View Full Version : Wet and windy or clear blue skies (Practice Thread 3-9 December 2006)

Mrs Redboots
12-03-2006, 07:54 AM
It's been blowing a gale here, with torrential rain, hence this week's title. And now it is really lovely - clear blue skies.

Wet and Windy: It takes forever to find the right place on the ice - this morning I couldn't manage it until two hours after I'd got off - after Church, doing off-ice 3-turns with a friend. And suddenly I got the posture I should like to have on-ice .....

14-step to music: struggling

Back stroking in Kilian hold: struggling

Fiesta Tango: grinding to a halt on the STF

Swing Dance: Dire, for some reason. Can do better!

Dance moves: Don't ask!

Clear blue skies:

Willow waltz: Far from perfect, but coming along.

Golden skaters' waltz (music happened to be playing): Gorgeous!

Husband's programme: Great!

Skittl1321
12-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Wet and Windy I hate inside mohawks from my right foot to my left foot (I think, now that I've typed it I might have my feet switched). I just cannot do them from anything but almost a complete standstill, yet the mohawks on the otherside are almost good enough that I can do them at some sort of speed.

Also, mazurkas. I just do not get how that is supposed to work.

clear blue skies I love to spin. My spins are not yet good, but they are thrilling. I'm consistently able to get 4-6 rotations on one foot (from either a two foot spin entrance or a hockey glide, no proper entrance yet) and looking at my tracings, they aren't moving all over the place yet (although, not on a dime either) My free foot is not in the right place, and while I want to fix all that, in the moment, I just don't care. I just love to spin!

Also, while it's nothing like a real one, my waltz jump feels like it's getting closer and closer to deserving the name waltz jump. It's awesome to have my feet leave the ice and land far away from where they left (by "real" waltz jump standards, still not far, but by what I had been doing- it's progress). It's just so great to feel like i'm getting somewhere with this.

Rusty Blades
12-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Rain? Gale? OH MY!

FROZEN & Windy! With the temperature at -18C with a windchill of -31C, it was COLDER in my country rink than outside! (How'd they do that??!!) Instead of getting warmed up and limbered up, I got stiffer as the session went on. Not much chance of making progress so it didn’t make sense to stay around and get colder!

Clear blue Skies On the positive side, I skated 3 hours yesterday so I am not short of ice time this weekend. Being very cold, I also did a MAJOR flood on my backyard rink and have about 90% coverage now. A couple more floods to smooth out the bumps and it will be ready for SKATES!

looplover
12-03-2006, 04:42 PM
wet and windy *grumble grumble* four parties at today's public session plus little kids waiting for hockey and skate guards playing tag and skate guard friend chasing little hockey kid into the middle and hockey dad watching me kick skate guard friend out of the middle :halo: and saying "she thinks her s*** don't stink" :evil: :evil: :twisted: *grumble vows to stop going to sunday public session though it's not usually THIS bad*

clear blue skies since seeing myself on video my sit spin is finally parallel and doesn't just feel parallel (or so I'm told), loop is almost always there, flip is there more and I tried not to have flop arms

Skate@Delaware
12-03-2006, 07:14 PM
ha! i don't pay attention and posted on last week's thread...oh well...

Went back for adult skate, but really just socialized with friends and daughter. Didn't really feel like working hard, which was ok with me. After this mornig (show rehearsal which wasn't a lot of skating) and club time/lesson, the break was nice.

We messed around with camel spins (which disappeared for the most part, but did I really try? not really) and spirals, waltz-loops, salchows, and dodging some beginning skaters who were all over the place 8O it was fun!

I think I'm over my funk...and need to get my skates sharpened! Two weeks until show and now is a great time!!!

ETA: my scratch spins are t-r-a-v-e-l-i-n-g!!!!! either from the dizziness, poor technique, low blood sugar, improper offerings at the altar of the gods of skating, I don't know....it was suggested to me that I need more luggage in my "booty" to spin right hmmmmm, don't know about that cause when I had it in my booty I couldn't spin at all!

DallasSkater
12-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Looplover: Only 4 parties? We had 11 during my public session. Each with 10 kids ...yep...110..plus the parents , plus the public! It was crazy! What ever happened to a nice roller rink birthday party?! Egads what a mess. I'm going to put up posters around the rink of art schools that do kids parties, roller rinks and other kid friendly venues!

Rusty: Awesome that your rink is near complete! You lucky lady!

Skate@Delaware: Glad the funk has passed. Just had my skates sharpened today. What a difference!

Wet and Windy: The crowd! My coach has my music and today I am feeling like maybe I should have picked another one. I was confident about it but doing too much " stinkin' thinkin" about it today. Wonder if I should call her and ask if she has started the choreography yet...eeek!

Clear blue skies...really focused spins due to space limitations. Many thanks to sk8pdx for posting about her spin class and the back spin. She discussed concentrating the outside edge..and what a huge difference this made. I was delighted to have a few revolutions on the back spin several times. Still not done well but at least done. Makes total sense to me now. A little girl asked why I could spin and then all of a sudden not spin so well...giggle. She did not appreciate the fact that the foot changed! Will practice this more but think it is now at least possible since I was beginning to think I would never get it.

With limited space I was able to only do a few jumps when something opened up big enough. The ice was a mess within minutes with that many people so just did the best I could. Only stayed an hour but felt it was a break through at least!

Isk8NYC
12-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Our rink was a madhouse - THREE (count 'em: 3) huge birthday parties, and the parents skated as well! I was teaching my first student, a petite 9-year old and saw a kid horsing around with his grandfather, trying to push grampy from behind. I caught the kid before gramps went down, and asked him to calm down and skate slower. The showoff moves away backwards and knocks down my student! Arrrrgh.

...but really just socialized with friends and daughter. I gave two private lessons today and spent the last hour of the session playing with the twins. They're usually pretty good about taking privates from me individually, but I think I'm going to pair them up for a semi-private with one of the younger coaches. (Who I really, really like a lot.)

Wet and Windy:
MITF practice was out of the question, given the crowd.
Jumps were terrible, mainly because my boots were loose!

Clear Blue Skies:
Managed a few recognizable spreadeagles and some great back spins.
Spirals were very nice, from what I saw in the glass.
I'm getting really good at spinning CW! (I'm a CCW skater.)
The music was outstanding today - somebody must have mixed a CD for the rink.
Lots of party songs, at one point it felt like an old-fashioned roller rink!

Also, mazurkas. I just do not get how that is supposed to work.
There's this thread (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=20232) about mazurkas that might help.
I was just teaching it this week so I'll give you a rookie tip that worked really well.
Do it from a standstill. Take your foot and pick in as if you're going to do a toe tap to the side. Quickly, bring the free leg across to the front, then put your feet together again, landing on the free toepick. Push off onto an inside edge on the other foot. Once you're comfortable with the switching, do it from the FI three-turn with a half-rotation.

