View Full Version : Confused Acquaintance, Friends, Family thread

looplover
12-21-2006, 05:37 AM
Do you have people in your life who are mystfied about this whole adult skating thing?

Recently someone I know asked me if I wouldn't be happier inline skating outside, because we live in Florida and it's the same thing, so why wouldn't I want to be outside. I told her I do jumps and pavement hurts. She thought it was ridiculous! Oh well.

Then at the opposite end of the spectrum I had a coworker who thought when I told him I was an adult skater that meant I could do triples, and when I told him I'm working on singles he was really disappointed :P

Rusty Blades
12-21-2006, 07:35 AM
Then at the opposite end of the spectrum I had a coworker who thought when I told him I was an adult skater that meant I could do triples, and when I told him I'm working on singles he was really disappointed :P

Most of the "uninformed" think figure skating is easy and don't understand why you aren't throwing combinations and triples all over the place after your first couple of weeks. I just smile and say "Bring your skates!" It is amazing how quiet it gets after that ! :twisted:

AW1
12-21-2006, 08:11 AM
My most annoying comment comes because I started skating at the same time as my 5 yr old (then 4yr old) daughter... People would come up to me and say "wow she's really good... must bug you that she's better than you" .... what bugged me was that they felt it necessary to point out that yes in fact she is alot better than me at skating ... talk about rub salt into the wound!! :roll:

dbny
12-21-2006, 10:05 AM
I recently told someone that I had been a roller dancer, and they started insisting that I go back to roller because I had loved it so much. Nevermind that there isn't a decent roller rink within 2 hours of where I live, or that at this point I'm scared to even put my skates on again. I'm doing just fine on ice now, but this idiot wouldn't quit. I've made a mental note not to speak with that one again.

Isk8NYC
12-21-2006, 10:16 AM
I've made a mental note not to speak with that one again.I'm sorry. I didn't mean to insult you. :halo:

Kristin
12-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Do you have people in your life who are mystfied about this whole adult skating thing?

Oh gosh, ALL THE TIME!!! People always ask me if they can come watch one of my competitions, but I usually don't invite them unless they (at some point) have been ON THE ICE with me. Then when you go into a single loop or a waltz jump, they react as if you just got done doing a double axel or something. Amazing how the perception changes once they are actually standing on the ice WITH YOU........ :frus:

Having said that, I have shown previous performances to people like my elderly neighbor who was very impressed, even though he had never been on skates. He was amazed that I have the discipline to get up every morning to do this, and I am equally amazed at his zest for life at the ripe age of 81 (especially since he had a knee replacement at 79). :bow:

cathrl
12-21-2006, 10:42 AM
My most annoying comment comes because I started skating at the same time as my 5 yr old (then 4yr old) daughter... People would come up to me and say "wow she's really good... must bug you that she's better than you" .... what bugged me was that they felt it necessary to point out that yes in fact she is alot better than me at skating ... talk about rub salt into the wound!! :roll:

I started skating shortly after my now 10 year old daughter (who was then 3). You can imagine just how much better she is than me by now.

Actually we competed against each other this autumn - she won, and I finished 8th out of 9. A lot of people said they couldn't believe I'd done it, but hey, it'll never happen again because by next year she'll have too many tests for us to be in the same class, and I'm never going to catch up.

Now the little one, I've been skating for 3 years longer than he has, and I think I'm just barely still nose in front - as long as it isn't spinning or jumping...

If people make comments about them skating better than me, I say I'm showing them that even adults have to work at things they're not necessarily very good at.

NoVa Sk8r
12-21-2006, 10:43 AM
My twin sister (in Colorado) is just amazed when I skate backward. She's never been able to master that or understand the mechanics of it.

Maybe if 2008 AN is in Colorado Springs, she can finally watch me compete ...

Team Arthritis
12-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Yes, Yoga and skating are completely foreign to most people. Some folks at work (generally the happy people) are really behind my skating. My pet peeve is one of my homophobic redneck jerk partners loves to sneak around trying to convince everyone that since I'm a male skater I must be gay. I only made matters worse when I yelled at him that I have several gay friends and most are wonderful people. Sigh, I told him that I felt sorry for him having to live in that miserable mind of his.:twisted:

Lyle
P.S. A study published in the December 2006 Proceedings of the Mayo Clinic showed that pessimists have a 42% increased risk of all cause mortality compared to optimists:!:

Isk8NYC
12-21-2006, 11:31 AM
My pet peeve is one of my homophobic redneck jerk partners loves to sneak around trying to convince everyone that since I'm a male skater I must be gay. Don't try to reason with him, just pepper your replies with "hostile work environment" and "harrassment." Write "HR VISIT" in big, red letters on your office calendar, along with "Schedule sensitivity training workshop."

