View Full Version : New blades - mounting

newskaker5
12-26-2006, 06:37 PM
I am considering getting new blades as my boots still have the stock blade which I think I may have outgrown (?). I am considering the MK Professional after reading some threads about it.

When you get a blade mounted by a pro shop - what should you expect? Does it take just a few minutes or is it a long process requiring a few days, trying out the blades, etc? Will it prevent me from skating for a day or two while they mount them/glue dries etc? Do you set up an appointment and skate for the pro shop to assess the blade or is it a drop off type thing?

I have no idea what to expect as I have never done this, however reading some old threads I dont think I could mount them myself haha

Thanks!

dbny
12-26-2006, 08:47 PM
There is no glue involved in mounting blades. They get screwed in directly to the leather soles of your boots. Do your current boots have leather or synthetic soles? Since they came with blades, it's very likely that they are synthetic and the current blades are riveted rather than screwed on. If the soles are not leather, then you really should get both new boots and new blades.

Blades are first mounted with two screws at the ball and two at the heel, to allow the skater to try the mounting before completing it. There are also slotted holes which allow some adjustment without re-drilling the soles and heels. If your fitter/blade mounter gets it right the first time, then you could have the mounting completed after skating once, otherwise, it's going to be more trial and error until everything has been adjusted to your satisfaction.

newskaker5
12-26-2006, 11:33 PM
I have Reidell 300 Gold Medallion skates - the blades currently are attached with 2 screws at the top and the bottom - so I assume that is leather? Would the new blades be mounted in the same spot? And if so, could I do it myself?

Casey
12-27-2006, 12:31 AM
I have Reidell 300 Gold Medallion skates - the blades currently are attached with 2 screws at the top and the bottom - so I assume that is leather? Would the new blades be mounted in the same spot? And if so, could I do it myself?
You might get away with it on certain blades, but the different models can have different screw positions relative to the blade. Course you could always just try and see. 2 screws on the toe plate really isn't many - I'd be a bit worried about skating on those as that's a lot of stress per screw. Are they permanent screws? (temporary ones go in the slotted holes) Maybe they were just never mounted all the way?

As for time, it just depends on your pro shop. A good fitter will get it right on the first go and you won't need any adjustments unless you were used to an improper alignment before...

Skate@Delaware
12-27-2006, 08:09 AM
As for time, it just depends on your pro shop. A good fitter will get it right on the first go and you won't need any adjustments unless you were used to an improper alignment before...
When I got my blades mounted to my new boots, it took about 30-45 minutes, and that is also with me skating on them to check the alignment. A minor adjustment was made on one boot and off I went!

Team Arthritis
12-27-2006, 08:33 AM
DOn't forget to get them sharpened before skating on them, they come with a factory grinding which is often terrible.
Lyle