View Full Version : Christmas Skatingforum.com Meetup

jazzpants
12-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Okay, guys!!!

When: December 22nd, late afternoon, early evening.

I originally wanted Ice House, but what reading on the Ice House website, there is no public session on Friday night other than the late night Skate Jam that starts at 9:30PM!!! 8O We probably would need to do a double Friday afternoon FS sessions from 3:45pm-5:15pm (http://www.icehousenj.com/figureskating_on_ice.aspx) (No Test - Pre Juv.) There's also a red mark saying "unless otherwise specified, please check the Message Board." Other issue... we need an Open FS session where EVERYONE can go to... and I'm open to accomodate for a mix of low and high level skaters. If I try for the 3:45pm-5:15pm session, FrankR can't go to it b/c he's well passed that level in skating skills!!! (Not that I'm saying that FrankR has committed to coming, of course. ;) But I want the option of having someone who skates at his level to be included in the meetup.)

So I would like to propose this locale instead...

Where: Brooklyn at Aviator Sports... and there is a 5:30-6:50pm (http://www.aviatorsports.com/sports/iceskating_freestyle.php) open FS session that I'm thinking wouldn't be a bad option... and this is my own personal first choice to try out as far as skating rinks are concerned b/c it's brand new and I haven't been there before.

TimDavidSkate
12-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Aviator has this session of 7 to 8:20 and its EMPTY ~ Tuesdays :halo:

HelenC
12-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Hi Tim!
Looking forward to meeting you, Jazzpants!
I think I can do the Friday session at Aviator.

sue123
12-07-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm not sure yet what my plans are for the holiday week, but I do know that Friday is the last day of classes which means I am almost guaranteed work as all the teachers leave for the holidays, and I'm not one to pass up money. Of course, since htis is in the early evening, I might be able to make it assuming I'm not going anywhere. Me and my friend were thinking of taking a "Jew Kids" Christmas and going away somewhere. So if it will be at Aviator, I may make it, although I might be too exhausted to skate. But if anything, I could always bring my famous double chocolate chip cookies for you guys instead. But put me down for a maybe.

renatele
12-08-2006, 12:10 AM
I'd probably be able to make it to Ice House early in the evening, Aviator - not so sure (traffic etc). I have last final exam on Friday afternoon.

jazzpants
12-08-2006, 12:25 AM
I guess I should also add that there probably would be a dinner meetup afterwards, so if you can't make for the skating part, you can still meet us for dinner. The local is TBD... I'll leave it to the locals to suggest a place... ;) (The only restrictions are... 1) keep it healthy and 2) I don't want the menu to be predominantly cheese or dairy or cream based since I'm allergic to dairy. Yes, this woman is very sad that she has to give up pizzas. :( )

So if you can't make it on time for Aviator, you are quite welcome to join us afterwards for dinner too! :)

Dbny: You know of a place we can all go to afterwards???

Isk8NYC
12-08-2006, 02:26 AM
I'm game for Aviator on Friday, Dec 22nd.

I think DBNY's still away, I didn't see her at tonight's skating session.

The "Best of Brooklyn" eatery (http://www.nydailynews.com/boroughs/story/468252p-394070c.html) inside Aviator looked really great when I was there last week.
It does have a pizza oven (sorry Jazz!) but they also had salads and (I think) sandwiches.
The staff were still setting up for lunch when I had to leave, so I just bought a yogurt - has anyone tried the food?

Floyd Bennett field is just a bridge away from the Rockaways, but I'm not sure about restaurants in that area. If there are some, they might be closed for the winter.

I know of a few diners, etc. near (but not in) the Kings Plaza Mall, which is also an option. Going to them depends on the attendees mode of transportation - it's not within walking distance.

Ice Dancer
12-08-2006, 05:38 AM
If anyone is interested in a South of England meet up too I would be keen!

renatele
12-08-2006, 08:53 AM
I know of a few diners, etc. near (but not in) the Kings Plaza Mall, which is also an option. Going to them depends on the attendees mode of transportation - it's not within walking distance.

Those of us with cars could take people without wheels to the restaurant and back to closest public transportation, maybe?

HelenC
12-08-2006, 01:01 PM
I was at Aviator this morning. They had a variety of sandwich wraps for $6 that looked good. The pizza looked good too. The cashier thought they might add more hot food in the coming weeks. I asked a local adult skater about eateries that might work for a large group without reservations, and she suggested King's Plaza Diner on Ave U and Kimbel St.

