View Full Version : Merry (Skating) Christmas!

Rusty Blades
12-24-2006, 10:22 PM
The Perfect Christmas Eve

What could be more perfect than to spend Christmas Eve on your own backyard rink with beautiful Christmas lights, nice music playing, a bonfire, and friends and neighbours enjoying a wonderful country evening!

After all the effort (and expense) to create a special place, it was a pure delight to see people enjoying themselves so much. The comments about how beautiful it is was the nicest Christmas present I could get.

Christmas Eve (just before the party):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/calamityjanecanary/Christmas1.jpg

(50 x 75 feet seemed SO big when flooding the ice and SO small when skating with a bunch of people! Now, I could put a regulation size rink just on the other side of my house . . . .)

Isk8NYC
12-24-2006, 10:27 PM
*humming* "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ..."
Thanks for the picture!

Have a good skate and do a spin or two for me, please!
(I'm still jealous, though!)

Santa's in the Northeast - why aren't my kids in bed yet?!?!
:frus: :lol: :roll: :cry:

Bill_S
12-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Indeed, that's a very serene looking place. No unruly crowds (unless you invite them yourself) and nature around you.

That's a sweet setup!

jazzpants
12-24-2006, 10:36 PM
Rusty Blades.... soooooo jealous!!! The rink's PUUUUUURTY!!! :mrgreen:

Enjoy a wonderful Christmas skating on a wonderful rink!!! :bow: :P :D

Award
12-24-2006, 11:57 PM
rusty ... don't make me jealous.

hehe

SkatingOnClouds
12-25-2006, 01:39 AM
Aw Dianne, that's not fair!

Our rink is now closed for 2 weeks. Wish I could come and play at your house.

NCSkater02
12-25-2006, 07:15 AM
Hmmmm. It was 57 here yesterday--no outdoor rink in my backyard.:roll:

Beccapoo2003
12-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Maaaan, that's so kool!!! Beautiful!! I just can't imagine. It was warm here too... in the
60's yesterday.
Happy holidays to everyone!!
Becca

sue123
12-25-2006, 09:06 AM
That looks great. I am so incredibly jealous. I don't even think our backyard is as big as your rink,so no hope for me to ever do something like that.

sk8_4fun
12-25-2006, 09:33 AM
wow!!!!! thats coooooooool! have a lovely Christmas!

Isk8NYC
12-25-2006, 11:18 AM
That looks great. I am so incredibly jealous. I don't even think our backyard is as big as your rink,so no hope for me to ever do something like that.Our property is only a bit bigger than that rink! LOL (NYC measures lot sizes in feet, not acres.)

Hmmmm. It was 57 here yesterday--no outdoor rink in my backyard.:roll:Any possibility of freezing cold down there at any point? (I'm asking since we still plan to relocate to beautiful NC.)

Ice Dancer
12-25-2006, 12:25 PM
That is so magical! I am really jealous too. I am desperate to go skating.

samba
12-25-2006, 12:44 PM
This is every skaters dream come true, enjoy Rusty!!!

Rusty Blades
12-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Well you are all VERY welcome to drop by any time and bring your skates!!! I am only 1 hour from the Winnipeg airport and if you don't mind bunking on the floor, I have LOTS of space :mrgreen:

One fringe benefit I have discovered while working on my choreography is that I can lace up my skates, step out the back door, and try this move or that, then come back and make the changes on the computer.

There is another skating party here tomorrow afternoon if anyone is passing by!

Sonic
12-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Wow Dianne that looks sooooo cool!

Have a brill skating Christmas!

S xxx

Sk8pdx
12-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Rusty, Thanks for the beautiful "postcard". It looks so pristine and glossy... I just want to reach through my computer screen into your back yard with my skates on and land a loop jump. Then land in the snow and make a snow angels....:halo:
Merry Christmas!:)
~sk8pdx

samba
12-26-2006, 03:35 AM
Wow Rusty, what a great job, I think your rink is probably bigger than my back garden!! But then again husband could always pull up the paving slabs, oh no he wouldnt!!!

NCSkater02
12-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Any possibility of freezing cold down there at any point? (I'm asking since we still plan to relocate to beautiful NC.)

Not long enough or nor cold enough for a back-yard rink. That's why we Southerners live here....Though I did give serious thought to packing it up and moving to Colorado when hubby and I split up a year ago. Right now, I'm kinda glad I didn't--two blizzards in a week??

Rusty Blades
12-30-2006, 05:17 AM
Well NCS it's cold enough here for a rink and we haven't had a single serious storm yet this year, so how about Manitoba? LOL!

New Year's Even party tomorrow night on the rink!

It has been lovely to see so many people enjoying my rink. There have been neighbours over to skate every day of the Christmas "long weekend" and it make my heart glad to see so many people so happy. Most special was to see the great great granddaughter of the original pioneer family skating here on what had been a corner of the family homestead.

Having a rink at this rural crossroad was a tradition for more than a generation. The couple who used to maintain a rink across the road from me have both passed away so I have felt very proud to take up the reins as it were and reestablish skating here.