View Full Version : 'Tis the Overcrowded Season ...

Isk8NYC
12-04-2006, 11:48 AM
There's a chill in the air and the public sessions are getting crowded. I know we had a pretty good discussion about freestyles, which made me think about the public sessions.

In our rink, they set up cones around the middle circle, which is supposed to be used for private lessons and/or figure skaters. At our Staff Meeting, we discussed making it a large oval when needed, which is great! That way, two coaches can teach spins at a time safely. Depending on the guards on duty, this works pretty well. Until the rink "hires" nine-year olds to kick the coaches out! LOL (http://www.skatingforums.com/showpost.php?p=298092&postcount=18)

Parents with tots often want to hang out in there because no one's whizzing around. Yet, the middle circle's pretty dangerous because of spins and turns.

When there's a birthday party, the rink cones off one end of the ice - basically the two hockey circles, and uses that space for party lessons. I've found that the figure skaters and/or toddlers migrate to that space to get out of traffic. (As long as they don't disturb the party group, it's usually okay. Sometimes the birthday kid's parents get mad, then everyone gets kicked out.)

AshBugg44
12-04-2006, 11:57 AM
I would just like to let everyone know that between the hours of 12:15 - 5:00 last Saturday, we had a whopping 823 people skate!

Bill_S
12-04-2006, 12:04 PM
I would just like to let everyone know that between the hours of 12:15 - 5:00 last Saturday, we had a whopping 823 people skate!

GASP! - that's an amazing number of people. Were sessions free or something? And where is this rink so I can avoid it?;)

Isk8NYC
12-04-2006, 12:22 PM
I would just like to let everyone know that between the hours of 12:15 - 5:00 last Saturday, we had a whopping 823 people skate!8O Was that one session and did everyone stay for the whole time? Horrible.

Rockefeller Center limits the number of tickets sold, which is why there are always long lines "in season." Small rink = small admittance = demand = big $$$ (I only skate there after 1/15, when the tree comes down.) There should be a fire department occupancy limit enforced.

After reading about the rinks that collapsed due to snow and tornadoes this past year, I shudder to think what would have happened if the rinks had been overcrowded.

jazzpants
12-04-2006, 01:21 PM
8O Was that one session and did everyone stay for the whole time? Horrible.

Rockefeller Center limits the number of tickets sold, which is why there are always long lines "in season." Small rink = small admittance = demand = big $$$ (I only skate there after 1/15, when the tree comes down.) There should be a fire department occupancy limit enforced. No kiddin'!!! They MAY observe the number of people limit ON the ice, but they don't follow that limit in the dinky little space they have inside for ticket sales, bathroom, rental boots, where you put on your boots and storage (which BTW is a $2 fee last I've remembered!!! :evil: ) It is a MAJOR fire hazard in that little warm room!!! (Hubby had his foot stepped on by some random kid's skate, right on the toe picks... and does the kid have any manner to apologize!!! :roll: :evil: )

I will never EVER go back there to skate again!!! It's too crowded, too expensive and just not worth the effort. :giveup:

NoVa Sk8r
12-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Rockefeller Center limits the number of tickets sold, which is why there are always long lines "in season." Small rink = small admittance = demand = big $$$ (I only skate there after 1/15, when the tree comes down.)You have to time it right (or just get lucky). I went one year on New Year's Eve, and there were only 8 people on the rink. 8-)

Isk8NYC
12-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Actually, Superbowl Sunday's not too bad.

Skate@Delaware
12-04-2006, 02:56 PM
We usually have very crowded public skate sessions...Friday and Saturday afternoons and nights. We don't go, as they are usually dominated by teens 8O !! It is barely-controlled chaos. The Sunday afternoon adult session is good, although they do let 16 year olds on...and sometimes they act up.

However, we ALWAYS attend the New Year's Eve Skate-In at our rink. It's by reservation only, sales are limited, and they do a really good job with everything.

Several years ago, the rink had a "free skate" open to the public and it was limited only by the number of rental skates they had....it was unbelievable!!! You could not even move! They never did that again as people were getting hurt and knocking into each other.

Hannah
12-04-2006, 03:26 PM
This is why I love my rink and the early morning adult sessions. Maybe I should write a thank you note.

Team Arthritis
12-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Actually, Superbowl Sunday's not too bad.

hmmm, are there any rink side TV's?
Lyle

e-skater
12-04-2006, 04:41 PM

Yikes! I was going to add something about the "groups" our rink gets during the holidays, but I don't think there have ever been that many skaters at one time. Though from looking out on the holiday public sessions, it sure looks that way! I swear you could just go out there and stand still and "the mass" would carry you around the rink without your having to do anything! It get's so crowded. you can only take little eensy steps and you are crushed in with everyone else, elbow to elbow. Can't WAIT for those days! SMIRK!