Isk8NYC
12-08-2006, 01:04 PM
King's Plaza Diner on Ave U and Kimbel St.That's the one I like best!

TimDavidSkate
12-08-2006, 01:38 PM
I was at Aviator this morning. They had a variety of sandwich wraps for $6 that looked good. The pizza looked good too. The cashier thought they might add more hot food in the coming weeks. I asked a local adult skater about eateries that might work for a large group without reservations, and she suggested King's Plaza Diner on Ave U and Kimbel St.

I went on Tuesday and they had pizza :mrgreen: I didnt have any bc I already had some KFC :yum:

froggy
12-08-2006, 02:12 PM
sorry i cant make it for friday

..but i often go to the aviator and its a beautiful rink and very nicely insulated. they just opened up their food court too! enjoy!

badaxel
12-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Yippee! This sounds like a great way to kick off winter vacation! I'll have to figure out how to get there on the train, though, because traffic will probably be really bad! I can't wait to meet all of you!
chris

lovepairs
12-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Timmy,

Please stop eating at KFC (not even as a treat.) Their stuff, which is "stuff" and not "food" is LOADED with transfatty acids and they fry everything in talo, both not good for your body, and, especially not good for a skaters body.

I know it tastes :yum:, but it's not good for you. Only telling you, honey, because I care, and, because you're gorgeous and you don't want to ruin that...next time you are at the KFC door, "Just say, NO" turn around and go for the pizza...it's much better for you, and especially if it is fresh and made on the spot. Enjoy!

jazzpants
12-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Timmy,

Please stop eating at KFC (not even as a treat.) Their stuff, which is "stuff" and not "food" is LOADED with transfatty acids and they fry everything in talo, both not good for your body, and, especially not good for a skaters body.

I know it tastes :yum:, but it's not good for you. Only telling you, honey, because I care, and, because you're gorgeous and you don't want to ruin that...next time you are at the KFC door, "Just say, NO" turn around and go for the pizza...it's much better for you, and especially if it is fresh and made on the spot. Enjoy!lovepairs, though I agree with your assessment of KFC on some points, the pizza is not always the best choice either. The sausages has lots of chemicals for preservatives and a LOT of the places uses these God awful cheeses with tons of preservatives (like for instance, I can barely pronounce "Sodium Propionate" (used as a preservative for the cheese.)

As for calories... anywhere from 270 to 360 calories PER 12" SLICE of Pizza Hut pizza!!! (I'm NOT even going go into the SODIUM for each slice of pizza either... Oy vei!!! 8O )

I guess the point is... it's not where you get your food, it's WHAT you eat in the end! If you're going for pizza and are watching your waistline, keep it veggie, watch the crust (thin crust!!!) and watch it on the cheese! If you're going KFC, take out the skin of the chicken, try to aim for the roasted chicken instead of the original recipes and watch it on the fatty dressings and sauces. (And remember, it's NOT fats that you want to try to avoid but SATURATED FATS!!! You do need SOME amount of fat to survive!!! ;) )

(This is an announcement from your fellow foodie who reads EVERYTHING when it comes to the foods she takes in...) ;) :mrgreen:

Going back on subject... Are you planning on coming, Tim? Anyone else coming??? The more the merrier!!! :mrgreen:

Mercedeslove
12-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Anyone from the Chicago area planning to meet up somewhere in Chicago?

mikawendy
12-08-2006, 09:29 PM

Not until April.... ;) ;)

Mercedeslove
12-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Not until April.... ;) ;)

If don't move by then I'm gunna sign up as a volunteer.

sue123
12-08-2006, 11:31 PM

Hehe, I practically grew up at KPD. After my 8th grade prom, a whole group of us went to the diner, and sat by ourselves with all our parents at another table. We all thought we were so cool sitting there in our fancy prom dresses drinking milkshakes and eating fries. Ah yes, good times.

techskater
12-09-2006, 05:10 AM

There are a few of us that skate every day (early AM) in Vernon Hills, including weekends. You're more than welcome to join us.