Seriously, if he's starting trouble like that with you, a married man, he's probably being hostile to others as well. Supervisors/managers need to be made aware of it before someone gets upset.

Bill_S
12-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Most people are a little surprised when told. I'm not sure what's really going through their heads.

At work, there's one fellow who kids me continuously about figure skating. One morning this picture graced my office door:

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/billie-william-skating-sml.jpg

I KNOW it was him, although he never 'fessed up. I took the joke in stride. Figure skaters are tough!

Another co-worker is learning to play the violin as an adult and we both appreciate the drills that we each perform to perfect our respective craft. She's probably the most understanding of my co-workers and occasionally asks about progress. To me, learning to figure skate IS like learning to play an instrument.

Most of the rest just remember that I lost 20 pounds in my first year on the ice. That fact appears to be more significant to them as a goal and they don't ask much about skating progress, etc.

dbny
12-21-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to insult you. :halo:

:?: :?: :?: I don't recall you ever pushing me to roller skate again. It was a recreation adult at another rink. I just couldn't get her to understand that not only am I DONE with roller, but that I don't have enough time or money to do both.

I've actually never had anyone tell me what I do it odd or unusual. Mostly they are surprised and happy for me.

Isk8NYC
12-21-2006, 12:12 PM
:?: :?: :?: I don't recall you ever pushing me to roller skate again. I'm just bustin' your chops because we have discussed it in the past. I wasn't pushy, though. :halo:

FWIW, I think you'd be great if you ever tried roller skates again.

doubletoe
12-21-2006, 12:15 PM
People always ask me if they can come watch one of my competitions, but I usually don't invite them unless they (at some point) have been ON THE ICE with me. Then when you go into a single loop or a waltz jump, they react as if you just got done doing a double axel or something. Amazing how the perception changes once they are actually standing on the ice WITH YOU........ :frus:

BINGO!!!!! If it were that easy to do a triple jump, why aren't the best skaters in the world--who started skating at 5 years old, practice 20 hours a week and are the only skaters most people have seen--doing quintuple jumps?! Ugh.

Skate@Delaware
12-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Oh gosh, ALL THE TIME!!! People always ask me if they can come watch one of my competitions, but I usually don't invite them unless they (at some point) have been ON THE ICE with me. Then when you go into a single loop or a waltz jump, they react as if you just got done doing a double axel or something. Amazing how the perception changes once they are actually standing on the ice WITH YOU........ :frus:
I don't like to have people close to me watch me at comps-it is unnerving!

There is one guy I work with who is very annoying-he is trying to be "wise and sage" and all that but he ends up looking and sounding stupid (he's very young) by saying things like "You can do anything you set your mind to" etc. He doesn't understand the difficulties of this sport and it isn't always mind over matter! Maybe I need to get him on the ice with me (he does skate, barely) have him run through some of my moves and maybe that would shut him up.

doubletoe
12-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Yes, Yoga and skating are completely foreign to most people. Some folks at work (generally the happy people) are really behind my skating. My pet peeve is one of my homophobic redneck jerk partners loves to sneak around trying to convince everyone that since I'm a male skater I must be gay. I only made matters worse when I yelled at him that I have several gay friends and most are wonderful people. Sigh, I told him that I felt sorry for him having to live in that miserable mind of his.:twisted:
Lyle

Hmm. . . I wonder if someone shouldn't point out to him that if he keeps going around expressing so much interest in who is and isn't gay, people will assume he's the one with some sexuality issues to hide. . .

Team Arthritis
12-21-2006, 01:45 PM
Hmm. . . I wonder if someone shouldn't point out to him that if he keeps going around expressing so much interest in who is and isn't gay, people will assume he's the one with some sexuality issues to hide. . .

Yeh, poor fellow definitely has some issues. He is the only true sadist I have ever met. Sure some people will pretend, but he is the real deal.
Lyle

looplover
12-21-2006, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=Skate@Delaware;301803]There is one guy I work with who is very annoying-he is trying to be "wise and sage" and all that but he ends up looking and sounding stupid (he's very young) by saying things like "You can do anything you set your mind to" etc. QUOTE]

Heh my boss is funny, I came back from a lunchtime practice one day forcing him to listen to my tales of skating (wonder that's why he just changed positions and is moving out of our office) and I told him I didn't fall -- he told me you don't really try if you don't fall, and I said ok, but maybe I was doing it right! Pessimist!!

Terri C
12-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Maybe if 2008 AN is in Colorado Springs, she can finally watch me compete ...

Hey, do you know something we don't??:halo:

Actually I had a couple of instances of this yesterday.
Yesterday, the chief surgical resident told one of the residents that I was a professional skater. Okay, I don't have any endorsements or sponsorships here.
Last night, my father was talking to a family friend that we haven't seen in awhile. I talk to her a bit and tell her about my skating- when Dad interrupts telling me "Tell her how many medals you have!" While I didn't tell her about that, I did tell her about my recently passed test and my goal to qualify to 2008 AN.
And several co- workers ask if I've been to the outdoor seasonal rink in my area- uh no.

e-skater
12-21-2006, 03:53 PM

When I saw my doctor earlier this year, she asked if I was still skating, and I think she was just being polite when she asked how it was going.

