View Full Version : 2006 achievements

jazzpants
12-07-2006, 12:30 AM
It looks like it's that time again! Just wanted to start this year's thread of your accompliments for 2006 and what are your goals for 2007!

Admittedly, some of my goals for this year I'm still embarassed about it b/c I STILL haven't gotten it yet and I don't even wanna tell 'ya how many years I've been working on it. But overall this year is a MILESTONE YEAR for me and I see at least 3 brand new goals!!!

Achievements:

OMG!!! I FINALLY, FINALLY MADE BRONZE!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: Bronze Moves test was the REAL BEAR! I was injured when I was originally scheduled to take the test and then I had scheduling issues with the test chair. I FINALLY got to taking it in August and barely passed this test, but I've finally defeat the Bronze Moves monster! The big surprise for me is testing Bronze FS this year. I really wasn't ready to take it b/c of the inconsistent loop. I was surprised I passed all three judges on the Bronze FS test! Needless to say, it's a HUGE MONKEY off my back!!!
I competed at my VERY FIRST SECTIONALS and got the Silver!!! Not bad for a debut in Sectionals!!! ;)
Camels last year is better this year! I have done a few camels but they aren't consistent and my ability to do them depends on quite a few factors. But when I do get it, all is balanced and at peace!!! :mrgreen:
Spirals are better but not consistently good yet! I'm still working on it and at times it does get close to decent (at least from what I see in the reflection of the plexi-glass.)
Right after I passed my moves test, I seriously started working on a lutz this year!
(Not always consistent but...) I am starting to kicking thru on my waltz jump. Occasionally I can even get some height to go with it!!! WHAT A FEELING when I do nail that waltz jump and get some height!!! (Hoping someday it will be high enough where I can actually start working on axels... but I'm not pressing my luck here...)
Am playing around with Silver moves but not seriously working on it, other than the spirals! LOL!!! (MSF: Hey, I tried to talk my coaches into letting me do moves but the primary coach says, "OOOOOH, NO!!! We're still recovering from Bronze Moves! It's be the next millenium before you pass Silver Moves!!! :evil: NOT 'til you catch up on your jumps and spins will we start working you on those..." *shrug*)
Hmmmm? Well, I survived Moves Guru last year!!! :twisted: :lol: (Had to throw that in for all those Moves Guru students... ;) Seriously, I'm quite envious! You guys got a WONDERFUL moves coach there!!! I still want to take him home with me to SF... along with my wonderful NYC coach!!! :mrgreen:Goals for 2007:

Land a loop consistently!!!
Land a flip consistently!!!
Get a lutz!!!
Get a good camel spin and MAYBE a camel-sit.
Skate FASTER and prettier!!!
Skate with more CONFIDENCE!!! The fear factor is starting to crack a bit. I'm not as afraid on falls, but I got a ways to go to finally conquer that fear.
STAY HEALTHY
Start on Silver Moves
Get a good start on back sit
STAY HEALTHY
SAVE $$$ for AN. I don't knowwhich one. I'm hoping for Chicago, but it's likely I'll end up going to whichever one is in 2008. (I hope it's at where I hope it's at. ;) )
SAVE $$$ for new boots. My purple ones are getting old and I may or may not get new ones. I might just fill in the tougue to get a bit more support in 2007, but I definitely need to start saving for new purple boots.
And did I mentioned STAY HEALTHY??? :lol:

Rusty Blades
12-07-2006, 03:07 AM
Oh so this is what Jazz does when she's home sick in bed? ;)

2006 Achievements:

In January (of this year) I couldn't skate at all! I am now working on backward edges and XOs, 3 Turns, Mohawks, and footwork.

2007 Goals:

To put together a nice program and skate well in my first competition (Canadian Adult Nationals) in March. Maybe I will test that program after and get my first official "level", then I am just going to goof around for awhile and have FUN on the ice!

Casey
12-07-2006, 03:43 AM
2004 Achievements / 2005 Goals thread (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=16278)
2005 Achievements / 2006 Goals thread (http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=19112)

Let's see now, my goals for 2006 were as follows:

- Backspin that doesn't suck.
- Axel or any double jump.
- Sitspin.
- Camel spin.
- Daily exercise - on days I don't skate I intend to do stretching or upper body exersizes. Skate most weekdays.
- Pass pre-bronze and bronze tests. Maybe pre-preliminary and preliminary too?
- Stay motivated and focused, even when the summer comes (I wonder if I have reverse seasonal affective disorder).

Well, 2006 has definitely been a pretty slack year for me as far as skating goes. I've had no coaching for a year and a half now, went through several periods of skating only rarely, skate issues, huge employment and living situation changes, and other excuses...

Sit spins and camels have come along a little bit, but haven't been practiced nearly enough to meet my goals. I accomplished virtually nothing in 2006, but that's okay, I got new skates, and skated often enough to keep my skills about the same, even a small bit better.

2007 is, decidely, to be a year of great progress for Casey's Skating...I'm going to start having regular lessons with a new coach soon, and really applying myself. So, though I didn't really get any closer to my 2006 goals this year, I will accomplish them all in 2007, and am raising the bar as well - I must catch up:

- Good, consistant backspin.
- Sit spin as low as possible.
- Consistant and good camel spin.
- At least some beginning ability to do back sits and back camels, as well as any sort of change foot and combination spin.
- Consistant lutz.
- Axel, double salchow, double toe, and double loop.
- Skate at least 5 days a week, consistantly.
- Take 3 lessons a week, consistantly.
- Better flexibility.
- Better upper body strength.
- Pass the following tests at a minimum: Pre-bronze, pre-preliminary, bronze, preliminary, silver, juvenile, and bronze in pairs.
- Make good headway in the pairs world with sk8pdx.
- Practice pairs every weekend possible.
- Learn the first 6 dances well enough to pass the first two dance tests.
- Begin competing, prepare for AN 2008. If possible, compete in both freestyle and pairs.