Also, Wagon Wheel's club exhibition is next Sunday in Northbrook. It's also the 50 year anniversary of the club. Even though I turned down skating this year, I'm thinking of going for the social aspect. :)

lovepairs
12-09-2006, 05:37 AM
Jazz,

Can't you tell from my KFC comment that I would never eat, or recommend to anyone, especially skaters, to eat the pizza that you described. What I had in mind is a homemade pizza with fresh ingrediants and a wholesome (preferably) whole wheat crust, which is way healthier than KFC. Since Timmy is in NYC/Brooklyn he has a better chance of finding what I described in terms of pizza then going to places like Dominos, Pizza Hut, or KFC.

BRAVO to NYC for banning the use of Trans Fats in cooking methods from all NYC restaurants. Hopefully, the rest of the country will follow along.

Isk8NYC
12-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Recap of the NYC Meetup

Friday, December 22nd, 2006

5:30pm - 6:50pm Open Freestyle
Aviator Sports (http://www.aviatorsports.com)
Floyd Bennett Field / Before the Rockaways
Brooklyn, NY

Dining options for apres-skate:
Best of Brooklyn Cafe (Inside the Arena) - or -
King's Plaza Diner (http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=11360447) on Avenue U (Near King's Plaza shopping mall)

The meetups I've been to have been fun!
It's always great to put a name with a face - people aren't always what you imagine!

renatele
12-09-2006, 09:17 AM
5:30pm - 6:30pm Open Freestyle
Aviator Sports (http://www.aviatorsports.com)

Is it 5:30-6:30 or 5:30-6:50? Also, to those who have been there: if the session is 80 mins long, can you pay for 50 min long and get off early, or maybe come on the ice late?

$30 for 80-min session... yikes (and I may not get there in time when it starts, anyway).

jazzpants
12-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Is it 5:30-6:30 or 5:30-6:50? Also, to those who have been there: if the session is 80 mins long, can you pay for 50 min long and get off early, or maybe come on the ice late?

$30 for 80-min session... yikes (and I may not get there in time when it starts, anyway).It's a typo on ISk8NYC's part. It is 5:30-6:50pm!) You could call them and find out if they'll let you in at the 50 min price if you get there by the 50 min mark. They might just be nice enough to you to let you do that. (Here at home, I have been let in for free when I have about 45 minutes worth of public session left...)

Can't you tell from my KFC comment that I would never eat, or recommend to anyone, especially skaters, to eat the pizza that you described. What I had in mind is a homemade pizza with fresh ingrediants and a wholesome (preferably) whole wheat crust, which is way healthier than KFC. Since Timmy is in NYC/Brooklyn he has a better chance of finding what I described in terms of pizza then going to places like Dominos, Pizza Hut, or KFC.Nope I couldn't tell. I took it to mean the place at Aviator where all of TD's friends were eating pizza at. If that was the case, chances are good that they had the type of vendor pizza that I've described and not the nice healthy one that you've just described above.

And given all the wonderful foods that are in NYC, there's LOTS of other routes to obesity even with the trans-fat ban, believe me... ;) :yum:

jazzpants
12-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Bumpity-bump... I think I'm gonna aim towards KPD, just b/c there's a better chance that there is some sort of food for everyone.

sue123
12-11-2006, 07:21 PM
I don't think I'm going to be able to make it. I'm working on the 22, and then going to the Poconos for a ski trip with a few girlfriends of mine. Sorry to miss it, I was looking foward to it, but I haven't seen some of these friends in a long time.

Isk8NYC
12-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Dbny: You know of a place we can all go to afterwards???Bumpity, bump. DBNY - any ideas? So far, we're leaning towards the Kings Plaza Diner.

dbny
12-12-2006, 12:39 PM
I may not be able to make it either, but think the KPD is fine. It definitely has something for everyone.

dbny
12-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Also, to those who have been there: if the session is 80 mins long, can you pay for 50 min long and get off early, or maybe come on the ice late?

$30 for 80-min session... yikes (and I may not get there in time when it starts, anyway).

Does anyone have an answer?

jazzpants
12-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I'm curious too! (Not that I would be late to my own party and all but I am curious...)

Yes, guys! I flew in this morning and arrived in one piece at NYC. (Though no thanks to the clueless StupidShuttle (aka SuperShuttle) guy who drove us from home to the airport!!! He was so late getting us to the airport that we almost didn't make it on board!!! :x :frus: )

I have at least ONE lesson with my wonderful NYC coach for sure! Sadly, I haven't been able to get in touch with the Moves Guru to arrange a lesson and I want one with him before I leave to go home, if nothing else just to say hello and see him. :cry: (FrankR, do you know the story with his voicemail on his cell phone??? Yes, PM me with the answer...)

