View Full Version : Toenail infections

Casey
12-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Ugh. I guess I need to keep a better eye on my feet. Realized yesterday after skating that one of my toes was pretty sore, and upon closer examination, realized it has a fungal infection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onychomycosis) starting under one side of the nail (the nail is thicker on one side, and there's a small dark spot in it). Gross! http://sk8rland.com/images/smilies/vomit-smiley-001.gif I'm going to try the tea tree oil remedy...

Just posting cause it's something for skaters to watch out for as the boots tend to be tight-fitting and damp after a bit of skating which is a perfect setup for it.

An interesting quote from the wikipedia page says "Distilled white vinegar drops are applied to the cuticle twice a day until the fungus is gone. This method does not kill the fungus, but the vinegar allegedly changes the pH (acid content) of the new nail formed in that twelve-hour period. (The scientific perspective, however, is that vinegar is unlikely to penetrate the dense keratinous tissue thoroughly enough to have any significant effect. Instead, it may be absorbed by the skin above the nail and work its way to where the nail is actually forming.) As the old, infected nail grows and is cut away, it is said to be replaced by an acidic nail, uninhabitable by fungi. Several months of consistent application are involved."

Maybe a good preventative measure?

Award
12-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Maybe a good preventative measure?

I think so! Certainly better than amputation. Otherwise, maybe the doc could recommend an antifungal treatment.

vesperholly
12-11-2006, 03:37 AM
Tea tree oil is great for toenails. Unfortunately, mine got to the point where I had to take the pill. Yuck. But it got rid of it perfectly.

Casey
12-11-2006, 07:33 AM
I think so! Certainly better than amputation. Otherwise, maybe the doc could recommend an antifungal treatment.
tea tree oil is an antifungal :)

samba
12-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Poor Casey and poor Rusty Blades,

Unfortunately I dont have any suggestions for Casey, but in view of the many problems we all seem to suffer for the love of our sport, maybe we should have a sticky for methods of treatment for various foot/toe problems, I dont know how to do a sticky but I'm sure someone knows how?

Team Arthritis
12-11-2006, 10:46 AM
tea tree oil gave me hives :cry:
Toenail fungus is very hard to cure, good luck. The best preventive I do is that I wear slip ons and I take them off whenever I can!
Lyle

vesperholly
12-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Poor Casey and poor Rusty Blades,

Unfortunately I dont have any suggestions for Casey, but in view of the many problems we all seem to suffer for the love of our sport, maybe we should have a sticky for methods of treatment for various foot/toe problems, I dont know how to do a sticky but I'm sure someone knows how?

IMO we already have enough stickies in this forum. The SEARCH function works well enough...

Hannahclear
12-11-2006, 04:35 PM
How do I tell if I've split my toenail or if it's that gross problem? I thought my big toenail had just split, it was very tender for a few weeks, not that I had fungus. It's not yellow at all. Just a white spot.

Those creepy little fungus dudes in the drug commercials FREAK me out!

Eeeek! Off to find tea tree oil in cupboard.

doubletoe
12-11-2006, 06:23 PM
All I'm going to say on the subject is that I don't wear sandals without opaque toenail polish on, and I am VERY glad my husband is the right sort for a skater: He'd rather I have a sexy butt than sexy feet, LOL!

Having said that. . . So what about those pills? Are there any side effects? Do you have to get them from a podiatrist, or just any doctor?

dbny
12-11-2006, 09:55 PM
I have had a fungus infection in my big toe nail for many, many years. It never hurt, but thickens the nail to the point of discomfort and also used to rip holes in my skating tights. I have found a solution that involves no medication at all. I bought a mini dremel tool kit from HarborFreight for $9, and I use it to file down the top of the nail to a normal height. I need to do it about every two weeks to keep the nail looking relatively normal. I used to have a prescription for Penlac, which is a nail polish type of medication that never did any good because it didn't penetrate. I'm going to get it again and try it now that I can keep the nail thin.

samba
12-12-2006, 12:57 AM
How expensive is it to see a doctor in the US? I would have gone to see one with something like this in the UK.

dbny
12-12-2006, 12:43 PM
It's not the expense. There is really no good cure for toenail fungus. There are two methods and neither are guaranteed. The first is to remove the toenail and treat the affected nail bed - not popular with skaters for obvious reasons. The second is a nine month course of oral medication, which can affect the liver and so requires monthly blood work. Personally, I don't care about the blood work; I would not do anything that could adversely affect my liver unless my life depended on it. I'm perfectly fine with my little electric dremel tool.

doubletoe
12-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Okay, now I know why I have been so hesitant to take pills for it! :??

