View Full Version : Men's Practicewear?

sunjoy
12-18-2006, 02:34 PM
What do guys wear for practice? I usually wear sweats (the baggy kind) but I want to get something a little less ugly.

Aside from tights for speedskating, I've never bought stretchy stuff before so I have no idea about sizing. I want something in-between sweats and tights. Guess I should check-out a sporting goods store, because neither the pro-shop nor regular clothing stores are any good for this.

Bill_S
12-18-2006, 03:38 PM
I currently wear three different black men's semi-dress slacks to skate in, and one dark blue pair. The brands include Claiborne, Hagger, and Dockers available at a local department store for about $25-30/pair.

The Haggers are fairly comfortable because they have a stretch waist to accomodate movement, but have a low crotch (for me at least). Verdict - grandpa pants.

The Dockers and the Claiborns are both 100% cotton, but I've found that the edges of the pockets tend to lighten on the Dockers after repeated washings.

The Claibornes are my favorites (although the fit is a little more snug than the others) especially because the pocket lining is black. On most dress trousers the pockets are made of a white material that shows when you're bent at the waist or your legs are elevated, but the black pockets of the Claibornes blends in. I hate to be skating and think I'm about to lose my handkerchief when it's nothing more me catching a glimpse of the pocket interior.

A skating friend once bought a stretchy fabric athletic outfit (trousers, plus a turtleneck top) for me to wear to the rink, but I felt a little self conscious in the thin, clingy fabric. The trousers weren't tights, but were fairly close fitting. Besides they had no pockets on the side for my always-needed handkerchief. The pocket was located on the rear, but I don't like to put anything there because I'll eventually fall on it.

Bill_S
12-18-2006, 03:39 PM
I forgot to mention that I don't like my blue pair of Dockers much because I look like a Maytag appliance repairman on the ice.

pairman2
12-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Hi
I got a pant jacket set from REI that's full of stretch, cut like regular mens slackes, made for outdoor wet (or puddles on ice), quick dry,breathable, sharp contemporary cut, and zip pockets so I don't drop my stuff on the ice. Perfect
It's slightly lighter the ski wear so it's wearable all year round

Lee

Team Arthritis
12-18-2006, 04:09 PM
When its cold, I prefer the polartec skating pants. These are so called unisex but are usually listed in women's sizes - just get a size larger. One thing I like about them is they have a high crotch - I hate being hobbled by baggies. Occaisionally they are on sale at dancefactoryoutlet.com

When its warmer, I like to wear pants by otomix. These are light weight karate pants with lots of crazy colors. Their only problem is that they are baggies so I wear them high on my waist.

I'm also a big fan of wearing a dance jock aka dance belt for support. Much better than anything else I've tried.

For tops, I like a skin layer of a Walmart elcheapo compression shirt. Everything else just slides over it very nicely.

I also like to use a neoprene waist wrap (sold for "spot weight loss") around my lower back - this really helps with the back achies.

Lyle

NoVa Sk8r
12-18-2006, 05:22 PM
I wear old competition pants from BlueSkys (that I bought when the US dollar was strong against the Canadian dollar--not the case anymore!):
http://www.blueskys.com/Catalogue/products.asp?catidx=1&cat=5

I believe I have the 4010C. I also have the 4010CV, but I've only worn them once (:roll: ) since I've been using my pair outfit for my singles program as well. :halo:

Some other skating wear for men:
http://www.mondor.com/en/md_GlaceCollectionStyleForm.asp?sCatKey=MSGL&sCollKey=HOMG&sStyleKey=747

http://www.gk-elitesportswear.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+L0C3E3A2463103366C12763G+DEV+ENG

http://www.onwardonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=O&Product_Code=mbp001&Category_Code=

I like all these pants because they are stretchy, not baggy, and have a stirrup.

A while back, I had Nike running pants, and they were good until they ripped by the zip ankles.

2salch0w
12-18-2006, 07:52 PM
I sometimes wear sweat pants or running pants, but I don't like the windbreaker material because it is too noisy when doing crossovers. LOL So it has to be a cotton/nylon sorta blend.

But usually I either wear my Capezio cotton stretchy pants, or these black nylon stretchy pants that I found in the women's section at Target. OK, ok, har har har. But you get to a point where you just don't care anymore and you want what will work. I got so sick of buying pants that hung too low in the crotch on the mediums, and were high-waters on the smalls.

So, walking by the women's section I see these pants and I say to my wife "Now why can't they make that for men?" So she says 'Just get them then'. And you'll be happy to know I'm a ladies' medium and they are still my favorite skating pants.

Oh yeah, I like the stretchiness for comfort, but you need to wear a shirt that hangs a little low ... if you get my drift. ;-)

For shirts it is usually just a tee shirt with a sweat shirt over it. Once I warm up I am fine in the tee shirt, and even a sleeveless shirt in the summer. I have even wore shorts skating in the summer.

Tim

TimDavidSkate
12-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Track pants and tights :halo: I gave up on sweatpants because whenever I wear them, I would get my toe picks stuck within the bulk and it would cause me to trip over8O So careful when wearing sweats

Shinn-Reika
12-18-2006, 10:06 PM
I wear a t-shirt and a pair of training pants. I guess that's what you would call them.

Casey
12-18-2006, 10:47 PM
I wear a t-shirt and a pair of training pants. I guess that's what you would call them.
Shinn! You're still here! :D How is your skating coming?

