View Full Version : USFSA Competitive Test Track

Isk8NYC
12-07-2006, 01:35 PM
This was posted today (on another forum) by Susi Wehrli (US Figure Skating):

Competitive Test Track

I want to share with everyone a new competitive event that we are implementing for U.S. Figure Skating nonqualifying competitions within the coming season. It will be up to the discretion of each competition chair and referee to add this event to their announcement but it will be available to them if they are interested (just like when the spins event and showcase events were added to nonquals). This is going to improve the flow from Basic Skills into the testing structure while encouraging the skaters to participate in local club competitions in a 'fair playing field'. Every level is restricted as to the level of difficulty the skaters can perform in their programs. This track lines up to the ability level of the testing structure therefore encouraging our skaters to continue to test up to their current abilities and be competitive at that level (i.e. an axel can not be performed until Juvenile; a double loop is the highest jump allowed in Novice). We have piloted this type of event and the feedback from the skaters, coaches and judges was all positive.

Rationale for the competitive Test track-

To create a new competitive Test Track in the nonqualifying system that limits the difficulty of skating elements performed in each level. The Test Track will line up the test structure requirements with the competition levels allowing our test level skaters a fair playing field to continue competing and testing according to their current abilities. Skaters may choose to participate in either the test track or free skating track but not both during the same nonqualifying competition. The 6.0 judging system will be used for this new track. This will replace the Basic Skills FS competitive events and direct skaters from the Basic Skills badge levels into the Test Track or free skating track. Adding an alternative track for restricted competition will encourage these skaters, offer them opportunities for success in a competitive atmosphere while they continue to progress through the test structure, gain credentials for future endeavors, and retain membership in U.S. Figure Skating. We will be offering more opportunities to keep skaters motivated along the pipeline and keep them enthusiastic about their abilities.

For a copy of the draft of the Test track, please write to me directly and I will send it for your review. This will continue to be a work in progress but I am excited to get this new format out to the skaters and coaches to encourage continued participation in a fair playing field.

It's Great to Skate!
Susi Wehrli
Senior Director of Membership
U.S. Figure Skating

Very timely, considering the discussion we've had lately about "holding skaters back."

Team Arthritis
12-07-2006, 01:49 PM
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a075.gif
thanks
Lyle

NickB
12-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Is this in any way different from the ordinary "restricted" events? Or do most areas not have restricted events? (I'm used to seeing them in competitions in my region).

icedancer2
12-07-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm wondering when this type of thinking won't be applied to qualifying events as well? I think it's amazing that kids who have axels and doubles are competing preliminary and pre-pre and no test -- I mean, what is that about???????

Of course, small changes are good...

doubletoe
12-07-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm wondering when this type of thinking won't be applied to qualifying events as well? I think it's amazing that kids who have axels and doubles are competing preliminary and pre-pre and no test -- I mean, what is that about???????

The discrepancy between test elements and competition limitations makes more sense when you work backwards from the fact that the top Senior level skaters are landing quadruple-double jump combinations in competition when the Senior freestyle test only requires a double-double combination.

icedancer2
12-07-2006, 05:45 PM
The discrepancy between test elements and competition limitations makes more sense when you work backwards from the fact that the top Senior level skaters are landing quadruple-double jump combinations in competition when the Senior freestyle test only requires a double-double combination.

It's true, but it's hard to see when you are in an area that doesn't have any top-level skaters.

Also knowing that those top-level Senior freestyle skaters doing quad-doubles, etc., have been around sometimes for a very long time in the Senior ranks.

techskater
12-07-2006, 08:07 PM
We had skaters take the Senior FS test with all their triples (except Axel) and did triple for the "double or triple" options and passed the test WAY over.

Watch Intermediate at a competitive Regional (I am in the UGL Region and we have soem great kids) and you'll see a couple triples.

slusher
12-07-2006, 09:15 PM
This is really interesting that USFSA is doing this. It's one of the reasons why I started the holding skaters back thread because test requirements don't seem to match what is done in competition not only in the USA.