Of course, being ever the over-enthusiastic adult onset skater, and all too happy to "share" even the most minor of successes...... :lol: ..... I replied by telling her about some of the "concrete" things I'd done in skating since I saw her last (hoping that concrete things like passing a test, or skating in a competition, would be the most understandable for a person who had never skated).

It was hysterical when she kind of sat there and briefly studied me. The look on her face could have been on the Mastercard ads, I'm sure....."priceless"! She didn't at all "get it" . And to quote you, looplover, she definitely looked mystified. It was weird, because I think maybe she thought I might have gotten a brain and given up skating over the last year!

She even said "But WHY are you doing all this? For what reason? Where does it fit in in the scheme of things? It's not like you'll be going to the Olympics!"

Darn, and here I was thinking I'd be the first 58 ( by next Olys) year-old to skate there!!!! LOL!!!!!

sceptique
12-21-2006, 05:22 PM
:D The only person who expresses any kind of negativism about my skating is my mom - but it's mostly her concern that I might injure myself. My colleagues typical reaction is: "Wow, that's so cool! How do you find time to do that?" I think, in my profession most people are envious of those who have some kind of life outside work - nobody assumes you do it for any kind of rational benefit other than getting fit and having fun.

Also, when I remarked to one of my colleagues that I'm a pretty lousy skater as I keep coming last in competitions, she replied: "C'mon, you are actually skating in competitions, doing jumps and stuff, that's amazing - most people would be happy just to be able to skate forward!"

Nobody ever asked me "why would you want to compete at all?" - which doesn't surprise me. My workmates are a bunch of alpha-personalities for whom competing is as natural as breathing. Doing something, even a hobby, and not benchmarking yourself against competition every other second? Unthinkable! :D :D

SkatingOnClouds
12-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Yeah, it is so funny. At age 47 and very overweight, I don't look like I would do anything physical, let alone something most people perceive as graceful or athletic.

When they hear I skate, they are surprised. Around here it is not a common sport, very few people here can skate at all. When they hear that I actually jump and spin, their faces are comical as they try to reconcile the skaters they see in Olympics with the idea of my doing those things.

doubletoe
12-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Yeh, poor fellow definitely has some issues. He is the only true sadist I have ever met. Sure some people will pretend, but he is the real deal.
Lyle

Yikes! 8O Scary. . .

froggy
12-21-2006, 06:58 PM
family: they don't even ask me about it, I get this feeling they think I'm nuts

friends/co-workers: its either extreme some ask if I can do a triple axel yet or a double and then look bewildered why if im skating for 2yrs I'm not. others have no clue about skating and ask me "isnt boring to just skate around in circles?!". And then there are some who think its the coolest thing in the world and if i skate with them at the rink they will start applauding when I do a toe loop! :??

Skate@Delaware
12-21-2006, 07:09 PM
She even said "But WHY are you doing all this? For what reason? Where does it fit in in the scheme of things? It's not like you'll be going to the Olympics!"

Darn, and here I was thinking I'd be the first 58 ( by next Olys) year-old to skate there!!!! LOL!!!!!
You could have been really mean and said, "Well, why do you practice medicine? It's not like you are going to invent a new procedure or find an unknown disease in THIS place?";) but that's mean....

I just tell people that it's my sport and it's safer than hang-gliding, plus there are no cliffs around here.....that shuts them up. (I don't mention the falls and head whacks I've received for the glory of the sport).:D

Theres always the Senior Olympics! (but Delaware doesn't participated in the senior winter olys).

Rusty Blades
12-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Yeah, it is so funny. At age 47 and very overweight, I don't look like I would do anything physical, let alone something most people perceive as graceful or athletic.

I can identify with that! I'm 57, over weight and known as The Dragon Lady around the office - big burly construction workers quake in their boots when I get on a tear. It wouldn't surprise anyone if I climbed on a bulldozer and started digging dirt but when I first mentioned that I was getting back into figure skating the laughter was deafening! :roll: There were sundry comments about wearing a tutu 8O and it has taken a year for the laughter to die down.

sue123
12-21-2006, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure if I qualify for AOSS because I think I was about 19 when I started getting into this whole thing. In the US, I was able to vote and smoke and buy lottery tickets, but a trip to Las Vegas would have been useless for me. My coach said I was a gray area, too old to be a child, too young for an adult.