Thin-Ice
12-19-2006, 02:37 AM
The Claibornes are my favorites (although the fit is a little more snug than the others) especially because the pocket lining is black. On most dress trousers the pockets are made of a white material that shows when you're bent at the waist or your legs are elevated, but the black pockets of the Claibornes blends in. I hate to be skating and think I'm about to lose my handkerchief when it's nothing more me catching a glimpse of the pocket interior.

If the white pocket is a problem, you could just have it sewn closed and then cut out. Anyone who has a sewing machine and can sew a straight seam could do this.. or if you're truly desperate, take it to a tailor or a dry-cleaner and have them do it.

Bill_S
12-19-2006, 06:53 AM
If the white pocket is a problem, you could just have it sewn closed and then cut out.

The thought has crossed my mind, but I NEED those pockets for my handkerchief! Further down in my post I mention a pair of stretchy athletic pants that have only a pocket on the rear - where I fall. No lumps there please!

In a rink, I must have a handkerchief for my high-performance nose!

lovepairs
12-19-2006, 07:06 AM
Hey you guys,

Se_ku makes a really cool looking thermal top for men. Pairsman2 has one (I bought it for him at the Dallas, Adult Nationals) Se_ku is an official sponsor of the Adult Pair Skating Website and will have a booth at Adult Nationals in Chicago--so, don't forget to stop by and ask for the men's top--it's soft and it moves and it has a hot looking logo. She directly supports skaters, so let's support her! Thanks guys...it would be nicer if you could look a little "hotter" for us out there!

pairman2
12-19-2006, 07:39 AM
The Secu shirt is very comfortable and looking good is alway a premium!

BTW, Tim
'But usually I either wear my Capezio cotton stretchy pants, or these black nylon stretchy pants that I found in the women's section at Target. OK, ok, har har har. But you get to a point where you just don't care anymore and you want what will work'

I was in the mall recently and I saw these yound guys wearing jeans with the weirdest cut I'd ever seen, so thin in the leg my arm wouldn't even fit in them and really baggy in the a**, even with super low waist. I was informed by my daughter that guys are now buying womens jeans.....(&*%&^%$^%$^%$

Bill_S
12-19-2006, 08:02 AM
Hey you guys,
Thanks guys...it would be nicer if you could look a little "hotter" for us out there!

I'd settle for lukewarm at my age.

Skate@Delaware
12-19-2006, 08:07 AM
I "graduated" hubby into the realm of real skating pants, but he occasionally wears these cotton pants with an elastic waist (i.e. baggy grandpa pants-they look horrible!!!). I made him 2 pair of pants out of heavyweight stretch gabardine (one has silver piping down the side-at his request).

He also has pants we bought from Walmart-exercise pants. They were really baggy in the leg (he's a bit portly and that's the way they are made) so I took in the legs to give a leaner line. I stitched the pockets closed so he would not put his keys in them :roll: !

None of his pants have stirrips.

MusicSkateFan
12-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Running pants or running tights. I have to have something that is fairly tight around the cuff/ankle:frus: . I cant stand getting my blade caught in my pants in a spin or jump:twisted: ! I really ripped up a pair of good nylon running pants so go with the more stretchy type. I bought some Asics running pants that are tighter than most pants but a little looser than tights. They have a zipper on the lower leg that is good in some aspects but the zipper tends to open up at times.

People may not enjoy seeing a dude figure skate around in running tights but too damn bad8-) . They work for me......big butt and all!:roll:

Mrs Redboots
12-19-2006, 10:50 AM
The Husband wears a pair of tracky bums with an elasticated cuff at the ankle - he does have a pair of green sweatpants, ditto, but finds them too warm, plus he looks like a leprechaun in them, so almost never wears them. His trackies are nice, though.

For dance club he has a very, very, very old pair of skating trousers that weigh a ton that we bought by mistake in a jumble sale many years ago, and then a few years later found them in an old sack of jumble we'd put away and forgotten about - just in time for him to wear them to compete. Anybody who's seen him compete has seen these trousers, basically!

However, they have always been a little tight, and now he's gone back to free skating, they keep splitting in the wrong place when he does a spiral, so we have just invested in a cheap (and to be honest, not desperately nice) pair of skating trousers from Bunty (http://bunty-sportswear.co.uk/main.html). We may yet invest in a rather nicer pair, but he needed a pair in a hurry! Not a lot wrong with them, except he finds them cold, and although we ordered the correct size, they are a bit big for him.

black
12-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Erm, actually I wear jeans to skate in. I know some people may think negatively of them, but I find them comfy.

On top, a long sleeved merino t-shirt - that fabric is magic!!

aussieskater
12-19-2006, 05:10 PM
However, they have always been a little tight, and now he's gone back to free skating, they keep splitting in the wrong place when he does a spiral

Um, Mrs RB - is there a "right" place to split?? :P :D :D

russiet
12-19-2006, 09:11 PM
X-C Ski Pants by Sporthill

lovepairs
12-20-2006, 06:06 AM
BillS,

Why settle for luckwarm? Here's a secret (not that anyone should care what I think), but since I'm in the boys locker room right now, I'll share a secret:

Men in their late 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's (and I even know a man/skater in his 70's) who are graying, but in shape and skating are the "hottest/sexiest" men on this planet! Beats the young men skating, or any young man at all.

Nothing like mature men, in shape, and on the ice to raise the temperature in the room!

Why am I always in the boys locker room??? :roll:

Oh, and there's nothing like a Pairsman, too! :halo: :P

Team Arthritis
12-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Nothing like mature men, in shape, and on the ice to raise the temperature in the room!

how about us immature but greying lost boys?? http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/e025.gif
Lyle

lovepairs
12-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Team,

When are you and the Mrs. Team going to come aboard the Adult Pair Skating Website? Since you are skating pairs, we'd love to have you on the website!
Email me: acooper19426@earthlink.net

Lovepairs

Figureskates
12-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys...it would be nicer if you could look a little "hotter" for us out there!