Skittl1321
12-03-2006, 07:44 PM
It must have been a big birthday party weekend! Our rink only looked like it was set up for two, but one of them was at 12:00 (which is way earlier than normal, since the session starts at 12, parties usually start at 12:30 or 1:00).

I can't imagine 11 parties!

Anyhow, I got 8 minutes of good ice time in before the kids started invading the rink...

The worst I've seen was 4 parties at a time. I don't think they have enough rooms to do more than that.

jazzpants
12-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Clear Blue Skies:
Felt well enough to go in for Sunday. Got quite a few good backspins and dared enough to do some good backspin to forward attitude spins! :mrgreen: I also finally got around to doing some flips and did doubletoe's drill of pushing slightly to my left to set up for my LFO3 entry for my flip and had a couple of really close clean landings to show for it!!! :mrgreen:

Wet and windy:
The rest of the session. Ice was crap! Rink was crowded. Couldn't do much spinning... and I was practicing setting up for my waltz jump at higher speeds and kick thru and nearly kicked some obnoxious teenager going into the middle of the rink and DARED to tell me to "watch where I'm going!!!" GRRRR... I should have kicked thru and risk kick her where it hurts to teach her a lesson about going thru the middle of the rink where she has NO BUSINESS going into!!! :evil: :x (Yes, she IS a BEGINNING SKATER and she was barreling into the middle!!!)

Sk8pdx
12-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Clear blue skies...really focused spins due to space limitations. Many thanks to sk8pdx for posting about her spin class and the back spin. She discussed concentrating the outside edge..and what a huge difference this made. I was delighted to have a few revolutions on the back spin several times. Still not done well but at least done. Makes total sense to me now. ....Only stayed an hour but felt it was a break through at least!

Awww thanks Dallas. :oops: :halo: I am glad it helped. After all, that is what our practice threads are for, eh? Sure wish I could come skate with you again to see all the progress you have made. (I bet you have graduated from the safe and secure "lutz" corner of the world). Not only was the revelation in my backspin about the spot on the blade, it was about the direction of the rotation and the rest of my body alignment as well.

When a session is so crowded like that, not all is gone to waste. I usually work on footwork things like mohawks both inside and outside, mohawk crosses or "drunken sailors" as I have heard them called, little jumps like ballet jumps and mazurkas, yes, even the little evil bunny hops. Someone showed me how to do chawktaws which are really fun! I also work on backward and fwd cross rolls, fwd and back power pushes/pulls too.(they are little tiny baby things and I don't have Skate@Delaware to skate behind me for the ripping sound effects ;) 3 turns, and of course spins. don't forget to practice pivots too. ...all the little stuff we forget because I tend to focus so much on jumps and spins...

Wet and Windy:
It was especially c-c-cold in my rink today. but suprisingly empty compared to what I have read here. still waiting for my loop to arrive. Maybe Santa will bring me one for Christmas. I have been a good girl, really.:halo:

Clear blue skies:
Did a backspin with 3 revs. (never done that before, I usually stop at 1 1/2.)
attitude spin was great
working on shoot-the-ducks. of course the right side is my weaker side and they are not as low. but progress is being made. figured those would help with sit spin.

Had a wonderful skate day today!

pennybeagle
12-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Well, I don't post too often on these threads, but I admit I'm now in desperate need of sympathy...

wet. very windy. ugh...
Oh, axel, where oh where have you gone?? Sigh. It's a horrible mess. Don't know what happened but it seems that every bad habit I've ever had on this jump has come back with a vengeance and now I either consistently fall, two foot, or simply pop out of it. Curving the entry. Not stepping up. Not stepping through. Not converting. Not staying over the right side. Not coordinating upper and lower body. Prerotating. Leaning too far forward. Leaning too far back and taking off from the heel (ooh, very very scary!!). Not checking out. Blocking the rotation. Jumping inside the circle. Not getting the arms through. Chickening out.

Every attempt is a different mistake. I had my last session videotaped, and every jump looks different. Every jump also looks wrong, and I have absolutely no feel for the timing of this anymore. :frus: :frus: :frus:

The problem is that I can see each jump and I KNOW what I need to do. Even without seeing the jump, I can usually TELL what I did wrong after the fact. But I can't seem to fix the whole jump. Coach says I need to just take a break and stop thinking about it and let my body just remember how to do it. Easier said than done when applications for Nationals are coming up.

This has been going on for 3 weeks and counting... GRRRR!

OK, sorry, just needed to vent.
:giveup:

blue. sunny...I guess...
Well, I can apparently land a double sal now... not that it matters b/c it's not allowed at my level anyway.

Skating is not fun when you spend most of your time as a human zamboni. :(

Skittl1321
12-04-2006, 06:58 AM
There's this thread (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=20232) about mazurkas that might help.
I was just teaching it this week so I'll give you a rookie tip that worked really well.
Do it from a standstill. Take your foot and pick in as if you're going to do a toe tap to the side. Quickly, bring the free leg across to the front, then put your feet together again, landing on the free toepick. Push off onto an inside edge on the other foot. Once you're comfortable with the switching, do it from the FI three-turn with a half-rotation.

Thanks for the tips- that's pretty much what I'm trying to do (from a standstill) so it's just a matter of practicing until it actually works. I have a really hard time pulling the free leg in any sort of smooth motion, so I have problems before I even try to jump. And then the "scissor" motion is a mess... I'll check out the thread you linked to.

Rusty Blades
12-04-2006, 07:26 AM
Well, I don't post too often on these threads, but I admit I'm now in desperate need of sympathy...

HUG

I'm nowhere near your level Penny but I understand how you feel. I think your coach is right in that you need to step back from it for awhile and do some stuff you are good at and enjoy. I think we develop "a negative attitude" (subconsciously) toward our nemesis move and the attitude gets in the way of making it work. Coming back without the mental stigma gives you a better chance of landing that axel.

Anytime you need a hug, there are lots of them here!

quarkiki2
12-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Wet and Windy: Three turns, my ALWAYS sturggle element. For really no reason, grr! I was practicing the waltz-8 and pre-bronze 3 turn pattern and my rhythm is good, my lobes of pretty good size and the stroking parts of these patterns are good, but can I take the turn on one foot? Heck no!

Still striggling a bit to get into one foot spinon one foot, thought I had a light-bulb moment about the free leg that helped me ALMOST get my foot crossed in the spin -- I think if I were getting into the spin on one foot, I'd be able to cross my foot correctly because I'd have just a tad more momentum. Will keep working. Also tried a few from a RFI three entry (coach showed this to me last lesson). These are a little less controlled at the moment, but I think will be OK shortly.