Anyway, last year, one of my classmates started piano lessons. It was no secret with anyone in the department that I skated. Anyway, the other students were kind of ragging on this guy, saying he should take up ballet instead. So this girl responds "If Sue can figure skate, why can't Jordan do ballet?" Doesn't sound too bad, but when she said it, she almost sneered at me. But this guy always supported me with skating, and I was always supporting him in his piano lessons. We used to joke that he would see me at the Olympics and I would watch him at Carnegie Hall.

For the most part, I haven't had too much negativity. My family just accepts it as another one of those crazy things that I do, my family friends the same. One of them is a 16 year old hockey player and he is really serious about hockey. He's looking into getting a hockey scholarship and is always away at tournaments and all that. He thinks it's awesome that I skate. Sure he is easily able to beat me in a race around the rink, but he gets really impressed when I do a waltz jump or sit spin, especially after he tried and fell flat on his face. Only htey all keep asking me when I will enter a competition so they could come and watch me perform. I told them if they would be willing to pay for my coach, entry fees, club membership fees, ice time, etc., then sure, I'll enter a competition. Until then, I'm saving my money for my Europe trip.

doubletoe
12-21-2006, 09:20 PM
There were sundry comments about wearing a tutu 8O and it has taken a year for the laughter to die down.

Oh yeah, talk of figure skating too often illicits annoying terminology like "twirl" and "tutu." Ugh. :roll:

teresa
12-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Yes, all the time. I used to share that I skate, now not so much. Family I do, but that's not saying they understand.

teresa

Casey
12-22-2006, 02:30 AM
Oh yeah, talk of figure skating too often illicits annoying terminology like "twirl" and "tutu." Ugh. :roll:
I've been asked, while on ice, by a bunch of teenage idiots who couldn't skate, to do a "triple twirly". When I ignored them, they chased me around endlessly shouting "do a triple twirly!" continually.

Being a male skater, I also get the gay thing a lot. It used to bother me but then I realized I really don't care. Okay, so some guy thinks I'm gay...well that doesn't affect me in any way. It's not like I wanna date him or anything after all so what's his opinion matter? ;)

Skate@Delaware
12-22-2006, 07:57 AM
I met this recreational hockey skater (a very good one!!!) at a public session. After a few sessions, I asked if he ever considered figure skating, like, pairs?? He said he would like to but he was afraid his wife would get jealous (darn!) He would have been good-had great footwork, posture, 6 foot tall, and worked out. Too bad!!! (sigh) back to hubby....

Team Arthritis
12-22-2006, 09:54 AM
It's not like you'll be going to the Olympics!"

When I go, I think I'll have to buy a ticket, sigh
Lyle:roll:

Rusty Blades
12-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Too bad!!! (sigh) back to hubby....

ROFLMAO!!!!

Sonic
12-23-2006, 01:18 PM
I've been lucky, my friends and family, and most of my colleagues have been really supportive. A few have asked if they can come and watch competitions - eek! I keep having to explain that I'm only a beginner and they'd probably be a bit disapointed.

I get a bit of ribbing, too, like 'So are we going to see you in the next Olympics?'

To which I reply, 'Well maybe, but I've heard Sasha Cohen is a bit jealous of my quadruple Axel'. :lol:

S xxx

Casey
12-24-2006, 05:17 AM
In response to the "can you do a triple then?" in response to somebody finding out if you skate, you should ask them in return, "can you ride a bike? ya? so can you do THIS yet?"
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8867862777896510907

Ice Dancer
12-24-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm lucky in that I have had nothing but support from family and friends. I was worried about raising the subject with my partner when I decided to learn, but I could not wish for him to be more supportive. Whenever I see anyone who knows I skate they always ask how it is going, and I love showing my skates off.

The only stupid comment I have had was from a good male friend I have. I told him that the other night I was wearing my skates indoors, and he replied "I don't think thats a good idea, you might twist your ankle"!! I mean surely there is more chance of that ON the ice! I do wonder how he thought I got onto the ice, he must have assumed that I put them on once I was on!! Prat.

NCSkater02
12-25-2006, 07:13 AM
Most of my family and friends think I am crazy to be skating, but they have all been supportive.

My family has never seen me skate--they live in Missouri and Colorado--but know that I skate and usually ask how it's going when I talk to them. The soon-to-be ex was (I think) jealous that I had found something that I enjoyed enough to be devoted to.

Friends and co-workers are usually surprised to hear it, then usually ask if I can do a triple *anything*. I usually reply with "does this look like a body that can do a triple?" :lol: Then they are really impressed with the loss of 45 pounds and the legs.

They ask to come to a competition, but I am reluctant to let anybody I know see me skate. It's still bad enough that judges are watching. Have to get over the nervousness thing still.

russiet
12-25-2006, 08:41 AM
...Friends and co-workers are usually surprised to hear it, then usually ask if I can do a triple *anything*....