I think my days of looking "hot" are long past...I'll settle for room temperature ( and a cold beer!).

lovepairs
12-21-2006, 05:53 AM
Will you guys stop settlin and get your grove back on! After all, there's nothing luckwarm, room temperature, or mediocure about skating. If you wanna settle then take up golf--nothing sexy about that game! Anyway, you made a decision to get on the ice as oppossed to being a couch potatoe for the rest of your life, so you're half way there! Just get the right attire, which this thread is about, pump some iron, have a little confidence about how great you look and feel and get back on the ice!

2SalcOw and Pairsman2 are awsome examples of mature male figure skaters who dress well on the ice, and are totally drop-dead gorgeous! Hey, you should see the abs on Oleg Protopopov, and he's in his 70's! He's absolutely stunning on the ice (I don't want to hear the garbage about he's an Olympian.) He just really works on it, has a positive attitude about it, and never gives up.
To all you mature male figure skaters out there :bow: wish we had more!

Oh, Nova and TimDavid are gorgeous, too, but on the young side still...they have a few more years before the gray comes in and qualifies them for drop-dead gorgeous mature male figure skater status!

Oh, and FigureSkates, you're nothing to sneeze at either...why do you think I was hangin around you up in Lake Placid? You thought it was the "figures!" Ha ha ha ha!

MusicSkateFan
12-21-2006, 06:34 AM
What am I Lovepairs? Chopped liver?:cry: :cry:

Team Arthritis
12-21-2006, 08:33 AM
Lovepairs, you made my day! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/m025.gif

On the other hand I still remember some commercial (for man's cologne??) where this buff grey haired guy takes off his shirt at the pool and all the women sigh longingly and he struts up to the pool and dives in making a big bellyflop, shattering the image. http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/verschiedene/f005.gif

Maybe I should just hang out at the rink and stay off the ice, LOL. Kinda like the snowbunnies we would make fun of when we went skiing. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g010.gif
Lyle

lovepairs
12-21-2006, 06:10 PM
MusicSkate Sweetheart,

I don't even know who you are, so how am I supposed to know if you are chopped liver, or caviar? Send picture please! :P

Arthritis,

You would make my day if you got your lovely pair skating a** on the Adult Pair Skating website. I remember that commercial! It's just a choice--nothing more and nothing less. I'll tell you what Oleg Protopopov told me: He said that he reached a point in his life (past middle age) where he realized that there were just two roads to take. Either the road to the cemetary (where all of his friends were headed), or the road to the ice, where he would find excersize, good eating, and longevity. He LOVES skating with Ludmilia, so he took the road to the ice! It's as simple as a choice :P :!:

Terri C
12-21-2006, 06:55 PM
On the other hand I still remember some commercial (for man's cologne??) where this buff grey haired guy takes off his shirt at the pool and all the women sigh longingly and he struts up to the pool and dives in making a big bellyflop, shattering the image. http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/verschiedene/f005.gif

I think that commercial was actually for some medication (Lipitor or Zocor) used to treat high cholesterol. The message was that some people, no matter good they are with their eating or excercising habits, could still have high cholesterol.

jazzpants
12-21-2006, 07:55 PM
I think that commercial was actually for some medication (Lipitor or Zocor) used to treat high cholesterol. The message was that some people, no matter good they are with their eating or excercising habits, could still have high cholesterol.Hey! That commercial could be ME in real life. 8O 8O 8O (For someone as fit as I am, I am borderline high on the cholestorol levels...THAT SUCKS!!! :evil:)

MSF!!! We want pictures with you in tights!!! WOO HOO!!! Sho' yer booty!!! Shake dat money maker for the camera!!! :P :twisted: (lovepairs: From what pictures I've seen of MSF... he's quite easy on the eyes! Definitely looks physically strong enough to make an excellent pairs guy outta him!!! ;) LOL!!! :twisted: :P :lol: )

LoopLoop
12-21-2006, 09:02 PM
Definitely looks physically strong enough to make an excellent pairs guy outta him!!! ;) LOL!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

MSF is physically strong enough, for sure... he and I can do a very nice off-ice press lift. :halo: But I don't know if he's crazy enough to take up pairs. :twisted:

NoVa Sk8r
12-21-2006, 09:59 PM
MSF is physically strong enough, for sure... he and I can do a very nice off-ice press lift. :halo: But I don't know if he's crazy enough to take up pairs. :twisted:I hope he takes up pairs--I will need someone to pass the Loops torch to! :P :twisted: Keep "pressing" him on the issue. 8-)

Sk8pdx
12-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Will you guys stop settlin and get your grove back on! After all, there's nothing luckwarm, room temperature, or mediocure about skating. If you wanna settle then take up golf--nothing sexy about that game! Anyway, you made a decision to get on the ice as oppossed to being a couch potatoe for the rest of your life, so you're half way there! Just get the right attire, which this thread is about, pump some iron, have a little confidence about how great you look and feel and get back on the ice!

Totally agree! Handsomeness prevails when there are men with toe-picks on ice. I would nearly have to go see my chiropractor every week due to whip-lash! :lol: ... :?? Oooo, how did I end up here? ...never been in the men's locker room before....:halo: :oops: I'm leaving now.....

lovepairs
12-22-2006, 05:28 AM
Music,

What the h*ll are you waiting for???