Clear Blue Skies: Worked very hard on moves this session. Myt last lesson my coach actually thought it was a good idea when I said, "I'll probably pass Bronze before Pre-Bronze with this stinkin' three turn pattern..." So she brought out the moves book and set me to work on both pre-bronze and bronze. I so much prefer the power threes to the pre-bronze pattern -- so much so that I have to think every step of the pre-bronze pattern so I do the inside mohawk instead of a choctaw into an outside three. What a pain! I've worked on the power threes longer, so they feel more natural and I nearly stumbe every time I do the pre-bronze pattern trying NOT to step forward on the wrong edge.

I'm finding the stroking drills from the moves to be very fun and I think I'm getting decent speed on them: four strokes down the rink on each side, three crosses around the end on the perimiter stroking -- four lobes down the rink, three crosses around the end on the perimiter power stroking (forward), and four crossovers F & B on the figure eights on the hockey circles. I actually think I need tomove my feet faster on the forward figure eights as it really only takes me three crossovers to get around the circle and the minimum is four.

Worked on picking a little bit more behind my left ear on the 1/2 flip -- more pop that way. Also tried keeping my feet a little closer together before takeoff on the 1/2 loop. Got a few waltz jumps in the air away from the wall, go figure!

Skate@Delaware
12-04-2006, 10:30 AM
I actually think I need tomove my feet faster on the forward figure eights as it really only takes me three crossovers to get around the circle and the minimum is four.
Yeah, me too...my coach actually wants 5 crossovers around each circle...so I have to take smaller quicker "steps"...:frus:

Isk8NYC
12-04-2006, 12:30 PM
It must have been a big birthday party weekend! I think you're right. Since last week was Thanksgiving, some people may have put off their parties until this weekend. My oldest's birthday coincides with Memorial Day weekend, so I usually have her parties the week before or after. Her sweet sixteen was poorly attended because it was a holiday weekend and many people were away.

MusicSkateFan
12-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Wet and Wind-ed!

I am sweaty and exhausted from doing run throughs of this Silver Freeskate!

Coach wants me to take MIF and Silver Freestyle on same day!

January 15! Nothing like rolling the dice!
I hope to be on-line that night and register for Adult Nats!

Moves are going well....coach says I am ready now for the moves....I still practice them for about 35-40 minutes every time I skate!

doubletoe
12-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Oh, axel, where oh where have you gone?? Sigh. It's a horrible mess. Don't know what happened but it seems that every bad habit I've ever had on this jump has come back with a vengeance and now I either consistently fall, two foot, or simply pop out of it. Curving the entry. Not stepping up. Not stepping through. Not converting. Not staying over the right side. Not coordinating upper and lower body. Prerotating. Leaning too far forward. Leaning too far back and taking off from the heel (ooh, very very scary!!). Not checking out. Blocking the rotation. Jumping inside the circle. Not getting the arms through. Chickening out.

Every attempt is a different mistake. I had my last session videotaped, and every jump looks different. Every jump also looks wrong, and I have absolutely no feel for the timing of this anymore. :frus: :frus: :frus:

The problem is that I can see each jump and I KNOW what I need to do. Even without seeing the jump, I can usually TELL what I did wrong after the fact. But I can't seem to fix the whole jump. Coach says I need to just take a break and stop thinking about it and let my body just remember how to do it. Easier said than done when applications for Nationals are coming up.

This has been going on for 3 weeks and counting... GRRRR!

Oh, I have TOTALLY been there (and recently, too!). When that happens, my coach has me go back to waltz jumps, then waltz-loops. Last month I lost my axel for 2-3 weeks and did nothing but waltz jumps and waltz loops in my program the whole time. Once I finally got the takeoff feeling right again (It turns out I hadn't been holding the takeoff edge long enough, so I fixed it so that I felt like I was gliding straight forward for 2 beats before takeoff), I added the backspin position in the air and--bingo--the axel was back. This is probably the first time I didn't freak out when my axel went away, and I'm very proud of that, LOL! :D So I would highly recommend taking out one revolution, focusing on the takeoff, and not freaking out. :)

doubletoe
12-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Wet and Wind-ed!

I am sweaty and exhausted from doing run throughs of this Silver Freeskate!

Moves are going well....coach says I am ready now for the moves....I still practice them for about 35-40 minutes every time I skate!

Good luck!!!! To take the pressure off, you may want to try to convince yourself it doesn't matter if you skate at Silver this year at Nationals, because you'll still skate Silver later on in the year if you don't pass this time. Brainwashing myself to believe it didn't matter was the only way I was able to keep my nerves in check and pass both my Gold MIF and FS on the same day last year, LOL!

jazzpants
12-04-2006, 03:28 PM

Heh heh heh!!! Aren't you glad I told you to ask??? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (I knew that was coming... ;) )

Good luck with the test!!! :P You'll do fine!!! :mrgreen:

Terri C
12-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Clear Blue Skies:
Lesson with Secondary Coach was 150% than last week's Lesson From Hell.
There weren't too many people on the ice today. Maybe they know that Mondays is one of the skating days for that Psycho Bronze Moves Lady!!:P

Wet and Windy:
Ice was horribly chewed up- then again that's a good stamina exercise!!
I cannot, for how long I wait to get the RFO threes on top of the lobe for power three turns!! Any ideas out there??

icedancer2
12-04-2006, 07:14 PM
I cannot, for how long I wait to get the RFO threes on top of the lobe for power three turns!! Any ideas out there??

I'll give you one idea if you tell me how to step forward on this side: My idea: WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT. Maybe look at the side wall and turn when you are lateral to it?

Sorry probably not much help.

Good luck with your test.

vesperholly
12-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Terri - you should wait until you feel like you're going "downhill" (back towards the line/axis) on the lobe before you turn.

Clear blue skies: My axel stayed with me over the weekend! :mrgreen: I landed two cleanly today, and I even got them both on video - I am using my little P&S digital because I was desperate to see how they looked. I'm crossing my fingers that I can duplicate this in my lesson tomorrow. I did a few pretty good double loops, though they're definitely 1/2 underrotated. I also had one credible double toe attempt but the rest were horrifying.

Wet and windy: I couldn't spin for crap today (I think I pulled something in my side/hip because laybacks HURT), and my double sals were terrible. I know what I need to do (keep the left shoulder checked on the take off) but I can't make my body do it.

das_mondlicht
12-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Clear blue skies: I managed to skate at weekend public sessions. All APBMs went fine. I worked most of time on the hard one - F3-turn pattern. Tried all of the tips I got from the thread. Check and hold 3s, push to BI and hold BXOR to a nice deep FI edge.

icedancer2, you are right! I just returned from rink. :D I pass APBM, tonight :D

Luna

doubletoe
12-04-2006, 08:43 PM

I have always turned before the top of the lobe on every MIF pattern I've ever had, in spite of my own eyes telling me I was at the top of the lobe. I finally realized my own space perception was totally wrong and I started waiting until I was absolutely sure I had passed the top of the lobe and was starting down hill before I turned. It solved the problem. Now the turn marks show up right at the top of the lobe. Go figure!