My response to any one who asks me about doing triples is that I can do one-sixth of a triple very consistantly.

jazzpants
12-25-2006, 09:20 AM
I was at my Christmas party yesterday where my husband was hooking up his digital camera to the TV output so people can see what was on his camera. One of the item he put on TV was a video of me doing a backspin and another video doing a loop jump (and landing on two feet...)

My SIL tells my niece (her daughter) "Oooooh, look at that jump! That's your Auntie Jazzpants skating!!!" (Of course, this was AFTER my disasterous skate trying to skate at Jones' Beach with non-sharpened rental skates and crappy ice....) Niece was curious about it!!!

You know... in my coaches's eyes, I really need work! But in my 3 year old niece's eyes, I'm Michelle Kwan and her skating hero! ;) :mrgreen:

samba
12-25-2006, 12:46 PM
You know... in my coaches's eyes, I really need work! But in my 3 year old niece's eyes, I'm Michelle Kwan and her skating hero! ;) :mrgreen:

And that makes it all worth while.

Sk8pdx
12-25-2006, 08:54 PM
In response to the "can you do a triple then?" in response to somebody finding out if you skate, you should ask them in return, "can you ride a bike? ya? so can you do THIS yet?"
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8867862777896510907

Hey, :!: :P that's my technical solo program music (FS 3) playing in the background! :)

Casey, thanks for sharing such provoking videos in recent posts. I think you must be real bored, or the hypothermia is setting in from not having any electricity for so long. :P ;) :lol:

... and Jazzpants, you are my hero too. :bow:8-)

samba
12-26-2006, 03:40 AM
I can remember a work colleage saying "1 1/2 minutes, you work all year round to do a 1.5 minute programme?" I'm just glad that she has never come to watch me, I think I would die a death.

Rusty Blades
12-26-2006, 07:36 AM
The soon-to-be ex was (I think) jealous that I had found something that I enjoyed enough to be devoted to.

OUCH! That hit a nerve!

I wrecked in '68 and had knee problems for about 10 years after that and didn't skate. I married (again) in 1980 and a few years later suggested to my hubby that we go skating. He was really DOWN on that idea - he was adverse to any kind of "exercise" - LOL! - and I let him talk (and "guilt") me out of it - MISTAKE! I should have gone anyway - I would have had 20 more years on the ice.

So my advice to the younger ones - DON'T LET ANYBODY TALK (or guilt) YOU OUT OF IT! If you love it, DO IT!

Skate@Delaware
12-26-2006, 07:55 AM
OUCH! That hit a nerve!

I wrecked in '68 and had knee problems for about 10 years after that and didn't skate. I married (again) in 1980 and a few years later suggested to my hubby that we go skating. He was really DOWN on that idea - he was adverse to any kind of "exercise" - LOL! - and I let him talk (and "guilt") me out of it - MISTAKE! I should have gone anyway - I would have had 20 more years on the ice.

So my advice to the younger ones - DON'T LET ANYBODY TALK (or guilt) YOU OUT OF IT! If you love it, DO IT!
So very true! Everyone needs a hobby or past-time that they love and enjoy. If you let other's guilt you out of doing those things you enjoy, then what do you have left? It's these hobbies that help to round our personality and give us an outlet for our frustrations, our creativity, etc.

Go for what you want to do!!!

cecealias
12-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Oh god, again and again. I've had coworkers, friends and family when i was in basic skate can you do a triple-triple? or, Kids can do double doubles, why can't you? should be easy right? Or people who say "Why do you even bother? It's such a waste of time, you should Quit. you should Quit Quit QUIT." When people ask you those stupid things, ask them if their going to be playing Tiger Woods in their next golf match, or if they plan on going to Wimbeldon. Chances are, they're probably not, But you can bet they will scathingly defend their sport.

But you know what, a lot of these people don't know what they're missing out on. They're the ones who are going to have heart disease and diabetes from being overweight and out of shape. They can't catch a cup falling off a table without it spilling but I can -- the reflexes you can get from skating are amazing. Skating gives you so much mentally and physically that is positive - that'll never happen from sitting in an office.

That's why I'm more than motivated to stick with skating, even when people tell me, "You can't, you're too old" or that "You never will, because you're too uncoordinated and have learning problems" or "You'll never get any good cause so and so is always going to be better than you." There is so much negativity in the world, but when I skate I feel that I am free of people who are negative. I skate for myself, not for someone else and nobody can ever take that away from me. That's the bottom line, and the health benefits are SUPER FINE.

Basically I don't tell people anymore unless they respect the sport to begin with or if they are going to get on the ice with me. When people ask me how I lost 30 pounds or how I manage to stay fit, I say, oh well let me ask you one thing -"do you think Figure skating is a prissy sport?" And if they say "yeah it's for queenies or it's just a bunch of fluff", Well then they're not deserving to know about the priceless benefits. hahaha... :halo:

Team Arthritis
12-27-2006, 08:22 AM
When they ask for a triple I go right out and do my triple but spin -"see I can do a Triple!"
Lyle

Rusty Blades
12-27-2006, 09:51 AM
They ask to come to a competition, but I am reluctant to let anybody I know see me skate. It's still bad enough that judges are watching.

