View Full Version : Parking on Hockey Circles

Skittl1321
12-06-2006, 05:07 PM
In the coaches letter thread I said something about including rink etiquette-
including the phrase "don't part on hockey circles"

Someone asked what that meant and I replied "to stay on a single hockey circle for an extended period of time as if you own it."

A few people replied how this is a problem! It definetly is... however, sometimes you need the circle to practice something.

So here's a question- how long is too long to stay in one place (really any one place) to practice a skill. Let's say a "low level" freestyle- with a few high level basic skills skaters- (so some people do still really need to practice elements in place) that is a 1 hour session of medium crowd. (So we are all thinking the same thing).

I'm really curious. I often need hockey circles, will stay a few minutes, skate somewhere else, then go to a different circle. But I don't yet skate on freestyle, so no one is running programs, and really since it's public ice, the only reason I don't stay in the same place is because I know there are a few other skaters like me who try to ignore the public session and get actual practice in. Once I switch to freestyle, how can I use these? Is 3 minutes in one place to long? five?

manleywoman
12-06-2006, 05:28 PM
I'd say 7-10 minutes.

There's one kid at our rink who will practice every move she does on the same blue line. Every one. For an hour. It's only 20 feet she's using up, but it's extremely disruptive to everyone else.

(I finally "accidentally" lightly knocked her out of my way one day after many many tries with my music on to get a section of my program done that she kept interrupting. She stays out of my way now!)

Award
12-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Maybe it's better to just tell them that it's not good for them to occupy the area in that way. And then if they keep doing it, then resort to other things like consulting rink attendants etc.

Bill_S
12-06-2006, 06:26 PM
There's one kid at our rink who will practice every move she does on the same blue line. Every one. For an hour.

Hey, I KNOW that person! ;) The beginners usually don't have a sense of what is proper if they aren't told.

In our case, the "offender" traveled to a busy rink after our rink closed for summer and learned her lesson the hard way. In the busy rink, filled with skaters doing doubles, it didn't take long for someone to crash into her. She hasn't claimed the blue line here since. It's been much more pleasant this season.

The rink bears some responsibility for making rink etiquette known. It's up to the coaches or rink attendants to explain the rights-of-way to inexperienced skaters. Most of the very young haven't driven a car to gain common-sense awareness of traffic that we take for granted.

Our local rink doesn't have a formal policy stated, and that's unfortunate. One of the clubs in Columbus has each skater read over the freestyle ice rules and sign them before they can join or renew their membership. That's a clever idea.

Terri C
12-06-2006, 07:36 PM
I've seen the same thing, but worse!
There are two little girls that skate our freestyle sessions on Wednesdays and skate it as if it was a PUBLIC SESSION!!
Oh and what about those kids who insist on spinning in the corners, especially if you are starting a moves pattern? I've almost taken a few out on power threes!

mikawendy
12-06-2006, 08:30 PM
I've seen the same thing, but worse!
There are two little girls that skate our freestyle sessions on Wednesdays and skate it as if it was a PUBLIC SESSION!!
Oh and what about those kids who insist on spinning in the corners, especially if you are starting a moves pattern? I've almost taken a few out on power threes!

One time I was skating my program and was doing a back crossover in preparation for a spin. A little girl who was nearby skated INTO my path behind me and outside of the circle and skated INTO me (before she moved toward me, I was plenty far enough away to execute my spin). It was scary. Luckily, I saw her just as I was stepping forward into my spin and didn't step forward.

sk8rabbi_07
12-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Well i dunno about u guys, but im one of the higher skaters in our club (2nd highest to be exact) :) and we have the little girls who have just moved up into the level I skate at and stay in the corners. Usually they know better and watch out for me and the other girl who is a level higher then me when we do our programs but sometimes they are just not aware of whats around them.

Our coach makes all of us skate to my friends music (4:03 long) as fast as possible, and if she catches them doing it again they have to do it again. So when we do our programs if we don't move.. we give em' a little nudge or if they're talking we skate right between them. Seems mean but it gets the point acrost and they usually don't do it again for a while. :twisted:

Debbie S
12-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Oh and what about those kids who insist on spinning in the corners, especially if you are starting a moves pattern? I've almost taken a few out on power threes!And the kids that goof off in the first hockey circle area. This past Saturday, there was a little girl there who (I'm not kidding) was crawling on her hands and knees (I wasn't listening carefully enough to know if she was making barking noises too :roll: ). This kid always feels that she owns the ice and refuses to move for anybody - if you say "Excuse me" she just stares at you and rolls her eyes, and she frequently skates into jumps and spins within inches of others or in their jump or MIF paths. She continued to do this for a while and I finally went around her, but close, to do my MIF patterns, saying "Excuse me" in my stern (former) teacher voice - lol. She was completely oblivious, of course, as was her father who stood at the entrance watching her and laughing (some friends of hers were around too - they might have been playing some sort of game). A bit later, I overheard him say to someone, "She has nothing to practice, and when she has nothing to do, she gets bored" (like it was the coach's fault or something). I'm quite certain that the kid had things to practice, and if she didn't, then how about getting off the ice? :twisted:

manleywoman
12-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Maybe it's better to just tell them that it's not good for them to occupy the area in that way. And then if they keep doing it, then resort to other things like consulting rink attendants etc.

