View Full Version : Screws coming loose & Sole wear

sunjoy
12-22-2006, 07:13 PM
My heel screws come loose every session I skate (both skates, and both screws on each skate). I tighten them with a screwdriver to finger-tightness (pretty tight, but not cranked-in), and when I get home, they are about an 1/8 inch out again.

This started recently. I hope the holes haven't loosened up. Should I be tightening the screws more, or will I need to get them fixed? (Note, the front screws seem fine).

I also have some serious scraping on the outside edge of my sole (near the little toe), from overly deep edges on crossovers. It's not like the scraping on the inside from lunges -- the outsides are getting really bad. Any ideas to help stop this before there's a hole in the boot? (Re-snowsealing helped a bit, since wet leather wears down like nobody's business).

techskater
12-22-2006, 07:21 PM
You need to replug your holes and seal the holes and put in new screws.

Shoe repair person would be a good bet for repairing your boot

Bill_S
12-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Does the wear on the outside look like this?

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/bevel_boot.jpg

If so, I wouldn't worry too much. I took this picture back in 2003 and the bevel on the edge of the sole hasn't gotten any worse than this.

The holes are another issue that needs attention fast before they strip so far that your blade detaches when you skate.

Hannah
12-22-2006, 10:51 PM
I had a problem with my screws coming loose (in my boots!) and I tried sealing and re-screwing, but I eventually put the original screws in different holes (making new holes in the sole) and put some slightly bigger screws in the original holes. My blades haven't budged since.

vesperholly
12-23-2006, 03:02 AM
I have had that beveled edge on all of my boots. I take it as a sign of good crossovers. :halo:

Team Arthritis
12-26-2006, 08:19 AM
If you don't have unused hols in your heal to install new screws you can just go buy the next size larger screw and use that. Then the question is stainless steel (which is weaker and more likely to break but won't rust and has bigger threads, get the "pan head" type) vs machine screws (which are tougher except they will rust in half given enough time and they have a finer pitch and smaller thread so don't grab as well).

If you are going down when the edge of your sole hits the ice, you can take a razor blade knife and shave down the edge quite a bit - many of the high dancers do this. Then re-seal the leather
Lyle