Sounds a bit lofty, but I'm confident more than ever. I will accomplish all of this and more...2007 is going to be a great skating year. :D

Oh, and this humors me (from my 2005 goals):
- Learn to spin on one foot!!
I have that one down pretty well - 34 revolutions in a scratch spin is my current record on video... :)

tidesong
12-07-2006, 04:29 AM
Its ironic that these threads are done towards the end of the year when my best skating period is in the middle of the year. And everything is usually at a standstill around now.

Can't remember if it this year or last year that my flying spins improved?

But I got a consistent I spin, a beginner beilman spin, a beilman spiral position this year.

And had a short but sweet period where my double salchow consistency went over 50%

Next year:
I want that double salchow consistency to stay throughout the year... not just during my peak training period...gah!
I want the double toe already!
I want the double loop too.
I want consistent change of edge spins with NO travelling!
To stop looking at the ice
Butterfly and death drop (started practising them off ice alot more now)

sceptique
12-07-2006, 05:13 AM
Weel, from 2005/2006 thread:

- get all my singles and at least 3 different spins + backspin

hmmm.... here I'm sort of on track.... meaning I can do each of those at least once on a good day.... it just never happens to be a competition day, or a test day, or for that sake, when my coach is watching!

- pass NFM and NISA Level 1

got that

- start competing in pre-Bronze

now I need to add: "... and finish at least second from the bottom!"

- and maybe start thinking about axel and doubles?

well.... that's what I'm still ding here... thinking. That's about it.

For 2007 I have only one goal: start scoring above 2.0 in competitions.

And a few more, also important:
- figure out whether to stay in my job for another year;
- get a proper skating photo web site up and running;
- get my level 1 coaching license;
- launch the adult skating programme and finally start handing out all the marketing materials for it that gather dust around my house.

Mrs Redboots
12-07-2006, 06:09 AM
No tests for me; Husband took and passed Level 1 Bronze Elements and Free Skating tests (today!).
He competed his free programme three times, winning twice and is now British Champion at the Men's Elementary Age Group III category.
My artistic programme did very little this year; I think I got one 3rd place with it in a closed Club competition.
As a couple, we won one free dance class in a walkover, and took Bronze by default with it in one competition after a spectacular crash.
We won two separate compulsory dances, neither enough to give us overall Gold medals in the class in question. We took two Silvers and a Bronze in compulsory dance classes this year.
We took Bronze in the British Adult Championships, the first time we haven't finished last in that competition!
So overall a very pleasing year.

sceptique
12-07-2006, 07:14 AM
[LIST]
Husband took and passed Level 1 Bronze Elements and Free Skating tests (today!).

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

WELL DONE!

TimDavidSkate
12-07-2006, 07:32 AM
Achievement 1 ~ somewhat recovering from surgery/injury to compete at Halloween Classic

Achievement 2 ~ passing my Silver Moves (September) & Silver Free (November)

jenlyon60
12-07-2006, 07:49 AM
1. Passed Silver Tango on the 4th outing.

2. Tested American Waltz twice and got invited back for a 3rd attempt.

3. Survived competing Killian/Blues at EG Pickens Pro-Am. Not pretty but survived without falling.

Sonic
12-07-2006, 07:49 AM
When I stepped onto the ice on 3 January 2006, returning after 18 years, my goals were to make friends and keep fit. I thought I would do ice dance, with the aim of *possibly* doing competitions in about 4 years' time. I simply thought I would not have the ability to free skate because jumps and spins would be beyond me/

Little did I know how this new (well, rediscovered) hobby would snowball into a semi-obsession, often skating at least 4 times a week, starting competitions, and free-skating and dancing. Not only skating, but talking about it with others online!

So as for my initial goals, I have more than achieved them - met a bunch of great people, got slightly fitter and lost a stone in weight (14 pounds).

Back in the summer, I set myself the goal of working on lutz before Xmas. I am just getting to grips with flip so am nowhere near achieving that one, but overall when I considered what I have achieved compared to what I thought I would achieve, I supposed I haven't done too badly.

S xxx

Sonic
12-07-2006, 07:54 AM
Oh right, hear are my goals for 2007:

- Sort out basic forward and backwards skating, spin entry, stop looking down, and get edges on my back cross-rolls
- finish passport, work on MIFs and past first test
- Get a lower sit-spin
- Get more than 3 revs in a camel
- Start learning a camel-sit
- get flip, lutz and start working on Axel
- get forward dances to a decent standard and work more on backward
- compete in club competition in spring/early summer
- STOP beating myself up about lack of progress!

flo
12-07-2006, 08:44 AM
12th AN.
Skated with Rob!
First international event, and a gold in gold pairs to boot!

Next year - enjoy and have some fun with music.

Skittl1321
12-07-2006, 09:13 AM
My accomplishments are minor compared to many of yours, but I'm proud of them:
In 2006 I:
-Started skating lessons for the first time in 16 years (I had previously passed Basic 1).
-Passed Basic 3, Basic 4, Adult 2, Delta, and Basic 7
-Gone from not being able to do a 2 footed spin to being able to get 6 rotations on a very beginner one-footed spin.
-Allowed my blades to leave the ice through a bunny hop, a shaky ballet jump, a beginner waltz jump and a beginner toe loop.
-Focused on developing basics, enough that my edges have been complimented by 2 different instructors.
-Selected a coach who I will start lessons with in the new year.

