View Full Version : Time

Luckster013
12-22-2006, 08:46 PM
This is kind of a stupid question, but on average, how long does it take, starting at basic one, to learn an axel. I have absolutely no idea how long anything should take, so im just trying to get an idea.

twokidsskatemom
12-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Every person, no matter what age, is different.There is no right answer.
Some skaters take 2 years for singles, some less. Some take a year for axle, some 2 years, SOME never get it.Some get it and lose it.
Your goal should be short term. Faster stroking, more knee action, more extension.If you work on everything , it will all come together.Not just jumps.
Variants include age when started, if you did ballet or gymnastics, if you were born flexible,how much time you spend on ice,natural talent, money to spend on lessons and TIME. It takes alot of time to not only learn a skill, but to perfect the skill.
If you are a growing teen, growth spurts make you lose things. You will get them back if you hang in there.
Just hang in there and practice. Ice skating is a life long hobby.

badaxel
12-23-2006, 11:19 AM
I've been working on mine for 22 months now, and it's still not either clean or consistent. I have two in my program, and I consider myself lucky if I land one of them in a run through. I do try to land at least 3 good ones every practice, though!

doubletoe
12-23-2006, 11:22 AM
I had all of my 1-revolution jumps within a year or two of starting to skate, but the axel was completely different. It took a year or two before I was landing it consistently on the floor in sneakers (more intense practice and better coaching probably would have shortened that time), and then it was another year before I was able to land it on the ice. Some people take less time, especially if they are younger and skate a lot, but some people take 5-10 years to land their first axel. All I can say was that I didn't start landing them--even on the floor--until I finally got a decent backspin. So practice lots of backspins, as well as waltz jumps and loops.

jazzpants
12-23-2006, 11:29 AM
I've been working on mine for 22 months now, and it's still not either clean or consistent. I have two in my program, and I consider myself lucky if I land one of them in a run through. I do try to land at least 3 good ones every practice, though!Hmmmm... I did see at least 2 good ones with the beginning of the FS session yesterday and I'm pretty sure I wasn't seeing things since we all thought you should change your screen name to "goodaxel." LOL!!! :P :lol:

Isk8NYC
12-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Hmmmm... I did see at least 2 good ones with the beginning of the FS session yesterday and I'm pretty sure I wasn't seeing things since we all thought you should change your screen name to "goodaxel." LOL!!! :P :lol:ITA - high and mighty axels were coming out of your corner! Adrian says no name changes, though. :cry:

I know! Instead of "bad axel" with the emphasis on doing it poorly, we'll just think of you as "baaaad axel" like Shaft.
"Man that Shaft is a bad ..." "SHUT YOUR MOUTH!" "But I'm talkin' 'bout Shaft." "Then that's okay!"