LOL! I feel your pain NC, I really do! As one of the newest and most over-the-hill adult skaters around here, I am also one of the worst! I picked an out of town competition 'cause there wont be any of the local adults there. Recently I realized that I am going to HAVE to skate my program in front of the local crowd anyway (in practice) - so much for that wonderful plan! (But I am in too deep to get out of it now :roll: )

Team Arthritis
12-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Recently I realized that I am going to HAVE to skate my program in front of the local crowd anyway (in practice) - so much for that wonderful plan! (But I am in too deep to get out of it now :roll: )
http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/scared0012.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)
Go RUSTY. Remember, they really don't care and when we blow our program infront of everyone else in practice. That makes us one of the gang; a REAL skater IMHO.
Lyle

Emberchyld
12-27-2006, 10:43 AM
When they ask for a triple I go right out and do my triple but spin -"see I can do a Triple!"
Lyle

:lol: I have to remember this.

In general, my family, friends, and coworkers think I'm insane, so I get away with doing practically any nutty thing with just an :roll: and a lecture about:

Boss: *snort* We need to wrap you in bubble wrap. Don't go breaking anything because we can't afford to drag you around on crutches again.

Dad-- respects the fact that I'm not afraid to try anything and likes that I march to my own beat. Then he and Mom and some family-minded coworkers: "How are you supposed to meet someone doing skating and ballet? Why don't you do something where there are nice, Portuguese (in my parent's case) men?:frus: :frus: (I don't even try to answer that. The most I've done is just threaten to start skating at rinks in areas with lots Portuguese :lol: and then skate up to every male in the rink and ask if they were Portuguese or not. That solicited a :roll: ):frus:

Sisters: :roll: Why are you paying so much money for skating? See, we can do the same things that you do and we do it for free (then comes an attempt at a two footed spin... or calling me boring when I work on something like stroking or crossovers)... or my one sister, when I came home glowing from my first waltz jump: "Great, now you can teach it to me for free!"

Friends: "No, we DON'T want to go skating today. Don't you want to go to Applebees instead?":??

I just tell them that it's something that I want to do, that it's great therapy for my leg and great exercise in general, and that I like to do things the right way, with lessons, etc. And then I blissfully pack myself into the car and drive off to the rink.

kateskate
12-27-2006, 10:51 AM
: Then he and Mom and some family-minded coworkers: "How are you supposed to meet someone doing skating and ballet? Why don't you do something where there are nice, Portuguese (in my parent's case) men?:frus: :frus: (I don't even try to answer that. The most I've done is just threaten to start skating at rinks in areas with lots Portuguese :lol: and then skate up to every male in the rink and ask if they were Portuguese or not. That solicited a :roll: ):frus:

Glad someone else gets that. Am always being told - 'You'll never meet a guy a the rink.'

Surprisingly I don't skate to meet a guy. Its probably true that I won't meet a guy at the rink but do I care! They don't really get it.

Mrs Redboots
12-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Muggles don't tend to understand, do they? The funniest occasion was when we were driving home from the Dune of Flanders Cup one year. At the time, Customs and Excise tended to stop quite a lot of cars and vans going back on the Shuttle (they've rather stopped doing it now - I think they overdid it and Enough was felt to have been Enough), and, sure enough we were stopped.

Customs Officer: "Good evening, Sir and Madam. Would you mind telling me the purpose of your trip to France this time?"

Me: "We came over to participate in an adult skating competition in Dunkerque".

Long pause, broken only by sound of Customs Officer's jaw hitting the floor.

Customs Officer: "Er, did you win?"

Me (I had, that year!): "Yes, and I've a hideous cup to prove it!"

Oh dear, it was seriously funny, it really was.

Team Arthritis
12-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Long pause, broken only by sound of Customs Officer's jaw hitting the floor.

Customs Officer: "Er, did you win?"

Me (I had, that year!): "Yes, and I've a hideous cup to prove it!"

Oh dear, it was seriously funny, it really was.
ROTFLOLhttp://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/tongue0015.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)
Lyle

Thin-Ice
12-28-2006, 02:34 AM
Mrs. Redboots--

THIS is a wonderful story!!! Did you show the customs officer the cup or was it already packed away?

My husband always hopes I DON'T win a trophy (so far, I've mostly lived up to his expectations -- I think I've brough home two in 15 years)... because he does all the dusting at our house.. and he doesn't want to have anything "extra" to dust. I figure it's a fair trade.. I don't skate well enough to win when trophies are offered and still don't have to do that part of the housework!

