View Full Version : Armbands and mp3 players

sue123
12-17-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm considering getting myself an armband for my mp3 player so I could listen to my music when I skate. I'm pretty lucky that if i'm not working, I get to go to empty public sessions, and they don't always have music playing. Has anyone tried this before? Is it comfortable? If I fall, will it be safe if it's on my arm? I can't remember ever falling on my upper arm.

I won't use it when it's crowded, but sometimes I'm the only one on the ice, I would have to try pretty hard to run into myself, but then again, you never know :??

TaBalie
12-17-2006, 04:42 PM
I got an arm band for my ipod shuffle, but I don't like it. I much prefer the little lanyard it came with -- it hangs between two layers (like undershirt and tshirt) so it doesn't swing around when I spin. Hope this helps!

TreSk8sAZ
12-17-2006, 05:21 PM
I love my armband for my iPod nano. It fits comfortably and I wear it high enough that it doesn't hit the ice when I fall. The only thing I don't like is the cord for the earbuds flying in my face on spins and stuff. But other than that, it's great!

Rusty Blades
12-17-2006, 06:51 PM
The pockets of my practice vest are zippered so I put my iPod in my pocket and run the wire up the inside of my vest. Since the pockets are on the sides, well above my hip, I figure there isn't much chance of squishing my expensive iPod.

I usually wear a headband for warmth and only use one "ear bud" so it's pretty inconspicuous. If somebody notices, I just tell them I am with Her Majesty's security staff 8O

Skate@Delaware
12-17-2006, 08:03 PM
I tried the armband but didn't like it. I use the beltclip instead and the headphone wire runs under my jacket.

TashaKat
12-18-2006, 12:29 AM
You can get neoprene mobile phone arm/leg bands which are very good and very comfortable. They tend to be made for horsey people to wear when they're riding or around the yard.

I'll try and find a piccie .... they give slightly more protection than the ipod armbands too!

http://www.rideaway.co.uk/catimages/GWMOB.jpg

and here's the link:

http://www.rideaway.co.uk/index2.php3?sessionid=0a4ef4fe6e80e4b82c2336bd3b9d 73b1&page=showprod&catcode1=GW&catcode2=MOB

sk8_4fun
12-18-2006, 04:02 AM
anything that requires headphones of any kind is banned at our rink, even if the ice is empty. :cry:

sue123
12-18-2006, 08:27 AM
Tashakat, that's a good idea for the neoprene armband for cell phone. I'll have to see if I can find one that will fit my mp3 player. I probably won't go back ot the rink until after New Year's, so I have some time to find something.

Isk8NYC
12-18-2006, 10:40 AM
I saw hats with built-in mini speakers this year. The store only had kiddie sizes, so I couldn't give the hat a whirl, but it seemed like a good idea.

Five Below sells a cheapo ($5) mini-speaker that plugs into the headphone jack. I use it when I'm running through a program with a student. (Lets both of us hear the music.) Much lighter than a boom box, but it uses a lot of batteries. I just switched over to rechargeables for this speaker.

Mrs Redboots
12-18-2006, 10:46 AM
You could always knit a holder.... now that's an idea. Oddly enough, I didn't know that you could get armbands for them until last week - mine hangs round my neck, usually between the two layers I'm wearing.

sue123
12-18-2006, 11:37 AM
You could always knit a holder.... now that's an idea. Oddly enough, I didn't know that you could get armbands for them until last week - mine hangs round my neck, usually between the two layers I'm wearing.

Heh, me and knitting, no that will never work. I tried to knit a scarf, and lets just say, it didn't look much like a scarf. It was all wavy adn not very straight. Besides, I would be afraid with something that was knit that it might stretch and slip and slide off. I've seen the armbands with elastic that goes around your arm, which is what I would probably get.

Mrs Redboots
12-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Heh, me and knitting, no that will never work. I tried to knit a scarf, and lets just say, it didn't look much like a scarf. It was all wavy adn not very straight. Besides, I would be afraid with something that was knit that it might stretch and slip and slide off. I've seen the armbands with elastic that goes around your arm, which is what I would probably get.Yes, you'd have to elasticate the strap, whether or not you knitted it, but a little holder could be made very easily, probably crochet rather than knit.... hmmm..... I have a pattern for an iPod cover, but that involves sheets of vinyl, which is a bit awkward of it as I'm not sure what to get or where to get it, but it could be adapted for an ordinary MP3.... hmmmm..... wanders away, thinking about it.

Isk8NYC
12-18-2006, 01:15 PM
I have a pattern for an iPod cover, but that involves sheets of vinyl, which is a bit awkward of it as I'm not sure what to get or where to get it, but it could be adapted for an ordinary MP3.... *whispers* Clear vinyl table covering from the craft/fabric store. Or, just cut up a vinyl shower curtain.

I've purchased pretty much everything for my iPod at FiveBelow because, well everything's $5 or less. If I'm unhappy with something, I didn't blow a wad of money. I bought a cute flip-front leather case, but it didn't have any protection for the screen/buttons once I flipped it open, so I added a rectangle of clear plastic film. The office supply store sells screen protectors for PDA's and such, but I just used clear window-sticker print stock I had on hand from our "Ohio or Bust!" vacation.

