View Full Version : Out of the boot, on to the cane!

sk8pics
12-21-2006, 11:12 AM
Well, had a good appt with my surgeon today. He again LOVED my x-rays and said my fracture is completely healed and now we "only" have to deal with the soft tissue injury. So he took me out of the boot, had me put on my sneaker (which took a long time, given that my foot is still pretty swollen), and then try walking with my walker! 8O It felt awkward and odd but no pain! 8-) :D He also wrote a scrip for a cane and said I could transition to the cane as I felt comfortable. So, use the walker and put as much weight on it as I can or want to, and then switch to the cane. He also gave me the form for a handicapped parking permit and I picked that up this morning, too. And we even used it, too, when we went to pick up the cane!

He'll see me in another 3 weeks and around that time i will be able to go back to work. If I feel really strong and stable, I'll ask to go back sooner, but I want to be careful given that any falls could be a problem for me (because of the coumadin, which is also going well btw).

My cats are gonna miss me when I move back upstairs! Soon, soon...
Hooray!

Isk8NYC
12-21-2006, 11:16 AM
That's great news, Pat! Thanks for checking in - I was thinking about you this morning.

Team Arthritis
12-21-2006, 11:27 AM
woo hoo! Careful - don't overdue it. Are you drawing the alphabet in the air with your toe yet?
Lyle

Debbie S
12-21-2006, 11:40 AM
That's awesome, Pat! Congratulations!

(So you are walking by Christmas! :P )

Terri C
12-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Yay! Now still be careful!

jazzpants
12-21-2006, 02:08 PM
YAAAAAY, Pat! (Yeah, be CAREFUL!!!) Glad to hear that you're walking. What a wonderful Christimas present for yourself!!! :D

e-skater
12-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Well, had a good appt with my surgeon today. He again LOVED my x-rays and said my fracture is completely healed and now we "only" have to deal with the soft tissue injury.

He'll see me in another 3 weeks and around that time i will be able to go back to work. If I feel really strong and stable, I'll ask to go back sooner, but I want to be careful given that any falls could be a problem for me (because of the coumadin, which is also going well btw).

My cats are gonna miss me when I move back upstairs! Soon, soon...
Hooray!

I was catching up on SF today. I go through spates of posting, then weeks of no posting. I saw this and just had to write and wish you well. Please be careful.....a friend's relative is taking coumadin, so...please take it slow! (Cats are great company, aren't they?)

sk8pics
12-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Thank you everybody. I have to say, though, that things are not as great as I originally thought. PT was hard today, although that in and of itself is not bad. But when he had me stand and try to shift all my weight over to my left leg and then pick up my right, I couldn't do it. :cry: It just hurt too much. And he also had me stand straight with my weight evenly distributed and then bend my knees. But that hurt too and I could only bend a little. We also tried a step up and that was unbelievably difficult, too. So I'm all :frus: :cry: .

He also stretched my ankle in every direction and some of that hurt, too. But that didn't bother me. I'm just discouraged that it will be another 10 days or so before I can use the cane on my own. We'll start with it in PT the end of next week.

So I know this is progress, but I'm still upset because I thought I would be more independent now. And I am, but I still need help. Not as much help, but not as little as I would like. And I thought I would be able to go upstairs by this weekend, but it's not safe for me to try it yet. Yes, with the coumadin I have to be extra careful so I am trying not to get too aggressive with things. But it's hard.:cry: