/2 hours away by car, so there's not much visiting by skaters from other rinks.

Bird Arena
102 Oxbow Trail
Athens OH 45701
(740) 593-4676

http://www.ohiou.edu/recreation/bird

Bill_S
12-28-2006, 07:18 PM
There are three Chiller rinks in the greater Columbus, Ohio area and each of them has two sheets of ice. These rinks are fairly new with large lobbies. They have always been busy when I've visited.

The newest and most impressive is Chiller North. Up next is Chiller Easton which is conveniently located next to a large upscale shopping area. Chiller Dublin is fairly far from the metro area. It was recently updated with new flooring, but it still feels like the oldest of the three rinks.

Restrooms have been clean when I've visited, and that's where I change into and out of skating clothes.

What I like: the freestyle sessions are all business, with plenty of talented skaters to learn something from.
It's managed very professionally (from my limited vantage point as an occasional visitor).
It's new, clean, and spacious.
There are plenty of glassed-in and heated areas outside of the ice for spectators/parents.
Availability of experienced coaches.
Plenty of free parking.

What concerns me: Popular freestyle sessions can be VERY busy, with high-level skaters zipping about everywhere.
Costs are higher than my home rink, but probably very reasonable compared to other rinks.

Here are some pictures of Chiller North which was just opened in 2006:

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/1chiller-north-frontsml.jpg
This is the parking area and entrance to Chiller North. All of the Chillers house two sheets of ice.

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/chiller-front-desk1sml.jpg
The front desk and skate rental area as seen from the 2nd story mezzanine.

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/chiller-north-from-mezzanine2sml.jpg
View of the figure skating side from the mezzanine.

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/chiller-north-from-mezzanine1sml.jpg
The large mezzanine is used by parents watching their skaters, or by the rink to host parties, etc.

The web site for the Chiller rinks is: http://www.thechiller.com/

cecealias
12-29-2006, 01:56 AM
Wow! nice rink.

sk8_4fun
12-29-2006, 03:35 AM
Very nice rinks Bill, and good photos too!

froggy
12-29-2006, 10:38 AM
There are two rink that I usually skate at Long Beach Ice Arena and Aviator

Long Beach Ice Arena

good points: recently changed ownership the new owners are into skating and are doing many things for the better, they expanded the lobby area, they'll be putting in a fireplace, and there are plans for dance sessions to come soon, the morning public sessions are great almost like a freestyle with usually no more than 10 people on the ice. during publics they cone a BIG circle for figure skating in the middle and most of the time staff is good about keeping wanna be hockey players away from the middle. plenty of free parking

needs improvement: the rink tends to be very cold so bundle up, very limited freestyle sessions in the late afternoon, outdated website

Aviator

good points: new rink with two sheets of ice, plenty of public and freestyle sessions even on holidays, great ice and good temp at the rink, beautiful new facility in a sports complex, they clean the ice on public sessions every 1 to 1 1/2 hours, after cutting ice they change directions, fairly good rental boots, plenty of free parking, up to date website with pictures

needs improvement: Sat nite public sessions are a nightmare very packed staff did not control coned center, no pro shop yet, website states classes they plan to have (ie: artistic etc.) but they have yet to open these classes

kateskate
12-29-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm furious at my rink at the moment so I will resist an angry message - but all the other rinks look so nice. I wish I got to skate at one of those all the time.

Mrs Redboots
12-29-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm furious at my rink at the moment so I will resist an angry message - but all the other rinks look so nice. I wish I got to skate at one of those all the time.Come down to Streatham sometimes - it's very far from perfect, but a lot better than yours (which I really don't like, I have to admit!). Husband would be more than delighted to dance with you on Thursday evenings (I seldom go to that session, but always enjoy it when I do), and there are one or two other men who would prove good partners for you, too. Also don't forget Alexandra Palace club night on the first Wednesday of this month at 8:45 pm (Christmas music again next week, alas!).

kateskate
12-29-2006, 11:10 AM
I am seriously considering another rink as mine is difficult.

What are the evening session times at Streatham just out of interest?

Ice Dancer
12-29-2006, 01:32 PM
This is my rink, taken today

http://www.plantsandgardens.net/rink1.JPG

Sorry about the quality, it was taken on phone.

Things I like

The staff are all really nice and friendly.