Mrs Redboots
12-18-2006, 01:17 PM
*whispers* Clear vinyl table covering from the craft/fabric store. Or, just cut up a vinyl shower curtain.Thank you!

mikawendy
12-18-2006, 09:12 PM
If you have a really really small MP3 player that you're thinking of wearing around your arm, I'd be tempted to wear it on the inside of my arm, close to the armpit. It sounds crazy, but I've had some bad footwork and moves falls (esp. the 8 step) where I've fallen sorta backwards and sideways and I think my upper arm has taken a blow.... But I've never hit the inside of my arm or my armpit on the ice. (Though I guess there's always a first time for everything, right? 8O :lol: )

lov2sk8
12-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Ipods are a danger on the ice unless you are alone!

lov2sk8
12-18-2006, 09:31 PM
I nearly saw an Olymic gold medalist get slammed on the ice by someone listening to an ipod.

sue123
12-18-2006, 09:46 PM

Well that's why I said I would use it when I was alone on the ice. And it's happened often enough that I am thinking about it. I don't see a problem with using it when I'm alone.

lov2sk8
12-18-2006, 09:54 PM
I agree i have also used an ipod if i am alone on the ice,i just want to be clear about it being a danger around other skaters on the ice.

lov2sk8
12-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Even if it is only two or three skaters

Casey
12-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Only if you're reckless. And some people are a danger on the ice, period. I wear an iPod every time I skate unless I'm working on pairs, with noise cancelling earbuds, in both ears, loud enough that I can't hear anything else, on both freestyle and crowded public sessions.

But it's never a problem, because I am aware of my surroundings and especially what's in my direction of travel at all times. Some people can't multitask well enough to manage it. Some can.

lov2sk8
12-18-2006, 10:25 PM
I often skate high test sesions and the skaters are flying around everywhere. Being able to see in front of you is not enough to be completly
aware of your surroundings. You will have no idea weather or not a skater is comming up right behind you. Low test skaters are even less aware of others on the ice and are not as carefull to stay out of your way and predict where your going.. It is basically an accident waiting to happen.

Casey
12-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Being able to see in front of you is not enough to be completly aware of your surroundings.
I didn't say it was. You have to know where everyone is. You can't just stare directly ahead and hope for the best. :P

It is basically an accident waiting to happen.
Skating at all is an accident waiting to happen. Accidents happen sometimes, no matter what. Just have to be responsible. I've been listening to my own music for the better part of a year with no accidents. The last time I had an accident I wasn't wearing an iPod - somebody else (who also wasn't) decided to skate into my spin... :P

NoVa Sk8r
12-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Ipods are a danger on the ice unless you are alone!I totally agree. I wish people wouldn't use iPods, CD players, or tape players (long live the Walk-Man, or Skate-Man?) ever on the ice. I've seen too many clueless people (mostly on public sessions) using these, getting in many "close ones" and several accidents. Not to mention the geniuses wo cannot skate and then attempt to play with the machine, have it fall, and have batteries roll on the ice or have the said item fall and break.

Skating has too many dangers without people compounding the problem.
And having people use these devices while you are practicing pair elements--let's see how THAT changes your perspective!

Casey
12-19-2006, 12:52 AM
I've seen too many clueless people
"Clueless" is the key word here, not "iPod" (which I might add doesn't have any removable batteries or other parts).

And having people use these devices while you are practicing pair elements--let's see how THAT changes your perspective!
I skate on the same ice as pairs skaters and we are on friendly terms, perhaps because I never get in anyone's way (I'm not clueless)? I have more issues with dancers but it has nothing at all to do with whether or not I'm listening to my own music - it's simply that the higher level dancers tend to take up rather a lot more ice than pairs skaters since the dances use the entire ice and that's what they tend to practice most. I don't hesitate to skate fairly close at times once I know their patterns, and that gets some dirty looks, without any earphones at all. ;)

Oh, I found this neat advertising picture for some bluetooth wireless headphones for the iPod :P :lol:
http://www.ipresents.co.uk/i/stuff/bluetooth-headphone.jpg

I don't like the armbands though - I use one of these: http://www.goincase.com/wp-content/themes/bandaid-thumbs/neoprene-nano-sleeves.jpg

Which clips quite securely to the waist, and fastens shut completely encasing the iPod so it's safe even if you fall directly on it like I did the other day... :P Then run the wire up my shirt so even if an earbud falls out it's only 5 inches from my face. :)

Ever the antagonist,

sue123
12-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Which clips quite securely to the waist, and fastens shut completely encasing the iPod so it's safe even if you fall directly on it like I did the other day... :P Then run the wire up my shirt so even if an earbud falls out it's only 5 inches from my face. :)

Ever the antagonist,

I don't like the waist clips. I've tried them when I was running, and I kept feeling like my shorts were going to fall down, or that it would slip out. Waist clips definitly do not work for me.