View Full Version : Such a long shot, but can anyone help me?

AW1
12-15-2006, 01:26 AM
I'm having a dispute with someone over a skating dress I bought on eBay.

I wondered if there are any dressmakers or sewers or anyone who sells skate dresses, who might be able to help me out?

I won't go into the full details on here, but basically I need to try and get a letter (on letterhead?) from an "independant 3rd party" (was told basically another skating dress supplier or someone who sells similar items) stating that the item I bought is not as described.

If you might be able to help me out, could you please let me know ASAP as my deadline is in 3 days from today.

I've not been able to find anyone here in Australia who can help with this because we don't have any skating apparel stores in my state!

SkatingOnClouds
12-15-2006, 01:31 AM
You could try Ice Art. They are in NSW though, you're in QLD? They sell skating apparell.

I make costumes for my daughter and myself, but not professionally, so I don't think I'd be much use to you.

Good luck in sorting this out. I have had very few negative Ebay experiences, but am myself in dispute with an Ebay seller at the moment.

AW1
12-15-2006, 01:38 AM
Thanks Karen, I actually contacted them but have not had a reply. I also contacted the original manufacturer of the dress, but she doesn't want to get involved. :( It's really annoying because I paid good money for it to give as a Christmas Present to one of the young girls we know at skating, but I can't give it to her now because it's not new!

Skittl1321
12-15-2006, 07:09 AM
Perhaps you can ask the skating director at your rink, or anyone at your rink who is also a judge. Although they do not make skating dresses for a living, I would say they are a professional who should be able to evaluate a skating dress.

Just a thought.

cathrl
12-15-2006, 03:28 PM
If the issue in whether it was as described is only whether it is or is not new, then I would say for ebay purposes it doesn't matter whether they make skating dresses. Any dressmaker should do - a dancewear maker would sound good. Do you have a local Irish/Highland dancing school? A majorette team? They often have professional custom outfits, while the ballet kids tend not to.

But - is it still a nice dress? I agree absolutely that nothing should be described as new if it isn't, but not being new really isn't a reason it can't be a present. Thank goodness, given what my daughter is having for Christmas (a second hand skating dress, and a third hand violin :) ) If it's going to be a real pain to prove your case, it may not be worth more than a feedback comment that it was described as new when it wasn't. Rather depends on how strongly you feel, and how much money is involved.

dbny
12-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Thank goodness, given what my daughter is having for Christmas (a second hand skating dress, and a third hand violin :) )

OT, but for the record, violins get better with age and use.

AW1
12-16-2006, 07:29 AM
Perhaps you can ask the skating director at your rink, or anyone at your rink who is also a judge. Although they do not make skating dresses for a living, I would say they are a professional who should be able to evaluate a skating dress.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion but we don't have a skating director at our rink (well that I'm aware of anyway), and I don't know any judges.

AW1
12-16-2006, 07:30 AM
If the issue in whether it was as described is only whether it is or is not new, then I would say for ebay purposes it doesn't matter whether they make skating dresses. Any dressmaker should do - a dancewear maker would sound good. Do you have a local Irish/Highland dancing school? A majorette team? They often have professional custom outfits, while the ballet kids tend not to.

But - is it still a nice dress? I agree absolutely that nothing should be described as new if it isn't, but not being new really isn't a reason it can't be a present. Thank goodness, given what my daughter is having for Christmas (a second hand skating dress, and a third hand violin :) ) If it's going to be a real pain to prove your case, it may not be worth more than a feedback comment that it was described as new when it wasn't. Rather depends on how strongly you feel, and how much money is involved.

The issue is that it was described as new but the design is worn off in big patches and there is pilling under the arms, which indicates it has been worn before and not new. It's not in a condition that I would give to someone as a gift - fine for my daughter to wear when she grows into it in about 5 years time, but not suitable to give as a gift.

Skittl1321
12-16-2006, 11:28 AM
What about to a tailor? Or a wedding dress shop?

They obviously would not be as good as a dance costumer, or skating dress maker- but I think they could tell you that "like new" material does not have major pilling in presure spots- used material does.

AW1
12-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Hi Skittl1321,
Yes I have tried but it's December and in Australia all the dance costumiers are now closed for trade since we have our summer holidays now for school kids (8 weeks off) and all the dance places close over Christmas-New Year period. I have tried 2 dressmakers, but neither have any appointments where I can fit in to see them in time.

dbny
12-16-2006, 11:42 PM
The issue is that it was described as new but the design is worn off in big patches and there is pilling under the arms, which indicates it has been worn before and not new. It's not in a condition that I would give to someone as a gift - fine for my daughter to wear when she grows into it in about 5 years time, but not suitable to give as a gift.

Given the very obviously worn condition of this dress, why not make your own letter. Use a friend's address for the business address and make up a name or use the friend's name. You can create a letterhead with Word or any other good word processing program. This seller is obviously scamming you and I think it's pretty ridiculous to demand a letter from a professional when the signs of wear are as clear as day.

Emberchyld
12-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Have you tried asking a dry cleaner? They should be professional enough for that letter.

Or go to a local fabric shop. They definitely know what new fabric looks like--- and they usually have the names of local seamstresses or tailors that could look at that for you. Even some department stores have in-house tailors that might be able to help you.

Good luck with your fight!

Ice Dancer
12-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Given the very obviously worn condition of this dress, why not make your own letter. Use a friend's address for the business address and make up a name or use the friend's name. You can create a letterhead with Word or any other good word processing program. This seller is obviously scamming you and I think it's pretty ridiculous to demand a letter from a professional when the signs of wear are as clear as day.

I have done something similar with paypal in the past, I bought a language CD set which was awful and I was asked to provide the same thing. I made up a logo on work, gave my work address and typed up something myself! It worked too so is definately worth a go, especially with something like that where you can enclose photos found on the internet of what the new fabric should look like.