In 2007 I hope to:- skate at minimum 2 times a week. (Tuesday- 1 hour practice and 30 minute lesson, Saturday- minimum 1 hour practice)
- turn my one footed spin into a real scratch spin, entrance and all
- take my basic waltz jump and toe loops into true jumps
- pass Adult Pre Bronze Moves in the Field
- work with and observe other instructors to become a good tots instructor

jazzpants
12-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Oh so this is what Jazz does when she's home sick in bed? ;) Yeah, surprising I did it while hackin' a lung or two out... :halo: :giveup: (Nah, I was bored. You can only watch so much soap operas, trashy talk shows and infomercials. The Food Channel's stuff wasn't that great either. :( But I got LOTS of rest last night! :) )

Annabel: Congrats to Robert!!! :bow:

Isk8NYC
12-07-2006, 10:40 AM
See Jazz - you should have let me mail you those tapes. Then you'd have something interesting to watch. Well, get healthy - we want to see you on the ice later this month.

Apparently, I didn't add any goals to last year's thread, but here are my results for 2006:

Coaching Achievements:
Have several freestyle students, in addition to several regular private students.
Teach group lessons at two different rinks; was asked to teach at two others! 8O
Have a 90% "re-sign" rate on group lessons! WooHoo! (I'm a bit proud of that; parents ASK for their kids to be in my groups!)
Passed the PSA Basic Accreditation exam! I'm somebody!
Attended several professional development seminars and conferences. Learned a bunch of stuff and can't wait for more!

Skating Achievements:
Actually got some coaching on the tests
Resolved knee and foot issues, lost (some) weight
Regain control of my various body parts to skate more steadily
Improved footwork somewhat; learned new techniques
Started working on USFSA MITF and Freestyle test preparation

2007 Skating Goals:
Regular lessons; might add some dance instruction (might not ;) )
Take and pass one or more of the d**n USFSA MITF and Freestyle tests!
Pass the ISI Gold Judge certification exam
Attend a PSA Pace or National Conference (haven't decided which yet.)

Its ironic that these threads are done towards the end of the year when my best skating period is in the middle of the year. And everything is usually at a standstill around now. I thought we did these threads in the Spring as well - you could just wait...

Skittl1321
12-07-2006, 10:40 AM
- Pass the following tests at a minimum: Pre-bronze, pre-preliminary, bronze, preliminary, silver, juvenile, and bronze in pairs.
- Learn the first 6 dances well enough to pass the first two dance tests.
)

WOW! That is a lot of tests! Good luck! It would be really exciting if you do it... are there even that many test sessions in a year in your area? (Are you having to do MITF and Freestyle for each level? Or do you have moves done already?)

Now I feel completely unambitious because pre-bronze mitf is my single test goal. I don't even think I'll be able to get both MITF and freestyle done this year.

sk8rabbi_07
12-07-2006, 10:46 AM
My 2006 Achievement was I pass my Senior Gold Moves in the field test!:mrgreen:

jazzpants
12-07-2006, 10:59 AM
See Jazz - you should have let me mail you those tapes. Then you'd have something interesting to watch. Well, get healthy - we want to see you on the ice later this month.Yeah, yeah! I know, I know. Then again, I was sorta half watching the TV shows and half sleeping anyway. See... if I had gotten the tapes, I would not be RESTING! I would be watching the tapes!!! :P :lol:

And come hell or high water, I will be skating with you NYC guys later this month. (Maybe it's time for me to set a date and time huh? It's looking like Friday last afternoon, early evening at Hackensack according to the poll. FrankR... be there or be triangular!!!) :mrgreen:

Have a 90% "re-sign" rate on group lessons! WooHoo! (I'm a bit proud of that; parents ASK for their kids to be in my groups!)
WOW!!! That's impressive! Then again, when you gave me some tips this summer, I suspected that you would be a good coach. ;)

flying~camel
12-07-2006, 11:09 AM
2006 Achievements:

1. Went to my 1st ANs! (I came in last/10th place, but who cares - I went to ANs! :))
2. Finally got new skates
3. Competed interp for the 1st time ever at Buckeye (and got 2nd place!)
4. Overall improved jumps, spins & footwork
5. Got an outside spread eagle!
6. Started an off-ice aerobics regiment
7. Had a blast skating with my friends!

2007 Goals:

1. Get that blasted lutz consistent!
2. Skate better at ANs (even if I don't place, better, I really want to SKATE better than I did in Dallas!)
3. Start working on Silver moves more seriously
4. Start working on axel & 2sal more consistently
5. Continue having a blast skating with my friends!

Debbie S
12-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Is it that time of the year again? 8O ;) :lol:

My 2006 goals were:
1. Pass Bronze MIF and FS.
2. In the jump category, get a flip, a better loop, and maybe (at least try) a lutz. In the spin category, continue to improve my back scratch, get a sit-change sit, and maybe (who knows?) a camel.
3. Land all of my jumps and do well on my spins at NYI, and not fall or otherwise make a fool of myself on the 8-step mohawk in the Bronze MIF event. Start climbing my way up the Bronze ladder.
4. Get an interpretive program.

OK, well......

1. Yep! Passed Moves in May, FS in August. Finally! And more important, I became a better skater in the process. :)

2. My loop is better - the takeoff is more correct, I get more height on it, and I land it pretty consistently. Of course, there's still improvement that needs to be done. I now have a sorta flip - technically correct and recognizable, but needs more work to actually be able to put it in my program. I have started working on the lutz, mostly doing setup exercises, and tried it a few times - still a ways to go. As for spins, my backspin is much improved and pretty consistent - generally I'm getting about 4-5 revs. I am working on sit-change sit, have done some in practice, tried it in comp. Camel is still a work in progress.

3. I skated OK at NYI, completed all my elements except the backspin, and did not fall on the 8-step in the MIF event. Unfortunately, I finished last in FS, but came out of the cellar at May Day with a 2nd place finish (out of 5). Then at Wilmington in July, I got my first ever 1st place in Pre-Bronze/Bronze CM (3 skaters total). :P As for climbing out of the cellar in Bronze, well....at the Chesapeake Open, I was last with all last place ordinals, and at HC, I was last with mixed ordinals (actually the majority of the ordinals weren't lasts, and I tied with someone else for the next highest spot, but lost the tiebreaker, as always - lol). Perhaps at NYI, I'll actually not finish last.