Look forward to seeing all of you guys!!! :D

HelenC
12-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Jazz, if you wanted to try Central Park, the freestyle is 6am- 10am. For $20, you could stay all day. Our synchro group meets outside the park at 5:30 am tomorrow (Wed) beneath the statues at 59th St and 6th Ave. We practice from 6:00 -7:30 am. The rink is huge and there's plenty of space.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting you Fri night at Aviator!

sk8pics
12-20-2006, 06:47 AM
Sorry I'm not going to make it this time! But have fun anyway! Maybe next time...

Isk8NYC
12-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Understandable, sk8pics. Get well soon.

I'll be there, although I might be a bit late.

TimDavidSkate
12-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Hmmmm.... Anybody taking the subway/bus to aviator? :halo:

renatele
12-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Does anyone have an answer?

Oops, forgot to call. Won't do it now, as I've lost my voice (again).

BTW I'm curious who's coming. I'm still sick, got a new bout of cold (4th straight week of some or other nastiness already!! ), and my son is coming down with cold as well. Dh is working on Friday afternoon, so I'm not yet sure if I'll make it to Aviator, either.

Roll call, please?

badaxel
12-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Hmmmm.... Anybody taking the subway/bus to aviator? :halo:

I was thinking about it... the D train from 125th. But I don't really know how to get there...

TimDavidSkate
12-20-2006, 10:03 PM
oh its accesible from the D? I was taking the 2 all the way to the end and perhaps the bus 8O

jazzpants
12-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Roll call, please?Well, I am obvious coming... any one have driving instructions from South Long Island to Aviator? Please PM me!

Oh, another question... how is parking there? Is it insanely expensive like Chelsea Piers is??? 8O

badaxel
12-21-2006, 06:44 AM
oh its accesible from the D? I was taking the 2 all the way to the end and perhaps the bus 8O

I don't know. Where is this place, anyway? I could take the 2 train...

Isk8NYC
12-21-2006, 10:13 AM
The rink is in a national park called Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn.

Basically, you take the Belt Parkway to Flatbush Avenue South.
Stay on that road (southbound) until the last left turn before the bridge toll plaza to the Rockaways.

dbny
12-21-2006, 10:17 AM
DIRECTIONS:

By car from southern LI -

• Take the Southern State Pkwy West, until it becomes the Belt Parkway
• Take Exit 11S off the Belt Parkway – Flatbush Ave. South – towards Rockaways
• Go South on Flatbush Avenue about 1½ miles.
(You will see Aviator’s fields and football goal posts on left, but the entrance to Floyd Bennett Field is still another ¾ of a mile ahead.)
• Make left at the last traffic light (just before the toll bridge) to enter Floyd Bennett Field.
• You will pass a guard house.
• Take first left (about ¼ mile after you enter Floyd Bennett Field).
You are now heading north on a former runway, parallel to Flatbush Ave. Go ¾ of a mile.
• Make left into parking area when you see the last group of hangars. This is the Aviator complex.

Parking is free. Look for the red airplane and park near it.

By Public Transportation -

• Take the 2 or 5 train to the Flatbush Avenue/Brooklyn College station (last stop)
• Take the Q35 bus one block from the train station – Flatbush Ave. between Nostrand Avenue and Avenue H
• Request the bus to stop across from Aviator Sports and Recreation at Floyd Bennett Field
• Walk across the road, enter the open gate by the Ryan Visitor Center
• The Aviator Sports complex is in the hangars to the left of the Ryan Visitor Center
• Walk around the Ryan Visitor Center toward the Aviator Sports complex

NOTE: The 5 train only operates Monday – Friday during rush hours. The 2 train operates all hours.

Isk8NYC
12-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Details, details.

I called Ryan Hunka, the skating director. I said we were having an Adult Holiday Skate with a bunch of adult skaters that were friends. He'll be there at the beginning, if anyone wants to give him feedback.

Here's the scoop:

The holiday schedule won't be in effect yet. That starts on Saturday.
The freestyle tomorrow starts at 5:30pm and Ryan confirmed that it's not overcrowded.

COST:
If you get on the ice at 5:30pm, it's an 80-minute session and the cost is $30.
If you get on the ice at 6:00pm, it's a 50-minute session and the cost is $19.