Rusty Blades
12-28-2006, 04:48 AM
Customs Officer: "Er, did you win?" , , , Oh dear, it was seriously funny, it really was.

LOL! In my other sport (summer time) I cross the U.S. border to compete once a month. When returning to Canada, the only question I get at Customs is "How did you do this weekend?" I have never done well enough to have my winnings taxed - LOL!

Mrs Redboots
12-28-2006, 06:35 AM
Mrs. Redboots--

THIS is a wonderful story!!! Did you show the customs officer the cup or was it already packed away?I can't remember, it was some years ago now! We did relent and tell him we'd also been shopping and bought a fair amount of wines and spirits, among other things.... but I was killing myself laughing at the time, and trying not to laugh out loud.

LWalsh
12-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Its probably true that I won't meet a guy at the rink but do I care! They don't really get it.

Not true! My aunt and uncle met at the rink. She was a figure skater and he was a hockey player. They've been happily married for many years. Now they take their kids skating.

Isk8NYC
12-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Glad someone else gets that. Am always being told - 'You'll never meet a guy a the rink.'I know that, at least in my area, there are very few male figure skaters. However, there are opportunities!

My adult skating clique used to add a few new people to the crew every year - "new recruits," we used to call them. Two of those recruits are now married for many years, with 2 (or 3) kids. He's the president of one of the figure skating clubs and they're both still active skaters, as are their kids.

I also know of several hockey player/figure skater romances that led to dates and marriages. They met by skating at the same public session each week. (This was an adult session with a DJ, lights, music, and a lot of fun!)

If you're alert and open to meeting new people, it CAN happen.
Skating's just another form of social networking.
For a guy, it's an ideal place to meet women!

Skate@Delaware
12-28-2006, 12:05 PM
My skating director met her husband at the rink...he was (and still is) a hockey player. They met, married and they still skate. Their son skates (he is awesome for a little guy-skates figure and hockey). Great people!

looplover
12-28-2006, 05:52 PM

The teenage guys seem to really like me, but as I am 39, uh...no...

Creepy married guys hit on me at the rink. I keep hoping an attractive single guy over 38 will show up at his niece or nephew's birthday party one weekend. :D

Emberchyld
12-28-2006, 06:36 PM

*giggle* Too bad I spend every session totally focussed on either

A) trying to work on move du jour
B) NOT looking at the ice
C) Not looking at the ice while looking at the ice to avoid skating over a candy wrapper or coin
D) Avoiding mini goons

The few guys who come to my rink who are between the ages of 20-50 and aren't married must think I'm grumpy with eye problems! :D :lol:

Now, if only Santa could bring me a belated gift of a skating physical therapist/ sports medicine doc (because, with the rate I'm going, that's the best route for me!), between the ages of 25-35, and Portuguese (to make my parents happy), I'm all set 8-)

I wonder what would happen if rinks instituted singles nights?

Skate@Delaware
12-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Now, if only Santa could bring me a belated gift of a skating physical therapist/ sports medicine doc (because, with the rate I'm going, that's the best route for me!), between the ages of 25-35, and Portuguese (to make my parents happy), I'm all set 8-)

Would make a great made-for-tv movie! injured figure skater falls for her physical therapist, recovers just before big competition, he proposes just before she skates....she wins....they marry....end up happily ever after!!!

Isk8NYC
12-29-2006, 04:12 AM
I wonder what would happen if rinks instituted singles nights?I would think that Floyd Hall would be the only institution willing to take a chance. You could ask.

Hey - I know a young (late 20's/early 30's) Portuguese guy who's single but very cute. Lives in New Jersey .... not sure about the girlfriend sitch. I'll have to make enquiries "next year."

Would make a great made-for-tv movie! injured figure skater falls for her physical therapist, recovers just before big competition, he proposes just before she skates....she wins....they marry....end up happily ever after!!!
I like it!

Ice Dancer
12-29-2006, 04:41 AM

You would end up with about 50 women and 2 guys and there would be fights on the ice over them!!

kateskate
12-29-2006, 05:02 AM
I know that, at least in my area, there are very few male figure skaters. However, there are opportunities!

I'm sure - usually I'm too engrossed in my skating to notice.

And the guys at our rink are either under the age of 14, over the age of 50 or just really weird.

I do always tell my male friends who are single and complaining about it to take up skating though.

russiet
12-29-2006, 05:43 AM
...the guys at our rink are either under the age of 14, over the age of 50 or just really weird...

Hey, so that was you I was trying to talk to at the arena the other day?? :twisted:

kateskate
12-29-2006, 06:35 AM
Hey, so that was you I was trying to talk to at the arena the other day?? :twisted:

Does that imply that you are under 14, over 50 or weird? :lol: ;)

Emberchyld
12-29-2006, 08:33 AM
I would think that Floyd Hall would be the only institution willing to take a chance. You could ask.