4. No, haven't had time or money yet for this. I thought about signing up for a number in the holiday show, which would have given me something to use, but due to a combination of circumstances, I decided not to. Maybe I can still get an Interp program before AN, if I go.

My 2007 goals:

1. Improve all jumps and get a consistent flip and lutz.
2. Get a consistent change-foot spin, camel, and continue to improve sit and forward scratch.
3. Pass Silver MIF (this is an early candidate for Goal Most Likely To Be Rolled Over Into Next Year - lol).
4. Go to AN if I am able, and skate well and have fun.
5. Skate better, with stronger elements and more speed and flow, at comps.
6. Get an Interpretive program, especially if Goal #4 is achievable.

And last but not least, see Sk8pics back on the ice! :)

jazzpants
12-07-2006, 01:13 PM
And last but not least, see Sk8pics back on the ice! :)AMEN to that!!! :bow: :mrgreen:

Scarlett
12-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Last year my goals were to:
1. Land a loop
2. Get a consistent forward spin
3. Test/pass pre-bronze MITF and FS

WELL....
1. I landed a loop once. Have not been able to replicate it. I am most definitely not an edge jumper.
2. Get a consistent forward spin. Accomplished as well as a more consistent back spin and the start of a camel.
3. Haven't even tried yet. The waltz 8 and the new 3 turn pattern will be the death of me.

Goals for 2007
1. Test/pass pre-bronze MITF and FS
2. Land my loop consistently as well as land my flip and lutz which believe it or not are closer than my loop.
3. Manage a proper sit spin and get my camel to be more consistent.
4. Get my first program and consider competing it.

Hannah
12-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Accomplishments:

I started skating! :mrgreen:

Goals (from tiny to lofty):

Bend my knees more, and quit staring at the ice!

One single jump.

Scratch spin.

USFSA freestyle 1, and pre-bronze MIF.

vesperholly
12-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks Casey for the links, but I guess I didn't participate in the 2005/2006 one. D'oh!

2006 accomplishments:

- I LANDED MY AXEL! (I'm certain this was one of my goals, since it has been oh, for about three years now.) Not only that, but it looks like it's here to stay - I've skated 5 times since I started landing them last Thursday, and I've landed at least one each session. I did two for my coach in a lesson Tuesday. The ice was really horrible today and I felt crappy, but I still managed to land one. :mrgreen:
- I tested Junior MIF in November. Didn't pass, but the goal was just to test in the fall - passing on the first try would've been a bonus. I did come close, and two of the judges had a few moves over passing. Dratted power pull-rockers!!!

2007 goals:

- NUMBER ONE PRIORITY: Pass Junior MIF
- Pass Silver FS and maybe Gold FS
- Land clean double sal
- Work in earnest on double toes, not just once every four months

Hannahclear
12-07-2006, 05:43 PM
2006 Achievements:

Passed Bronze Moves and FS
Placed first in some adult events
Practiced my program consistently

2007 Goals:

Land that axel (I am sooooo close)
Pass Silver Moves and FS
Keep my current silver program and train for 08 Adult Nats, wherever they may be, even if I actually have to fly (major phobia).
Do three program runthroughs per week
Skate program with some inkling of artistry

doubletoe
12-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Well, I failed to achieve most of my goals for 2006.:( When did a year get to be so much shorter? :?? Among my "retries" are: not passing my Intermediate MIF test, my double sal actually getting LESS consistent than it was last year, my double toe being closed for repairs, and not even working on the double loop at ALL. And the flying camel-back sit is nearly as inconsistent as it was last year.

BUT . . . In 2006 I DID land my first clean double in competition, and I have actually surpassed my goal for my spiral sequence, which included mastering a completely new spiral. :D

icedancer2
12-07-2006, 06:08 PM
I guess I didn't participate in any of those former threads. My goals this year were brief -- to get my Silver DAnce and Silver Singles/Pairs judge appiontment.

I got the Singles/Pairs appointment in November. Still waiting on dance.

No tests, alas.

For 2007:

Silver Dance appointment
Bronze Moves
maybe one pre-Gold Dance tested (and passed! -- thinking STarlight or Paso).

TO quote jazzpants: STAY HEALTHY
Get Stronger!!

looplover
12-07-2006, 06:13 PM
ooh fun! OK I'm new, so nothing for 2005/2006

2006 Achievements:

-Passed ISI FS4 test FINALLY
-Finally competed for first time and on my 39th birthday
-Got the loop consistent
-Finally can do a sit spin with skating leg parallel
-Got my first serious skating injury (hey, I felt like one of the group)

2007 Goals:
-Get flip consistent
-Get back inside three turns looking GOOD
-Get lutz and get it consistent
-Get a camel - sit combination
--ok get the camel first
--Backspin - at least 8 revolutions and fast
-- AXEL. I will do this by New Year's Eve of 2007, and that is THAT.
--compete more
--test ISI FS5
--test Adult pre-bronze moves and freestyle
--test adult bronze moves and freestyle

(that's kind of a lot, isn't it)(it's early though)

jazzpants
12-07-2006, 06:25 PM
BUT . . . In 2006 I DID land my first clean double in competition, and I have actually surpassed my goal for my spiral sequence, which included mastering a completely new spiral. :DAnd I SAW IT TOO!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (Well, at least the double sal in competition part.)

Don't forget that you've competed at your very first Championship Adult Gold event at Sectionals too!!! I think that's a goal. :mrgreen: (Some of us only dream about competing at that level.) *sigh* :)

doubletoe
12-07-2006, 06:36 PM
And I SAW IT TOO!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (Well, at least the double sal in competition part.)

Don't forget that you've competed at your very first Championship Adult Gold event at Sectionals too!!! I think that's a goal. :mrgreen: (Some of us only dream about competing at that level.) *sigh* :)

Awww. . . Well, the right to enter the Champ. Gold Competition came automatically when I passed my Gold tests in 11/05, so I filed that under 2005 goals (hmm. . . I did so much better last year!).