NoVa Sk8r
12-12-2006, 01:23 PM
To set the record straight, Lamisil does NOT require monthly blood work. It requires blood work a few times over the nine-month course of treatment. Liver problems were RARE in patients. You're more likely to have problems with aspirin.

Clarice
12-12-2006, 02:53 PM
The doctor column in my local paper also recommends Vick's Vaporub as a topical remedy for toenail infections. The columnist says he's heard a lot of positive reports about this treatment, and says it's worth a try. If it works, you don't have to take Lamisil. I have no idea why it should do anything, but I'm trying it since I don't want to take the medication if I can help it.

doubletoe
12-12-2006, 03:29 PM
To set the record straight, Lamisil does NOT require monthly blood work. It requires blood work a few times over the nine-month course of treatment. Liver problems were RARE in patients. You're more likely to have problems with aspirin.

Nova, have you used it? Do you recommend it?

NoVa Sk8r
12-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Fortunately, I have perfectly healthy feet.

But I was discussing this treatment with a friend not 2 days ago. I told him that I had thought Lamisil was not a great treament option. But he explained its medical info (he had a long conversation with several doctors) and whatnot to me.

dbny
12-12-2006, 04:15 PM

I don't have time now to do my own research, so I'll take your word for it. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. It's possible I was thinking of a predecessor drug.

phoenix
12-12-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm perfectly fine with my little electric dremel tool.

8O I just got a dremel tool & the power of thing scares me even working w/ wood! How do you dare put it to your own nails & be sure you won't press a little too hard & have it go right on through??

skateflo
12-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I can confirm that the vinegar does work - I read it somewhere on the net and the person said twice a day and then soak toes once a week for 30 minutes. You do have to be diligent in doing this until the nail grows out - 9 months. As for the Rx stuff, many insurance companies will not cover it past 3 months, if at all...... and the tree tea oil is also supposed to be very effective.

The vinegar and google searching (especially for images) sure was a lot cheaper than doctor appointments, etc. Try it but be patient as it does take a long time to resolve.

doubletoe
12-12-2006, 05:38 PM
That's what I'm afraid of. . . the patience part! :?? Based on my past record with things like that, I am afraid I won't have the discipline to do it 2x/day and 30 minutes once a week for 9 months!

dbny
12-12-2006, 06:38 PM
8O I just got a dremel tool & the power of thing scares me even working w/ wood! How do you dare put it to your own nails & be sure you won't press a little too hard & have it go right on through??

The trick is to pick a drill bit that is long and rounded. I've used a cylindrical one and a conical one with good effect. As long as you keep the side of the bit to the nail, you can't possibly go through. The only danger is in nicking the cuticle or skin adjacent to it, so just go slowly near the edges of the nail. If your fungus doesn't touch the cuticle, you should have no problems. The heat generated by the process can get a bit much, and then I just give it a rest for a few moments.

That's what I'm afraid of. . . the patience part! :?? Based on my past record with things like that, I am afraid I won't have the discipline to do it 2x/day and 30 minutes once a week for 9 months!

Me too! I was supposed to apply carmol and then penlac regularly and couldn't manage.

Tessa
12-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Okay, I'm raising my hand and joining the club. My name is Tessa and I have toenail fungus. Something like this has never happened to me before! I literally just discovered it this month. I'm totally traumatized! I have fungus under my two big toes. It's not touching the bottom cuticle but I am freaked. I love my pedis.

My MD gave me some two Rx's -- one is that Penlac stuff that db mentioned but it costs $160 (db does that sound right?) and not covered by my insurance; so I asked for Lamisil -- hello $300 for a month and also not covered.

I went out and got some tea tree oil. I also read online about soaking your toes in a weak solution of bleach for about 5 minutes a day. That's scary! But it supposedly makes your toenails white so maybe it will look like I have a pedi. I'm desperate!

Does anyone know of any good antifungal powders or treatments for skate boots? I'm sure that's what the cause is -- I skate barefoot.

