View Full Version : How many of you guys tie your laces to the very top?

ouijaouija
12-25-2006, 11:30 PM
1)Because if I do, I get no knee bend, but leaving the top I get that, but isn't as secure as it used to be, as my boots are getting less sturdy?

2) I remember my last 2 sessions (over a month ago) I was trying salchows but I can't get them at all. I aso cannot afford lessons anymore. I htink I'll leave them for a while, get better edgework, its just that my instructor thought I'd be abe to do them, but maybe not! Can't get any lift

3) When does it stop getting busy? I don't want to go in this busy-ness

Any tips?

vesperholly
12-26-2006, 01:00 AM
I think the very first session I skated in my most recent new boots, I left the top hook undone - mostly because I couldn't move otherwise. After that, I always laced to the top because it helps break in the boots. That's how you're going to wear them normally, so lace them up to the top and work on breaking in the top of the tongue.

TaBalie
12-26-2006, 02:16 AM
I tie/hook my laces all the way to the top.

TashaKat
12-26-2006, 03:15 AM
I always laced my skates to the top. One of my coaches gave me a great tip for new boots which is to lace to the top BUT lace looser as you get the top to start with AND miss out a hole at your ankle to give you the 'bend'. Worked well for me on 3 sets of skates, 2 of which were double duo bond Harlicks :D

samba
12-26-2006, 03:20 AM
I always laced my skates to the top. One of my coaches gave me a great tip for new boots which is to lace to the top BUT lace looser as you get the top to start with AND miss out a hole at your ankle to give you the 'bend'. Worked well for me on 3 sets of skates, 2 of which were double duo bond Harlicks :D

Ditto this is exactly what I have been told to do by my coaches and it works for me also.

Rusty Blades
12-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Beats me how anybody can get any ankle bend in these new style boots! I wish I could get the same type of boots I had in the 1960's 'cause I can lean my full weight forward and these boots don't flex at the ankle AT ALL! (Jackson Competitors and Elites).

The first time I skated, I laced to the top, then I dropped the top hook. Now I only lace the bottom two hooks. I guess I'll try lacing the top two only and see if I can get these boots to flex.

Isk8NYC
12-26-2006, 12:30 PM
1) I usually don't use the top hook for the first 5-6 sessions. My new skates have a "setback" hook, but I'm not using it yet. Just too constrictive.

Someone recommended the "skip the top hole" method. I'm going to try it next time I wear those skates.

2) Don't worry about jumps until you're secure with your crossovers and edges. I think crossovers, sit spins, and waltz jumps are good for break-ins.

3) The season dies down here in NYC when the spring sports seasons start. The young skaters switch to other sports and the groups get smaller, the publics get less crowded. Plus, the seasonal rinks close down so people assume that the year-round rinks are closed, too. (Trend starts in March or April.)

cathrl
12-26-2006, 02:48 PM
I used to, but when I started dance lessons my coach recommended that I didn't, and I haven't done since. Same for my daughter. But we're both doing dance in figure boots - I'm not sure what he recommends for his dancers who have real dance boots.

mintypoppet
12-26-2006, 03:09 PM
I used to, but when I started dance lessons my coach recommended that I didn't, and I haven't done since. Same for my daughter. But we're both doing dance in figure boots - I'm not sure what he recommends for his dancers who have real dance boots.

I have issues holding my edges when my skates aren't laced tightly enough, and wonder whether I'm relying too much on the support of the boot rather than kneebend and correct technique. I hadn't considered not lacing them all the way up - might have a play with that.

dbny
12-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Beats me how anybody can get any ankle bend in these new style boots! I wish I could get the same type of boots I had in the 1960's 'cause I can lean my full weight forward and these boots don't flex at the ankle AT ALL! (Jackson Competitors and Elites).

Do you still have your old skates or remember what they were? The old ones show up on eBay from time to time, and are often in great condition. Almost the only way to tell from the pix is that the tops are higher and the soles/heels are black. I recently saw a great old pair of Riedells with Jesse Halpern Special blades (think they might be patch blades, but haven't checked it out yet) really like new, in an "antique" shop for $22. Jesse Halpern is a skate shop in Great Neck, NY, that is still in business, so I need to call them. If they are patch blades, then they might be worth the price of the skates to someone.

Ice Dancer
12-26-2006, 03:31 PM
I do, but have only started to recently. The guy I ought my boots from recommended I didn't for the first few skates, but once broken in I did for the support. I haven't had any problems since.

icedancer2
12-26-2006, 03:36 PM
I use the hooks but skip the top one. I take the loops from my bows and loop them on the top hooks and then tuck in the ends of the laces.

I have trouble getting good ankle bend in my new-fangled boots, though, so I might try only hooking the bottom two hooks. Can't hurt to try!

