View Full Version : Adult Friendly Rinks/Coaches-MD

skatergirlva
12-07-2006, 12:25 PM
I just moved to Maryland. Loops had gotten me some info. from some people in Maryland on adult friendly rinks/coaches, but in the move I misplaced it. I just moved to Ellicott City. Any suggestions on rinks/coaches would be helpful.

I'm working on my Novice moves (forever) and I need to get a gold program together (as long as my axel is working still).

Thanks! :)

flo
12-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Hi,
I skate primarily at Northwest ice rink in Baltimore. It's pretty adult friendly. It's a very old and somewhat small rink. The Club is Ice Club of Baltimore, where I was the vp for a few years. It's a nice club with 1 session on Saturdays. It's a good bargin for families and if you're taking group lessons. If not, it's better to do the rink's fs sessions.

Mikawendy skates at Mt. Peasant, also in the city. They have done considerable work over the years to be more adult friendly. The club, Baltimore Figure skating club is very dance oriented and has never had a reputation of being adult friendly unless you have a kid and dance.

Ice World is out in Abbingdon, to the west which may be a bit far for you. The club is not very active as the rink has many fs sessions available. The rink offers several fs sessions and use to have an adult only session but has since opened it to all. The best sessions thee are the ones late at night. There's very little monitoring of who's on the ice, and at the open sessions there can be everything from a tot to sr., or those that think they are olympic bound.

To the south are some good rinks - The Gardens and Piney Orchard with active fs schedules.

The closest to you may be Columbia. It's an ok rink, but I think they may be closed in the summer. The club is very active with lots of competitive kids and some adults.

As far as coaches, there are some very good ones in the area who are happy to teach adults. I've found most of the coaches very supportive of the adult program in general and good to work with.
enjoy

Debbie S
12-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Hey skatergirlva, I just sent you a PM. :)

manleywoman
12-07-2006, 02:53 PM
My favorite coaches at the Gardens Ice House in Laurel, MD are Libby Wilkinson and Nicole Brown. There are other great ones too, but they are way busy, way expensive or hours are not condusive to adults.

skatergirlva
12-08-2006, 07:03 AM
Thank you everyone for your information. It's very helpful.

MusicSkateFan
12-08-2006, 09:32 AM
If you get thte chance come down to Arlington to the new ice at the Ballston Mall. There is a Huge amount of adult recreational skaters on the Wed night adult public. We also have the Adult freestyle right now Wed at 7pm. The staff is in the learning process but the ice crew is very good!

WFSC is having an Adult Party Skate on Thursday Dec 21! Check out WFSC.net
info is there!

My Coach, Sergey Korovin, is teaching part time at Ballston and continues at Mt Vernon.

lovepairs
12-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Hi Skatergirlva,

I skated down in your area for a year, and found The Gardens at Laural to be the most professional scene of all. I'd head south and try it out; I think you'll like it! Not, too much happening at The Gardens for adults (I recall one adult session with just a few adults...this was at night.) However, the skating kids are really top notch down there, very polite, and really embrace hard-working adult skaters. My partner and I have very fond memories of training down at Laural.

I'm from the Philly area where we have some really great clubs and rinks that are adult friendly, but I might be moving back down to the Baltimore area in the near future. My partner and I are also working on Novice Moves, and will be skating at Ice World in Bel Air, too. So we hope to meet you someday! Can't miss us..we are Cooper and Jones. You can see us under the "Athletes Profile" section of www.adultpairskating.com. When you are on our page, scroll down for a picture of us, and when you see us, please say hello. Good luck with the Novice Moves...pattern #3A is a blast!

LoopLoop
12-08-2006, 06:59 PM
If you get thte chance come down to Arlington to the new ice at the Ballston Mall. There is a Huge amount of adult recreational skaters on the Wed night adult public. We also have the Adult freestyle right now Wed at 7pm. The staff is in the learning process but the ice crew is very good!

My Coach, Sergey Korovin, is teaching part time at Ballston and continues at Mt Vernon.

MSF, skatergirlva just moved FROM Virginia to Ellicott City. She had the same coaches that I do in Fairfax (but she's a better skater than me)!

skatergirlva
12-09-2006, 07:46 PM
I'm not a better skater...Remember...we're the perfect skater if you could combine our strengths. :)