I know that you need to get a wristband (at the cashier station) when you pay for the public session, and I assume the same is true of the freestyle. They won't let you on the ice without it because it shows that you've paid.

Roll call: Who's coming to this shindig and hasn't responded yet?

dbny
12-21-2006, 12:02 PM
I think I may make there for 6:00. If I do get there, I can offer a ride to up to 3 people needing transport to the KPD and to the subway afterwards (#2, Q, B).

Emberchyld
12-21-2006, 12:03 PM
:cry: Unfortunately, with work, I'd never be able to get out at any decent time to get into NYC (I work in the Mahwah/Allendale area of NJ and would never be able to get out of the office even before 6)

I was looking forward to meeting everyone, too!

HelenC
12-21-2006, 03:22 PM
I hope to be there by 6:00. Have space in my car for 3 to the diner and subway afterwards.

badaxel
12-21-2006, 05:36 PM
I'll be there, hopefully by five, but I'm going on train, so who knows? I can't wait to meet everyone and see this place for myself!

renatele
12-22-2006, 07:17 AM
Oh, another question... how is parking there? Is it insanely expensive like Chelsea Piers is??? 8O

It is free, afaik (I hope! LOL)

Isk8NYC
12-22-2006, 08:50 AM
I just heard on the news (http://www.newsradio88.com/pages/151098.php?contentType=4&contentId=262238) that the Concorde jet from the Intrepid's Air and Space was moved to Floyd Bennett Field this morning. (The Intrepid's in Bayonne, undergoing renovations.)

I wonder if we could take a "meetup" picture in front of it, or if it will be too dark by the time the session's over?

renatele
12-22-2006, 09:18 AM
I didn't even know there was a concorde on Intrepid! (and didn't know that Intrepid is being renovated, either...). So how many concordes are there in US? I know there's one in Washington, DC.

Isk8NYC
12-22-2006, 09:28 AM
The Concorde was on Pier 86 and you're right: there is another one on display in DC. The WCBS-AM article (http://www.newsradio88.com/pages/151098.php?contentType=4&contentId=262238) said:
Another British Airways plane is in a Seattle air museum, and an Air France version is displayed at Dulles International Airport in Virginia.

They're renovating both the Intrepid and her pier. The Concorde's hanging out until the renovations are done. Cool place for it, I think.

They tried pulling the Intrepid out of her berth on Nov 6th, 2006 (http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/120810.php?) but couldn't get her to budge.
(That makes her a stick-in-the-mud! *groan*)

They dredged and on 12/5/06 (http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/142348.php), succeeded in towing her to Bayonne.
(I took a few good pictures from the school's campus.)

ETA: I just spoke to DBNY. She is very ill and regrets that she won't be coming tonight.:cry:

sk8pics
12-22-2006, 02:01 PM
ETA: I just spoke to DBNY. She is very ill and regrets that she won't be coming tonight.:cry:

Oh, no, I hope she will be all right soon! Please give her my best if you talk to her.

renatele
12-22-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm still debating whether I should go or not - if you don't mind a coughing/nose-blowing body on the ice, and I don't get stuck forever in traffic, I might come.

Sk8pdx
12-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Jazzpants et al --
Have fun everyone! Don't forget the camera. We wanna see those Kodak moments of all the excitement. :D

~sk8pdx

NoVa Sk8r
12-22-2006, 03:27 PM
They're renovating both the Intrepid and her pier. The Concorde's hanging out until the renovations are done. Cool place for it, I think.It's very cool. I was in NYC 2 weekends ago and took the Circle Line Tour (having grown up in the area, I had never taken this boat ride, which my mom took way back in 1962). It passed by this pier, and it was neat to see it from the river's perspective.

Isk8NYC
12-22-2006, 10:40 PM
From tonight's meetup:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/Isk8NYC/SFAviator12-22-2006.jpg
L-R: Isk8NYC, Jazzpants, HelenC, badaxel, Renetale

KPD - too much food, I think, but still very nice.

jazzpants
12-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the picture (and the videos and the wonderful Christmas gift), ISk8NYC!!! :bow: And totally agreed! WAAAAAY too much food!!! HOLY COW!!! I have enough for TWO good size lunches from our leftovers!!! 8O :giveup: :lol: (What's this about New York and having HUGE portions!?!?! I thought California was bad enough... :P )

More tomorrow... gotta go crash now!!! :P (And yes, I think that's the Concorde behind us there!!! :mrgreen: )

ETA: Get well soon, dbny!!! We missed 'ya tonight! :cry:

TimDavidSkate
12-23-2006, 12:56 AM
awesome pic guys... sorry couldnt make it today, I caught a cold :halo:
hopefully next time 8-)

Isk8NYC
12-23-2006, 04:35 AM
I wanted to get the picture up before I went to bed. Now I'm up in the middle of the night wrapping gifts without snoopy kids.