Mercedeslove
12-07-2006, 06:40 PM
I started skating in March

since then I have landed my waltz jump, salchow, toe loop, and half flip. I also made it to level freestyle two. I got to skate at Rockefeller which was a long time dream for me. I skated in my very first ice show.

For 2007

Pass at least freestyle III. Land my loop jump, have a better spiral. Learn my sit spin.

daisies
12-07-2006, 06:55 PM
2006 was a rough year for me. I had been off the ice from June through October of 2005 with a herniated disc in my thoracic spine, and it was very difficult to get back into it, but I did and was able to compete at the 2006 AN in Interp -- and even place 4th in a tough group! I was proud of that accomplishment after what I had been through, although I didn't feel I skated well. I could tell from watching myself on video that I'd been injured; I was slow as molasses!

Then in August I lost my job of 14.5 years amid a corporate merger. I was fortunate to find a new job within six weeks, but the new job has completely different hours that are not skating-friendly. So it's been a challenge to keep a regular skating schedule. I only average one hour once or twice a week as of now.

So in 2007 I hope to keep a regular skating schedule of at least one hour three times a week -- even if it means dragging my butt out of bed at 5am two mornings a week! I also intend to compete at my 13th AN, in Interp only. (I had hoped to do FS, but there's no way!) After AN I might try to get my FS program together for 2008 and start ice dancing again. I stopped dancing over a year ago, maybe even longer than that, but it would be good to get started again on the pre-Gold dances.

(On a non-skating note, I intend to move in 2007 so that I am closer to my new job. It takes me 45 minutes to get there in the morning and between 55 minutes and an hour and 15 minutes to get home! My old job was literally one block away from my house, so I am losing a lot of valuable free time with the new commute!)

pennybeagle
12-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Looks like I didn't post in 2006, but I did really well with my 2005 goals in two years!

Get my axel back Up until last month, check!
Land a double sal. Check!
Pass the Gold MIF. Passed!
Compete in my first Adult Nationals, and have a good time regardless of how I skate Check!
Test some of those dances I learned in 2004 Passed Prelim, Pre-bronze, and bronze!
Figure out how to do that flying camel Check!
For fun: learn a cool or unusual spin (e.g. broken leg, crossfoot, some form of catchfoot-camel or layback, etc) Back layback!

Other accomplishments of 2006:

Passed Intermediate Moves!! :mrgreen:
Landed ONE double toe! (Only one, only once, but it was verified by my coach and I'll TAKE IT!
Skated a competitive program without falling! (nevermind that I two-footed the axel and popped the lutz...I was not a human zamboni!)

That's really encouraging, actually, since I've felt so miserable about skating recently.

So, for 2007:

Qualify for finals at nationals
Test and pass Gold FS
Consistent outside spreadeagle-axel
Land more double toes
Land a double loop
Pass Fourteenstep and Foxtrot
Make my novice moves presentable (they don't have to be testable... just not the embarrasing mess that they are now)

techskater
12-07-2006, 08:15 PM
I don't even want to talk about 2005-6 competitively as it was not my best season by a long shot! :frus: But after ANs, I have worked to become a "prettier" skater, gotten my double toe consistent (I have landed it 87 days in a row now), gotten some consistency on the double loop, and landed about 10 double flips this year, which were all on my list of to dos.

das_mondlicht
12-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Didn't join the group until late Nov...

2006 (2nd half of the year) was an eventful year,
Made up my mind to come back from a skating hiatus(09/2005-09/2006)
Started ice-dancing private lessons(late 09/2006)
Broke elbow because of forgetting blade guards(10/2006):frus:
Started skating on luxury freestyle ice once a week when taking lesson(10/2006)
Passed Pre-Bronze MIF(12/2006)

Have some simple goals for 2007,
To have more time skating...(a huge wish)
To pass Bronze MIF and start Silver MIF
To pass Prelim and Pre-Bronze Dance(or even Bronze dance?)

Luna

coskater64
12-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Last year goal was to move up:
So, passed Intermediate FS and competed at Master's Novice all year even though it turns out I was destroying my hip.
Managed not to come in last at Novice but it was close on occasions.
Found out what was wrong; fixed the hip and currently recovering.

Goals for 2007
Currently leg pressing 125 lbs would like to get up to 250 lbs.
Be able to do pointe without the barre for support.
Pass pre silver and silver dances solo and partnered.
Pass Jr moves
Get double sal and toe back and solid.
Compete against only myself, teach Dr. who fixed hip how to do a counter in hockey skates!:D

Skate@Delaware
12-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Ha, Ha! I looked at my post from last year and I didn't list any goals....maybe I should just do the same....nah!

For 2007 (either before mid-April or after our rink-closing-for-summer-hiatus-I'm not picky):

-get a recognizable sit-spin
-not embarrass myself at my competitions (as in forgetting part of my program as I did at HC :oops: )
-find the trick to centering my spins and do it!
-land the loop on my right foot (and only my right foot!)
-get better with my footwork (neater, faster, more variety)
-get a backspin with more than 4 revolutions, consistently!!! (hey, a girl can dream can't she?)
-speaking of dreaming, getting the part of a snowflake in next year's Nutcracker on Ice....:( which I didn't get this year (sniff!) (sniff!) I'm ok...

And continue to be relatively healthy, have fun on the ice, keep my decent job, my family (and a family that skates and understands the call of the ice) !

mikawendy
12-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Wow, a year does go by so quickly.

