View Full Version : 5' 9"

sk8er08
12-08-2006, 08:19 AM
do you guys think that someone who's 5' 9" will ever land successful and good doubles? i don't think i will ever land a triple but i am counting on the doubles. do you think that balance will ever be a prob. i can land double loops off the ice. and axel.

Frumpy
12-08-2006, 08:24 AM
There is a girl at our rink who is certianly that tall, and she can do doubles. I think it took her a LITTLE bit longer to learn them than some of the shorter skaters, but when she does them -- they are amazing and beautiful.

Her legs are sooo long, and she has an amazing set of spirals and a gorgeous layback because of it! :bow:

Besides, there are a lot of guys who are taller than that, and they can do doubles and triples. There's no reason why you can't too, with a bit of work.

Good luck! :D

Mercedeslove
12-08-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm 5'8". Hopefully it won't hurt me much.

TashaKat
12-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Robin Cousins is tall and his doubles were absolutely rock solid. I've seen him skate in competition, in a show, on TV/video and in person (same rink!!!) and there was never any doubt that he would land them AND they were aesthetically gorgeous too.

techskater
12-08-2006, 10:31 AM
I don't see how it could hold you back, or else I am a freak of nature! I am almost 5'10" tall and can land 2sal and 2toe consistently and 2loop somewhat consistently

Petlover
12-08-2006, 11:55 AM
I believe Lisa Marie Allen is 5'10", and she was an extremely successful and beautiful skater, landing doubles and triples and competing at the top.

coskater64
12-08-2006, 03:51 PM
I am just under 5'10" and an adult skater, when my jumps are on I have good doubles when they are off, they're way off, but the issue wasn't my height.

It is more difficult for taller skaters to get the jumps to work overall but certainly not impossible, the key is to have immaculate singles and to learn to wait. I am all leg with a 34"+ inseam I have had to develop a lot of core strength, a good coach and patience will serve you well. Take advantage of your height and your line, I spin very quickly and centered so I try to take advantage of that -- remember skating is a whole package sport, it is better to land fully rotated jumps than cheated jumps, in the end they won't count, so do what you can do well, you will get doubles and if you are young enough don't count out triples. Before my hip surgery my coach actually put me on the harness do to 2axels, I am 42, I also managed my first clean double loops 3 days before the surgery so you can do it.8O 8O

sk8er08
12-08-2006, 06:02 PM
thanks guys you really helped me.

Mercedeslove
12-08-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm glad there is hope for tall skaters. I know I was always the tallest in my group glasses and wasn't happy with it. When we did a spring ice show last May, I was the tallest out of the four and felt like a giant. I can't even look at the photos from it, not to mention I don't like what I look like period.

MQSeries
12-10-2006, 09:18 AM
How tall or short you are for the most part isn't going to limit your ability to do the double jumps. What will make your jumps successful is your entrance into the jump and how committed you are in landing that double or axel. If you're afraid to fall then most likely you're not going to get that double, even the simplest ones like the 2sal.