The shop is second to none, owned by the guy who works in it who really knows his stuff.

I have got to know a lot of the people who go so I nearly always see someone I know.

Lessons, private or group, are coned off and the usual rules do not apply.

There is a sports bar above with a large window looking down to the rink, so when I take my bloke he can sit up there with a pint and watch.

Doesn't apply so much to rink itself but it is in a good area, with a cinema, pool, gym, bowling and some pubs/restaurants/fast food joints in the same place.

Things I Don't Like

The ice cuts are often REALLY bad. It is not unusual to get snow like ice.

There is no session for beginners only or no hockey skates like there are at other rinks in the area.

It is freezing!

The changing area and toilets are in desperate need of an overhaul. They are digusting.

My lesson starts at 7:15pm, they only serve you and let you from at 7:00. If there is a queue this does not leave much time to get sorted, and it was worse before I had my own skates as you had to queue twice.

Mrs Redboots
12-29-2006, 02:03 PM
I am seriously considering another rink as mine is difficult.

What are the evening session times at Streatham just out of interest?Patch varies - Tuesday and Thursday it's 16:30-19:00, Wednesday it's 19:00-20:00 and Friday it's 16:30-18:00. Figure Club is 19:00-20:00 on Tuesdays, and Dance Club the same time on Thursdays.

I think the Tuesday and Thursday evening public sessions are okay, if crowded - they start at 20:00 and there are adult learn-to-skate classes for the first half hour. I think closing time is 22:00 but Clare will know better than I do, as she skates on the sessions and I don't. I think on Wednesdays and Fridays they are more disco-type sessions, but I could be wrong about Wednesdays.

NickiT
12-29-2006, 02:58 PM
This is my rink, taken today
<snip>
Sorry about the quality, it was taken on phone.

Things I like

The staff are all really nice and friendly.

The shop is second to none, owned by the guy who works in it who really knows his stuff.

I have got to know a lot of the people who go so I nearly always see someone I know.

Lessons, private or group, are coned off and the usual rules do not apply.

There is a sports bar above with a large window looking down to the rink, so when I take my bloke he can sit up there with a pint and watch.

Doesn't apply so much to rink itself but it is in a good area, with a cinema, pool, gym, bowling and some pubs/restaurants/fast food joints in the same place.

Things I Don't Like

The ice cuts are often REALLY bad. It is not unusual to get snow like ice.

There is no session for beginners only or no hockey skates like there are at other rinks in the area.

It is freezing!

The changing area and toilets are in desperate need of an overhaul. They are digusting.

My lesson starts at 7:15pm, they only serve you and let you from at 7:00. If there is a queue this does not leave much time to get sorted, and it was worse before I had my own skates as you had to queue twice.

I've never skated at Basingstoke myself but my daughter competed there this year and last. It seems like a good rink, but the one thing that I really don't like is the fact that it's so cold. Our rink is so warm that it comes as a shock. By the time my daughter skated her artistic programme later in the day there was a fog hanging over the ice due to the cold temperature, and all her photos have this misty effect because of it! The area is great though. Plenty to do with the kids if they have time to kill between classes and some good places to eat around there too.

Nicki

Clare
12-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Patch varies - Tuesday and Thursday it's 16:30-19:00, Wednesday it's 19:00-20:00 and Friday it's 16:30-18:00. Figure Club is 19:00-20:00 on Tuesdays, and Dance Club the same time on Thursdays.

I think the Tuesday and Thursday evening public sessions are okay, if crowded - they start at 20:00 and there are adult learn-to-skate classes for the first half hour. I think closing time is 22:00 but Clare will know better than I do, as she skates on the sessions and I don't. I think on Wednesdays and Fridays they are more disco-type sessions, but I could be wrong about Wednesdays.

Tuesday and Thursday public sessions are 8pm-10.30pm and are usually busy at first but then start to ease off for about the last hour or so of the session. Wednesday public is 8pm-10pm and seems to be the quietest of all the evening sessions. Weekend daytime sessions- don't go there!!

Clare

LilJen
12-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Hey, a thread all my own!!

Bill, I went to the Chiller North a few months back when I was in the Columbus area. It was a Sunday public skate but not at all crowded and the ice was nice.