Oh, everyone had done all that already. Even her mother had been told to tell her, which she did. Didn't work until she understood that she could get clipped and perhaps she should pay attention.

Mrs Redboots
12-07-2006, 05:45 AM
At our rink it's usually the coaches who monopolise the hockey circles. Us PBI who want to do a figure-8 of runs or crossovers usually end up having to wait!

Skate@Delaware
12-07-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm quite certain that the kid had things to practice, and if she didn't, then how about getting off the ice? :twisted:
This is what I said to the girls who were "playing" on the ice during club time and disrupting our lesson last week. Skate and work on your program or moves; stay out of the way of those in programs or lessons; if you have nothing to work on get off the ice! Because 2 adult skaters joined together in Killian position can hurt a 60-pound child...and I told them that next time we would not yield to them (as we have been doing).

Last night, I only had to mention to one girl that we were ready to skate our dance and she would be in our way-she moved. Don't know how long it will last, though. This will be brought up at the next club meeting, as it's become a safety issue.

Isk8NYC
12-07-2006, 11:55 AM
At our rink it's usually the coaches who monopolise the hockey circles. Us PBI who want to do a figure-8 of runs or crossovers usually end up having to wait!Guilty as charged. Broke myself of the habit about a month ago. I was trying to "stay out of the way" with my students and we kept ending up MORE in the way. Now, I'm a wallflower for the most part and I shift each student here and there on the ice during his/her lesson.

We have separate Stroking/MITF and Freestyle sessions, but many skaters practice their moves on the freestyle session. I guess it saves time and money. No plans to have high/low freestyles, though. That would be really nice.

Skittl1321
12-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Don't know if this is good or not- but one of the coaches I took a 30 minute lesson with in Dayton (when all I did was stuff on circle, swizzle pumps on circles, edges on circles, crossovers on circles) would have me do one skill on one circle, stroke to the other edge of the rink, do stuff on a different circle, around the rink to another circle.

Is it more annoying when someone is always on a circle- but not the same one (because they are still in the way, but you don't know where they will be) or less annoying because at least they aren't always in the same place.

I don't use circles as much as I used to, but I still kind of follow this for where i practice, use a circle, go to the other side of the rink to use a line, middle for spins, different circle... Granted I'm on public sessions, so I could just as well sit in the middle of the ice and throw snowballs, but I'd like to practice appropriate ice etiquette for when I move to freestyle sessions.

Rusty Blades
12-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Coaches often like to use the circles for lessons so I seldom use them (except for "precision"). I like doing most things on a deeper edge so I create my own smaller imaginary circle out of the way. You really should try doing cross-overs on the goalie's circle - it's FUN!

Mrs Redboots
12-07-2006, 12:39 PM
You really should try doing cross-overs on the goalie's circle - it's FUN!But those are always being used for 3-turns (you have to turn at the TOP of the goal circle, and you have to hold the edge back to the blue line) and Mohawks, ditto. Or figures....

Mercedeslove
12-07-2006, 12:54 PM
I never really claimed a spot. I tend to skate around a bit, if I see a small opening I'll take the time to practice a jump or a spin, then again skate around and wait for an opening.

Ellyn
12-07-2006, 01:29 PM
I'd say, if you feel the need to spend most of a freestyle session working on hockey circles, do move around from one circle to another. But most important, pay attention to what the other skaters are doing.

Inevitably there will be times when more than one person aims for the same part of the ice at the same time, and at least one of them has to abort what they're doing and try again. Don't feel bad when someone has to stop to avoid you a first time. You have just as much right to the space as they do (unless their program music is playing). But then let them have the next turn.

It's better to spin in the middle than in the corners, but watch out for skaters in program, or working on footwork sequences or advanced moves that might come through the center. You'd probably be better off slightly off center than right on the center line.

The circles at 1:00 and 7:00 around the rink are where most skaters will put lutzes, and for the basic lutz setup they're coming into the corner backward and can't see who's there except by looking over the shoulder. If you see a skater coming backward on the diagonal toward the corner for the jump, try not to be near them when they're ready to jump.

Some skaters, especially if they jump clockwise, will do lutzes in the corners at 11:00 and 5:00. Counterclockwise jumpers may put double salchows or other jumps on those circles as well.

If you see a skater come around two or three times and have to abort the jump each time because you're in the way, it's time apologize and move somewhere else. And don't just silently move to the corner diagonally opposite because the skater might have the same idea and move to the other end at the same time.