Sk8pdx,

No, stay...the men's locker room is the place to be! The girl's is way too crowded, so I always change in the men's locker room. The last time I got to see TF's (you have to quess who) lovely skating hinny in the buff!!! My favorite guy in the men's locker room is Eli, who is my hero, because he's still at it!

Hey, everyone...don't you think there should always be a co-ed locker room at competitions for pairs and dance teams? I know they have them at some, but not at all (sometimes there are space limitations.) Hmmm, if there are space limitations, maybe all of the locker rooms should be co-ed, and one for woman who don't wanna mix with the men. Then we'd all have some really decent room for changing (you skating men out there don't really know how impossibly crowded it gets in the girl's locker room; you can hardly turn around.) Anyway, we are all ADULTS (right?) so why not have all locker rooms be co-ed except for one? You guys wouldn't mind if some of us come over to your side, right? Think of it this way...it will be a further insentive to you to get out there and pump more iron! :P

NoVa Sk8r
12-22-2006, 06:13 AM
Actually, I was in the locker room when you, er, invaded it.

And Eli was NOT at all happy about you barging in there like that.

Please make sure you check with all the male competitors.
Just because YOU think you can go wherever you want does not make it correct. >>off soap box<<

Isk8NYC
12-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Hey, everyone...don't you think there should always be a co-ed locker room at competitions for pairs and dance teams? To answer your question, IMO a co-ed locker room is not needed at every comp. More ladies' locker rooms is definitely a stronger need.

As a skating coach, I'm more concerned about inappropriate behavior than you would be because you're an "adult." I have to worry about young children, whose safety is my first concern. I would ask you to leave if I had male students in the men's locker room.

Frankly, you are sounding more and more like a voyeur, not a competitor. I think the men should start looking for hidden cameras when you're around. LOL

Team Arthritis
12-22-2006, 10:01 AM
LovePairs, you crack me up!:twisted:
Unfortunately women changing in my locker room could make my sitspin even more difficult:halo:

BTW when asked who were my favorite skaters were I replied "the Protopopovs" and none of the kids had even heard of them. When I was little, I used to love watching them on TV, now I get to skate too.
Lyle

jazzpants
12-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Hey, everyone...don't you think there should always be a co-ed locker room at competitions for pairs and dance teams? I know they have them at some, but not at all (sometimes there are space limitations.) Hmmm, if there are space limitations, maybe all of the locker rooms should be co-ed, and one for woman who don't wanna mix with the men. Then we'd all have some really decent room for changing (you skating men out there don't really know how impossibly crowded it gets in the girl's locker room; you can hardly turn around.) Anyway, we are all ADULTS (right?) so why not have all locker rooms be co-ed except for one? You guys wouldn't mind if some of us come over to your side, right? Think of it this way...it will be a further insentive to you to get out there and pump more iron! :PI don't know. We may all be adults here, but I'm sure there are more than a few guys out there (besides Eli or NoVa) that would like keeping a certain amount of modesty and privacy. *ahem* 8O :oops: (I certainly expect the same extended to me if the situation were reversed...)

I'm all for an extra changing room (or 5) for us ladies though. :twisted: I agree it's way too crowded!!! I avoid this sitation so far by being in my skating clothes and wear my skating club warm up suit (with zip away pants) over the dress and tights before I leave for the competition rink. (I don't want to pull my custom dress over my "maded up" face anyway!) The dressing room then comes nothing more than 1) a place for me to put on my skates and 2) a place to store my stuff while I'm competing. :P

That said... this reminds me of when I was in the ladies dressing room getting my skates on with a couple of women who were changing their clothes. My primary coach knocked on the outside and asked if I was "decent." I was, but before I had a chance to answer the other women already yelled out "Jay, c'mon in already! You're ONE OF US!!!" :twisted: :lol: :P He still wouldn't go in though until I yelled that it was okay to come in.

lovepairs
12-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Since when are young boys at Adult Competitions? Besides, the adults and kids share locker rooms all over the country. We share with the kids at two rinks we skate at, one of which has Jonny Weir in it, and they are both co-ed and we all get along and no one has problems. In fact, management at both rinks put us in these locker rooms.

Eli and I happen to be friends and he knows I'm a great fan of his, and I asked him if it was okay if I was in the locker room, and he said it was "okay." So, unless he tells me differently, I'll assume he has no problems with me being in there. If all the men don't want me in their locker room then just tell me and I'll leave. I, on the other hand, have no problem with any man, or woman coming into the space I'm changing in for a competition. I consider myself an Adult and can handle such innocuous things.

You know what's wrong with this chat space, and has been wrong with it ever since I've been in it: any time anyone is having just the smallest bit of fun, or laughing on these threads, there is always someone there to take the fun out of it. Thanks Nova, and thanks IS8NYC for your really great sense of humor and playfulness--much appreciated!

rlichtefeld
12-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Getting this back on topic a bit:
I wear LL Bean men's running tights. I order them one size too big, cause I'm sort of modest. The cuffs have zippers and rubber non-slip areas so that they stay over my boots. And they have pockets to hold handkerchiefs, gloves, lip balm, etc.

As to ladies coming into the men's locker room: it can be a bit un-nerving the first few times. Actually at the 2002 AN, Jay brought several of his admirers into the locker room just as I was changing. No one asked if it was OK, they just came in.

But, in Europe things are much different. Most locker rooms are co-ed, as Europeans don't have the same hangs up that we in North America do.

Rob

pairman2
12-22-2006, 06:33 PM
I like taking the approach that Rob stated, in more ways then one.