Today's venue: Nelson Worthington Rink at Memorial Park, Brattleboro, VT. A seasonal rink that I imagined would just be in a field at the park but it was actually covered, sheet metal/meat locker style. So, yeah, it was cold, but I was prepared with a hat. Nice ice, and an **adults-only session** was a welcome reprieve from the many children who have been scaring the )(@)#(*$ out of me all week!! :) And a bargain at $3 for a non-resident (WOW!!!)

Very friendly environment, there were 10 people at most, one taking a lesson, one evidently from the figures era (very very neat style of movement). The latter gave me a tip as my 3-turns were pathetic. Another middle-aged dude complimented me on my spiral, and I did likewise--for a guy he really got his leg up nicely and the arms were also nice. It was a hard-working crew there; one woman had recently passed her Gold moves test.

The bad: Windy, confusing detour to get there because a covered bridge was being repaired.
The good: Classical music being played during the entire session. Granted, it was kind of greatest hits of the 1700s, but still, soooo much better than most radio station dreck.

Bill_S
12-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Hey, a thread all my own!!

Bill, I went to the Chiller North a few months back when I was in the Columbus area. It was a Sunday public skate but not at all crowded and the ice was nice.

I wondered if anyone here had been to these rinks!

I too like their ice. They do a good job. Public skate attendance is unpredicatable. I've seen some where you couldn't fall down if you wanted to - but that's mostly at Easton which is close to the big shopping area. I suppose parents drop their kids off while they shop.

Chiller North is a bit out of the way, but not as far as Chiller Dublin which is in the middle of nowhere. Too bad both are nearly 100 miles from my home though. I'd like to go there more often, but logistics largely prevent that until summer.

max
12-31-2006, 04:00 AM
Here is a link to our rink which we, obviously, think is the best in the UK!!

http://www.icesheffield.com If you click on the main picture you get a virtual tour.

Happy New Year to you all

NickiT
12-31-2006, 04:46 AM
Here is a link to our rink which we, obviously, think is the best in the UK!!

http://www.icesheffield.com If you click on the main picture you get a virtual tour.

Happy New Year to you all

Yep. I agree. iceSheffield is fantastic!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
12-31-2006, 07:03 AM
Here is a link to our rink which we, obviously, think is the best in the UK!You certainly have far and away the nicest off-ice facilities, and can we have the British Adults there again in 2007, please????

This (http://streathamicearena.co.uk/) is my rink. They are going to build a shiny new rink next door within the next couple of years, and then it will close, but for now, this is home! And this (http://streathamicearena.co.uk/) is my teacher - he isn't quite such a thug as that photo makes him look!

samba
12-31-2006, 11:32 AM
You certainly have far and away the nicest off-ice facilities, and can we have the British Adults there again in 2007, please????

I will second that!!

This (http://streathamicearena.co.uk/) is my rink. They are going to build a shiny new rink next door within the next couple of years, and then it will close, but for now, this is home! And this (http://streathamicearena.co.uk/) is my teacher - he isn't quite such a thug as that photo makes him look!

I'm glad about that, I wouldnt like to meet him on a dark night looking like that!!

jazzpants
12-31-2006, 01:34 PM
Mrs Redboots: You gotta tell your coach to NOT put his police record mug shots on the website. It scares a lot of potential clients off!!! LOL!!! :twisted: :lol: :P

This is my home rink (http://www.skatebowl.com/htm/yerba_buena_skating_home.htm)! And the parorama view of the rink is now on this page (http://www.skatebowl.com/htm/yerba_buena_links.htm). (Isn't that a beautiful rink, though??? Nice, open, airy!!!) :)

Ice Dancer
12-31-2006, 02:13 PM
This is my home rink (http://www.skatebowl.com/htm/yerba_buena_skating_home.htm)! And the parorama view of the rink is now on this page (http://www.skatebowl.com/htm/yerba_buena_links.htm). (Isn't that a beautiful rink, though??? Nice, open, airy!!!) :)

That is such a lovely rink! And I love the fact they recommend you take photos, you aren't meant to in ours without permission which I think is way OTT!

SkatingOnClouds
01-01-2007, 01:29 AM
OMG I am sooo jealous!!! I will have to get a photo of our rink when it re-opens in another week, then you will understand why.

Most of the pictures here look like the sorts of rink I see only in my dreams.