2006 Goals
--Compete at New Year's (check), HC (check), and perhaps others (nope, though I did do 3 club skating shows and plan to do 2 more)
--Test Bronze MIF and FS (check and check)
--Improve flip (better rotation and height), start working on lutz, and improve my combos involving loops (as in land some of 'em clean!) (yup on all 3 counts--and flip is higher this year but entry is really wonky). I'd eventually like to start working on axel and walley, but that's probably way down the road... (...still waay down the road)
--Improve backspin, including as part of change foot spin (did improve--in both directions--but it's not lovely yet when I do it in combo)
--Learn sit-back sit (sorta--it's not pretty yet--camel-back sit is working better for me, as is camel-sit)
--In general, improve what my left foot can do! (Now if skating involved two RIGHT feet, then I'd be good to go!) (still working! :) )
--Perhaps do an interpretive program (not yet)
--Learn more one-foot turns (only played around with some counters)
--And most of all, have fun!!!!! (Yup!!!!)

2007 Goals
--Finish working w/coach on rechoreographing program so that it challenges my current skills and gives me something to work toward
--Keep working away at silver moves, with a goal of testing something this year
--Improve back sit, change-foot spins, and attitude spin
--Add more height to all jumps; land lutz-loop in competition; start work on axel and walley
--Again, perhaps do an interp program
--Learn more one-foot turns (one day I want to do 'em all)
--Still have fun!!!

slusher
12-07-2006, 09:28 PM
I've never posted in the previous threads although I thought I did:

accomplishments in order of my perceived importance:

Made up with my dance coach and am enjoying skating again

a far #2
passed my junior bronze freeskate. This was work and I didn't enjoy it much. I incurred some overuse injuries as a result.

a surprised #3
went to four competitions when my resolution was to do one, an "easy" one. Heh, none of them were easy but oh the friends I have made across the country.

For 2007:

Test and PASS the European Waltz and do it really well so that people fall over in awe and the judge drops her pencil with astonishment but manages to tick "pass" on the sheet.

Sk8pdx
12-07-2006, 09:56 PM
2006 successes:
I can do an "almost scratch spin"
I can do an "almost layback spin"
Someone might recognize my "almost sit spin" too.
I succeeded once in a 3 rev back spin.
I succeeded once in landing a loop from a RFI 3. (a little cheated though).
Passed Pre-Bronze MIF and Freeskate
Improved the flow and power of skating overall
I participated in at least 1 competition (ISI FS3)
I have embarked on the beginnings of a pairs skating journey.

2007 Goals:
Land Loop (a *real* one from a mohawk entry)
Land Flip
(I will also add Land Lutz in here just for fun as well)
Succeed in a change-foot spin
Improve Scratch spin
Improve Layback spin
and sit spin too.
OH and how could I forget camel spin too!
Pass Bronze MIF and FS
Prepare for Adult Pac Sectionals and Adult Nat'ls for 2008 (jazzpants, can you at least give me a hint on where you think it might be? That way I can start saving up $$ now. Please? it will be our dirty little secret):halo: :P
More exposure to competition and performances
Increase exposure into the world of throw jumps, death spirals, star lifts and more magic of pairs skating. :bow:

Casey
12-07-2006, 10:40 PM
WOW! That is a lot of tests! Good luck! It would be really exciting if you do it... are there even that many test sessions in a year in your area? (Are you having to do MITF and Freestyle for each level? Or do you have moves done already?)
I have taken no tests yet. I might skip the adult track. The point is that I want my skating to be at a Juvenile level by the end of the year. I may end up not pursuing dance depending on my dance partner...but I'm quite hopeful about pairs, which is a bigger long-term interest anyways. My goals are crazy, I know. But well, I'm a crazy person. And I think I can do it if I really apply myself and progress like I was for my first year of skating.

newskaker5
12-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Ok so I started skating in April this year, so I can review goals from last year, but:

Accomplishments:
passed thru ISI 2
Landing waltz, toe-loop, flip, salchow consistently
Jump combo- waltz toe loop
Scratch spin getting there (it was finally nice and 2 weeks ago got crappy again:( )
2 rev on a sit spin
Learning lutz entry
Getting my 1st "program"
Learning pre-pre and pre-bronze moves

Goals:
Land all single jumps thru axel
Learn a real scratch spin, backspin, and camel
Learn a "change-foot" spin
Take and pass pre-bronze MIF and FS
Attend a clinic/camp
"Maybe" compete in a comp

Lets hope I can actually accomplish those!

newskaker5
12-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Ok so I started skating in April this year, so I can review goals from last year, but:

Accomplishments:
passed thru ISI 2
Landing waltz, toe-loop, flip, salchow consistently
Jump combo- waltz toe loop
Scratch spin getting there (it was finally nice and 2 weeks ago got crappy again:( )
2 rev on a sit spin
Learning lutz entry
Getting my 1st "program"
Learning pre-pre and pre-bronze moves

Goals:
Land all single jumps thru axel
Learn a real scratch spin, backspin, and camel
Learn a "change-foot" spin
Take and pass pre-bronze MIF and FS
Attend a clinic/camp
"Maybe" compete in a comp

Lets hope I can actually accomplish those!

Rob Dean
12-08-2006, 06:20 AM
I started the year off-ice with no prospect of being anything other than a skater's parent, so I had no skating goals. Given that, things haven't turned out too badly. :)

Accomplishments for this year included:

Finding a new coach and developing a regular practice schedule
Passing Preliminary Dance plus one of the pre-bronze dances
Improving basic skills a lot

For next year, I'd like to:

Test through bronze dances
Test pre-bronze moves and at least start working on the bronze moves
Enter some sort of competition, even if "just" a pro-am with my coach
Think about looking for a competition partner at the appropriate modest level

Rob

Skittl1321
12-08-2006, 07:05 AM
My goals are crazy, I know. But well, I'm a crazy person. And I think I can do it if I really apply myself and progress like I was for my first year of skating.

Crazy, yes. But we'll be rooting for you!

LoopLoop
12-08-2006, 06:58 PM
I don't think I posted in last year's thread.