Morgail
12-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Cones! One of the rinks I skate at used to put cones up around the middle several years ago, but not anymore. This time of year, I have to fully utilize my years of public-session-skating-expertise to find gaps in the crowd to do jumps, portions of Moves, etc. Weekday sessions aren't bad yet (kids still in school), but the Saturday & Sunday sessions I usually go to have become very crowded.

If only I had a good camel spin...that would clear out the middle;)

sk8_4fun
12-05-2006, 02:11 PM
We are expecting it to get very busy in january when the new series of 'Torvill and Deans dancing on ice' starts again. I'm told it went crazy last year. Also, as the equivalent show is currently airing around Europe, My skate fitter told me he is having wait longer to get skates from Wifa. I think the US version is 'celebrities on ice'? The rink owners started rubbing their hands with glee at teh mention of a second series. There has been a mention of limiting numbers on the adult morning sessions.

Bill_S
12-05-2006, 03:38 PM
... There has been a mention of limiting numbers on the adult morning sessions.

At what time in the mornings are the adult sessions?

Our rink has only four adult skaters. There are two of us on at 6 am, and two more at 7 am together with 3 kids. Often because of personal schedules, etc, there are fewer than 3 skaters total at any time on our morning 6-8 am ice.

The US Skating with Celebrities show did nothing for our rink's figure skating sessions last year. However our public sessions are now packed on weekends because 'tis the season.

NickiT
12-05-2006, 03:45 PM
We are expecting it to get very busy in january when the new series of 'Torvill and Deans dancing on ice' starts again. I'm told it went crazy last year. Also, as the equivalent show is currently airing around Europe, My skate fitter told me he is having wait longer to get skates from Wifa. I think the US version is 'celebrities on ice'? The rink owners started rubbing their hands with glee at teh mention of a second series. There has been a mention of limiting numbers on the adult morning sessions.

Yep, it was manic last year! Our housewives course on a Friday morning went from about half a dozen people to there being 50 on the ice and the other courses were much the same. Of course over the year lots have dropped off, but those who stuck with it will be reaching the standard that enables them to join the club soon and so as membership secretary I'll be preparing for a influx of newbie members! Last year, our rink actually had to set up a waiting list as there were simply too many for the courses.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
12-06-2006, 06:44 AM
I think our rink did too; certainly they had so many in the Thursday evening class that extra coaches were roped in, and some skaters, too.

Ice Dancer
12-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Last night our rink had a party of 35 in! It should have been 40 but 5 dropped out. Luckily I was in a coned off area so it was my lesson.

Last week I was off work and was able to go to a session during the day, it was pure bliss! There was about eight of us in total. I got off at the right time though, as I was leaving a school party came on with about 15 kids of about five years. What annoyed me was these two fat teachers took them on, and they wore shoes on the ice! They should have got detention for that i'm sorry.

We are expecting it to get very busy in january when the new series of 'Torvill and Deans dancing on ice' starts again. I'm told it went crazy last year.

Oddly enough someone said that last night at my lesson. Am I alone in thinking what does it matter if that encourages people to start up? It partly led me to start, it was something I had always wanted to do and that relit my desire. It also showed me if they could do it, so could I. I am 24 and until September had never skated before and thought I had left it too late and I expect there are loads of people in that situation too.

Skittl1321
12-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Oddly enough someone said that last night at my lesson. Am I alone in thinking what does it matter if that encourages people to start up?

Nope- I agree with you. If it gets them to the rink, that means its less likely my ice time will be sold to hockey :) I didn't watch Skating with Celebrities, but I do think a commercial of it made me think "hey- I used to love to skate, I wonder if there is an ice rink around here" so I guess, in a way, it's what got me to the rink.

I do think it's okay for the regulars to be annoyed at the initial crowds during these shows, because hey, CROWDED stinks... but once the people get through their initial lessons the onces who stay around shouldn't be looked down upon because the reason they got their start was a television program.

Did that make sense at all?

Mrs Redboots
12-06-2006, 11:25 AM
I don't think anybody looks down on the ones who stay the course! But it can be frustrating for those who use the public sessions when the ice is full of people who saw it on TV! It's great that so many people decide to sign up for a 6-week course of lessons, though - and rather sad that so relatively few sign up for a second course.

Tessa
12-06-2006, 05:40 PM
How do you all feel about skating on crowded sessions? Waste of time or small benefit? I had this discussion with my coach today and she said that even just stepping on the ice and stroking and practicing little things was worth the annoyance. I skated at a massively crowded (tho not 800+ peeps) session and found it frustrating although I was able to pull off a few moves.

Thoughts anyone?