Mrs Redboots
01-01-2007, 08:18 AM
That is such a lovely rink! And I love the fact they recommend you take photos, you aren't meant to in ours without permission which I think is way OTT!Not really; don't forget you might accidentally take a photo of someone under 18 without their parents' permission.... and in today's climate, that's a huge no-no!

Bill_S
01-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Not really; don't forget you might accidentally take a photo of someone under 18 without their parents' permission.... and in today's climate, that's a huge no-no!

I find that restriction in the UK to be unbelievably broad - broad enough to limit perfectly legitimate activities in everyday situations. I understand the
purpose of such a restriction, but I'd wager that it has little effect on the problem itself while turning ordinary citizens into suspects.

Private rinks in the US can individually make rules like that, but if they're open to the public, the rules are probably unenforcable in a legal challenge. It's different if an event is closed to the general public and there exists an "expectation of privacy".

Bill_S
01-01-2007, 10:21 AM
The Dispatch Ice Haus attached to the Nationwide Arena is a modern rink with clean facilities. It is the official practice rink of the Columbus Blue Jackets professional hockey team, so the public skate hours are irregularly offered. It is managed by Chiller LLC, and it's public skating hours can be found posted on the web together with the other Chiller rinks.

http://www.thechiller.com

Unfortunately for the past two summers, it has been closed to the public except for special events like the popular Skate for Hope (http://www.skateforhope.org/) charity show. I hope that it's open this summer, but it probably won't be given recent history.

http://www.nationwidearena.com/graphics/arena/ice_haus.jpg
(Picture of the Dispatch Ice House linked from their own site)

Here's a later picture taken in 2008:
http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/dispatch_ice_haus-2-600.jpg

What's Nice:
BIG windows along one wall with a view to the outside. Nice natural light!
Clean.
Some of the best ice maintanence I've experienced.
Free parking in an attached parking garage if you get your ticket stamped at the desk.
The Arena District is home to many fine restaurants and other entertainment venues for after skating activities.
Plenty of warm windowed seating for spectators.
Public sessions are often lightly attended, especially at noon. Last time there, I shared the ice with two other skaters for the last hour of a public session. It essentially became a freestyle session with all of us practicing moves, jumps, spins, etc.

Gripes:
Limited and erratically offered public sessions.
It's been closed for the past two summers. (Grrr! It's the closest rink to me other than my seasonal home rink.)
I'm unaware of freestyle sessions being held there (but see comments about public sessions above.

Dispatch Ice Haus
Nationwide Arena
200 W. Nationwide Blvd.
Columbus, Ohio 43215
614-246-3380

Ice Dancer
01-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Not really; don't forget you might accidentally take a photo of someone under 18 without their parents' permission.... and in today's climate, that's a huge no-no!

Yes but you could do that anytime when taking a photo. England has got way to "politically correct" in my oppinion.

Mrs Redboots
01-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Yes but you could do that anytime when taking a photo. England has got way to "politically correct" in my oppinion.Mine, too. You barely dare say "Hi" to an unrelated child these days.... poor kids!

NickiT
01-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Mine, too. You barely dare say "Hi" to an unrelated child these days.... poor kids!

The whole photo/video thing has gone way too far in my opinion. It got to the point during our ice show that we were unsure where we stood if we wanted to video own kids. Of course we had a professional video done but in a group of 40 kids, what's the chance of them catching your own? In the end it was agreed that we could video our own kids providing we had paid for the professional video and we had sought the manager's permission as well as being a parent of a club member. So any grandparents, aunts or uncles were basically unable to take video. Crazy!

Nicki

Clare
01-02-2007, 05:11 PM
This (http://streathamicearena.co.uk/) is my rink. They are going to build a shiny new rink next door within the next couple of years, and then it will close, but for now, this is home!

Same rink, different teacher!

http://streathamicearena.co.uk/pro_hailston.htm :)

Clare

Morgail
01-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Great thread! I skate at two rinks (the only two rinks in Louisville).