Hey - I know a young (late 20's/early 30's) Portuguese guy who's single but very cute. Lives in New Jersey .... not sure about the girlfriend sitch. I'll have to make enquiries "next year."

Hmmm.... sounds promising :D Now, if he's single and doesn't mind hearing rink reports every day for the rest of his life, I see a match made in skating heaven :halo:

:lol: I love it! Sounds just like something that ABC family would do!

sue123
12-29-2006, 08:47 AM

Aviator has a singles night, but I think it's for ages 25-40, which doesn't do me much good. They also have a teens night. I think singles night is on Thursday night.

I actually met a guy at the rink a couple times. Nothing much ever came from it except for a few dinners. One was a hockey player I met at a public session I went to with a friend of mine. My friend also liked him, but he actually liked me better. Sorry. We went out a couple times, went to the rink together a few times, but we then realized we were too much alike, adn that would be bad.

Another guy was a skate guard at Chelsea Piers. I had gone to a public session to break in my skates while my dad's friends son went to hockey practice. I ended up the whole time skating around with the skate guard. I went out with him, and I think he may have liked me, but I wasn't too into him.

I think you have a better chance of meeting someone on a public session where you're not focused on practicing so much.

kateskate
12-29-2006, 08:51 AM
I also went out with a skater once for a few months - but not from my rink. At least he understood getting up early to skate and didn't think I was loopy!

Mrs Redboots
12-29-2006, 10:54 AM
I wonder what would happen if rinks instituted singles nights?Aren't the weekend evening disco sessions designed for that? I rather think they are, here - but those are not sessions designed for people who can skate!

russiet
12-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Does that imply that you are under 14, over 50 or weird? :lol: ;)

Two out of the three. Over 50 and, as my wife likes to remind me, I'm weird (but not in a bad way). :halo:

I skate mostly with women - the men in my area are almost exclusively hockey skaters. I've been busy trying to convert a few of them, but it's a long uphill battle.

doubletoe
12-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Muggles don't tend to understand, do they?

I LOVE IT!!

Mrs Redboots
12-30-2006, 06:48 AM
I skate mostly with women - the men in my area are almost exclusively hockey skaters. I've been busy trying to convert a few of them, but it's a long uphill battle.Admittedly I don't skate on public sessions, but there must have been (not including the coach) five or six men in their fifties on the ice this morning, many with their wives with them! And only two or perhaps three young boys.

Rusty Blades
12-30-2006, 03:28 PM
. . . there must have been (not including the coach) five or six men in their fifties on the ice this morning . . .

I was ready to start packing my bags! Until I read the last part

many with their wives with them! And only two or perhaps three young boys.

:cry: :cry:

LOL!

jazzpants
12-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I know, Rusty Blades! Sadly, you're not gonna fare better in my neck of the woods either! Most of the guys in my neck of the woods are "on a different team", if you know what I mean... :roll: LOL!!!

Rusty Blades
12-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Most of the guys in my neck of the woods are "on a different team", if you know what I mean... :roll: LOL!!!

Can I "switch hit" ? 8O 8O 8O

At least you HAVE guys! There is only 1 "mature" gentleman among all the different clubs I skate with.

pedonskates
12-30-2006, 09:44 PM
Living in the desert now - having moved from western New York 18 months ago - I get lots of weird looks when people find out I'm a figure skater.

When I first started my job, my boss introduced me to the board of directors of the children's research center. He told them I was an "international figure skater." It's hard to correct people about that..

During the last Olympics, I was called by one of my physician colleagues. He called through our referral line, so the operator stays on the line in case we need help arranging patient transfers. His question to me was (right after Michelle withdrew),"did they call you from Italy yet?" My immediate smart-aleck response was "They did, but I'm on call, so I told them to let Emily go instead, particularly since I've been having some trouble with my triple-triple combination." We laughed hard wondering what the operator was thinking of our conversation.

Then, I was on rounds with several residents, a couple of nurses and our social worker. One mom said,"I have a question for you." I thought she was going to ask something serious about her daughter's leukemia. Instead, she asked, "SO, do you wear boxers or a thong under those skimpy skating dresses??" Too much information.......

Pedonskates

Ice Dancer
12-31-2006, 02:23 PM
There was a "dating on ice" event!! There isn't a link to the actual page but it is on

http://www.smoothandgorgeous.com

under dating on ice. Gaynor Faye and Dan Whiston went.

das_mondlicht
01-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Some of my non-skating friends saw my move video clips and always came up with "I expect to see triple axels!". Don't I wish I could be Kimmie, Mao or Yu-na Kim? I just politely reply, bring yourself to come skating with me. I will show you the theory of doing it!

Luna

techskater
01-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Yu Na doesn't have a triple Axel either, though!