View Full Version : Merry Christmas!!!

Thin-Ice
12-25-2006, 02:24 AM
MERRY

CHRISTMAS!!!

I hope everyone is having a GREAT holiday -- but WHAT are you doing on the boards today??? (I have an excuse -- I'm at work!)

Happy 2007 to everyone!

samba
12-25-2006, 05:34 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Well all the presents are opened, We have our grandaughter over Christmas so the magic is back again.

The turkey is being baisted as we speak by dear husband and in his words "starting to brown already, 11.29 am over here.

Little grandaughter is playing with her Thomas the Tank Engine train set, yes I know... proper Tom Boy, finds boys games much more interesting, but has her Emily doll to go to bed with.

I have loads of stuff including a white gold necklace from dear husband and he has loads of clothes etc. Grandaughter has too many to mention and we treated my 36 year old son to a Scaletrix, among other things, because he was so disgusted when I dumped his old one when he got to his teans.

Time to go and get another drink before lunch time.

Have a good one everyone I certainly am, I have only had one drink but thats all it takes for me, osrry about any spelling mistakes!! hick!!

Cheers
Grace

NCSkater02
12-25-2006, 07:17 AM
I was checking my email, and daughter isn't up yet. Could be the fact that she didn't get home until at least 2:45 this morning from seeing the boyfriend. She told me to wake her up no later than 10:00 so I have nearly two hours to go. What else to do?

Terri C
12-25-2006, 08:44 AM
I'm Catholic and a lector at my Church and had a "doubleheader" as I read at not only the 11am Mass yesterday morning (was asked at the last minute), but also read last night's 9pm Christmas Eve Mass.
Dad and I are enjoying a relaxing morning at home, with my brother and his GF- soon to be fiance' coming over later.

Ice Dancer
12-25-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm stressed with the bf's family so have come on for some relief!!!

samba
12-25-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm stressed with the bf's family so have come on for some relief!!!

Poor you, just shut the door for a while and think what its like for me with a lively 4 year old grandaughter grabbing the mouse etc., ah but I wouldnt have it any other way.

Sonic
12-25-2006, 02:08 PM
My excuse is we're all at my parents having a nice family Christmas...but the food and alchohol have got to everyone and one by one they've all dropped off and are snoring in front of the TV! It's only me and one of my brother's awake at the momemnt so we're on the 'puter.

Having a nice time and I now have a practise skirt...which I'm hopefully going to road-test on Wednesday. Hubby presented me with copy of 'The Cutting Edge' and bunch of plastic flowers - a a la ssj competiton :lol:

Merry Crimbo to all

S xxx

lovepairs
12-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah and Kwanzaa

Not all skaters celebrate the exact same holiday, some skaters are atheiest and don't celebrate anything at all. Other's just go to Starbucks and have a treat coffee. Then there are some skaters out there who don't have any family around at all to celebrate with...so, the threads become our "skating family" for the day.

So, wishing everyone a very Happy Holiday Season, no matter what you celebrate, or don't celebrate.

Best,
Lovepairs

Figureskates
12-25-2006, 05:04 PM
I get to celebrate Christmas by working 2pm to midnite...

At least I have 2 hours of ice tomorrow to work off too much chocolate!

dbny
12-25-2006, 05:29 PM
I get to celebrate Christmas by working 2pm to midnite...

At least I have 2 hours of ice tomorrow to work off too much chocolate!

You're not alone. DH is working 3 to 11 PM, and went in after a miserable night Sat of vomiting etc. and no food until this afternoon. I made him promise to call his co-worker in rather than throw up on the computer room floor, and he did agree to that.

sexyskates
12-25-2006, 07:17 PM
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa and Happy Winter Solstice to everyone! And most of all - Happy Skating!!!!

Casey
12-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Not all skaters celebrate the exact same holiday, some skaters are atheiest and don't celebrate anything at all. Other's just go to Starbucks and have a treat coffee. Then there are some skaters out there who don't have any family around at all to celebrate with...so, the threads become our "skating family" for the day.

So, wishing everyone a very Happy Holiday Season, no matter what you celebrate, or don't celebrate.
Once again I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly with your writings which broadcast their message most eloquently. I gave a few gifts for Christmas this year but that's only to support family that celebrates it - it's not a day I do. But a Merry Christmas to those who do, and for those who don't, if you have a holiday that falls around this time, well have a good one of those. :) And as sexyskates says, most importantly, happy skating!