1. Alpine Ice Arena
http://www.alpineicearena.com/index.html
I love this rink. It's old, family-run, and feels like home (probably because I practically lived there as a pre-teen/teenager). I take my lessons at this rink. It's mostly ISI for figure skating, but there is a USFS club also. There are no freestyle/club sessions. Lessons are on public ice. Sessions cost $6. The rink was created in the early 60s, and was outdoor in the beginning. By the time I started skating there (in the mid-80s), it was almost all enclosed, and now it's entirely enclosed. It's a seasonal rink, running maybe Sept. through April. It could use some updating (and the bathrooms are a little scary, but I think all rink bathrooms are), and zamming a little more often would help. But the people are friendly and the atmosphere is comfortable and fun. I also really like the ice at this rink - it's not too soft, but not too brittle.

2. Iceland
http://www.skatelouisville.org/index.html (This is the club website; the rink doesn't have one.)
Here is a link to a photo of the rink, since there isn't one on the site: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/morgail/13-1.jpg
This rink is much newer. I think it's about 10 years old now. It has two sheets of ice - one intended for hockey and one for figure skating. Public sessions land on both, depending on which one is free. The USFSA club is very active, and there are several club sessions to skate on ($10 for an hour). Public sessions are $6. Because it's not as old, it seems cleaner to me. Bathrooms are bigger, and the lobby is spacious. There is an upstairs that has a view of the figure skating rink (though I've never been up there). This rink is year-round, but has a tendency to randomly cancel public sessions. I don't get the "home" vibe I get at my other rink, but the people are nice enough.

Other rinks that aren't too far away:
-Lexington Ice Center (Lexington, KY) - http://lexingtonicecenter.com/
I did some ISI comps there as a kid. I remember it being nice, and located in the middle of a subdivision.
-Hamilton Center (Columbus, IN) - http://hamiltoncenter.net/
A dual-ice sheet rink. I skated there one summer and remember it being nice.

ETA: Here is a link to a photo of the figure skating rink at Iceland: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/morgail/mespinning.jpg
I don't have a picture of the inside of Alpine, but you can find a few on the website (under Special Olympics, I think).

Mrs Redboots
01-03-2007, 06:02 AM
Same rink, different teacher!

http://streathamicearena.co.uk/pro_hailston.htm :)

Clare

Which is a seriously flattering picture of him - wonder how long ago it was taken!

Isk8NYC
01-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Last night's (7-9pm) rink was the Roosevelt Park Family Ice Rink (http://www.co.middlesex.nj.us/parksrecreation/icerink.asp) in Edison, NJ. (Just below the Menlo Park Mall.) It's a small, county-run seasonal rink. The location is beautiful - it's set on a little pond that sparkles next to the ice. Loverly. Not expensive - $5 for the public session; or buy a multi-session pass: $20/5 sessions, $40/10, $115/30. Very reasonable.

The ice surface is smaller than most rinks, but the ice was being cut really well when I arrived. (Electric resurfacer, I think.) It was chopped up within an hour, but the session was pretty crowded for the size of the rink, so that's to be expected. The guards made a huge figure skating area with the cones. Later on, they coned off one end of the rink for an ADULT BEGINNER GROUP lesson that started at 8pm. (It's an ISI WeSkate program. $98 for 7 half-hour lessons.)

The place was incredibly clean and sanitary, from the rubber floors to the immaculate (ladies) bathroom, right down to the snack area. The snack bar had nothing fancy on the menu, just hot dogs, pretzels, and pizza. However, it was clean and the ladies working there were friendly.

I wore hard guards to walk around in because the outdoor areas had carpeting and some exposed metal drainage hardware.

Their rental skates are very good, although they had eyelets only with nylon laces, so no one really had well-tied skates. Lots of floppy puppies on the ice. There were quite a few hockey wanna-bes, but the guards kept them in check. (I did know one of the guards, so I may have gotten some preferential treatment.)

All in all, a very nice way to end the night.

It is a seasonal rink - the season is Nov 22, 2006 through April 1, 2007.
The skating schedule is HERE (http://www.co.middlesex.nj.us/parksrecreation/icerink.asp) on their home page.

In addition to the public sessions, they have freestyles on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4-5pm. I believe the freestyles are sponsored by a skating club, so they're not published on the web. They are on the printed schedule you can pick up at the rink. It's $13 for drop-ins, less if you buy the pass. (5/$55, 10/$110, 15/$155) The guard said they get a lot of adults on the freestyle sessions.

BTW, NO HOCKEY at this rink. Also, no hockey lines or circles. Plain ol' white ice.