Debbie S
12-04-2006, 10:47 PM
I finally realized my own space perception was totally wrong and I started waiting until I was absolutely sure I had passed the top of the lobe and was starting down hill before I turned. Too true! I went to a moves critique when I was working on Pre-Bronze MIF and was having a lot of difficulty getting the alt 3's to turn at the top of the lobe. Part of it was just being able to control the edge enough to hold it, but I also just had this involuntary reflex to turn about 3 seconds into the lobe - lol. Anyway, this judge there (Terri, I think she's actually on your panel Friday - VS?) told me to "wait until you think you have to turn, and then wait some more."

When I was working on power 3's (and now the evil 3 turns in the field) my coach told me to wait until I was facing the wall at the end of the rink to turn, b/c that meant I was parallel to the axis, and hence at the top of the lobe.

Moves are going well....coach says I am ready now for the moves....I still practice them for about 35-40 minutes every time I skate!Woohoo! Go for it! Any tips on the BI 3's and the 8-step (other than prayer - lol)? ;)

jazzpants
12-04-2006, 11:37 PM
When I was working on power 3's (and now the evil 3 turns in the field) my coach told me to wait until I was facing the wall at the end of the rink to turn, b/c that meant I was parallel to the axis, and hence at the top of the lobe.Yup! I had the same exercise too. I still do from time to time not get on the top of the lobe, but I've practiced it enough where I could sorta get the general feel of when I'm at the top of the lobe before I 3turn. (It's like you are just about to come back to the axis...THAT'S the time to turn.)

Woohoo! Go for it! Any tips on the BI 3's and the 8-step (other than prayer - lol)? ;)Ditto on the tips here, MSF! :bow:

Clear Blue Skies:

Met a fellow skater from another board (CAS.) Turns out this guy and I have talked before but we didn't put the face with the name and the board that we both post on. Nice to know and nice to see him again! :mrgreen:
Spirals are getting a little better. I got at least ONE good spiral before I left for the night.
Sit spins are still there and doing well. I was playing around with an arm variation and it's looking pretty KEWL!!! I hope when I finally get the position down pact that I can film it for prosperity. :mrgreen:Wet and Windy:

Didn't land any loops or flips cleanly. :evil: (Okay, maybe ONE flip clean but shaky landing again.)
Playing around with lutz... can't expect anything at this point.
Camel spins is CRAP!!! :evil:
Practicing going fast and then FI mohawk when I have the chance... I managed to do them, which probably means I didn't go into it fast enough. :roll:
STILL sick with a flu or something... Throat very sore!!! Still feeling about 80% right now. Wasn't very social tonight b/c of this. Didn't want to make anyone else sick. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/muede/p020.gif

Sonic
12-05-2006, 01:13 AM
Clear blue skies:
I started MIFs in my freeskate lesson yesterday. I think this was a good move on my part as I really need to sort out my basic skating, which is full of bad habbits.

In practise Sunday and yesterday I pulled of a couple of things that resembled real Flips (ie fully rotated, picked correctly, more than 3 inches off the ice)

Wet and Windy:
Toe pushing
Looking down in cross spins again

Mrs Redboots
12-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Wet and Windy: Well, I was going to say Husband's new trousers, but perhaps things could be better expressed, so I won't! But I'm teed off about having to redo the elastic.

In our lesson, Reverse Kilian hold was pretty dire, as was skating backwards in Kilian hold.

Plus we didn't get to dance, only to do exercises.

Plus I showed my coach how I'm suddenly able to stand and said "That is how I should be when going backwards, isn't it?" and he said "You need to be like that going forwards as well!" Hmph.

Clear Blue Skies: Kilian hold was fine, as was shoulder hold.

Friend who I haven't seen for some weeks while she's been swanning around in the USA with people like BlueIIIMoon and co was in, skating, which was good.

Think new, improved posture is improving my back cross-rolls.

Wet and Windy again: But will someone please tell me: how on earth am I supposed to keep my hips forward while going backwards and putting my feet down in front of each other, as in back cross-cuts???? Plus how on earth am I supposed to keep my hips forward when skating with hands on Husband's shoulders? Or when Husband is not exactly pulling me in the wrong direction, but not helping me to get over my hip?

Sheesh. Why do I love this sport so?

Rusty Blades
12-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Sheesh. Why do I love this sport so?

Because it's a sport in which we learn to do the IMPOSSIBLE (eventually) :mrgreen:

phoenix
12-05-2006, 09:35 AM
But will someone please tell me: how on earth am I supposed to keep my hips forward while going backwards and putting my feet down in front of each other, as in back cross-cuts???? Plus how on earth am I supposed to keep my hips forward when skating with hands on Husband's shoulders? Or when Husband is not exactly pulling me in the wrong direction, but not helping me to get over my hip?

This is where you really have to think about tucking your ankles underneath you, & keeping your head/shoulders up and back. If your shoulders move forward at all, your hips will counterbalance automatically by moving back. I have to work on this more, as I tend to have a "sway back" when skating forward. It helps to think about "tucking your tail" underneath you too, by constricting your tummy muscles. Then, breathe and smile! Yaright. :??

Isk8NYC
12-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Clear Blue Skies: I bought a pair of jumbo-sized ski pants to wear while teaching. I had been changing into a pair of sweats, but they're not warm enough lately.

Had a last minute cancellation last night, so I spent some extra time on the ice practicing the pre-prel and prel MITF patterns. Not half-bad, if I do say so myself.

Wet and Windy: It's getting really cold here - I saw ice on my swimming pool cover today. Am I insane to want to go skating at the nearby outdoor rink tomorrow?

Have to be careful wearing the new ski pants - I think I might catch a blade on them and go down. We'll see tonight.

Skate@Delaware
12-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Wet and Windy: This is for last night's class, which was supposed to be ice dance. The teacher didn't show up so we did moves instead (hubby and I). Well, during warm-up, I was doing 3-turns and stuff, concentrating on not running over any little kids...when our resident "expert from the past" calls me over...He stands in the doorway to the ice and yells over and over...:evil: and everyone gets annoyed that he does this. So, I go and see what he wants. My arms. He wants to know what I'm doing? I'm warming up for dance. What dance were you doing? I'm not dancing, I'm doing moves...(which he doesn't understand, he's about 80+ years old and moves is new to him). Well, he said he didn't like my arms, they weren't "graceful" and I wasn't moving them right and to "go back out and do some jumps and spins so he could see me move them correctly." I said, No, I'm warming up for dance, thanks anyway. Then he starts talking about "way back when I used to skate..." so I said I had to warmup and left....

This is really getting annoying........He is a nice old guy out of the rink but many of the things he says at the boards (not just to me) are mean. He doesn't say things in a constructive way-it's always "what are you doing???!!!!" and he is disruptive. I can usually get away with ignoring him. Usually. When I tell him, "My coach tells me to do it this way" he gets mad and tells me my coach is wrong.

Ok, I'm done complaining (for now).....