Canada has a dual system, test and competitive. Skaters are in the test system until about senior bronze when a skater can do axel and two doubles, then they can switch into the competitive system if they want to go competitive at juvenile or pre-novice and then they have to pass that Competitive test. Gold test requires a double lutz or double axel, but there's ways to pass it with less because you can fail some elements. Senior Competitive on the other hand is double axel and triple and they have to be done in program.

I still run into parents who think that because their daughter has gold freeskate test, that they have the highest test possible, and then I have to explain the competitive structure that is well beyond Gold Starskate test level. ouch. Not to minimize the accomplishment of landing a double lutz, but it's not the same league.

The problem with Canada's format is that in the test system there's no upper limit on what jumps can be done at what level. If you've got your preliminary test (requires flip as highest jump) you can go out and do a double loop combo in Starskate test competition and win a preliminary provincial medal. Canada is considering enforcing the test limits on their "test" or Starskate category, because of the holding back (IMO), but it's in discussion mode at the moment. The test limits now exist on the adult categories, and there hasn't been all that much fuss made about it but we'll see what happens at adult CAN this year.

Isk8NYC
12-08-2006, 02:30 AM
It will be very interesting to see if it CAN be implemented successfully. I know that, in the Basic Skills comps, the "holding back" charges abound.

If this works, the ISI will be at risk of losing many programs and skaters because the USFSA test track for comps will indeed "level the playing ground." That's a major advantage of the ISI over USFSA competitions.

vesperholly
12-08-2006, 03:03 AM

But how many people in THE ENTIRE WORLD are landing quads? 15? How many thousands can land a triple jump? How many hundreds of thousands enroll in private lessons? How many millions learned to skate? Why would you want to implement a test that only 15 people could pass?

I don't know ... I think it is good for nonqual competitions to offer a "test-level" type competition. You usually don't see triples in Intermediate at the local club invitational, anyways. But I can't really get behind having a "lesser" test track for non-competitive skaters.

How many skaters even make it to Senior FS out of the hundreds of thousands who skate? When I went to Governing Council three years ago, I think that Senior level tests were like 2% of all the tests taken in the US. Setting attainable goals for skaters is very important to keep them skating. If you toughen up the standards by asking for double axels and triples, then it's going to be drastically fewer skaters who pass the test.

Speaking as a skater, I like having one level. I think it demeans the skaters who are less talented to give them an easier track. A competitive test stream would only exclude, and at a time when money is tight and enrollment is dropping, why would anyone want that?

Rob Dean
12-08-2006, 05:55 AM
How many skaters even make it to Senior FS out of the hundreds of thousands who skate? When I went to Governing Council three years ago, I think that Senior level tests were like 2% of all the tests taken in the US. ... Speaking as a skater, I like having one level. I think it demeans the skaters who are less talented to give them an easier track.

Two thoughts, and I'll take them in reverse order. Aren't the adult tests already an "easier track"? (Apart from that though, I'd agree that I'd as soon know that I had passed X test as to have to qualify that ... )

As far as tests being passed, I'd be very interested in seeing some statistics from USFSA on how many active members they have who have passed the various test levels. I'm supposing that this would look like a pyramidal structure, but I'd like to know.

Rob

blue111moon
12-08-2006, 07:35 AM
This is really just a new name for the "restricted" events that have been a part of some non-qualifying competitions for several years. It's a good way for skaters who are thinking about testing to try out their programs in front of judges as well as a way for the skaters who aren't interested in going to regionals or sectionals to compete against their peers on a level playing field - you know going in what the hardest elements will be at your level. Since USFSA makes most of their membership money off of the more casual skaters, this is a way to keep those skaters in the competition stream without compromising the higher-caliber feed to qualifying competitions.

I wish they'd kept the name simpler, though. Competitive Test Track is a mouthful and is bound to confuse a lot of people. I also don't like the idea of a mandary "one or the other" clause for non-quals. If a kid wants to skate Juvenile FS and Intermediate Competitive Test, why not let them? So maybe say that you can't compete both tracks at the same level at the same competition? I know that a hefty percentage of the skaters who come to my club's Open like to do multiple events so the more we can offer them, the better - for them and for our income. :)

Clarice
12-08-2006, 09:05 AM
I think this is a pretty good idea, and have already contacted Susi Wehrle about getting a copy of the whole structure. I agree with blue111moon, though, about amending the part about competing at one level or the other to say that you can't compete in both tracks at the same level at the same competition. I think it would be nice to allow skaters to put their test program out there prior to taking the test, while still competing at their regular level. Of course, even that might not be the same program - competitive skaters regularly include extra elements in their tests that are above the test requirements. They wouldn't be able to do that in a Competitive Test Track competition.

