View Full Version : MK Professional or MK Vision?

looplover
12-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Time for new blades...I've had Professional blades for a long time and I know they are good ones, but I noticed that the Vision blades have a larger toe pick. I really have trouble with toe jumps; I feel like when I pick in I can't really pull back on the pick, and it kind of seems like a larger toe pick would help me feel more secure on them. I'm not sure if that's all in my mind though. What do you guys think?

techskater
12-17-2006, 08:06 PM
What are you working on? Many people at the Bronze/Silver level are in Visions

looplover
12-18-2006, 05:24 AM
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that. I would be at bronze level but I'm staying in ISI until I have an axel (I think, it's just cheaper)...so I need to get my flip consistent, am learning a lutz, have a consistent loop, salchow, toe loop. Hate to spend the money on Visions but if it's worth it it's worth it, I have major AOSS and will just not buy clothes :)

miraclegro
12-18-2006, 05:28 PM
I am working on adult Gold MIF, and Adult Silver freestyle and i have MK Pros, and have had them for years. I don't want to be tripping over a larger toepick. Never saw the need to spend any more money. I have a brand new pair i put on an old pair of boots, and when the current MK pros wear down (they will soon) i will put the new ones on my current boots and skate all the way through Adult Gold. I'd rather have a great boot and a reliable blade.

That's just my 2 cents worth.

doubletoe
12-18-2006, 06:15 PM
I never had any trouble with my Professionals on toe jumps, even though the ones I had were the old model that actually had a smaller toepick than the current ones. I wonder if it might be a matter of picking technique (i.e., not getting enough weight onto the toe, not pointing hard enough or not having the foot pointed straight down to the ice when you pick)?

looplover
12-18-2006, 06:31 PM
It probably is technique, but also thanks for mentioning the toe pick is bigger on the current model...I have REALLY old professional blades right now, bought them in 1994! (I didn't skate for a long time) So I'll save the money and get them again...and learn correct technique

flippet
12-19-2006, 12:03 PM
I switched from Pros to Visions (got new boots and the Pros wouldn't fit), and I LOVE my Visions. It has less to do with the pick than with the rocker, though. I feel that the Visions really improved my spins, and they felt so much faster than the Pros. The Pros are a great 'serious beginner' blade, and they last for a while, level-wise, so I can't say a thing that's bad about them, but I personally simply love my Visions more. The bigger pick isn't hard to get used to.

doubletoe
12-19-2006, 03:25 PM
It probably is technique, but also thanks for mentioning the toe pick is bigger on the current model...I have REALLY old professional blades right now, bought them in 1994! (I didn't skate for a long time) So I'll save the money and get them again...and learn correct technique

Yes, that's about when I bought my old Professionals, too! The toepick is definitely bigger now. Actually, I have since switched to the MK Gold Star (their top-of-the-line model) and the pick looks almost exactly the same as the Professional. The difference between the Gold Star and the Professional is in the side-honing and tapering of the blade, and the difference between the Vision and the Professional is the shape and size of the toepick. The toepick on the Vision is bigger but it's straight-cut, not cross-cut. I haven't tested this theory, but I've always gone with a cross-cut pick because I figure it would grip better even if my toe goes into the ice at a bit of an angle rather than pointed straight down.
Regardless of which blade you get, all of the MK's have the same rocker (7' radius) and you will find your spins better when you get new ones (well, after the initial adjustment) because you will have a nice round rocker again. After a number of sharpenings, blades tend to flatten a little behind the toepicks, making them harder to spin on.

russiet
12-20-2006, 05:54 AM
I use MK Pros & I noticed that the cross-cuts on mine & those I have seen on friends skates aren't ground into the metal symetrically. Not on purpose by the look of it.

In effect, the points on one side are higher than the points on the other. I think it's a manufacturing issue that they let slide (pun).

I haven't noticed any problem on ice.

I do think that all blades are way overpriced for what they represent. The profit margin has to be huge.