Clear blue skies: Instead of dance, we did moves-Power 3's, which were good (no one fell), cross rolls (front AND backwards, and again, no one fell). Back cross rolls are HARD because I have a hard time telling where my feet are....8O it's hard to know when to set it down and switch feet....but it was good. I could not even do them last year.

ETA: Isk8NYC: Have you thought about using those "toastie toes" heater things inside your skates....if you have room? I use them in mine. Get them in the sporting goods department at Walmart, they run about $2 for 2 pair per package (price down here). One use per pair, but for those freezing sessions when you are on the ice for hours, might be worth checking out! Stick them on the insoles and shove the insoles back in, be sure not to wrinkle them....nice and warm!!!

Mrs Redboots
12-05-2006, 12:57 PM
ETA: Isk8NYC: Have you thought about using those "toastie toes" heater things inside your skates....if you have room? I use them in mine. Get them in the sporting goods department at Walmart, they run about $2 for 2 pair per package (price down here). One use per pair, but for those freezing sessions when you are on the ice for hours, might be worth checking out! Stick them on the insoles and shove the insoles back in, be sure not to wrinkle them....nice and warm!!!Coach2 has these great wires sticking out of her skates. These attach to heated insoles - when it gets cold, she can velcro this sort of belt round her ankle which holds a battery, into which she can plug the lead, and then the insoles will heat up!

Needless to say, this explains why our winter, so far, has been mild!

Skittl1321
12-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Coach2 has these great wires sticking out of her skates. These attach to heated insoles - when it gets cold, she can velcro this sort of belt round her ankle which holds a battery, into which she can plug the lead, and then the insoles will heat up!

Needless to say, this explains why our winter, so far, has been mild!

That is really clever!

Isk8NYC
12-05-2006, 01:08 PM
ETA: Isk8NYC: Have you thought about using those "toastie toes" heater things inside your skates....if you have room? I use them in mine. Get them in the sporting goods department at Walmart, they run about $2 for 2 pair per package (price down here). One use per pair, but for those freezing sessions when you are on the ice for hours, might be worth checking out! Stick them on the insoles and shove the insoles back in, be sure not to wrinkle them....nice and warm!!!

I DO have the "toastie toes" - one of my students gave them to me in a christmas basket a few years ago. I use them when I teach outdoors and it's really cold. Haven't seen heated insoles. Very interesting, hopefully I won't need them.

However, it's not my feet that are cold (one advantage of instructors' boots) - it's my legs. I put four layers on top, but the sweats are just too thin and I can't find any new ones that I like. I get into the cold car and I'm freezing from the hips down and the chill takes a long time to go away. So, I'm taking a page from the other coaches at my rink - they do the ski pants coverup thing. I looked funny in the store, trying them on over my pants, but that's how everyone wears them.

doubletoe
12-05-2006, 01:30 PM
When I was working on power 3's (and now the evil 3 turns in the field) my coach told me to wait until I was facing the wall at the end of the rink to turn, b/c that meant I was parallel to the axis, and hence at the top of the lobe.

Woohoo! Go for it! Any tips on the BI 3's and the 8-step (other than prayer - lol)?

Yep, when I do my brackets, I need to approach the side wall at the top of the lobe, and then wait until I have passed the point where I'm closest to the wall (the top of the lobe) and see myself coming away from the wall before I do my turn. Then the turn is right at the top of the lobe when I look at my marks!

BI3's. . . Well, I think of looking into the circle as I push off onto the BI edge, then at 11:00/1:00 I start turning my head to look outside the circle and then pass my arms so that my back is facing the circle and chest is facing outside the circle by the time I reach 9:00/3:00 (midpoint/top of lobe). I also know I need to be able to see the bottom half of the circle before I turn. Then I bend the knee deeply, get on the ball of the blade and execute the turn. For these, I was taught to keep my free foot at the heel of my skating foot for the BI edge and the turn.

For the 8-step, the trick to the outside mohawk is to keep your back parallel to the circle the whole time. That means your left shoulder is pulled back as you go into the LFO mohawk, but then you need to lean back into the circle and pull your right shoulder back as soon as you step down onto the RBO edge. Also, keep your free foot at the heel of your skating foot and perpendicular to it so that the knee and foot stay turned out and it's easier to step back onto an outside edge without moving your pelvis (pelvis continues to face outside the circle).

Skate@Delaware
12-05-2006, 02:10 PM
I DO have the "toastie toes" - one of my students gave them to me in a christmas basket a few years ago. I use them when I teach outdoors and it's really cold. Haven't seen heated insoles. Very interesting, hopefully I won't need them.

However, it's not my feet that are cold (one advantage of instructors' boots) - it's my legs. I put four layers on top, but the sweats are just too thin and I can't find any new ones that I like. I get into the cold car and I'm freezing from the hips down and the chill takes a long time to go away. So, I'm taking a page from the other coaches at my rink - they do the ski pants coverup thing. I looked funny in the store, trying them on over my pants, but that's how everyone wears them.
Ah, there's the rub....several of our coaches do the ski pants too. Whatever it takes to stay warm!!! You might want to check out the stuff that hunter's wear...cold-gear by UnderArmour, or the insulated underwear. I have a friend that swears by the stuff. And anything wool.

My toes and chest get cold, although my legs are ok. Go figure!

phoenix
12-05-2006, 02:24 PM
I get into the cold car and I'm freezing from the hips down and the chill takes a long time to go away.

Here's my solution which I bought a couple years ago---H E A V E N!!!!!

http://www.wintercomfort.com/?gclid=CIfu5tuT_IgCFTzqJAodFSCUMw

I bought one of the cheap ones--works just fine!

Skittl1321
12-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Clear Blue Skies Oh I'm just so happy. Everything about today's lesson was great! We did our Basic 7 test and I think it went really really well. I even managed to do the "hard" mohawk! I outlined the test in detail in my journal. The best part of all- my husband came and watched me skate. That just made me so so happy. I'm still so happy he came to watch and we've been home for 2 hours!

Windy Well not everything was great. I'm still struggling to have a truly good ballet jump, but mine is passable. I'm also incapable of getting into a spin with a 3 turn, but 2-foot spinning and hockey gliding into the spins are producing fantastic results that keep improving. And I think the awesome left mohawk was a fluke, but a fluke that is happening more and more frequently. Oh and I look down at the ice too much.

jazzpants
12-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Sorta Cloudy:
MORE forward crossovers exercises. We are focusing on the UNDERPUSH this morning and well, I'm still getting used to her exercises, but at least I'm not going on the toe picks on the underpush now! There's always a way to improve your forward crossovers.

