View Full Version : Coaches problem.

sk8rabbi_07
12-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Ok... I have 2 15 minute lessons in half of my basic badge time. One student is named destiny, and the other is michaela. I just recently got destiny as a student, so before her I would always give michaela the first lesson. But now that destiny is there, she is always on the ice when i go to give michaela her lesson, but michaela is no where on the ice to be found? So I give destiny michaela's spot, and im carefully watching the ice during destiny's program for michaela? But the whole time she isn't on the ice. So when im done with destiny's lesson. I wait about 5 minutes and then get off the ice. This has been going on for about 2 weeks and michaela's mom called me and left a message on my answering machine asking if I am still her daughters private lesson coach because she hasen't gotten a lesson?.... How do i go about talking to this parent without sounding rude and saying well your daughter is never on the ice?!?!?!

Mrs Redboots
12-10-2006, 02:45 PM
I should turn the tables - is Michaela still your student, as you haven't seen her on the ice for a couple of weeks?

sk8rabbi_07
12-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Well she has her 1/2 hour group lesson b4, but when she's done she gets off the ice and i very rarely see her again

Mrs Redboots
12-10-2006, 05:21 PM
In that case you can still ask whether she's given up on private lessons - say that she gets off the ice and appears to have gone home when you are ready to teach her.

sk8rabbi_07
12-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Okay thanks for the advice. I plan to call her parent back tomorrow. Gotta build up some guts. Her mom is a bit of a bugger. Any more advice?:??

Skittl1321
12-10-2006, 05:55 PM
It's tough to tell, but by giving another girl a lesson in "her" spot, maybe you confused the girl and thats why she kept running off?

When you talk to the mom, maybe you should tell her a) you're a coach, not a babysitter- it's the skaters job to find you, and b) you'll keep the spot open (not give someone else a lesson in that skaters spot) but if the skater doesn't show up, you were there for a reserved time and the lesson still needs to be paid for.

My coach requires all lessons be paid a week in advance (although I'm going to ask him if I can pay by the month instead)- and that might be something to do. The lesson slot belongs to the girl- and you shouldn't be giving someone else a lesson in it, but if she doesn't show up you should still be paid for it.

sk8rabbi_07
12-11-2006, 06:51 AM
Our head coach won't let the lessons be paid in advance. But thanks for the input anything helps :) I'm off to the rink right now an hour away!

Isk8NYC
12-11-2006, 09:57 AM
I was having a a similar problem. I have two students who have a 30m practice, a 30 m. group Freestyle lesson and a 45m. group MITF lesson. Then, they come to me for a half-hour lesson apiece.

Both the MITF instructor and I were constantly waiting for the kids to arrive for their lessons. After three weeks, I left the ice and looked for them. I realized that they needed a break to get a drink and have a snack. It's a long 3-hour afternoon on the ice for them since they try to pack in all their skating on one day.

I'm also their group instructor, so the Mom and I agreed that I could let them go a few minutes early and send them to get their water bottles. (Their Mom always has a snack ready.) That way, they can get to their moves lesson on time. (They're still a few minutes late, but it's much better.)

Since the private lesson time is on a freestyle session that's 90 minutes long, I give them a 5-10 minute break beforehand. I wait in one of the boxes and do paperwork. (Hopefully, I'll be able to fill that time slot soon.)

15 minutes isn't a lot of time for a lesson. To make it productive on limited ice time, you have to be strict about the starting on time rule. I'm guessing Michaela gets dropped off, so you don't see her guardian or there's no adult to remind her of the time. Michaela's getting off the ice for something. (Drink/snack/payment?) You didn't say if Destiny's in the groups before Badge ice time. If Destiny's not in those earlier group lessons, it makes sense to rearrange the two kids so Michaela can take a quick break.

Talk to Michaela and her mother (in person is best) and explain that your leaving the ice to find her uses up the lesson time. Offer to switch her to the second lesson slot so she can take that break.

Regardless, make sure the kid knows what time to arrive for her lesson and that she has to find you on the ice. Write the time on a card/paper and put it in the kid's jacket pocket.

Good luck.

PS - Are the rink clocks in sync?
I've found that the one inside the rink is often "off" from the one in the lobby.
You might want to check and point it out to Michaela.

Ice Dancer
12-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Did everything work out in the end?