What I Like:
The location, cleanliness and family atmosphere.

Things to Improve:
Add some evening freestyles for adult figure skaters. (I counted five on the ice last night.)
Wish the ice surface was larger, but that's not going to happen.

jenlyon60
01-05-2007, 08:42 AM
I skate at 2 different rinks:

Ashburn Ice House (www.ashburnice.com)

Likes: Generally very nice ice. Lots of benches. Relatively warm (even on the coldest days we've had so far this winter). Also has a very good pro shop with a really good skate technician.

Dislikes: The ladies bathroom (can't comment on the men's). It is often untidy and has an odor (I think the plumbing isn't venting correctly).

Skatequest Reston (www.skatequest.com)

Likes: Hard fast ice. Debit card system for paying for freestyle sessions

Dislikes: Coldest rink in area, I think. Not very many benches.

flying~camel
01-05-2007, 08:58 AM
-Hamilton Center (Columbus, IN) - http://hamiltoncenter.net/
A dual-ice sheet rink. I skated there one summer and remember it being nice.

My favorite coach from when I was a teenager taught at Hamilton Center for a little while in the mid-90s. I visited it a couple of times and remember it being pretty nice, too.

Skittl1321
01-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Coralridge Ice Arena, Coralville (Iowa City), Iowa.
http://www.coralridgeice.com/
http://www.hawkeyeskating.org/html/membership/membership.html

This is a nice rink that manages to comine figure skating, hockey and public skating needs. It is inside a mall, right next to the food court, so there are often onlookers, but it is a bit off set, so you don't get the "bustle" of the mall environment. It's also usually quite warm because of its location.

Pros: Full size surface, allows figure skating practice and lessons on public ice. Public sessions are usually uncrowded enough that you can get some practice in, and I've seen kids run programs during family skates. There is a freestyle session every morning (alas, not early enough to go before work) and 4 afternoons a week (also, not late enough to go afterwork) and a saturday morning freestyle. There are 2 days for club ice in the evenings. Good LTS program, they just switched to USFSA, including adult classes, adult friendly instructors in regular classes, and adult synchro. There is a LONG public skate everyday, and a"family" skate one evening. There is a lot of hockey time, but figure skating is not shunted aside for it. The rink is kept clean. There are 3 large benches to change skates, but that is not always enough room. There are small coin lockers, but most skaters leave their things on the benches. Bathrooms are close to the rink. Rink staff is friendly, but there are no ice guards. Public ice is $6 (for up to a 4 hour session), Freestyle is $9 for an hour, club ice is $4 for an hour and the club gets $1 off public and $2 off freestyle prices. They do accept credit cards.

The biggest pro is that when there are holidays they build freestyle into the holiday schedule instead of doing all public or all hockey. Over the new years holiday they had a figure skating artistry 3-day workshop. I appreciate that a little rink in Iowa has managed to attract some pretty decent coaches and is willing to use the ice for this purpose instead of lucrative public skating time.

Cons: No pro shop- although the club has started selling things like guards and tights, and the rink has started carrying Jacksons. There is no pro sharpener either, although two of the coaches are recommended for figure skaters- at while I was in basics/freestyle 1 the counter guys did just fine too. The bathrooms aren't always the cleanest, and it seems like the toilets are too low- might just be that I'm taller with skates on. The ice is sometimes just flooded rather than cut (I think) so while the surface is fresh, its sometimes uneven with deep ruts.

Overall, it's a wonderful home rink that is very friendly and promotes figure skating, but definetly not a serious training center.

Bill_S
01-05-2007, 12:56 PM
The Ohio State University Ice Rink is located a few miles north of downtown Columbus, Ohio. (NOTE: Don't get Ohio STATE University In Columbus confused with Ohio University in Athens. The similarity in names causes all sorts of confusion!)

I've skated there a few dozen times, and this rink is active in testing and hosting competitions. I was a club member (a long distance relationship!) before our local rink started it's own skating club. OSU Ice Rink is where I've done all my testing.

I believe the rink is the oldest one in the Columbus area, but it's maintained nicely. A recent remodeling a couple of summers ago makes it fairly bright inside even though it has no windows onto the ice. While I like warmer ice, the OSU rink's ice is often VERY soft right after an ice cut. For the first 15-minutes, it feels like my skates may be very rusty - no glide (almost like parking brakes are dragging).