Recap: Jazzpants, HelenC, badaxel, Renetale and I had a great time tonight. Renetale missed the freestyle due to the 2hr drive 8O but made it in time for a huge dinner at the Kings Plaza Diner. As you can see by the umbrellas, it rained. (Good thing we weren't at Warinanco or Pershing Field - those rinks get artic fogs when it rains!)

And yes, I think that's the Concorde behind us there!!! :mrgreen: On the way in, one of the security guards told me "She looks fast even standing still, donchathink?" LOL They're "parking" the jet in the corner of the parking lot, to the right of the little red plane in front of the rink. (As you face the building)
It's very cool. I was in NYC 2 weekends ago and took the Circle Line Tour (having grown up in the area, I had never taken this boat ride, which my mom took way back in 1962). It passed by this pier, and it was neat to see it from the river's perspective.*sings* "The only way to see New York is circle it on the Circle Line ... toot, toot!" "I looooooooove Neeeew Yooooooork" * goes away humming various NYC tourism jingles.*

Get well soon, DBNY, sk8pics, and TimDavid. You were missed and we only gossiped about you a little. :roll: :halo:

miraclegro
12-23-2006, 06:55 AM
Awww, i guess i'll miss it, but maybe i'll be in NYC for my anniversary (24th). I think it's supposed to be a surprise, but i've figured things out. I think it will be the 4th - 6th of January for me.

renatele
12-23-2006, 08:17 AM
Isk8NYC: that picture came out way better than I expected with all that rain, night etc! Do you have it in higher resolution?

Jazzpants, HelenC, badaxel - it was nice to meet you!

I still think I've seen you somewhere before, Helen.

TimDavidSkate
12-23-2006, 08:40 AM
(Good thing we weren't at Warinanco or Pershing Field - those rinks get artic fogs when it rains!)

You go to warinanco? :P

NoVa Sk8r
12-23-2006, 09:04 AM
*sings* "The only way to see New York is circle it on the Circle Line ... toot, toot!" "I looooooooove Neeeew Yooooooork" * goes away humming various NYC tourism jingles.*The helicopter tour of Manhattan is pretty cool, too. 8-) (Except when it's rainy like today.)

sk8pics
12-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Get well soon, DBNY, sk8pics, and TimDavid. You were missed and we only gossiped about you a little. :roll: :halo:

Awesome picture! I am jealous! And what's this about gossip? Wish I could have been there! Walking is so hard right now I can't even imagine skating!

dbny
12-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Awesome picture! I am jealous! And what's this about gossip? Wish I could have been there!

Ditto!

I spent Thurs night emptying my GI system from both ends (yuk!), after having a large meal. I didn't know if it was a bug or not until one of my girls mentioned that their friend had the same thing the night before and they had to drive her home at 4 AM. I had faint hopes of getting to Aviator to watch you all skate, but as I'm still feeling totally wrung out, even that was out of the question. Glad you had such a good time, and I know there will be other opportunities for us to get together.

jazzpants
12-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Awesome picture! I am jealous! And what's this about gossip? Wish I could have been there! Walking is so hard right now I can't even imagine skating!Oh, we had a nice gossip fest at KPD along with a LOT of food! 8O 8O 8O

Don't worry! Nothing but well wishes for both you and dbny to hurry up and get well. And all of us were thankful for your friend that took you to the hospital!!! :P

Now that I'm awake and I'm just randomly putting bullet notes:
It was me, ISk8NYC, HelenC, and badaxel skating. I felt bad for renetele who had to endure the two hours drive only to have to miss the whole FS session. Happy to see ISk8NYC (and appreciated the spin tips too!) :D Happy to put more names and faces to the skatingforums' screen names. :mrgreen: (renatele... (*looking up to her face*) yup! YOU are TALL alright!!! Yup, yup! Then again, I'm Asian! There's a lot of people who are taller than me in the US. :P :lol: )

dbny, sk8pics, TD: Hope you guys get well soon!