2006 Achievements
Landed double sal a handful of times
Landed double loop a handful of times
Passed preliminary and juvenile pairs tests
Learned a change-edge spin
Learned a flying reverse sit (not that it's GOOD yet of course)
Improved positions on most spins

2007 Goals
Consistency with the axel
Go back to working on the doubles
Correct death spirals (FI and BO)
Learn another throw jump
Learn FO camel
Do at least 2 level 2 elements in pairs at AN

Tessa
12-08-2006, 09:25 PM
2006 -- passed preliminary moves

2007 -- would like to pass pre-juvie and silver moves, get a program together, get a layback, a lutz and have flip and camel be more consistent.

aussieskater
12-08-2006, 10:06 PM
I just reviewed last year's thread and discovered that I started it and cleverly didn't put any 2006 goals in my entry (smart thinking, 99! :P )

Achievements this year: started dance with DH and discovered that I absolutely love it. Fortunately, he's enjoying it too. We have a recognisable Dutch, Canasta, Fiasco (and it is), Rhythm Blues and Swing. (None are as recognisable when attempting them at the speed of the music, sadly.)

We're not ready for competition yet and won't be for a while, but we have been dragooned into our Xmas show next week as representative of "adult beginner dancers" (and ain't "beginner" the truth!)

Goals for 2007:

* Stop looking down!
* Bend knees more. More! MORE!
* Get the beginner dances up to speed. Then try to make them elegant 8O !
* Stop being so turn-challenged - get those turns up to speed.
* Coach has said she wants us to enter the dance section of the adult comp in Oct (?) next year 8O 8O
* Get a ::whole:: lot faster. Last week, we taped a practice of our little 30-sec spot for the Xmas show, and man, are we s-l-o-w!! An arthritic snail climbing over a glacier would have us beat.

Terri C
12-09-2006, 07:10 AM
Had to wait to contribute and several of you know why!

2006 Achievements:
Started to work on combination spins like sit change sit.
Came close to landing flip
Did sitspin for the first time in competition without bailing out
Landed loop consistently in competition
Retired old freeskate (NYI) and debuted a new freeskate this year (May Day Open)
Actually did a Artistic program with a very tough group and won a bronze medal, instead of coming in last when I skate this program for Interp. This program is now big time retired!!

And the biggest, fattest achievement came yesterday:
I PASSED BRONZE MOVES!!!!

badaxel
12-10-2006, 06:54 PM
2006 Accomplishments:

started landing at least a few axels every practice
landed an axel at a competition (okay, it was in warm-up, but it was still a high pressure situation)
passed Silver MIF and FS
learned Gold and Intermediate MIF
learned flying camel, broken leg spin, camel-catch and layback- catch spins
put harder footwork in my program

Petlover
12-11-2006, 11:31 AM
2006 Accomplishments:
Finally have a good salchow and actually enjoy it!
Mastered 1 foot spin off of 1 foot
Can do back left outside 3-turn
Mastered half loop to pivot combination

2007 Hope to Achieve:
Master loop jump
Master fiesta tango
Get scratch spin back
Get sit spin
Lose 10 pounds

Morgail
12-14-2006, 04:57 PM
2006:
-I started skating again (after 10 years)!
-I passed Pre-Bronze Moves & FS
-I got my waltz jump, toe loop, salchow, and half jumps looking decent.
-I got my loop, lost my loop, got my loop, dislocated my knee and subsequently lost my loop, then - finally - got my loop again.
-My 3-turns look a heck of lot better than they did last January.

2007 goals:
-Test & pass Bronze Moves and FS.
-Test Silver Moves.
-Test & pass the first 3 dances.
-Learn the next 3 dances.
-Get the jumps I have higher, and improve both the take-offs and landings.
-Land the flip and the lutz.
-Maybe start working on the axel?
-Improve my waltz-toe combo, and get a couple other combo jumps.
-Improve the extension on my spirals.
-Center my scratch spin.
-Get a good, low sit spin (and get back up out of it!).
-Get a few revolutions on a camel and maybe a layback.
-Get at least 5 revolutions on my backspin.
-Do a forward scratch-back scratch combo.

TwirlGirl10
12-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Got first at Regionals (open Juv)! I didn't get a new jump BUT all of my doubles through double loop are a MILLION times better than they were last year
My spins also improved overall
I have had a pretty good year :)

Skittl1321
12-14-2006, 06:41 PM
I have a new achievement to add to my list. I finished the USFSA basic skills program!

I started in March by "testing out of" Basic 1 and 2 in a quick private lesson and taking a group adult 3-4 lesson, which I passed both 3 and 4. Then in May I took Adult 2, followed by ISI Delta in August, which the rink then evaluated me to be put in Basic 7/8 and I took a private lesson to pick up the missed skills. This Tuesday I passed both Basic 7 and 8! So I am ready to be in Freestyle 1!!!!

crayonskater
12-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Learned (but not mastered) the first three Preliminary dances.

Team Arthritis
12-15-2006, 10:31 AM
OK I've been thinking about this a lot. I thought that I had no accomplishments, but I do:
1) heck I'm back to skating after getting major back surgery, that's got to count.
2) less toepick drag - jump runouts I can now get off my toepick farely quickly and MO flip entrance, has much less fearpick drag. OK still takes too long to get off of toe on FI3's, sigh
3) BI3's still S**K but some are actual 3 turns.
4) biggest improvement is I'm atleast getting a glimmer of gathering my body together up over my skating foot (hence #2 and #3)
Lyle

xofivebyfive
12-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Achievements for 2006:

Um, well I finally asked to take skating lessons.
I learned how to skate backwards.
I learned how to spin. [1 ft, scratch, sit and camel]
I can do a waltz jump, flip, loop, salchow, and lutz.[That's right, no toeloop for me]

Goals for 2007:
Do well in my first ever competition at Lake Placid in OH MY GOSH TWO WEEKS. I'm so nervous, can you tell?!?
I want to be able to land the axel, and get at least one double jump. I think it's very realistic, and possible.
I want a much much better back scratch and back sit.
I want to learn a back camel.
I want to pass at least one USFSA test. PrePre I think.

