View Full Version : So Many Skating Questions!!!!!!!!!!

Luckster013
12-11-2006, 06:52 PM
I have been learning the scratch spin for about 1 month and I can still only do maybe 2 bad rotations. How long should it take to be able to do a good long scratch spin?

I skate about 4 hours a week. How often should I sharpen my skates?

Could dull skates be interfering with my ability to do a scratch spin?

Is it okay for my skates if I skate on a backyard ice rink?

How many free skate levels are there?

How can I become less nervous before competitions?

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!

Award
12-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Do you have much ice time during that month? Anyway, 2 rotations, even if bad is better than none, right? Actually, in due time, you can only get better and better. Just don't rush it, and just have fun working on it. Eventually you'll get good at it. Very dull skates can interfere with skating, no matter it's a spin or anything else. If you suspect the skates are dull, then just see what happens when they're sharpened up a bit.

phoenix
12-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Spins usually take a long time to get really good. Most people work for a year or more to get a really good fast centered scratch spin. IMO, spins are much more difficult to learn than jumps (singles, anyway).

Leda
12-11-2006, 08:45 PM
I'll try to answer these questions from my personal experience and from advice. :]

1. 2 rotations is pretty good for a month! :] just keep working on it and work on balance off-ice. (it helps alot!)

2. you could sharpen them every month or every other month depending on how your skates feel. Like if they grip well when practicing edges etc.

3. Dull blades effect practicly everything! so I would have to say yes.

4. I'm actually not sure about backyard ice rinks but I would think that its basicly the same amount of wear on your skates. (someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

5. Well I am not very good with levels so I will let someone else answer! :P

6. Try to breath in and out and think that all the people and the judges want you to be there! There wouldn't be a competition without skaters! :] also try to have fun and keep yourself distracted before hand!

I hope my answers helped you! ;)

DressageChica
12-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Honestly, it should probably take years.

Sure, you can "get" a scratch spin...but as for perfecting it: making it centered, fast, many revolutions...that takes years of practice.

:)

froggy
12-11-2006, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=Luckster013;300692]I have been learning the scratch spin for about 1 month and I can still only do maybe 2 bad rotations. How long should it take to be able to do a good long scratch spin?

each person has a difft learning curve, myn is realllllllly slow for spins so i wont answer and dissappoint you, :o)

I skate about 4 hours a week. How often should I sharpen my skates?

I skate about 7-8 hours/week on indoor ice and i sharpen about every 2 1/2 -3months. outdoor ice will wear your blades down more.

Could dull skates be interfering with my ability to do a scratch spin?

imo dull can sort of improve the actual spin (less friction) though the entering and exit may be problematic. if you mean a worn down rocker now that would certainly affect your spins.

Is it okay for my skates if I skate on a backyard ice rink?
i would wear guards definately until getting on the ice, and you should be sure the ice is thick enough too. i've only skated a few times on outdoor ice and i will prob never again, too many holes and odd spots.

How many free skate levels are there?
on the standard usfsa track: 8
on the adult usfsa track: 4
basic usfsa skills program: 6
fyi usfsa= united states figure skating association

How can I become less nervous before competitions?
sorry never competed don't know from any experience, ill let others answer that for you.

good luck!!

Isk8NYC
12-12-2006, 01:04 AM
Sharpen your skates every 20-30 hours. If you feel you're slipping or going sideways, it's definitely time for a sharpening.

Indoor ice is (somewhat) cleaner, so you can get by longer without sharpening.

An outdoor backyard ice rink has debris embedded in the ice surface, such as dirt, bugs, leaves, twigs, and bird stuff. As a result, outdoor ice is more abrasive and will wear down your edges faster. So, you'll need to sharpen more often if you skate outdoors.

The advantage is that the ice is also slower, due to the debris and the temperature. You'll need to work harder to skate, which builds up your muscles. Skating indoors will be a piece of cake afterward.

Dull skates can interfere with spins, causing your entry and spin to be slower and less stable. Two revs after one month is fine. Keep practicing.

As for the jitters, if you prepare really well before a competition, you'll only need to worry about stage fright. You won't feel like "If only I had done this..."

Casey
12-12-2006, 01:53 AM
Practice outside edges. Hold each edge as long as you possibly can. Eventually, if you hold a left outside edge long enough the circle will get smaller and smaller and you will inevitably do a 3-turn. But delay it as long as you can and just hold that edge! That edge is the same as you do in a spin. The key to a good spin is staying on the outside edge and keeping the upper body still as possible.

You'll know when you start to get it when you pull in your arms and leg together and your spin accelerates...it literally takes a couple thousand attempts but you will get it, so just hang in there and keep going strong!

FYI, everyone is different but I find sharp blades really help spins... It doesn't hurt to get them sharpened. But do pay a little extra for the "good" sharpener at your rink if there is one - a proper sharpening is well worth it and it will pay off in the long run as sticking with one good sharpener will wear down your blade less with each sharpening...

Good luck!

techskater
12-12-2006, 06:41 AM
Practice outside edges. Hold each edge as long as you possibly can. Eventually, if you hold a left outside edge long enough the circle will get smaller and smaller and you will inevitably do a 3-turn. But delay it as long as you can and just hold that edge! That edge is the same as you do in a spin. The key to a good spin is staying on the outside edge and keeping the upper body still as possible.

Uh, that is NOT the edge you should be spinning on, it should be a back inside edge once the spin is hooked. If you flip it back to an outside edge, that's a feature in IJS. The outside edge is the entry edge to the spin, yes, and should be maintained so your entry into the spin looks like a #6

Team Arthritis
12-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Nobody has said this yet, WELCOME! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/sportlich/a065.gif
Lots of stuff to skating, lots of good advice.
My only other bit of advice on the scratchspin is don't worry so much about the spin, try working the "set". That's where you snap the free leg around and stop it held out sorta straight, sorta front of out to the side. Just try to snap and hold this position- a few revs are fine. Once this gets good then the spin is stable and pulling in is farely easy. When my spin goes, this is what I need to do to bring it back.
Lyle