View Full Version : Eye-yi-eye!

russiet
12-26-2006, 06:51 AM
Went to the ophthalmologist Saturday morning and he confirmed a retinal tear in my right eye. On the Thursday preceeding I had a real light show event in that eye, and then the vision went fuzzy , like being in a steam room.

The opthalmologist said there was nothing that I could have done to prevent it, and specifically it was brought on by vitreous traction. http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/PublicWebsite/public_rnib003660.hcsp Read down in this link & it explains it quite well.

He then proceeded to tack it back down with 148 laser shots. If I had waited, fluid would have pooled in back of the retina and laser treatment would not have worked, so hooray for me!

Woo-hoo! Are we having fun yet??

All is fine and I still have 20-20 distance vision, although the sight out of my right eye will remain cloudy for a while. It gives all the Christmas lights that warm fuzzy appearance (as well as oncoming headlights).

I'm not supposed to fall or bang my head for a couple of weeks. He told me I could still skate, but not to jump or do other things (like back-spins) that might cause a fall and jolt the tissues loose.

I did skate on Sunday, but the fuzzy vision in that eye was disconcerting when the public skate session started to fill up, so I departed rather than run into some one.

So, if any of you ever have symptoms like I had, get yourself to an eye doctor ASAP. You only have a small window of time to get it repaired!

sk8_4fun
12-26-2006, 08:33 AM
wow, thats scary, well done for getting it seen to so soon. Take it easy, eyes are very precious8O

froggy
12-26-2006, 05:12 PM
a week or two following cataract surgery my father also felt some of the symptoms you felt in his eye. He immediately went to his opthomologist who dx him w/a detached retina. this calls for emergency surgery he was told if he waited too long he could have lost his vision G-d forbid in his eye. he had a good several weeks of recovery ahead of him including like you mentioned a bunch of precautions (ie: no reading). He is now doing great, aside from a little bit of a droopy eyelid he is doing very well and is back doing all the things he was doing b/f the surgery.

Feel good!!

dbny
12-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Russiet, please, please take a break from skating! We all know that it's pathetically easy to fall on the ice even when not jumping or spinning. Catch a toe pick, get distracted and lose balance, take a misstep, get run into by someone else, step on the ice with guards on, etc. Why take a chance with your sight? (Stepping down from soapbox)

russiet
12-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Russiet, please, please take a break from skating! We all know that it's pathetically easy to fall on the ice even when not jumping or spinning. Catch a toe pick, get distracted and lose balance, take a misstep, get run into by someone else, step on the ice with guards on, etc. Why take a chance with your sight? (Stepping down from soapbox)

You're right. I've already skated twice since the laser, but I felt like I was tempting fate.

I was told 2 weeks of healing. That's not too much time & who knows, maybe the rest will lead to a personal breakthrough.

It's always good to be optimistic.

Jon

dbny
12-26-2006, 10:00 PM
You're right. I've already skated twice since the laser, but I felt like I was tempting fate.

I was told 2 weeks of healing. That's not too much time & who knows, maybe the rest will lead to a personal breakthrough.

It's always good to be optimistic.

Jon

BIG sigh of relief here!

flo
12-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Russiet,
Having been in Ophthalmology - BE CAREFUL!!!!
A retinal tear is nothing to play with. Take a week off and then go back and skate. I also have long eyes and have a greater risk of traction. You were greaet to know the symptoms and act quickly. Now take care.