Wet and Windy:
Still sick with the flu. Should have stayed home from my lesson this morning! Got worse this afternoon. Am taking much needed sick days off tomorrow and Thursday to recover!!! :giveup:

Clear Blue Skies:
Have finally worked out a plan with my coaches. And there is a NEW (albeit temporary for now) coach that will be joining Team Jazzpants when I'm back from NYC (and visiting Team Jazzpants East -- my wonderful NYC coach and hopefully Moves Guru!!!) "Hottie Ice Dance Coach" will be coaching me on a semi-weekly 3 month trial basis. Welcome to the Team!!! :mrgreen:

vesperholly
12-06-2006, 03:21 AM
Yay! I landed my axel in my lesson - twice! I landed it once before coach arrived, too. And several of the other coaches (one a former World competitor) saw it and cheered. :mrgreen: So far that's four sessions in a row, multiple axels landed each day, and it survived the weekend. Plus, I've been able to save slightly wonky ones, which is a good sign - learning to correct in the air. I'm beyond elation and just relieved.

Here's one I did Monday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBgYYKzyjCk

My coach and I were discussing the difference between landing it and landing it in a lesson. I know my coach believes me, especially since I videotape a lot, but I want her to see it in person. As a former skater she understood, and said that it's important for her to see it, but not as "proof", but because seeing your students succeed, especially when they've struggled and cried and been disappointed for a long time, is great and a reward for the coach's hard work, too. So I was really proud that I could do one "for" her and not just for me (every single one I land is "for" me since I'm there!).

OTOH ... double sals continue to terrify bystanders daily. :??

Rusty Blades
12-06-2006, 04:35 AM
* * * BLINK BLINK * * *

What am I doing up at 4 a.m.? Oh yea, going skating. And we do this for fun?

Jazz: Take your time to get well and pamper yourself! Don't know why but I just knew you'd end up working with the hottie coach :mrgreen:

Vesper: Congrats on the axel!

Mrs Redboots
12-06-2006, 07:12 AM
Wet and Windy: My brother's new daughter, born yesterday afternoon? Actually, of course, that's a very nice thing, but new babies are wet and windy, and likely to stay that way for a long time!

Anyway, for me, first thing I did on the ice this morning was catch a toe and then caught the other and there was nowhere to go but down, so smacked my hands and knees hard. Ouch. Hands still feel a bit sore even now.

Husband's runthrough of his free programme to the music was a bit random, and he fell on his loop jump.

We did the Swing Dance together and I did an appalling Mohawk just where my coach could see; he politely pretends he didn't notice, but....

Dance moves. I know what he wants me to do on the cross-cuts, but I can't do it! But they are improving. I do 4 or 5 lovely ones, then lose it.

Back crossovers. Apparently I'm doing cross-unders - I pull my inside leg under my outside leg, instead of pushing the outside leg over the inside one. Now that he has drawn this to my attention, I can feel that I am, but guess what/ I can't fix it!

It is really, really frustrating now that I know what I should feel like when going backwards that I keep losing it. Usually because, when skating solo, my upper body tilts forwards and I don't lift from the hips. Don't do it much when skating with a partner, but it is marginally easier.

Clear Blue Skies: (Which we actually have today, makes a change!) We started with changes-of-edge and I was surprised how easy I found inside-to-outsides, probably because I've been working so much on one-footed slaloms.

Back cross-rolls much better, and in general, skating backwards, was scraping much less.

Elastic on Husband's trousers now fine, although I think we should have bought a size smaller.

quarkiki2
12-06-2006, 08:25 AM
Back crossovers. Apparently I'm doing cross-unders - I pull my inside leg under my outside leg, instead of pushing the outside leg over the inside one. Now that he has drawn this to my attention, I can feel that I am, but guess what/ I can't fix it!

It is really, really frustrating now that I know what I should feel like when going backwards that I keep losing it. Usually because, when skating solo, my upper body tilts forwards and I don't lift from the hips. Don't do it much when skating with a partner, but it is marginally easier.

Say, I thought you were supposed to have a great emphasis on the pull for back crossovers... My former power skating coach describes it as a scissors effect with the inner thighs. I always think of a back crossover as having three pushes -- the outside leg, the inside leg pulling underneath and then pushing underneath. So, i guess technically not thre pushes, but push, pull, push.

I can really tell the difference in Synchro when skating next to someone who utilizes the inside leg well -- there's no lurching as you start from a standstill, KWIM? If you're pushing with both legs simultaneously, you never lose speed so you have a smooth takeoff and can gain speed with every stroke. If you're not using both legs, you slow just a hair on the under-push and there's lurching.

Ha -- I say this like I know something, LOL! As if I should be giving advice to anyone... I will say, however, that I have noticed the last three or four times out on the ice that I have FINALLY started to prefer back crossovers to forwards. My coach said I'd get there and I finally made it... after five stinkin' years...

Congrats to Jessi!!!

TimDavidSkate
12-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Wet and Windy
Skated @ Aviator Sports ~ Brooklyn, NY. Hard ice as usual. I got on the ice at 7:00 and did my usual taking my time on the ice until 7:25. Did a few jumps up to loop and then when it came it for the flip then my head case started. So by 7:55 I put on Tosca and determined to do better. I managed to do my planned Lutz/Loop/Loop, Flip/Loop, footwork into flip; tried the second lutz (popped into a half- my timing gets so off, I cant think of technique for some odd reason), did the loop/second Loop(just bailed out mid-air) ugh!!!! The only good thing I can look back was doing the first 3 passes. I was planning on doing the spins but I chickenned out. {By the way, throughout the night I had to put more duct tape around my skates. Since it was hard ice and I had to push harder to get around} Lately I have lost confidence in my practices from the effects of Halloween and my Silver test. I may need guidance at some point. Even though I know what to do, I am too scatter-brain these days. Maybe its just after effects from injury/surgery and Im being too hard on myself. Who knows

~ Spartacus was playing and Ann Patrice McDonough poked her head out from the coach's dressing room. Later on when we spoke to her - "Im like who's skating to spartacus? hmm sounds familiar, makes me want to go out and skate now." She's so tiny and adorable. I also saw Jenny Tew and Ryan Hunka, plus those two skaters from skating's next star.

Rusty Blades
12-06-2006, 10:24 AM
First 7 a.m. session at Manitoba Competitive Skating Training Centre (sounds impressive eh?!)

Wet and Windy: It takes the old body a bit longer to warm up at that hour - ok, A LOT longer but I was warmed up by the time my coach joined me at 7:30

Clear Blue Skies: Nice light session! At most, 6 skaters and 3 coaches, down to 3 skaters and 1 coach after 8 a.m. :mrgreen: I LOVE skating light sessions with advanced skaters! You know what everybody is working on, what pattern they are skating, and they are WAY more predictable than the little kiddies. It's nice to be able to "stretch out" in your skating without worrying what's behind you!

Coach and I went through some of my repertoire and she had some nice compliments on my forward edges - gee I love compliments 8O - LOL! We played with a variety of possible step and move variations for my choreography. I left coach with 5 variations of my program music to consider and we'll pick one on Friday. After lesson, I went back to trying to find my missing backward edges! They are coming back, slowly, but coming.