Isk8NYC
12-29-2006, 04:17 AM
Do well in my first ever competition at Lake Placid in OH MY GOSH TWO WEEKS. I'm so nervous, can you tell?!?That competition is a blast - have a great time! I used to go every year with friends.

kateskate
12-29-2006, 04:31 AM
Achievements 2006

Passed level 3 elements and free skating, level 5 compulsory dance, levels 3 & 4 free dance and interbronze field moves
Moved up a level to intermediate in free skating and dance and surprised myself by winning 4 golds, including the British Adult Intermediate solo dance, and one silver out of the 5 dance competitions I competed in, and one bronze for free skating out of the 2 competitions I competed in.
Managed to finally get my change foot sit to a reasonable level on consistency
Included an axel and a double salchow in my programme (next year I'll work on landing them both!)
Went to Oberstdorf for 2 weeks and was not too intimidated by the kids flying around and managed to hold my own somewhat.
I think I have increased my speed this year.
Generally,I have a wider variety twizzles, turns and steps having spent a large part of the year on field moves. I can now do some brackets, rockers, choctaws and counters - most of which eluded me in the past!
And although I failed the test, the fact that I was ready to test the bronze field moves in November is an achievement, having only started working on them in August and being unable to complete any one exercise at all back then.

Goals for 2007

Pass bronze field moves! It is imperative I pass!
Pass level 6 compulsories
Maybe try and get levels 5 and 6 free dance and original dances so I have a complete level 6 dance test
Compete at a competition abroad!
Even though the test is far off, start working on the level 4 elements
Land a proper axel
Ensure consistent rotation on my double salchows
Start working on double cherry flips consistently - although this will only be allowed once I have that axel
Improve the quality of my spins - make sure I actually practise spins as much as jumps
Work on flexibility
Stop looking down when I skate and learn to present more
Make all my single jumps higher and faster and neater
Flying camel

icechica88
12-29-2006, 12:11 PM
landed my double salchow and double toe loops

passed my intermediate moves in the field
mastered laybacks
learned how to do spread eagles in both directions
imporoved the quality of my spins
skated on a nationally competitive synchronized skating team

fmh
12-29-2006, 12:54 PM
achievements in 2006:
For me the 2006 season was rather bad :P I started off the season with a knee injury, which made all my jumps lower and my spins more painful. i must not have been too bad though because i won a big award at reigionals in january :) My provincials wasn't too good, and I won't talk about it :P. I guess I got through it and didn't deimprove as much as I could have. passed sr silver skills..one left to go!! I went away on vacation with my family in the summer, and when i returned to intense summer school i descovered that I grew 4 inches and couldn't do anything anymore. If it wasn't a canada games (i would have liked to have the summer to improve in) year I would think it would be one of those good experiences, because since then I;ve had a much better attitude on the ice. I managed to regain my jumping and spinning ability by sectionals and beat my score from last year by a lot in my short, but all my jumps were still inconsistant and such so i sort of didnt do too well in the long. shortly after sectionals I landed my first double axel :):):).. so anyways everything is falling into place now, but a bit later than i hoped :P

goals for 2007-all are reasonable i think
-consistant double lutz--land one in competition!!!!!!!!!! most important thing
-all level 4 spins and footwork
-double axel for provincials!!
-be consistant and with good quality!!!!
-pass my novice competetive test
-pass gold skills, freeskate, and interpretive
-pass more dances
-skate away the entire summer!!yay
-triple jumps!!!
-Make the A-team and get the traksuit :):):):):)

Leda
12-29-2006, 06:47 PM
2006 accomplishments::)
-Scratch spin!!! =D
-Salchow, waltz jump, toe loop, ballet jump
-3-turns look like 3-turn. xD
-partial sit spin :roll:
-got more confidence on the ice

2007 goals
-get faster. :P
-do a loop jump. (work in progress...)
-go to my first competition! (I've never been to one so I want to realy bad! :])
-do a good sit spin!
-get spreading eagle down

oh and one goal for the future...;)
-Learn an axel!:twisted: I can't wait!

black
12-31-2006, 12:48 PM
2006 Achievements:

Stepped onto the ice for the first time ever on 6th March. Started with a "Galaxy Gliders" learn-to-skate group lesson (weekly 1/2 hour) Really enjoyed it :D and soon after started taking a Friday off work to practice. At the time I did not have my own skates so I was using the rental plastic hockey boots or "death wellies" as somebody referred to them as :twisted:. I switched to (rental) figure skates in June, this ment I was also able to join the Ice Skate Club. This was on a Friday evening, so I started taking a Tuesday off work instead and attended a "Coffee Skate" group lesson also. 24/25 June I attended a weekend skate camp in Nottingham. At this point I had ordered some figure skates but they had not yet arrived :cry: so I had to use their rentals. It was a fun weekend, though the off-ice was gruelling. My new skates finally arrived and I first skated in them July 14 8-) . Having my own skates allowed me to skate on patch time, which I started to do - initially on a Sunday. 12th November I started taking 1 to 1 lessons (freestyle weekly 1/2 hour). November also saw me getting up at 5am 8O occasionally to get an hour of skating in before work. In December I stopped doing the Galaxy Gliders lessons and attending the Ice Skate Club since I felt that they were no longer beneficial. I did more before work practice patch sessions instead.

Now your probably thinking "what a lovely story, but what can you do?" At this stage I would prefer not to say since, with skating it is better to see for yourself; I plan to make a video in the New Year. This is partly because my parents have never seen me skate; (and would like to) they live quite a way away and at present my mother is unable to travel the distance. I'll let you know when I get something uploaded...

2007 Goals:

Carry on improving as I have done. Try to fit in more ice time and possibly more coaching time, budget permitting. I have no ambition to compete, though would be interested in taking some levels at some point. I just like skating.