More on menswear, (or any ice wear). Synthetics made to wick moisture are an absolute essential on the ice. If you can't stay dry, you'll never stay warm. I happen to like almost everything made by Nike. A lot of the Under Armor stuff feels a little clammy to me. Some wicking fabrics are made to wick and also cool, others to wick and warm. Quite frankly, it's hard to tell unless you try it because much of it isn't labled for either.

Also back to the locker room discussion. [ Please step into the conceptual room with me for a moment] Yes, the European's have something different going on and I think they're much more mature about it at least on this subject. The coed thing is not so much about privacy and consent [although these are important], as it is about accepting your body image. It's an internal battle. Anyone who's ever been involved with 'naturism', (nudist resorts or beaches) would understand that the body isn't a digusting thing, and in that context, it has nothing to do with what is commonly accepted as 'beauiful bodies'. It's about accepting who and what you are and how you maintain it. If that self image is flawed, that equals shame. It's curious that the mens locker room should all a sudden become such a modest hideout. I think any man that has ever gone to a strip club, looked at porn or otherwise gazed on fm nudty, public or private, would be pretty hipocritical to draw the line when there own male nudity is involved. I can't imagine that there are too many 'innocent' ones here. The ice of all places is a venue that celebrates the beauty and genius of very exposed bodies, nearly nude in fact, particularly for some of the women, and this ironically in a very cold place where 'function' would dictate that everyone should be wearing more clothes. Outfits are unusally designed to show off maximum body surface, muscle functions and line. These things are certainly worthy of discussion and are applicable to how we view our body and allow others to view it as well.

sunjoy
12-22-2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I actually did find some nice tights in the women's section at a sporting goods store, but as was mentioned, the problem is that the crotch seems to be cut for a woman and that makes it bunch up on me. Maybe I can find some kind of shorts to wear over, without looking too much like a hockey player.

I do wear pants sometimes (neither my spirals nor ballet jumps come anywhere near making this a danger yet)! But somehow I'd like something that says "sporty" rather than "elegant" or "overdressed".

Lots to look at given your suggestions though.

Locker-rooms: pro-athletes have women reporters come-in all the time (do men go into womens locker-rooms I wonder?). It wouldn't be an issue if you don't make it one. But with kids around, mixed-age competitions, and mixed-use facilities where freestyles and hockey go on simultaneously on different rinks, it's a different thing.

As for guys looking hot on the ice -- it's all in the skating. Good skaters, whatever they might be wearing, or however they may look physically, just make an exquisite impression when they're on the ice. Now the good news here is that as age may slowly take away from sheer physical pulchritude, for many of us who took up skating as adult, skill will improve, and at a faster rate!

Terri C
12-22-2006, 07:10 PM
I don't know. We may all be adults here, but I'm sure there are more than a few guys out there (besides Eli or NoVa) that would like keeping a certain amount of modesty and privacy. *ahem* 8O :oops: (I certainly expect the same extended to me if the situation were reversed...)

In addition to that, what about considering the feelings of skater's significant others? I'm sure, acutally positive that skating "spouses" or significant others would be very uncomfortable if they heard "their other half" was sharing a locker room with a member of the opposite sex.

lovepairs
12-22-2006, 07:38 PM
You know what. It's not about nudity, or voyuerism, which, by the way, was a very extreme and insulting insinuation, because it's so cold that I don't think I've ever seen anyone totally naked in a locker room (men, women, or kids for that matter.) People tend to change in layers and parts. But that's not even the point. The point is that there is something really suspiscious going on in this forum: anytime a topic gets either really "fun," "interesting," or "complicated" it gets shut down in one way, or another.

Having said that, let me tell you the truth. I'm simply more comfortable around the men then I am around the woman when I'm getting ready to compete, and prefere the men's locker room. There is a "calm" and "steadiness" in the men's locker room that really helps me relax and get my competitive nerves together, plus it's important for me to be with my partner right before we go on. In contrast, the woman's locker room has this franetic buzz going on that's like white noise, and it's very hard for me to consentrate and relax when I'm in there. I'm better to be around men right before taking the ice.

Okay, I think I'll check out the nudist beach this summer. I wouldn't mind being in a place where I can feel really good about my body without having to be Heidi Klum, and be really warm (for a change.) Wouldn't it be nice, I mean really nice, if we could all feel really great about our bodies without all that garbage that the media throws at us about what a "perfect" body for both men and women should look like. Maybe the Europeans know something we don't know.

Casey
12-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Wouldn't it be nice, I mean really nice, if we could all feel really great about our bodies without all that garbage that the media throws at us about what a "perfect" body for both men and women should look like.
Here here! When it really comes down to it, nobody's "perfect" and everyone's preferences varies. I really hate that so many people are constantly in a depressed and broke rut because they buy into the media telling them they need to buy buy buy 13092590328 products to try to look like something else. Individuality is fought so hard. Anything one does that's not mainstream (and even much of what is) is constantly questioned and put down and it's just so disgusting. People just need to figure out who they are, be themselves, and be happy. Nothing matters except what you think of yourself.

Maybe the Europeans know something we don't know.
Well some things may be more commonly accepted in Europe but it's still not the norm there. The rest of the world is becoming more and more Americanized as time goes on too...

I wonder sometimes when/if the world will magically become a sane place where everyone is content with who they are.

jazzpants
12-22-2006, 11:25 PM
You know what. It's not about nudity, or voyuerismI know what you mean. It's just some people are more of the European point of view and they're more comfortable with being open with nudity! All I'm saying is that in my case, if the situation were reversed and the men don't have enough locker rooms and needed to change in the women's locker room, I *personally* would not feel comfortable sharing a locker room with a man b/c all the men's locker rooms are filled and would prefer they respect my privacy and letting me keeping some sense of modesty for me. But I know some that don't really care about ummm.... "letting it all hang out!!!" It's ALL about respecting one's personal space when all is said and done.