When you don't jump at all, it is harder I think to break these heat-moldable things in! My boots are supposed dance boots, but they are no lower than my old SP Teri Superteri.

jazzpants
12-26-2006, 04:23 PM
I tie it at the top now. I didn't when I was breaking in skates but after a while I just started tying it up. I guess it's almost time for me to get new boots now... :roll:

ouijaouija
12-26-2006, 04:41 PM
serously, I can't even bend down when they are to the op, I trip over on my toepicks etc, which s dangerous.

Maybe I should try doing it loose and see how it goes.

AND break them in indoors

looplover
12-26-2006, 05:00 PM
I tie all the way to the top because it feels like I have no support otherwise. It's probably psychological. I'm sure I overdo it because unfortunately I have a permanent indentation now on my lower leg. NOT attractive...and people think skating must have given me good legs *sigh*

Casey
12-27-2006, 12:27 AM
I always tie mine to the top, though sometimes I'll leave them a bit looser towards the very top, but I tie the rest of the skate very tightly. I have tongue hooks which keep the tightness from the ankle down, but sometimes I'll add to that by twisting the laces around each other (as you do when starting to tie them) after the first set of ankle hooks.

Skate@Delaware
12-27-2006, 08:07 AM
I have Jackson Elites and I just started lacing them to the top. But at first I left it undone and did tons of knee-bending and back crossovers (with more knee bending).

By the time I get to the top hook, it's looser than at the bend.

I had thought about expiramenting with a pair of old-fashioned skates (if I can find some-maybe Play-it-Again sports) and see how it goes 8O although I think the blade might give me fits. The pair I had a zillion years ago was thin leather, higher boot-top, black sole and zero support; but I don't recall every breaking anything, and my feet muscles had to work hard to keep my ankles upright.

Team Arthritis
12-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Funny, with these I have NO problem bending my ankle :twisted:
Lyle

http://www.jacksonskates.com/html/frames/frameset-Proflex.htm

Rusty Blades
12-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Team: I have been looking at those! One of the gold freeskaters here has them and says she likes them. She certainly skates (and jumps) well in them. I am waiting until the local store has a pair I can try on before I think seriously about changing.

Dbny: My last pair of skates as a teenager were custom made by an Italian bootmaker somewhere around Toronto and the leather wasn't much heavier than a quality pair of dress shoes. Yes, they were quite a bit higher than todays boots. There was something about the way the leather was cut and sewn that allowed the ankle to bend forward fairly easily but resisted side-to-side bending. All the jumps that were landed on a backward edge were landed on the front of the blade and the ankle (as well as the knee) helped absorb the shock - of course in those days men were landing triples and women doubles - the quad was still to come.

Mrs Redboots
12-27-2006, 11:00 AM
3) When does it stop getting busy? I don't want to go in this busy-nessWith a new series of Dancing on Ice scheduled to start shortly, it's going to get even busier! Actually, this time of year is always busy - people have been to the seasonal rinks and then decided they fancied learning to do it properly... and with Dancing on Ice, you can get more people signing up for learn-to-skate classes than the rinks can handle, and they run out of skates in skate hire and.....

But I gather, according to the older coaches, that this is only a fraction of how busy it was 30 years ago or so, when you'd get 50 or 60 coachloads of skaters every night!

BlueIcePlaza
12-27-2006, 05:00 PM
With a new series of Dancing on Ice scheduled to start shortly, it's going to get even busier! Actually, this time of year is always busy - people have been to the seasonal rinks and then decided they fancied learning to do it properly... and with Dancing on Ice, you can get more people signing up for learn-to-skate classes than the rinks can handle, and they run out of skates in skate hire and.....

But I gather, according to the older coaches, that this is only a fraction of how busy it was 30 years ago or so, when you'd get 50 or 60 coachloads of skaters every night!

For that reason...I definately avoid any evening and weekend sessions until late spring, and just stick with the (usually always quiet, regardless of time of year) morning weekday, 'school-time' public sessions.

Ice Dancer
12-28-2006, 04:37 AM

We had a coach party of 200 at my rink the other week when I was there in a private lesson. It was mayhem, there really should have been more stewards on the rink but the party didn't order any. At one point one of them moved one of the cones which sectioned off the lesson part out of the way and another went to get the shovel. We watched wondered what was going on and then my coach realised he was using the shovel to get rid of blood on the ice 8O

It really was a serious accident waiting to happen, then when I got off I heard a few of them talking and some were complaining that they HADN'T injured themselves!!!

ouijaouija
12-31-2006, 11:16 PM
oh no, i can't stand a busy ice rink, mebbe.. i should go to ice patch but i am not very good, its almost like you have to be a certian level to use patch ice, i see the stares and stuff :frus:

I think I'm going to go again later this week, I wanna get good man, I dunno why I stopped. A mixture of no money, and business on the rink and in my life.

i can't do lessons anymore either, I feel bad for ditching my instructor like that.

YES THIS YEAR my resolution is to get better at this and another sport I play