Thin-Ice
12-26-2006, 02:26 AM
Sorry--

I didn't mean to offend anyone.. I just had a few spare minutes at work when I had to look busy.. and the calendar read December 25th. :giveup:

Greetings of the Season to All... for whatever you do or do not celebrate. Here's to good health, clean edges and smooth, uncrowded ice for everyone.:halo: :D :halo:

samba
12-26-2006, 03:26 AM
Sorry--

I didn't mean to offend anyone.. I just had a few spare minutes at work when I had to look busy.. and the calendar read December 25th. :giveup:

Greetings of the Season to All... for whatever you do or do not celebrate. Here's to good health, clean edges and smooth, uncrowded ice for everyone.:halo: :D :halo:

I doubt you have offended anyone. At work I have a Muslin guy sat in the desk next to me and next to him a Hindu, neither officially celebrate Christmas but both get into the spirit of things and exchange cards and gifts with everyone, the very best thing is that they bring in the best tucka leading up to Christmas, lovely indian dishes, yum!!!

Isk8NYC
12-26-2006, 03:59 AM
Sorry--

Greetings of the Season to All... for whatever you do or do not celebrate. Here's to good health, clean edges and smooth, uncrowded ice for everyone.:halo: :D :halo:I celebrated Christmas and I appreciated the thoughtful gesture of your post.Thank you for your good wishes and have a Happy New Year!\

Today is December 26th - Happy Festivus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus), Everyone!

lovepairs
12-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Hi Thin-ice,

No offense was taken at all. The thread just started going in the direction that the assumption was that we are all Christian, and should be celebrating Christmas...so, why are we all on the thread given that today is Christmas?

It was a fun, thoughtful thread, and great for all the people who don't celebrate Christmas for one reason, or another. Just a reminder that we live in a melting pot, and the skating community reflects this type of diversity, too.

Happy Holidays,

Lovepairs

skaternum
12-26-2006, 02:43 PM
How could this be offensive? I didn't see anything in this thread that assumed we're all Christians and should be celebrating Christmas. I see it as a lovely greeting for those of us who are celebrating. If you're not Christian, don't read the thread. :) Start your own:

Happy Kwanzaa!
Festive Eid!
Happy Hanukkah!
Merry Solstice!
Happy Festivus!
Greetings to the Godless!
Delightful Diwali!

jazzpants
12-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Don't forget Dec 29th - Happy Ice Skating Day!!! :halo: :P :lol: (No I *AM* SERIOUS!!! Look at EGreetings.com if you don't believe me!!!)

lovepairs: Trust me, Christmas is becoming more "commercial" than Christian... ;) Not that I'm "Christian" mind you, but...GEEZ, I'll celebrate ANY holiday where I get a DAY OFF WORK!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

Why don't we all just say "Happy Holidays" and get back to stuffin' our faces!!! After all, our diets starts again Jan 1st!!! :twisted: :P

Isk8NYC
12-26-2006, 04:34 PM
How could this be offensive? I didn't see anything in this thread that assumed we're all Christians and should be celebrating Christmas. I see it as a lovely greeting for those of us who are celebrating. If you're not Christian, don't read the thread. :) Start your own:

Happy Kwanzaa!
Festive Eid!
Happy Hanukkah!
Merry Solstice!
Happy Festivus!
Greetings to the Godless!
Delightful Diwali!I agree with skaternum - I didn't read anything that said everyone had to be Christian. Only one person mentioned church, an important part of my own christmas celebration. I thought it was cute, as if Thin-Ice wanted to know why were doing other things on our day off from work. (Most businesses are closed, but s/he was working.) Loved the four-year old grabbing the mouse and the after-indulgence snoozes!)

We've had a lot of posts recently on other cultures and traditions without incident, so I don't understand why a simple "Merry Christmas" should be put down. (Even my Chanukah On Ice thread didn't turn into a fight!)

Since you're so concerned about inclusiveness, Lovepairs, why didn't you start a "Happy Kwanzaa" thread? It's today, but you knew that, right?

BTW: January is the USFSA's National Skating Month. Check your rink's websites (and the USFSA's) for special events.

lovepairs
12-26-2006, 04:41 PM
First of all, Skaternum, no one said it was offensive. Thin-ice was saying that he/she hoped they didn't offend anyone. I was responding that no offense at all was taken, but it was just a reminder that not everyone celebrates Christmas. If you read the thread carefully, before I posted, everyone was wondering what the other people were doing on the thread, because today is Christmas--the assumption being that everyone celebrates it.

The statement you just made, if I may quote you:

"If you're not Christian, don't read the thread. Start your own:"

This statement IS not only incredibly offensive, exclusionary, but also very repulsive.

Terri C
12-26-2006, 04:42 PM
I agree with skaternum - I didn't read anything that said everyone had to be Christian. Only one person mentioned church, an important part of my own christmas celebration.