Actually at the 2002 AN, Jay brought several of his admirers into the locker room just as I was changing. No one asked if it was OK, they just came in.WOW!!! That is weird! I guess he was very distracted or something... 8O

In addition to that, what about considering the feelings of skater's significant others? I'm sure, acutally positive that skating "spouses" or significant others would be very uncomfortable if they heard "their other half" was sharing a locker room with a member of the opposite sex.
I've talked to my "better half" about it. He said "Mmmmm... NOT a good idea!!!" with this look that tells 'ya he strongly disapproves of it but is trying to be nice about it. (And I know that look to know to "abandon all thoughts of the idea" when I get that look...) :P :lol:

Last but not least...
And Eli was NOT at all happy about you barging in there like that.

Eli and I happen to be friends and he knows I'm a great fan of his, and I asked him if it was okay if I was in the locker room, and he said it was "okay."

Hmmmm? Something is NOT quite right about it. :twisted:

lovepairs
12-23-2006, 05:33 AM
Jazz,

The only thing that's not quit right with it is in your head. I've always been a big fan of Eli's, and am the one clapping the loudest at the end of his performances, because he's what it's about, which is "never giving up!" About what Nova said: that day in Ashburn, I went in the men's locker room, asked Eli if it was okay if I was in there, he said, "yes," so I stayed. I had a nice conversation with him, and zipped him up. So, I provided a dual function--friendship and seamstress!

I'll be emailing Tim Fisher this afternoon, asking him if it is possible to provide a co-ed locker room for Dance and Pair Teams and whom ever else would like to join the teams for a calm changing environment at the New Year's Invitational. I will be working alongside Andrea Rea on the 2007 Halloween Classic and make sure that a Co-ed locker room is provided there, too. Usually, at Nationals they do have a changing room for the teams, but I'll email Les Ascher, too, to make sure that one is available in Chicago.

russiet
12-23-2006, 06:45 AM
I like taking the approach that Rob stated, in more ways then one.

More on menswear, (or any ice wear). Synthetics made to wick moisture are an absolute essential on the ice. If you can't stay dry, you'll never stay warm. I happen to like almost everything made by Nike. A lot of the Under Armor stuff feels a little clammy to me. Some wicking fabrics are made to wick and also cool, others to wick and warm....

Wick and warm, very correct. At the risk of being overly repetitious, look no farther than cross country ski pants. SportHill makes very warm pants made of a stretchy fabric that is not too conforming. The inside of the fabric is like chamois (sp?). The legs have long zippers at the bottom and are meant to go over x-c ski boots. They work great over skate boots as well. I have considered adding a velcro stirrup to go outside and under the boot, but it just hasn't been necessary.

Let me find you a link. here's the home page:
http://www.sporthill.com/productentry.htm

Here are the pants I'm talking about:
http://www.sporthill.com/product.php?TypeID=2100&gender=m From here you can link right to LL Bean where they sell them for $89.00

Pockets are zippered and the material inside the pocket is black.

On top a long sleeved T-shirt covered with a Fitness Fleece Quarter Zip by LL Bean completes an extremely comfortable skating outfit for practice.
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=44914&sc1=Search&feat=sr
If I begin to overheat, I take off the fitness fleece and wear just the T-shirt. I've been known to use poloshirts in warmer weather.

If I performed, I'd use the next lighter-weight X-C pant and whatever on top.

As for co-ed in the locker room, my wife would not approve. I do skate with a number of women and sharing a locker room with any of them wouldn't be an issue for me, but it wouild not make my home life pleasant.

And, as a general comment along the lines of Lovepairs observations, women who are figure skaters always make the room a lot warmer for me.

LoopLoop
12-23-2006, 07:30 AM
I've never found the women's dressing rooms to have any kind of overbearing atmosphere; it's usually very friendly with people who haven't seen each other for a while reconnecting. And there's always someone to zip up anyone who needs it, to help with a hair problem, whatever the issue... but I usually go in there *just* to change, I don't spend hours in there.

Even though I'm part of a pair team, I wouldn't use a coed dressing room.

NoVa Sk8r
12-23-2006, 09:02 AM
The only thing that's not quit right with it is in your head. I've always been a big fan of Eli's, and am the one clapping the loudest at the end of his performances, because he's what it's about, which is "never giving up!" About what Nova said: that day in Ashburn, I went in the men's locker room, asked Eli if it was okay if I was in there, he said, "yes," so I stayed. I had a nice conversation with him, and zipped him up. So, I provided a dual function--friendship and seamstress! No one was questioning your zeal for ELi. I've known him for 5 years and have competed against him and he is one super guy.
However, you were asked *several* times to leave the locker, yet you brushed it off and refused to leave. I think it's great that you feel like everyone is beautiful and that modesty and shame and the "fig leaf" psychosocial response is Victorian and antedeluvian and outdated, but that is only your feeling.

I can understand that if Eli or others were being polite, you might get the impression that your behavior was OK. But there were other people who were NOT OK with you being here and felt uncomfortable. I was in there before you came in, while you were in there, AND after you left. Trust me, the sentiments were not jolly.

