View Full Version : Freestyle / Patch Guidelines

Ellyn
12-07-2006, 01:29 PM
I'd say, if you feel the need to spend most of a freestyle session working on hockey circles, do move around from one circle to another. But most important, pay attention to what the other skaters are doing.

Inevitably there will be times when more than one person aims for the same part of the ice at the same time, and at least one of them has to abort what they're doing and try again. Don't feel bad when someone has to stop to avoid you a first time. You have just as much right to the space as they do (unless their program music is playing). But then let them have the next turn.

It's better to spin in the middle than in the corners, but watch out for skaters in program, or working on footwork sequences or advanced moves that might come through the center. You'd probably be better off slightly off center than right on the center line.

The circles at 1:00 and 7:00 around the rink are where most skaters will put lutzes, and for the basic lutz setup they're coming into the corner backward and can't see who's there except by looking over the shoulder. If you see a skater coming backward on the diagonal toward the corner for the jump, try not to be near them when they're ready to jump.

Some skaters, especially if they jump clockwise, will do lutzes in the corners at 11:00 and 5:00. Counterclockwise jumpers may put double salchows or other jumps on those circles as well.

If you see a skater come around two or three times and have to abort the jump each time because you're in the way, it's time apologize and move somewhere else. And don't just silently move to the corner diagonally opposite because the skater might have the same idea and move to the other end at the same time.

Also be aware of Moves in the Field patterns. A lot of them especially at the lower levels travel counterclockwise around the perimeter of the rink, curving back and forth toward the boards and the center on curves that will vary in size depending on the specific moves and the size and skill of the skater. (Most dances follow similar but less predictable patterns, in case people tend to practice dance on the freestyle sessions.) If you see a skater trying to start a pattern with some intro steps across the end of the ice toward that corner, try to get out of the way until they've finished the first lobe and moved on down the ice past the hockey circle. If you see that the skater has to abort the move and goes back to the center or other side of that end of the ice to restart the intro steps, just stand at the boards or move to a completely different part of the ice to let them get their pattern started the second time.

Isk8NYC
12-08-2006, 01:51 AM
ISk8NYC, Can Ellyn's post be a stickie??? LOL!!! :lol:

And I can't help when reading the title of the thread that there should be a freestyle police ready with a ticket for repeat offenders of the "Hockey Circle Parking" rule!!! LOL!!!

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/figuren/k065.gif

This is just about the best summary of freestyle guidelines I've ever seen! :bow: Is there any way we could post this permanently, since this is a question that gets asked often?

Per requests, here is a "Freestyle / Patch Guidelines" sticky.

Terri C
12-08-2006, 05:24 AM
I have one good question:
How would this pertain to doing moves in the field? Several skaters at my rink, myself included have had a frustrating time trying to moves patterns on freestyle sessions!
Please keep in mind that very few rinks offer moves only sessions, so freestyle is really the only other time one could practice moves.

flo
12-08-2006, 09:07 AM
I think of moves as a program. Just as a skater in a program, I go out of my way to give them space the first time they go through the pattern, or if they're in a lesson. After that it's much the same as a skater practicing their program - look out for yourself, and I'll look out for you.

phoenix
12-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Also if you're standing at the boards to get a drink/rest/chat, you should stand RIGHT against the boards! Moves and dance patterns are supposed to come into the wall at certain places & there's nothing so annoying as skaters just standing there 5 feet from the boards and in the way.

One of the most critical spots is the red center line (many dances come against the wall right there), you should never stand on the red line (I'm always surprised at how many people do!).

And the corners/ends are almost always utilized by both moves & dancers, so the ends aren't necessarily the best place to park.

Best thing to do is keep moving (I have a rule for my little students; you can't stop & stand still unless you're touching the boards). It's easier to avoid a skater who is moving. You have to look less at where someone is, and more at where they are going, to judge whether you'll run into each other.

doubletoe
12-09-2006, 12:12 PM
At our rink, the rule is that freestyle skaters have right of way over MIF and dance. Still, it is common courtesy on a freestyle session to recognize when someone is on a pattern and to get out of the way if possible.

Team Arthritis
12-11-2006, 08:35 AM
One trick that helps ME stay out of other peoples way is to skate along touching the boards while looking at the approaching skater if we are converging. That way I know exactly how far over I can move while watching out for eminent disaster while keeping up my speed so I can then 3turn back into whatever I am working on with minimum delay.
Lyle

Isk8NYC
12-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Best advice I can give: Never turn your back on a pairs or dance team. I almost got wiped out leaving a finished freestyle by a pairs team that were cut off by the Zamboni. (Told you it was finished.:frus: ) The team turned sharply and I was in their way with my back to them, skating for the door. It takes more effort to stop a runaway train of TWO than ONE. :lol:

May I suggest that, if you're CONSTANTLY getting cut off by slow skaters (and there are more of them than you), maybe you've graduated and need to move to a higher-level freestyle. Not always convenient or possible, I understand.

I know of 5 above-juv skaters who DO have access to higher-level freestyles, but regularly skate on a session with 12-15 below-juvenile skaters. Both the high- and low-level skaters are constantly distracted, watching the others. At some point you have to consider your options and wonder if the cut-offs and danger are worth the $$ and convenience.

There are advantages to skating with others at or above your level. You'd have to skate faster and more aggressively, which would improve your skating. Plus, you can check out the competition, right? ;)

Skate@Delaware
12-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Best advice I can give: Never turn your back on a pairs or dance team. I almost got wiped out leaving a finished freestyle by a pairs team that were cut off by the Zamboni. (Told you it was finished.:frus: ) The team turned sharply and I was in their way with my back to them, skating for the door. It takes more effort to stop a runaway train of TWO than ONE. :lol:

May I suggest that, if you're CONSTANTLY getting cut off by slow skaters (and there's more of them than you), maybe you've graduated and need to move to a higher-level freestyle. Not always convenient or possible, I understand.
Good advice!!!

As a new ice dance "pair", hubby and I are constantly reminding the kids at our rink to be on the lookout for us-they seem to be forever in our way when we are in lesson (and usually playing skating games at that) and seem to be oblivious to the danger!!!8O I have talked to them and mentioned that two full-size adults bearing down at them full-speed will knock them down and hurt them! Some have stayed away, some haven't. I tell them it is much easier if they just stay away rather than try to figure out which way everyone needs to veer off.

Our rink has only open sessions and pair/ice dance is relatively new. We are the second couple in 5 years. Kids have a short attention span. It's frustrating; I'd hate for an accident to happen before everyone is alerted to the danger.

JustSkate<3
03-25-2007, 11:28 PM
thank you, this is helpful. i always feel bad when i get in someones way, and annoyed when they get in mine. now i can be sure who had the right of way.

Isk8NYC
04-13-2007, 11:37 AM
If you scroll down to the bottom of THIS PAGE (http://www.xicenter.com/figfreestyle.html), they very nicely set forth some ground rules for the rink's freestyle. Very good approach, especially about soliciting.

peanutskates
04-30-2007, 02:02 AM
deleted.......

rlichtefeld
02-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Here are my club's etiquette rules for Club Ice and Practice ice:

http://www.gafsc.org/forms/etiquette.pdf

Rob