View Full Version : Does anyone else trip over their own spin tracks?

SkatingOnClouds
12-15-2006, 01:27 AM
maybe it is me, maybe it is because at this time of year (summer down here) our rink melts and doesn't re-freeze well - and there is no zamboni) but I notice I keep getting stuck in my own spin tracks.

What I mean is, I'll start a spin, it's centred, going okay, then suddenly I hit something, and it is like hitting a lump in the ice or something stuck there. I had a good look at this phenomenom the other day - it is actually my 3 turn mark where I hook into the spin that I am tripping over.

Too much on the toe pick? or just slushy ice?

Bill_S
12-15-2006, 07:41 AM
I certainly have done that, but for me it's when the ice is very brittle and it chunks away at the three turn apex. Softer ice doesn't do it as much, but I haven't skated much on slushy ice to see if happens there too.

Unlike most other skaters I watch, I don't hook the top of the three turn with my toe picks. It's just a deep edge at the top of the three, and that's enough to carve away enough ice to make a bumpy ride. It makes centering much more difficult.

Don't know how to get around the problem though. So far it affects my ability to spin well. Maybe I just have to learn to ride it out.

Team Arthritis
12-15-2006, 10:42 AM
well the problem is obviously that you center your spins too well! Now if you traveled farther, like me, you bump out of the intital 3! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/c050.gif
Seriously, as Bill said, one of our superspinners told me that the way to stop this is to not hook so much and flatten your blade a little so there is less toepick drag; this also is nedded to get the blur spins.
Lyle

mikawendy
12-15-2006, 09:47 PM
I don't trip over mine, but if there's a deep rut in the ice that didn't get fixed by the last ice cut, sometimes I don't discover it until I'm spinning. Or, more often, until I push off for the 3 turn entry and go sprawling as my foot catches an edge.

SkatingOnClouds
12-16-2006, 01:56 AM
Wow, it's good to know I am not the only one with this problem!

Slushy ice is all we get during summer, I didn't notice at all during the cooler weather. But then maybe I wasn't centring as well back then.;)

Award
12-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Yeah.... deep ruts left by other skaters can be nasty.

Casey
12-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Unlike most other skaters I watch, I don't hook the top of the three turn with my toe picks. It's just a deep edge at the top of the three, and that's enough to carve away enough ice to make a bumpy ride. It makes centering much more difficult.
Ditto here. So that must be why I have a hard time centering...but I do manage to spin pretty well...I didn't even know you were supposed to catch the toepicks at the 3...

AW1
12-18-2006, 06:19 PM
I wish Karen! I can't even spin! LOL