I would hope that you would respect some people's desire for modesty.
I'm not sure what European countries you've been to, but mixed nudity is not the norm in all of Europe. (Perhaps Mrs Redboots and 2loop2loop can weigh in here.)
In a gym, a locker room, park, wherever there are changing rooms in the U.S., there are separate facilities for changing. Why do you think this is? Like it or not, ths is the norm in the country. Not everyone feels this way, but it is the social rule. So you shouldn't be surprised when you break this social norm and get a negative reaction.

I understand you don't have any salacious intentions (at least I hope not) but your behavior made some people feel uncomfortable when you broke the social rules. AND that is not fair to some people right before they compete who are already nervous to begin with.

Skate@Delaware
12-23-2006, 09:47 AM
I am waiting for hubby to lose a few more pounds (and shrink his waist a bit more) before I make him another pair of pants (or two) but for now the ones I made are working well, as well as the ones bought from Walmart. I did take in the legs on those (they were HUGE!!!) and it presents a cleaner slimmer line.

Now I just need him to think layers....he wears 2 sweaters and gets so hot sweat just runs down his face! I am trying to get him to think base layer is a snug t-shirt type, like a coolmax shirt; on top of that a long sleeved tee, then a fleece that he can ditch once he warms up. He is balking-I might have to make his sweaters "disappear" before too long!!!!!

I'm also trying to convince him to try skating barefoot....he can't seem to find the right socks/stockings that work.....

Why are men so stubborn?

ps-he would HATE it and make my life difficult if he found out I was using a co-ed locker room!!! Even at my rink (we only have one boy that skates and he is 17 but I would not want to change in front of him) I would not want to change in front of the men.

jazzpants
12-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Jazz,

The only thing that's not quit right with it is in your head.Hey! I'm just the Peanut Gallery watching what's going on and reading this like the rest of the board. http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/konfus/c045.gif If I'm reading from one person that Eli says it's okay to go into the Men's Locker Room and another person who happens to be there says that Eli says that it's not, then ONE of you got the wrong impression of Eli. (And BTW: I'm not pointing fingers at you or NoVa... Hey! I'm just stating the obvious!!!)

Can anyone get Eli on here to settle this one? :lol: :P (Yeah, didn't think so here either...) :roll:

2salch0w
12-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Well, I personally wouldn't care about women in the locker room, assuming it is a "good body" day. :) They'd see no more than if they saw me at the pool. But I suppose if I needed to get totally naked (for some reason), then that would be somewhat uncomfortable. Not saying how things should or shouldn't be ...

But the other way around, men in the ladies locker room, seems like more of a problem, what with breasts flying around and all. LOL

When you think about the whole concept of locker rooms, there is a big flaw. The whole thing is predicated on the idea that those of the same gender can see one another undressed, without the complication of sexual interest. It assumes that a man can see another guy undressed and that's OK because he wouldn't "care", but for a woman, that'd be obscene. And vice versa. Homosexuality is totally overlooked, and it really complicates things from a practical standpoint.

Does a gay man use the ladies locker room, because he doesn't see them "that way"? No, most of them will see HIM "that way". There really is no solution.

And before anyone reads anything into this post that isn't there, I am certainly NOT suggesting to kick the gay guys out of the locker room. The current system is probably the best we have, and it doesn't bother me who is in my locker room at all (except for those Republicans, please keep them away.) I'm just posing the question - what's the difference between a lady and a gay gentleman in the men's locker room?

Tim

Terri C
12-23-2006, 01:03 PM
The only thing that's not quit right with it is in your head.

Is this the pot calling the kettle black or what!?

I'll be emailing Tim Fisher this afternoon, asking him if it is possible to provide a co-ed locker room for Dance and Pair Teams and whom ever else would like to join the teams for a calm changing environment at the New Year's Invitational. I will be working alongside Andrea Rea on the 2007 Halloween Classic and make sure that a Co-ed locker room is provided there, too. Usually, at Nationals they do have a changing room for the teams, but I'll email Les Ascher, too, to make sure that one is available in Chicago.

Hate to tell you this, but not only will several fellow competitors obejct over this, but I have a strong feeling that the higher ups at USFS would not be happy with that arrangement, either!

sunjoy
12-23-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm also trying to convince him to try skating barefoot....he can't seem to find the right socks/stockings that work.....

Why are men so stubborn?The saleswoman at my skateshop suggested skating barefoot. I asked around at Sashafans (mostly younger skaters) and they thought the idea was wierd (unless wearing tights).

Reidell points out that perspiration is a major component of boot wear: http://www.riedellskates.com/fit/care.html Socks help with that (and odor of course).

As for the right sock to wear, well many speedskaters generally like to go barefoot, and some of those who wear socks say that cycling socks give a good feel for the skate. They are cut too low though. There are some speedskating socks (haven't tried them myself), that are thin and moisture-wicking like cycling socks but seem to be cut high enough even for a figure-boot: http://www.gatorbackskate.com/sock.php

russiet
12-23-2006, 04:58 PM
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=256249#post256249

I still like them. They are very thin, and wick moisture quite well.

2loop2loop
12-23-2006, 06:05 PM
My 0.02,

It certainly isn't my experience that most locker rooms in Europe are co-ed, I don't think I've ever come across even one that was - there is always a separate private area for changing. I've never ever encountered men and women changing their clothes in the same space! At the Mountain Cup there is one female skater in particular who always seems to be in the men's locker room, but that is not the same thing!

However comfortable one may feel about sharing locker rooms, there is no way of knowing that everyone else is going to feel the same way. I don't think it's fair to put people in a position where they feel uncomfortable - either by having to change with someone of the opposite sex in the room, or by being forced to ask that person to leave. Even asking if people are ok with it doesn't cut it because some people would feel awkward saying no. People have enough to deal with at competitions already.