Since you're so concerned about inclusiveness, Lovepairs, why didn't you start a "Happy Kwanzaa" thread? It's today, but you knew that, right

Gee, I didn't know that mentioning participation in church services was soooo offensive.
If you don't/didn't celebrate Christmas, why did you take the time to bother to reply in the first place?

Isk8NYC
12-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Lovepairs, let me put it another way: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Sonic
12-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Sorry, I'm afraid this is going to offend some people, but I am going to say this anyway because it's about time it was said.

IT IS CHRISTMAS.
CHRISTMAS IS (OR WAS ONCE) A CHRISTIAN CELEBRATION.
END OF.

This does not mean that Hannekah, Divali, Ramadan...or any other religious festivals are any less importance, it just means that right now it's Christmas, and those people who WANT to celebrate it as a Christian festival should have the right to do so without being made to feel bad by the political correct brigade.

If people in this world concentrated on the important aspects of Christmas - i.e. sharing, time with families, thinking of others etc etc instead of arguing over petty stuff like politcal correctness, the world would probably be a better place.

jazzpants
12-26-2006, 04:56 PM
WOW!!! Good grief!!! All that grief over a "Merry Christmas???" 8O 8O 8O

The majority of Americans out there don't even care about the religious aspect of it. They care more about getting the presents, the lighting of the tree, and all the good food they're gonna eat!!! :twisted:

Is it worth all this grief just to be politically correct??? 8O

Sonic
12-26-2006, 05:03 PM
WOW!!! Good grief!!! All that grief over a "Merry Christmas???" 8O 8O 8O

The majority of Americans out there don't even care about the religious aspect of it. They care more about getting the presents, the lighting of the tree, and all the good food they're gonna eat!!! :twisted:

Is it worth all this grief just to be politically correct??? 8O

No it isn't...that was my point.

S xxx

skaternum
12-26-2006, 06:49 PM
I don't need any reminders that not every person in the world is Christian, thank you very much. To assume that we don't know it is insulting. I'm more offended by the politically correct policing of this thread than I am by any Christmas sentiment expressed in any of the posts.

The holiday Christmas is a Christian holiday. I see nothing wrong with addressing holiday greetings to those who celebrate that holiday. If the OP had started a thread "Happy Kwanzaa," would you have assumed that we think everyone who posts on this board is of African descent? If the thread was "Happy Hanukkah," would you have assumed that we think everyone reading the thread is Jewish? Of course it doesn't. No, it means that we're wishing a Happy Hanukkah to board members who are Jewish. Sheesh. Enough with the PC. The "start your own thread" was an illustration of the preceding sentiment.

lovepairs, I respect you as a skater, but I think you just went overboard with the politically correct policing of this thread.

NoVa Sk8r
12-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Happy Feast of St. Stephen! :halo:

Thin-Ice
12-27-2006, 02:36 AM
Since I started this... how about if I also end it?

I'd like to make one more greeting even at the risk of opening up another can of worms: Happy New Year to all of us! (wherever, whatever or whenever you celebrate -- i.e. the Lunar New Year, on the Julian rather than Gregorian calendar, etc. :lol:) And thank you to those who appreciated the sentiment I was previously trying to send.

Now, Isk8NYC, how about if we lock this thread? Thank you!

Thin-Ice

Casey
12-27-2006, 03:11 AM
Lovepairs, let me put it another way: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Eh, I've read her posts again, and I don't think she was trying to say anything not nice, rather, she was just trying to keep folks from being excluded. She started by interjecting happy greetings to all without putting anyone down, and reacted to some overly negative criticisms by explaining her stance in a way that I simply do not see as being mean in any way.

Sometimes I think people need to put themselves into other people's shoes for a mere 2 seconds and assume the opposite tone instead of just assuming.

Skaternum said, "I don't need any reminders that not every person in the world is Christian, thank you very much. To assume that we don't know it is insulting. I'm more offended by the politically correct policing of this thread than I am by any Christmas sentiment expressed in any of the posts.". Well, I don't need any more reminders that it's Christmas. I've heard about it constantly for weeks on end and the assumption that everyone must celebrate it which is all too common, if not the belief of the original poster of this thread, is insulting, to many others. It's not just a matter of being politically correct, it's a matter of being respectful.

Anyways lovepairs even went so far as to wish a merry Christmas to those who celebrate it in her post. Exactly what wasn't nice about it? The only thing I see that's not nice is some of the responses it received. :giveup:

skaternum
12-27-2006, 06:45 AM
Happy Feast of St. Stephen! :halo:

Now THIS is classic!!! :P

Isk8NYC
12-27-2006, 07:25 AM
Now, Isk8NYC, how about if we lock this thread? Thank you!

Thin-IceYou got it!