View Full Version : Took my camera for a spin

Bill_S
12-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Woo hoo! I took the little digicam to the rink this morning and took it for a spin - literally.

Follow the link below to my web page of videos and pictures, and click on the link called spin_w_camera.avi. It's currently the top video in the list.

If you get dizzy watching it, think how I felt!

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/movies_and_pictures.html

Skittl1321
12-04-2006, 09:36 AM
wow. That was really neat!

Team Arthritis
12-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Urrrpppppp - I feel sick:twisted:
Lyle

jazzpants
12-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Bill: Nice video!!! :D Now if I could only show those brats at public session that video and tell them "THAT'S WHAT I SEE when I'm spinning. Do you REALLY want to go towards me when I spin???" (No, you do NOT get spins thru osmosis!!!) :twisted:

Isk8NYC
12-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Bill: Nice video!!! :D Now if I could only show those brats at public session that video and tell them "THAT'S WHAT I SEE when I'm spinning. Do you REALLY want to go towards me when I skate???" (No, you do NOT get spins thru osmosis!!!) :twisted:

Kids really are enchanted by spins, aren't they? The parents have no common sense, either - they let their kids come right at you while you're spinning! I really think they have more faith than we do in our abilities.

I stop and engage them ("Hi! Did you like my spin?") Then I have them stand still and I wave my hands (palms open) back and forth in front of their eyes really fast and say "That's what I see while I'm spinning, so you should always stay by the cones or the wall to watch, understand?" Of course, I add the obligatory "I wouldn't want you to get hurt." loud enough for Mom or Dad to hear.

Bill_S
12-04-2006, 11:48 AM
...that video and tell them "THAT'S WHAT I SEE when I'm spinning.

I thought it looked very real to me also. That's how the lights on the ceiling appear in a spin and you can't make out anything.

Wish I could have held the camera a bit more level in the beginning of the spin. That part isn't like reality.

(Sorry for ruining your lunch, Team Arthritis!! Maybe I should have a disclaimer about viewing the video too soon after eating ;) )

Team Arthritis
12-04-2006, 12:04 PM
wait, you mean you keep your eyes open when you spin???:P
Lyle

samba
12-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Great vid Bill, if you visit the UK you may get asked for your autograph, you are a dead ringer for a TV presenter over here called
Mathew Kelly.

Bill_S
12-04-2006, 04:10 PM
..visit the UK you may get asked for your autograph, you are a dead ringer for a TV presenter over here called
Mathew Kelly.

Poor guy! At least it sounds like he's employed.

Bill_S
12-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Samba:

Actually I've been told that I look like another chap from over your way...

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/bill_james.html

e-skater
12-04-2006, 04:47 PM
I stop and engage them ("Hi! Did you like my spin?") Then I have them stand still and I wave my hands (palms open) back and forth in front of their eyes really fast and say "That's what I see while I'm spinning, so you should always stay by the cones or the wall to watch, understand?" Of course, I add the obligatory "I wouldn't want you to get hurt." loud enough for Mom or Dad to hear.

GREAT technique. I'm trying this next time when it's crowded and the little ones come right up while you are spinning and stand there! 8O

mikawendy
12-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Neat video!

The concept reminds me of a PBS show I saw that was hosted by Alan Alda. He interviewed/visited different top athletes and they used some special camera headgear to analyze where athletes look when they do their sport (e.g., golfing, basketball, etc.) and how they practice. It was a really interesting show on the preparation for and psychology of sport.

samba
12-05-2006, 12:56 AM
Samba:

Actually I've been told that I look like another chap from over your way...

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/bill_james.html

Wow you look far more like James Galway than Mathew Kelly, better looking too (an observation everyone, not a chat up line!!).

Sonic
12-05-2006, 01:05 AM
Hey cool video Bill!

And you do look a bit like Matthew Kelly or James Galway!

S xxx

miraclegro
12-05-2006, 05:53 PM
I have enjoyed watching these! Where can i find patterns such as these in a book! You look so good doing them!