Casey -- it is totally weird that you brought up this subject now!

vesperholly
12-12-2006, 10:48 PM
It's not the expense. There is really no good cure for toenail fungus. There are two methods and neither are guaranteed. The first is to remove the toenail and treat the affected nail bed - not popular with skaters for obvious reasons. The second is a nine month course of oral medication, which can affect the liver and so requires monthly blood work. Personally, I don't care about the blood work; I would not do anything that could adversely affect my liver unless my life depended on it. I'm perfectly fine with my little electric dremel tool.

Huh? I took Lamisil for 90 days, not nine months - where did you hear that number?! 8O I had blood work done four times: before each 30-day period (the prescription was only for 30 days) and then once when the pills were done.

My toenails are perfect now, and I didn't have any liver damage or anything.

Mrs Redboots
12-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Does anyone know of any good antifungal powders or treatments for skate boots? I'm sure that's what the cause is -- I skate barefoot.In the UK, the answer is always "Ask your pharmacist"; I assume the same applies in the USA?

We have an anti-athletes' foot powder called Mycil (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100003750.html) that I used a lot in the past (I hate the smell - it reminds me of my first term at boarding-school when I both had athletes foot and was very unhappy!), and something similar would probably do the trick.

manleywoman
12-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Make sure to clean your toe clipper and tweezers with alcohol too so not to spread the infection.

dbny
12-13-2006, 12:11 PM
My MD gave me some two Rx's -- one is that Penlac stuff that db mentioned but it costs $160 (db does that sound right?) and not covered by my insurance; so I asked for Lamisil -- hello $300 for a month and also not covered.

I'm sure that's what the cause is -- I skate barefoot.

My Penlac and Carmasol were covered by my insurance so I can't help you there.

According to my dermatologist, you are either susceptible to foot/toenail fungus or you are not. You can skate barefoot, walk through puddles at the health club pool and never get it, or you can do neither and get it. In my own experience, I had athlete's foot before my toenail got infected. It was initially misdiagnosed and I was feeding it with a cream, so the entire ball of my R foot was infected, itching, bleeding, oozing, and generally disgusting. No one else in my house got it, including DH who played footsie with me :).

Huh? I took Lamisil for 90 days, not nine months - where did you hear that number?! 8O I had blood work done four times: before each 30-day period (the prescription was only for 30 days) and then once when the pills were done.

My toenails are perfect now, and I didn't have any liver damage or anything.

Nine months is evidently the average time it takes for a toenail to grow completely out. Possibly your infection was caught very early and was at the front of the nail, so it was cleared in only 3 months.

vesperholly
12-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Nine months is evidently the average time it takes for a toenail to grow completely out. Possibly your infection was caught very early and was at the front of the nail, so it was cleared in only 3 months.
Definitely not. My toenail was infected around 1999 (I remember putting on dark nail polish to hide it) and I started the pill in 2004. I had full-on fungi toenail in one big toe and another smaller toe.

Geek Skater
12-13-2006, 03:12 PM
I believe they prescribe the medication for 3 months, but you may not see the results until your new toenail has grown out completely, which could take up to 9 months. I too have some toenail fungus, and was prescribed Lamasil. But after further research, I've decided to try the tree oil remedy first. Anyone know where's a good place to buy tree oil?

manleywoman
12-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Anyone know where's a good place to buy tree oil?

The Body Shop

Tessa
12-13-2006, 06:51 PM
No one else in my house got it, including DH who played footsie with me :)

LOL!!!!

Ack. I'm still devastated. I know there are bigger problems in the world, heck, I have bigger problems. Well, off to bleach my toes.

Oh -- I got my tea tree oil from a health food store near where I work.

lovepairs
12-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Okay, I'll come out of the closet, too...years ago I did the Lamisil thing and it did nothing. Then several years passed and I had a new doctor and I asked if I should try Lamisil again, and he said "No" too risky for the kidneys and not worth it.

I've been just covering it up under pretty toe nail polish. Okay, now I'm going to try the Tea Tree Oil. I'm running to the health food store...:giveup:

icedancer2
12-13-2006, 07:55 PM
It's an epidemic!!

I agree with lovepairs that I wouldn't take the meds unless I absolutely had to. Since my Dr. thinks the problem is mainly cosmetic, I have chosen to treat it by many of the methods listed here -- including the dremel (which works, by the way). My husband did the Lamisil and it took about 3 months -- the Penlac was really expensive, totally tedious and didn't do much.