Mrs Redboots
12-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Say, I thought you were supposed to have a great emphasis on the pull for back crossovers... My former power skating coach describes it as a scissors effect with the inner thighs. I always think of a back crossover as having three pushes -- the outside leg, the inside leg pulling underneath and then pushing underneath. So, i guess technically not thre pushes, but push, pull, push.Yeah, but it's you're inside leg, apparently, that is supposed to be on the circle and define the circle, not your outside leg. I can feel exactly what he means, but can't do it.

Ha -- I say this like I know something, LOL! As if I should be giving advice to anyone... I will say, however, that I have noticed the last three or four times out on the ice that I have FINALLY started to prefer back crossovers to forwards. My coach said I'd get there and I finally made it... after five stinkin' years...Well, I've been skating nearly 12 years now and still hate skating backwards!

Isk8NYC
12-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Does sound impressive. Manitoba - that's fun to say!

Wet and Windy:
Skipped a (very loosely) scheduled lesson this morning - I was out too late last night and my email indicated trouble brewing at work today.

Clear Blue Skies:
I taught half flips last night - very successfully, I might add. I have two girls in groups that are sisters (not the same age.) Usually, the older sister "gets" things faster, but this time it was the younger one who was jumping by the end of the session.

I demonstrated some beauties and my feet didn't hurt much at all.

doubletoe
12-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Wet and Windy
I managed to do my planned Lutz/Loop/Loop, Flip/Loop, footwork into flip; tried the second lutz (popped into a half- my timing gets so off, I cant think of technique for some odd reason), did the loop/second Loop(just bailed out mid-air) ugh!!!! The only good thing I can look back was doing the first 3 passes. I was planning on doing the spins but I chickenned out. {By the way, throughout the night I had to put more duct tape around my skates. Since it was hard ice and I had to push harder to get around}

Duct tape around your skates? Are they breaking down? If so, it's got to be hard to land jumps! I messed up my jumps this morning and I don't even have an excuse (other than that we also have hard ice, but it's always hard, LOL)! BTW, how many loops do you have in your program?

doubletoe
12-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Yay! I landed my axel in my lesson - twice! Here's one I did Monday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBgYYKzyjCk

Looking at your axel videos, it's hard to believe you ever miss them! They look quick and controlled and you have such nice outflow! :)

Jazzy, get well soon! Perhaps a lesson with the Hottie will speed up the healing process? ;)

TimDavidSkate
12-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Duct tape around your skates? Are they breaking down? If so, it's got to be hard to land jumps! I messed up my jumps this morning and I don't even have an excuse (other than that we also have hard ice, but it's always hard, LOL)! BTW, how many loops do you have in your program?

Yeh my wonderful SPTerri KT3 is finally telling me I have at least one more year to go at least :(

I plan to have 5 loops :halo: {lutz/loop/loop, flip/loop, loop/loop}

vesperholly
12-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Looking at your axel videos, it's hard to believe you ever miss them! They look quick and controlled and you have such nice outflow! :)
Thanks! :) But believe me, for every good axel video I have, there are dozens of underrotated, two-foot, fall videos.

I cannot believe how many people get up in the wee, WEE AM hours to skate!! I used to try to make 6:30am sessions every once in a while, and it was HARD. :bow:

LoopLoop
12-06-2006, 01:34 PM
I plan to have 5 loops :halo: {lutz/loop/loop, flip/loop, loop/loop}

Um, Tim, you're only allowed to do any individual jump twice in your program, so if you do lutz-loop-loop you won't get credit for any more loops. And depending on the judges, you might get deductions too.

TimDavidSkate
12-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Um, Tim, you're only allowed to do any individual jump twice in your program, so if you do lutz-loop-loop you won't get credit for any more loops. And depending on the judges, you might get deductions too.

oops :oops: :frus: :??

doubletoe
12-06-2006, 01:55 PM

Yes, unfortunately, that is true. You might consider doing a lutz-loop-toe, a flip-toe and a salchow-loop for your three combos, then doing a solo lutz and a solo flip for your solo jumps. That way you don't do any jump more than twice and all of your jumps will count. :)

fmh
12-06-2006, 02:01 PM
wet and windy : flying sits were icky, and i left my music at home

blue skies: I DID A DOUBLE AXEL (ok well..it had a cheat of 1/8th of a turn, but thats good enough for now) this is the first time i've ever landed one (almost) clean :):):):)

TimDavidSkate
12-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Yes, unfortunately, that is true. You might consider doing a lutz-loop-toe, a flip-toe and a salchow-loop for your three combos, then doing a solo lutz and a solo flip for your solo jumps. That way you don't do any jump more than twice and all of your jumps will count. :)

Thanksies :D :bow: :mrgreen: I might give that a try

jazzpants
12-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Um, Tim, you're only allowed to do any individual jump twice in your program, so if you do lutz-loop-loop you won't get credit for any more loops. And depending on the judges, you might get deductions too.And while you're at it, you MIGHT want to take a look at this (http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/2007-%20Comp.%20Chart%20--%20Adult%20Singles%20(v4).pdf) when you're planning your program out to make sure your spin and footwork also meets the requirements too. (Just want to make sure you don't have any more gotchas...) ;)

TimDavidSkate
12-06-2006, 02:24 PM
And while you're at it, you MIGHT want to take a look at this (http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/2007-%20Comp.%20Chart%20--%20Adult%20Singles%20(v4).pdf) when you're planning your program out to make sure your spin and footwork also meets the requirements too. (Just want to make sure you don't have any more gotchas...) ;)

Thanks so much, I was looking it over and helping out Angelo for Championship Gold Men requirements

Team Arthritis
12-06-2006, 03:06 PM
blue skies: I DID A DOUBLE AXEL (ok well..it had a cheat of 1/8th of a turn, but thats good enough for now) this is the first time i've ever landed one (almost) clean :):):):)

WOW congratulations - I can only do those when I'm asleep
Lyle http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a080.gif

TimDavidSkate
12-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Congrats :bow:

WOW congratulations - I can only do those when I'm asleep
Lyle http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a080.gif

I used to do them on the floor / I cam still feel it in me, but wont be too crazy to do it again, unless im on a carpeted floor :halo:

phoenix
12-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Wet and Wild!
Yoiks....I asked coach today if we could shoot for Feb. to test my Killian, since I really need a deadline to motivate me....and he said, "No, January!" Oy. I guess it's time to suck it up & start running patterns, patterns, patterns!

Clear? Maybe?
But it has come back together nicely this past week, so I'm game. It will do me good to get out there anyway; I haven't tested in over a year now. At least I did three competitions this summer to help keep me in 'performance under pressure' mode. Now for a little endurance....4 patterns partnered + 2 solo...breathe!

doubletoe
12-06-2006, 04:31 PM
wet and windy : flying sits were icky, and i left my music at home

DAMN!!!8O :bow: And by the way, no need to say it's 1/8 turn cheated, since anything less than 1/4 counts! :D Congratulations!!!