Bill_S
12-05-2006, 06:09 PM
If your talking about the various videos, most of them are either invented or I'm ad-libbing. They aren't found in any book I know. I'm just out there having fun.

Some of the bracket patterns were invented so that I'd be able to do multiple repetitions rapidly to build skills for the real pattern. I don't have a video of me performing the USFSA Gold Moves bracket pattern for example (good thing - it isn't ready yet!)

There are some "official steps" in the other skating videos of my coach doing ice dance steps though. Those can be found in the USFSA rule book.

Kuddles
12-06-2006, 12:26 PM
A friend of mine and I made a skating video this summer,
We had this cool shot where we tied the video camera to a hockey stick then got an ariel view of a behielman spin., ( spelled wrong >.< )

It was pretty sick.

Bill_S
12-06-2006, 01:42 PM
A friend of mine and I made a skating video this summer,
We had this cool shot where we tied the video camera to a hockey stick then got an ariel view of a behielman spin.

Now THAT's clever! I assume that one of you held the stick above the other person while they spun. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to hold the hockey stick above yourself while you are spinning - especially in a difficult position!

Casey
01-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Hey Bill, I did the same thing today. :)

http://kc.sk8rland.com/video/2007-01-11/casey-camera_for_spin-1.mpeg
...and...
http://kc.sk8rland.com/video/2007-01-11/casey-camera_for_spin-2.mpeg

I also did a couple where I tried to video my feet - it's kind of need though I couldn't really spin well while holding a camera out funny like that. :P

http://kc.sk8rland.com/video/2007-01-11/casey-feet-spin-1.mpeg
...and...
http://kc.sk8rland.com/video/2007-01-11/casey-feet-spin-2.mpeg

Bill_S
01-11-2007, 10:04 PM
It's plain to me that you're a better spinner than I am!

Cool golden blades! I also see (hear?) that you get wind noise in your videos too. And you're "right on" about feeling awkward with a camera held in one hand doing this. I fear losing my grip and having it fling away.

(Note to others who may have trouble seeing the videos - try downloading them to your computer first before you try to view them. Before I downloaded them, I got just the first few seconds of the videos repeating over and over.)

Casey
01-11-2007, 10:19 PM
I also see (hear?) that you get wind noise in your videos too.
I don't hear it when I spin, I think it's just because of wind hitting the camera microphone directly. It wasn't made for such things I'm sure. ;)

Isk8NYC
01-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Most cameras have a "Wind Buffer" setting you can turn on/off to muffle the sound. Cool video, Bill_S!

Casey
02-04-2007, 10:15 PM
It turns out that perhaps Bill and I aren't the only crazy skatingforums members, and indeed, russiet may be slighly crazier with his goofy faces! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tguanpTq_Ww

Team Arthritis
02-05-2007, 08:54 AM
LOL, now that was funny
Lyle

jimjamiejames
02-05-2007, 11:14 AM
out of interest how do ppl keep there balance an not be sick when spinning round so many times an so fast??

Isk8NYC
02-05-2007, 11:51 AM
You get used to spinning after a while, unless you have some physical balancing/motion sickness problems.
Ballet dancers "spot" their turns. Figure skaters absolutely do not, except HelenC. *chuckle*
The trick is to not watch the landscape go by...

Russiet - great video! I laughed out loud when you started making faces!

Team Arthritis
02-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Funny but I feel most dizzy from poorly centered spins.
Lyle

jimjamiejames
02-05-2007, 12:13 PM
You get used to spinning after a while, unless you have some physical balancing/motion sickness problems.
Ballet dancers "spot" their turns. Figure skaters absolutely do not, except HelenC. *chuckle*
The trick is to not watch the landscape go by...

Russiet - great video! I laughed out loud when you started making faces!

yeah i knew that about dancers but skaters are obviously goin too fast for this, so u just have to get used to it huh, i dont get much motion sickness so hope i get used to it pretty quick

Bill_S
02-05-2007, 02:16 PM
LOL! (oops, the boss might have heard me!)

That's one skater who isn't looking down at the ice!