Isk8NYC
12-08-2006, 09:14 AM
By doing this, they retain the standard test structure, which is an advantage. The USFSA can always add higher-level tests to challenge the current Seniors, but as some one pointed out, how many skaters would take and pass those tests? Is it worth the administrative effort?

Since I have a different perspective, having been an ISI competitor when the USFSA had no place for adults, I think this is a great idea. Putting these events in a non-qual comp is fine in my book. It makes choreography easier and more creative, judging simpler (albeit back to subjective), and really sets the stage the way a short program does for the seniors. I requested a copy because it sounds promising.

I don't think this "limits" anyone, it gives them the chance to compete based on the test they passed, without raising the bar by having to do elements from higher-level tests. That's really what happens in the standard-track competitions. Plus, it's optional - no one will "force" you to skate these "dumbed down" events. If you hate the idea, never register for one. You vote with your money, right?

However, they definitely need a better name for these "limited" events.
I'd also like to see the ISU's thoughts on this topic, at least in terms of the adult track.

phoenix
12-08-2006, 10:51 AM
By doing this, they retain the standard test structure, which is an advantage.

I agree, I would hate to see the senior test changed to include triples, for example, since so few skaters will ever get those.

And I also like the idea of kids who won't be regional competitors being able to compete on a more level playing field, with a real chance of placing well. Otherwise they're just going into every competition knowing they'll be at the bottom of the heap.

It will be interesting to see how it works out, to see how many competitions implement it.

Clarice
12-08-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm corresponding with Susi Wehrle about this right now, since we're considering implementing it at our summer competition. I have a few questions, and I'll post her replies when I get them. The information she sent me says that the new Test Track events would be open to skaters age 20 and below - I wondered how this would impact Open Juvenile events. Does it replace them, or do you offer both? The current Senior Test Track event says that they are to include at least 4 different double jumps, one of which must be a double lutz, but does not specifically forbid double axels or triple jumps. I asked her for clarification on this. Finally, I asked about the point that was raised earlier, as to whether it would be permissable for a skater to enter on both tracks at the same competition at different levels.

Clarice
12-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Okay, clarification from Susi: There would be three different Juvenile events offered: regular, Open, and Test. It would be up to skaters and coaches to choose where they belong. They will make the correction to the Senior Test description to forbid double axels and triples. A skater cannot compete in both tracks at the same competition, regardless of level. This is to guard against sandbagging.

Isk8NYC
12-15-2006, 01:55 AM
I took a look at the document and IMO the track is intended to prevent sandbagging. I think that having the skater/coach choose one or the other at a competition prevents the screaming about sandbagging that sometimes happens at competitions. Imagine a skater going to the "No Test" and doing an axel and/or a double, then (on the same day) skating the "Competitive Test Track" with no singles other than a Salchow or Toe Loop. There would be fireworks!

The document said that this will replace the Basic Skills Freeskate events at competitions as well as providing a level playing ground for standard-test track. I'm not sure why they're leaving out the adult track tests - I've asked that question. There must be some reason.

While the proposed levels restrict elements, it's not done in the same organized way that the ISI has implemented their test structure. The proposal doesn't call for everyone to do the same five elements with nothing from higher-level tests. I think they want to keep the judging sweet and simple, whereas the ISI judging calls for specific forms and a ref with a good eye for requirements vs. inaccuracies.

This new track will be restricted/grouped by age and skill/test level, but the coaches/skaters still have leeway in determining the skater's test level, whereas the ISI requires the test forms to be on file for possible review. Again, the USFSA is trying to keep it simple by not having registration of tests for the below-pre-prel skaters.

Interesting stat:
On average, about 6,000 skaters take the USFSA Pre-Preliminary tests each year.
I would have expected that to be much higher.