Speaking as a "liberated" European - I am not comfortable at the Mountain Cup when that skater is always hanging out in the men's locker room and I know that many of the other skaters feel the same way. The idea that Europeans are all happy to flaunt their bodies in front of anybody is false. Even in Scandinavian and Eastern European countries where saunas are popular, men and women are always segregated when there is nudity involved. I also don't think that the nudist beach comparison is a valid one. I've been on a nude beach (once!), but the timing and circumstances were all of my choosing - that's a long way from being comfortable showing my body to whoever, whenever.

John

Mrs Redboots
12-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Hey, everyone...don't you think there should always be a co-ed locker room at competitions for pairs and dance teams? Er, in a word, no! I like to change in decent privacy, although it would be nice if there was a space between the two (as at the Mountain Cup) where Husband could come to do you up at the back or you could make sure his bow-tie was on straight....

At the Bracknell Adult Open there is a women's changing room, a men's changing room and an open space where a lot of people do change, which is, of course, mixed-sex. Some folk are happy changing there, but those who need to change their underneaths as well (not just women - some men prefer to wear an athletic support on the ice) prefer to change in private. Mind you, one man got horribly stroppy when I, and another skater, chucked him out of the women's changing room: "Nobody has ever objected!" but we said that we did, and please use the men's room or the open space.

Some rinks don't provide changing-rooms for recreational competitions - you have to either be discreet or use the loos.

And the men's rooms aren't always havens of calm! At Bristol last year there was a sudden very loud burst of laughter from the men's room - caused by all the male partners discovering they were all, every one of them, wearing a black shirt!

kateskate
12-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Limited space means at our rink we have only one changing room which double as the teachers room too and its advisable to knock as many people have caught people unawares. There is a lock on the inside thankfully. I have to say I feel uncomfortable when some of the male teachers or skaters change in front of everyone. I only ever change in there if its late and there is noone else at the rink likely to need the room and if I can lock the door. Easier for everyone. Although I do think its harsh that the teacher have to share their room with us.

Mrs Redboots
12-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Limited space means at our rink we have only one changing room which double as the teachers room too and its advisable to knock as many people have caught people unawares. There is a lock on the inside thankfully. I have to say I feel uncomfortable when some of the male teachers or skaters change in front of everyone. I only ever change in there if its late and there is noone else at the rink likely to need the room and if I can lock the door. Easier for everyone. Although I do think its harsh that the teacher have to share their room with us.Your rink was one of the ones I was thinking of (Gillingham is the other) where at RIDL matches you change in the loo or at rinkside - or perhaps, at your rink, in the cafe since last time I was at your rink there was nowhere to sit down at rinkside and everybody put their skates on in the caff.

kateskate
12-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Your rink was one of the ones I was thinking of (Gillingham is the other) where at RIDL matches you change in the loo or at rinkside - or perhaps, at your rink, in the cafe since last time I was at your rink there was nowhere to sit down at rinkside and everybody put their skates on in the caff.

Yep people put there skates on in the cafe and change in the loos since only members are allowed in the changing room and its usually packed anyways. Some people change my the lockers near the changing rooms. I usually change in the loos too since eventhough I'm a member its just easier as the changing room is small and usually busy.

Team Arthritis
12-27-2006, 12:03 PM
our rink has lots of changing rooms, but of course these are only for Hockey Players!http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/mad0214.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)
Consequently, most days ther is a long line for the handicap stall and when we do "get" to use the rooms for competitions they often stink and have 1/2 of water on the floor. However, they do let me ue the "ref" room to shower after early AM skates.http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/sports/iceskate.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)
Lyle

FrankR
12-27-2006, 12:45 PM
I have never been comfortable using locker rooms at any of the rinks I've skated at, including my home rink. It's nothing to do with the locker rooms or the people. I just really prefer my privacy. I guess I'm just really conservative and a bit insecure that way. :lol: When I skate at home, I leave the house with my skating clothes on and change in a stall in the mens' room to get into my work clothes when I'm done. When I compete, I do the same thing. I leave the hotel in full costume with a warm-up or jacket over the top and when I'm done, I change in a stall in the mens' room. I do like the idea of the set-up that Annabel mentioned with a mens' locker room on one side, a ladies' locker room on the other and an open space in between. I'm not sure if I've ever seen that here in the States.

Regarding the original topic of the thread, I use GK Elite, Onward Online and Mondor for skating pants. When I practice I tend to dress in layers on top. I usually do a t-shirt, a turtleneck or tight fitting sweater, and a couple of warm-up jackets and just remove layers as I get warmer although I seldom get warm enough to leave just the t-shirt.

slusher
12-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Most of the boys and men around here wear the male pants from Blue Skys. They're custom made and are worth the price more than Mondor.

For those that sew, the man's pant pattern from Jalie is quite a good fit, more European with the lower waist and the legs and bum are cut nicely. www.jalie.com

Hijacking the thread a little more, what really bugs me in both figure skating and hockey is people using the communal toilet in the change room. I don't really want to hear all those details, thank you very much 8O

Team Arthritis
12-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Most of the boys and men around here wear the male pants from Blue Skys. They're custom made and are worth the price more than Mondor.

PLease help me, I can't find a link or google a site for Blue Sky
Thanks
Lyle
P.S. I don;t like changing in the restroom eather but we are not given any choice

mikawendy
12-28-2006, 12:23 PM
PLease help me, I can't find a link or google a site for Blue Sky
Thanks
Lyle
P.S. I don;t like changing in the restroom eather but we are not given any choice

Blue Skys web site (http://www.blueskys.com/)