Bill_S
12-06-2006, 06:11 PM
How do you all feel about skating on crowded sessions? Waste of time or small benefit?

I include at least one public session each week. One function it serves is to get your eyes off your feet! If you don't watch where you're going, unpleasant surprises soon await.

While I can't jump and spin in crowded sessions, I do work on simple footwork (mohawks, three-turns, etc.) in the crowd. If you can do them there, you can certainly do them on uncrowded ice.

It's worth the while for me as long as it isn't ridiculously crowded.

sk8_4fun
12-07-2006, 01:51 PM
At what time in the mornings are the adult sessions?

Our rink has only four adult skaters. There are two of us on at 6 am, and two more at 7 am together with 3 kids. Often because of personal schedules, etc, there are fewer than 3 skaters total at any time on our morning 6-8 am ice.

The US Skating with Celebrities show did nothing for our rink's figure skating sessions last year. However our public sessions are now packed on weekends because 'tis the season.

Tuesdays and thursdays 10-12.30 includes group tuition all for £4.20!!!!(includes coffee and biscuits lol) because of the timing its VERY popular, usually 40-50 skaters of varying abilities. We have 4-5 coaches on this session and they are always fully booked with private lessons.

sk8_4fun
12-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Oddly enough someone said that last night at my lesson. Am I alone in thinking what does it matter if that encourages people to start up? It partly led me to start, it was something I had always wanted to do and that relit my desire. It also showed me if they could do it, so could I. I am 24 and until September had never skated before and thought I had left it too late and I expect there are loads of people in that situation too.

I agree- I am one of those people! It was down to the olympics and worlds too. I started back in march. now, at 39, I can't imagine life without it!:giveup:

NickiT
12-07-2006, 03:20 PM

No, it's good that more people are being encouraged to take up the sport. Most drop out along the way anyway, but we always welcome new members into our club, as you know!

I started at the same age you are now and stuck with it. It wasn't easy at first, with working then having babies etc, but now I'm there nearly every day and have made a lot of progress. I guess in the time I've been skating I should have made a whole lot more, but I love it and am thrilled with all that I can do. In the beginning my aim was to pass NISA Novice 1 test (old test structure) and thought that anything I did beyond that was a bonus. I never envisaged I'd be competing in the British Adult Championships or that I'd be at the point of taking my level 3 tests, so you are never too old to start learning. Oh, and a lot of the adult skaters at our rink (the stronger skaters with tests) were considerably older when they first took to the ice and look at them now!

Nicki

doubletoe
12-07-2006, 03:47 PM
How do you all feel about skating on crowded sessions? Waste of time or small benefit? I had this discussion with my coach today and she said that even just stepping on the ice and stroking and practicing little things was worth the annoyance. I skated at a massively crowded (tho not 800+ peeps) session and found it frustrating although I was able to pull off a few moves.

Thoughts anyone?

Skating-wise, I get no benefit unless it's right after a freestyle session and I'm already there, and all I need to work on are spins. But psychologically, skating on a public session packed with wall-huggers does loads for my ego after I've just had a terrible practice or failed a test, ROFL!

AshBugg44
12-07-2006, 03:48 PM
GASP! - that's an amazing number of people. Were sessions free or something? And where is this rink so I can avoid it?;)

Nope, not free. Usual price. Portland, OR. :)

8O Was that one session and did everyone stay for the whole time? Horrible.

It was one session, but no, people don't stay for the whole time. They certainly could if they wanted to. You can skate as long as you want. I can't imagine 800 people on the ice at once though! There was probably consistently around 200 people on the ice.

doubletoe
12-07-2006, 03:50 PM
hmmm, are there any rink side TV's?
Lyle

Yes, yes, in the U.S., Superbowl Sunday is the BEST, LOL!

jazzpants
12-07-2006, 03:58 PM
In our case, if you stand between the ice rink and the party room and the TV is on, chances are good you can do exactly what Charlie Tickner did one year and watch the Senior Ladies SP at Skate SF at the same time as the World Series! LOL!!! :twisted: :lol:

But around January....good luck getting the TV when there's kiddie b-day parties going on...

Mrs Redboots
12-08-2006, 01:56 AM
In our case, if you stand between the ice rink and the party room and the TV is on, chances are good you can do exactly what Charlie Tickner did one year and watch the Senior Ladies SP at Skate SF at the same time as the World Series! LOL!!! :twisted: :lol:Last year, one of our Recreational Ice Dance League matches was scheduled at the same time as England were due to play against I-forget-who in football. The organisers brought forward the match by several minutes, on the grounds that "If the football starts, we'll never get the judges down here!" And, indeed, once I'd finished skating, I noticed the judges were glued to the match and had to tear themselves away for the Senior League match!