There are some public sessions reserved for adults that are often lightly attended. There are other sessions that seem VERY busy, but it depends on season and the time the session is offered.

OSU Ice Rink's web site provides public session times:

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=925270

I've seen lessons conducted on light public sessions as well during freestyle sessions. However the Columbus Figure Skating Club rents freestyle ice from the rink, so freestyle schedules are maintained by the club (not the rink):

http://www.columbusfsc.com/

A "secret weapon" at this rink is Duke Johnson, the rink manager. He is well-known in the area as an experienced skate fitter and blade sharpener. I drive 80 miles to this rink for skate purchases because of Duke. His schedule varies, so be advised to call ahead to see if Duke will be there when you visit.

Restroom (men's - only one I've seen) is small and didn't benefit from the recent rennovation. Could be better, but not terrible.

The lobby is large with plenty of benches for all but the busiest public session. I LOVE the old wooden benches with high backs, partly because the ends have silhouettes of skaters carved into them. You won't find that old-world craftsmanship in modern rinks.

Parking can be troublesome - and the OSU rink's web site offers some suggestions for coping. (For example, never park at a spot with a meter. Metered parking is enforced year-round). The rink can sell a parking pass too, according to their web site. I usually just take my chances, and so far so good.

Nice rink, and an active club associated with it.

Isk8NYC
01-05-2007, 03:43 PM
This was an accidental find - a coworker mentioned that Secaucus, NJ has a seasonal ice rink. Took some detective work, but I found it and went there today. No website, but here's the arenamaps.com link (http://www.arenamaps.com/arenas/586.htm). Schedule: M-F: 3-5,7:30-9:30pm; SS: 1:30-3:30, 4:30-6:30, 7:30-9:30pm. Public Session cost was $3; no figure skating sessions. :cry: PARKING is a problem - park in the basketball court behind the rink or at a meter. (I can't imagine running out in my skates to put in quarters, though.)

It's a covered outdoor rink; they put up some tarps to keep out the weather a bit. Ice was well-groomed and a bit soft, although I found it odd to step UP onto the ice. Helps with drainage, I guess. Today's damp weather created a nice artic fog - it was fun watching people disappear. Total of 7 people on the ice; 4 beginners, 3 adults and 1 figure skater. The figure skater was very good, btw. She must skate somewhere else as well.

The changing building is a bit old, not really clean, but everything was in working order. There were towels and soap in the bathroom and the newish fixtures worked fine. Only two stalls in the Ladies' room, though. I can imagine the lines during a crowded session.

The rubber matting outdoors has missing tiles close to the rink walls so bring your hard guards!

They have group LTS lessons for Secaucus children only. I asked about skating lessons for adults and, well, he's a really nice hockey guy. Gave me a blank look when I asked about Moves in the Field. Still, very friendly and nice.

What I Liked:
Inexpensive, empty ice, friendly people.
Well-groomed ice, not too hard.
Lots of places to eat nearby.

Things to Improve:
Clean up the flooring, update the restrooms.
Parking access.

LilJen
07-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Out of town and desperately seeking ice time. . .

The setting of this place is gorgeous. While I skated, dh got just a teeny bit of time (before the sky opened up and poured rain) to walk on the beach, right on Lake Champlain.

Nice and uncrowded rink. One surface plus a studio rink that looks to be down for the summer. Rinks that have summer ice can be hard to find in VT/NH!! There were only about half a dozen skaters on the ice, and 50-min sessions were ongoing from 6:30 am to 2 pm (yay!). I just took in one session. Only gripe was that the ice was poorly maintained. They did do an ice make after every 2 sessions, but it must have been quick & shallow, because (1) it was bumpy in many spots and (2) there were those characteristic "ah, I see where the previous sessions' skaters skated" ruts here and there, indicating that they simply slapped down a quick bit of water and didn't really scrape well or whatever they do.

Still, a fun experience. One coach was working with a young guy--maybe early teens?--who had a super cantilever & hydroblade, nice 2axel, getting there with a triple jump or two, and great, powerful footwork and lots of great energy and presentation. I was both applauding (inwardly) and whining with jealousy. ;)

sk8lady
07-10-2008, 07:16 AM
Out of town and desperately seeking ice time. . .

