View Full Version : back outside edges -free leg position

froggy
12-08-2006, 02:07 PM
when my coach has me doing BO consecutive edges (APB MITF) and alternating back crossovers to BO edges (AB MITF) after the push she has me hold my free leg in front then after I switch my arm position move the free leg in back of me. She tells me this is the proper technique and it is more controlled that way (btw she is into ice dancing and she is very particular when it comes to form and edges). HOwever, I see on the rulebook it say that the free leg position is up to the discretion of the skater. On the test is it necessary to hold the leg in front? ...for me it's the hardest position to control. I'm curious to know those who have taken/passed PB and B MITF test if they did so or not.

thanks!

flo
12-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi,
It is the option of the skater. The position taught often depends on if your coach spent time doing figures or not.

das_mondlicht
12-08-2006, 02:35 PM
It is up to the skater. When I learned BO, I got 2 free-leg options(after arm switch): tug behind or fully extension. No in-between, as my coach said. Also, holding the free leg in front for counting to 3 after the push makes the edge more controlled. I choose stretching free leg behind because I feel comfortable that way. The BO of BXOR-BO is different from BO edges. But again, I stretch free leg after BXOR to BO as well. But then my coach asked me to point the toes...which will make the line more...pretty. The primary focus is edge quality, so you have the complete freedom of arms/legs position.

Luna

Debbie S
12-08-2006, 02:38 PM
When I did the consecutive edges (Pre-Bronze), I was told to keep the free foot toe-to-heel the whole time. Obviously, when you push onto the new foot at each transition, your (new) free foot will extend out for a second, but then it should come in next to your heel. I was told this keeps you balanced and decreases the chance of wobbles and subcurves, which the judges will mark you down on.

For the alt BO edge glides on the Bronze test, right after the crossover, I immediately extended my free leg behind me after setting down on the BO edge. The move is really designed for you to improve your landing position, so while the free leg position is optional, everyone I've ever seen test this move has always done it with the free leg behind them. Remember, the point of moves is to help skaters develop skills for freestyle, not dance.

icedancer2
12-08-2006, 02:41 PM
HOwever, I see on the rulebook it say that the free leg position is up to the discretion of the skater. On the test is it necessary to hold the leg in front?
thanks!

Oh my god, is this true? I thought for the BO edge on the Bronze Moves it had to be a brush-back (like a jump landing or spin exit) -- if you can do basically a swing roll I would be so so very very happy, because as an ice-dancer this is much easier for me!!

Please confirm all you judges out there!!

phoenix
12-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Oh my god, is this true? I thought for the BO edge on the Bronze Moves it had to be a brush-back (like a jump landing or spin exit) -- if you can do basically a swing roll I would be so so very very happy, because as an ice-dancer this is much easier for me!!

Please confirm all you judges out there!!

The original question was in regards to the pre-pre/A. Pre-bronze edge rolls, where free foot position is optional. The prelim/A. bronze back crossovers to back outside edge, I believe requires the free leg extended back as in a landing position.

icedancer2
12-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Remember, the point of moves is to help skaters develop skills for freestyle, not dance.

While this may have been the original intent of the Moves (to replace figures) don't forget that in order for dancers to compete, they must also take and pass Moves tests (at the Standard level, not for Adult competitons). A dancer most likely has more use for the BO edge on the BM test to be done with the foot forward as in a swing roll, although there is an occassional brush-back as in the ladie's step immediately before the counter in the Westminster Waltz.

I looked at the rulebook and it does say that there is complete freedom with respect to arm and leg positions on this move so I suppose there could be some argument.

I had actually thought at one point that I might do this move one way down one side of the arena and the other way down the other side, just to see if anyone notices and also to show that I could do it both ways.

We'll see what I actually do. I suspect that phoenix is right, that this move is meant to be done as a brush-back but I would love to hear what others might think, especially the judges on this forum.