Also be aware of Moves in the Field patterns. A lot of them especially at the lower levels travel counterclockwise around the perimeter of the rink, curving back and forth toward the boards and the center on curves that will vary in size depending on the specific moves and the size and skill of the skater. (Most dances follow similar but less predictable patterns, in case people tend to practice dance on the freestyle sessions.) If you see a skater trying to start a pattern with some intro steps across the end of the ice toward that corner, try to get out of the way until they've finished the first lobe and moved on down the ice past the hockey circle. If you see that the skater has to abort the move and goes back to the center or other side of that end of the ice to restart the intro steps, just stand at the boards or move to a completely different part of the ice to let them get their pattern started the second time.

Award
12-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Oh, everyone had done all that already. Even her mother had been told to tell her, which she did. Didn't work until she understood that she could get clipped and perhaps she should pay attention.

That is true! Some people just don't learn until they learn it the hard way hehe

doubletoe
12-07-2006, 07:22 PM
I'd say, if you feel the need to spend most of a freestyle session working on hockey circles, do move around from one circle to another. But most important, pay attention to what the other skaters are doing.

Inevitably there will be times when more than one person aims for the same part of the ice at the same time, and at least one of them has to abort what they're doing and try again. Don't feel bad when someone has to stop to avoid you a first time. You have just as much right to the space as they do (unless their program music is playing). But then let them have the next turn.

It's better to spin in the middle than in the corners, but watch out for skaters in program, or working on footwork sequences or advanced moves that might come through the center. You'd probably be better off slightly off center than right on the center line.

The circles at 1:00 and 7:00 around the rink are where most skaters will put lutzes, and for the basic lutz setup they're coming into the corner backward and can't see who's there except by looking over the shoulder. If you see a skater coming backward on the diagonal toward the corner for the jump, try not to be near them when they're ready to jump.

Some skaters, especially if they jump clockwise, will do lutzes in the corners at 11:00 and 5:00. Counterclockwise jumpers may put double salchows or other jumps on those circles as well.

If you see a skater come around two or three times and have to abort the jump each time because you're in the way, it's time apologize and move somewhere else. And don't just silently move to the corner diagonally opposite because the skater might have the same idea and move to the other end at the same time.

Also be aware of Moves in the Field patterns. A lot of them especially at the lower levels travel counterclockwise around the perimeter of the rink, curving back and forth toward the boards and the center on curves that will vary in size depending on the specific moves and the size and skill of the skater. (Most dances follow similar but less predictable patterns, in case people tend to practice dance on the freestyle sessions.) If you see a skater trying to start a pattern with some intro steps across the end of the ice toward that corner, try to get out of the way until they've finished the first lobe and moved on down the ice past the hockey circle. If you see that the skater has to abort the move and goes back to the center or other side of that end of the ice to restart the intro steps, just stand at the boards or move to a completely different part of the ice to let them get their pattern started the second time.

This is just about the best summary of freestyle guidelines I've ever seen! :bow: Is there any way we could post this permanently, since this is a question that gets asked often?

jazzpants
12-07-2006, 07:39 PM
This is just about the best summary of freestyle guidelines I've ever seen! :bow: Is there any way we could post this permanently, since this is a question that gets asked often?ISk8NYC, Can Ellyn's post be a stickie??? LOL!!! :lol:

And I can't help when reading the title of the thread that there should be a freestyle police ready with a ticket for repeat offenders of the "Hockey Circle Parking" rule!!! LOL!!!

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/figuren/k065.gif

Isk8NYC
12-08-2006, 01:49 AM
New sticky thread for Freestyle / Patch guidelines is HERE (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=22246).

Terri C
12-08-2006, 05:24 AM
I have one good question:
How would this pertain to doing moves in the field? Several skaters at my rink, myself included have had a frustrating time trying to moves patterns on freestyle sessions!
Please keep in mind that very few rinks offer moves only sessions, so freestyle is really the only other time one could practice moves.

Team Arthritis
12-08-2006, 11:21 AM
I have one good question:
How would this pertain to doing moves in the field? Several skaters at my rink, myself included have had a frustrating time trying to moves patterns on freestyle sessions!
Please keep in mind that very few rinks offer moves only sessions, so freestyle is really the only other time one could practice moves.

This is always hard! I too am open to any suggestions. The only trick I have is that I wait until a higher level skater starts moves and then I jump in behind him/her.
Lyle

flo
12-08-2006, 11:40 AM
I put this on the other post. We do have some skaters who think that just because they are in a pattern, be it dance, moves or a program, that on the first or 100th time they do it, they have right away. One even asked a fs skater who was in a lesson, if she would not land her jumps at the end of the rink as that was in their pattern!:roll:

I think of moves as a program. Just as a skater in a program, I go out of my way to give them space the first time they go through the pattern, or if they're in a lesson. After that it's much the same as a skater practicing their program - look out for yourself, and I'll look out for you.

We had a pair team who would stop and chat in the middle of the rink and other places not at the boards. Chat at the boards or in the lobby!

For moves practice - be flexible and understand that as with someone's program you may have to adjust your pattern to get in the practice. The best time I've found to get a whole pattern in is the first part of the session. Everyone is reasonbly fresh and looking! After this I do segments of moves patterns.