The setting of this place is gorgeous. While I skated, dh got just a teeny bit of time (before the sky opened up and poured rain) to walk on the beach, right on Lake Champlain.

Still, a fun experience. One coach was working with a young guy--maybe early teens?--who had a super cantilever & hydroblade, nice 2axel, getting there with a triple jump or two, and great, powerful footwork and lots of great energy and presentation. I was both applauding (inwardly) and whining with jealousy. ;)

I love this rink--they hold a competition every summer with a number of adult events (unfortunately not always well attended these days) that I used to go to. The adult skater who does a lot of the work on the competition is really nice and the area is fabulous. There are some pretty high level kids--boys, I think, so maybe one of the ones you saw--competing out of this club that I remember seeing years ago at the competition when they were tiny--I think they were twins.

AgnesNitt
07-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Skatequest Dale City, VA
Two rinks--one for hockey, the other for public skate and freestyle.
Bright, clean facilities, very active public skate. Bleachers. Snack bar.
The skaters have been tough on the ladies room. Lots of toepick gouges. Ice is consistently mediocre. Lots of drips from the ceiling forming little vertical icicles. Heavily attended public skate. Freestyle sessions.

Capital Clubhouse, Waldorf, MD
This is a public rink inside a large recreational facility that include an aerobics center, some kind of street hockey facility, rock climbing. Snack bar. I don't remember any bleachers. Excellent pro shops (two!)
Public skate every two hours during the day; I've had the rink to myself several times. Freestyle sessions. A great place to go with a group. Hard, consistent clean ice.

Fredericksburg Ice Park, Fredericksburg, VA
Small town ice rink. Hockey keeps it open. But the rink has an active figure skating program that includes rhythmic skating and theater on ice. Very active in ISI competitions. Snack bar on weekends. 2 Freestyle sessions daily. No pro shop although the rink manager will sharpen your skates. Clean facility. Very much a family atmosphere fostered by regulars. No bleachers. Senior citizens rates. Also, this rink has hands down the absolute best Santa on skates in the world.

LilJen
07-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Was there on Friday, practicing for testing in a month. They had just put in their summer ice that week so it was quite smooth. I was just about the only one on the ice for the public session; intermittently there were a few kids & teens goofing around, but mostly it looked like a few people were eagerly awaiting the stick & puck session that followed the public. Just one sheet of ice, but it's up nearly year-round, which is kind of unusual for this part of the country.

Bill_S
08-08-2008, 06:18 PM
I skated a public session today at the South Charleston Memorial Ice Arena. I asked about freestyle hours and found that they are offered mostly in the late afternoon and evening in the summer. PLENTY of hours are offered (much more than my home rink), but the freestyle schedule varies from week to week.

I was also impressed with the amount of public skating time offered. On the Friday that I visited, there were 2-hour sessions offered back-to-back 4 times. The session that I attended (12:15-2:15 on a Friday) was lightly attended with about 12 people on the ice average. The session that started after the ice cut had only 2 people on the ice when I left.

With all the time alloted to figure skating and public skating, it made me wonder when (if) hockey fits in. (Well, isn't that a pleasant turn of events!?)

The rink is newish and clean. I especially liked the fireplace in the lobby area, although it wasn't operating when I visited (August, duh!). I'll bet it's nice in winter though. I didn't ask about freestyle costs, but the 2-hour public skate was $5.

There's an arcade area where non-skating teenagers can insert coins and pass their time and money.

Here are some pictures:

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/s_charleston_outside.jpg

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/s_charleston_lobby.jpg

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/s_charleston_arcade.jpg

They do not have a web site, but the phone number is 304-744-4423.

South Charleston Memorial Ice Arena
20 RHL Blvd
Charleston, WVa 25309

herniated
08-09-2008, 04:54 PM
OMG!!! I am so jealous!!:evil: This rink is GORGEOUS. You should see the facilities and I use that term loosely that I skate at!! Belive me I'm grateful for what I've got but... COME ON!! This is beautiful and cheap. One of the rinks I skate at is $10 or $11 for a two hour session on uneven ice. And the other one I skate at I think for a public is about the same. OMG.

Let's not even get into what I pay for a freestyle at these 'facilities'.