Decent ice at Aviator yesterday... I guess just not a type of ice I'm used to. It feels more like a much "finer grain" to me than what I usually skate to. Certainly MUCH better than at Jones Beach's holiday rink -- THAT'S for sure!!! :evil: The great part is... except for one lessons, where Ann Patrice McDonough was coaching a young lady skater on her axel and doubles, we pretty much had the rink to ourselves!!! :mrgreen:

I did see Ryan Hunka coaching a student just as I was looking around for where the ticket booth was to pay my FS fee (which is why you're required to wear a wrist band... apparently you can sneak on to the FS if they're not careful and don't check for your wristband. :P )

And yup, despite my occasional slide into "ghetto speak", my DH is NOT black!!! Dbny has met him and can confirmed that DH is probably the least "ghetto" guy you're gonna meet!!! ("Whacha talkin' 'bout, Willis???" :twisted: :lol: )

Okay, rainy today alright! Good day to stay in and do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL!!! :D (Maybe I'll have the leftovers from KPD for lunch in a bit...) ;)

Isk8NYC
12-23-2006, 04:33 PM
You go to warinanco? :P
I was a member of the Union County Skating Club when I first started competing and I try to skate at Warinanco a few times each season. That club is the only reason I EVER took Ice Dance tests. LOL Somehow, they managed to get me to pass a Dutch Waltz!

Isk8NYC
12-23-2006, 04:36 PM
And yup, despite my occasional slide into "ghetto speak", my DH is NOT black!!! Dbny has met him and can confirmed that DH is probably the least "ghetto" guy you're gonna meet!!! ("Whacha talkin' 'bout, Willis???" :twisted: :lol: )You're killin' me here, Girlfriend! I was just curious because you seem to be quite adept at it! Glad you weren't offended...ROTFLMAO!!!

HelenC
12-23-2006, 06:09 PM
I had a great time meeting these new skating friends!

While on line waiting to buy tickets, the women in front asked for freestyle, and I said I'm doing that too. She introduced herself and it was Jazzpants! We found out we had some skating connections, and we got to chat in Chinese too.

Badaxle is a misnomer- She has a beautiful axle! We were saying she has to change her name.

I met Isk8nyc briefly before, but I found out how funny and fun she is!

Renatel has a fascinating background. I kept feeling that I have seen you somewhere before too.

The sweet potato fries at this diner were delicious!

jazzpants
12-23-2006, 08:02 PM
I had a great time meeting these new skating friends!

While on line waiting to buy tickets, the women in front asked for freestyle, and I said I'm doing that too. She introduced herself and it was Jazzpants! We found out we had some skating connections, and we got to chat in Chinese too.Hey! What are the chances that you would meet an adult skater who speaks Cantonese in America, huh??? :P

Badaxle is a misnomer- She has a beautiful axle! We were saying she has to change her name.Either to "Good axel" to "bad ### good axel!!!" LOL!!! :twisted:

I met Isk8nyc briefly before, but I found out how funny and fun she is!She's alot of fun off AND on the net!!! :P :D :bow:

Renatel has a fascinating background. I kept feeling that I have seen you somewhere before too. I agree... both her and her hubby has a fascinating background! I'm certainly glad to have finally met Renatele, since I've always enjoyed reading her LiveJournals and watching her videos! Who would have know that she's also a computer techie geek like me and ISk8NYC too!!! :mrgreen: (Okay, I don't really consider myself to be a computer geek. I just pretend to be one for a living!!! :P )

The sweet potato fries at this diner were delicious!And my sweet potato fries leftovers are just 2/3's gone! Good GRIEF!!! ALL that leftovers!!! I also have huge amount leftovers from lunch that day. I had this Greek eggplant with stuffed meat dish with potatoes and I'm barely making a dent on that too!!! They're gonna have to roll me on a cart to get me back on the plane back to SF when I'm done here at NYC. 8O

TimDavidSkate
12-23-2006, 08:42 PM
thanks guys, anybody skating tomorrow? im feeling much better

jazzpants
12-23-2006, 09:30 PM
thanks guys, anybody skating tomorrow? im feeling much betterI'm skating Tuesday morning at Chelsea Piers around the 9am session. But I doubt my mind will be on anything but Emanuele and the harness! 8O (Nothing kinky, you naughty kids!!! :twisted: I have a LESSON and he's working on my loop!!! :P :lol: )