I think it is a matter of susceptibility and nothing more. My right foot is affected, left foot is fine. Some sort of right-sided problem I guess (sort of like my turning forward from a back edge problem...

Hmmm.

aussieskater
12-13-2006, 08:09 PM
(*runs away to google "dremel tool"*)

Haven't had the fungus as far as I know (how do you know? What does it look like?), but re the dremel tool: a couple of years ago, my sister gave me a manicure set which had a small electric filer-thing which looks to be roughly the same size and shape as a dremel tool, with several different sized emery heads as part of it. (An attempt to encourage me to keep nice nails - didn't work, sadly...)

The idea is that you clip the appropriate emery head to the electric filer, switch it on, and away you go. It filed pretty slowly (I tried to use the coarsest one to file away the rough skin on my heels but it was t-o-o s-l-o-w and took forever). If control is what you need (and it sounds like it is needed - I'd be scared to go all the way through at 35,000 rpm!), maybe something like this is a better (and cheaper) option than a dremel tool?

dbny
12-13-2006, 09:26 PM
For anyone interested, HarborFreight (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94076) has a dremel tool set on sale now for only $7.49. This is the one I've been using. It's really pretty hard to hurt yourself with it and it works fairly quickly. Unfortunately, maintenance is not my strong point, so I often wait until my nail has thickened up too much, and then it does take a while to get it down to a reasonable thickness. BTW, if you use nail polish, you would not even be able to tell you have a fungus after using the dremel.

doubletoe
12-13-2006, 10:48 PM
(*runs away to google "dremel tool"*)

Haven't had the fungus as far as I know (how do you know? What does it look like?)

If your toenails are thick and yellow and you're embarrassed to wear sandals, then you have joined the club!

Team Arthritis
12-14-2006, 08:55 AM
If your toenails are thick and yellow and you're embarrassed to wear sandals, then you have joined the club!
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d010.gif
I use those to grip my boots when I work scarry BI3's and brackets!
Lyle

sexyskates
12-14-2006, 09:59 PM
OK, I'm in the club too. As far as I know, you get the fungal infection more easily if the toe nail becomes damaged. Both my pinkie toes got it from ski boots as a child (way back when the boots were leather), and now my 4th toes have it also from skating boots. Skating is hell on the toes! I've tried the penlac and creams with little success. I think the pill is too risky for such a minor problem. I do the pretty nail polish thing in the summer.

Geek Skater
01-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Anyone know where's a good place to buy tree oil?
The Body Shop
I want to point out that the Tea Tree Oil at the Body Shop (http://www.thebodyshop.com/bodyshop/browse/product_detail.jsp?productId=prod170278) only contains 15% tea tree oil.

I found 100% tea tree oil at GNC (http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133985&cp=2167369.2109117.2146513).

Based on what I've read, 100% tea tree oil should be used for toenail fungus. The lower percentage oils can be used for other purposes, such as acne or blemish.

I've been using the Body Shop oil for about a month now. My infection is on the 4th toe. Each time, I first use a nail file to file down the nail to keep the nail as thin as possible. Then I rub some oil on it. I do this after my morning shower and before I go to bed every day. It's hard for me to tell if it's been working so far. I switched to the GNC oil last night and I'm hoping the 100% oil will make a difference. Since it's my 4th toe, it's already almost half grown out since I started the process, so I should know before long if it worked.

Casey
01-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Super Supplements carries both strengths.

Sessy
02-23-2007, 06:16 AM
Casey, if nothing else works against the fungus you could get pills from your doctor to take for a few months as the sick nail grows out. However, they're pretty heavy on the liver and thus make you tired, and should be used as a final remedy. I don't recall the name, it was something like flucanazole or itraconazole or whatever...

dooobedooo
02-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Okay, I'm raising my hand and joining the club. My name is Tessa and I have toenail fungus. Something like this has never happened to me before! I literally just discovered it this month. I'm totally traumatized! I have fungus under my two big toes. It's not touching the bottom cuticle but I am freaked. I love my pedis...

I had Athlete's Foot (a skin fungus - under my little, fourth and third toes) which was successfully cleared up by using Daktarin Gold cream (from pharmacist) for a few months. This was after unsuccessfully trying other products. Plus I now wear clean, dry, cotton socks at every skate.