Tessa
12-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Double Axel? WOW!!!!:bow:

Clear blue skys: My lovely coach took my skates last week to be sharpened by the guru at Hackensack. I only got in because one of her advanced students who is testing decided she didn't want her skates done. I heart my coach. Hackensack guru said my blades were BAD and uneven. SO....better equipment turned into no scraping on all forward threes and back crossovers. I did some great back scratches as well. Coach and I have decided Feb is way to early to test pre juvenile moves. She now thinks maybe March, I think April or May or next fall (more on this in wet and windy). We have both agreed that three patterns would pass -- the forward cross overs, the power pulls and the 5-step.

Wet and windy: What WON'T pass are the back crossover pattern and the threes. I simply only have two of the four back threes and I cannot do them consistently on the pattern. My lobes are too shallow and I'm not looking enough into my back arm and I'm not 'over checking' enough. I remember from years ago when I used to skate my coach used to tell me to use 'Frankenstein' arms and that's what the over checking feels like but I am leaving my arms all over the place and sometimes behind me! Also, I am trying to turn too far up on the blade.

jazzpants
12-06-2006, 05:41 PM
fmh: Double axel. WOO HOO!!!

Wet and windy:
Sick. Staying home.... http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/muede/p015.gif

Clear Blue Skies:
Staying home getting some much needed sleep!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/muede/d035.gif

Terri C
12-06-2006, 07:21 PM
Clear Blue Skies:
Tried the suggestion on the power threes.... it worked.
Primary coach basically told me to skate the test on Friday like I know how to (she is taking DD to a swim meet in Fairfax that morning and will not be at the test session)

Wet and Windy:
Rink management has now put our freestyle sessions back on the back rink, which I refer to as "The Dungeon" and The Meatlocker 'cause it's so friggin cold!
Too crowded today and I've noticed something.
While we have had numerous debates on the board about freestyle etiquitte, what about skating moves on freestyle sessions?
I know I maybe opening a can of worms, but it is very difficult to do moves. We do not have the luxury of a seperate moves session.

coskater64
12-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Got the last of the 5 supartz injections, glad that's over with. Hip is slowly mending.

Wet and windy: Still lacking major strength on Right standing leg and still not jumping. Right spirals are all awful like, look like a mutant, but am starting to practice jumps on land and get some power back.

Clear blue skies: Spins are good, working on back sit, have beautiful serp footwork sequence for new program and pretty opening. Getting back choctaws and rockers, dances are filling out rink fully again. Doing pointe for about 30 minutes a day x2 a week, pilates and weights so strength is getting better overall.

We'll see doctor says I look good and am doing well all things considered.:D :D

doubletoe
12-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Wow, great job, Coskater!! :D

Isk8NYC
12-07-2006, 01:29 AM
By the way, throughout the night I had to put more duct tape around my skates.Have you tried a pair of insulating boot covers? I just read (in the mfgs' propaganda) that "Proper fitting boot gloves add support to broken down skates" and "The elasticity of Boot Gloves add support to broken down skates." Couldn't hurt to try them - request a refund if it doesn't help you out.

Mrs Redboots
12-07-2006, 05:53 AM
We'll see doctor says I look good and am doing well all things considered.:D :DSo does our friend who saw you skate at the Halloween Classic! She said you look great!

fmh: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Well done!

Wet and Windy: My coach has whooping cough, as do a few of his skaters! They had thought it was a chest infection, but increasingly strong antibiotics were doing nothing, and now it has been diagnosed as whooping cough. I just hope we're immune, that's all!

Last night was Alexandra Palace's Christmas Dance Social - how on earth do they manage to make a waltz out of "Oh Come, all ye Faithful"? But they do - I danced it! Danced an appallingly bad Canasta, too; fluffed the 3-turn on the Hickory Hoe-down, nearly scraped down to the bare ice on the Willow, and had a great time!

Clear Blue Skies: Did a reasonable Swing Dance, I think, and survived the 14-step (which is all that can be said for it!).

Husband, as expected, passed his Level 1 Elements and Free this morning, with great scores - 12.7 for Elements (pass-mark is 12.0) and 4.3 for Free (pass mark is 4.0). He did have to reskate his cherry flip (toe-loop), but anybody can have a blip on an element and they always let you reskate at least once. So we are pleased.

Skate@Delaware
12-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Wet and Windy: Well, this is for last night...I was too tired to post. We had pair/ice dance lesson #2 in which we tried the Dutch Waltz in Killian position 8O ...what a wild ride that was! It was ok when hubby wasn't pulling me over to one side or the other...his lobes on the swing rolls were flat! and he was putting in an extra step after the progressive, which threw the whole timing off. He also lets his grip and arms go loose once we get going. It was very frustrating to get yanked over the ice like that.

I'm still traveling on my spins-the dizziness has returned! Which is crappy timing (little over one week to show); I'm studying my "understudy" part for the ice show (I'm Herr Drosselmeyer) and although the part is going to be dumbed down for my skating there are jumps and spins. Whatever. Rehearsals have sort of fallen apart the past few weeks.

Clear Blue Skies: other than those problems, everything else is good. Dance speed was decent. I am doing the leading. I can do a recognizable Bielman spiral (for the understudy part). Sort of happy about my attempts at the camel and sit spin (i.e. not as depressed as I had been).

And I came to the realization...if I don't test USFSA this year, USFSA comps do accept conversions from ISI. I have been told by my coach that we WILL be working up to the next level....and back 3's!!!!! I did one last night and didn't die so that's a good thing.

And, we are going to start kicking that salchow again, and bumping up that over-rotation. I've also been told to keep working on that ballet jump and the 1/2 toe-walley (as well as the toe-walley and the 1/2 lutz...and to skip the 1/2 flip).

Time to get my skates sharpened!!!:twisted:

ps-yay! i gained back 3 of the 4 pounds I lost! But, can I find a pair of jeans that fit really well? not yet....:frus:

samba
12-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Husband, as expected, passed his Level 1 Elements and Free this morning, with great scores - 12.7 for Elements (pass-mark is 12.0) and 4.3 for Free (pass mark is 4.0). He did have to reskate his cherry flip (toe-loop), but anybody can have a blip on an element and they always let you reskate at least once. So we are pleased.

Great news, pass on my congrats to him please.

Isk8NYC
12-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Congrats to "Mr Redboots!" He worked hard for that pass!

Skated for an hour on really bad ice with 13 year old skate guards that played more than they guarded. :roll:

CBS: Inside spirals are getting stronger and now I can do them consistently well.
Ran through most of the MITF patterns for Pre-Bronze, Bronze, Pre-Prel and Prel.
Back crossovers are getting stronger - I think it's the slow ice. LOL
Great back spins, especially back camels. (Couldn't try any flying camels - no crowd control.)
Sit and scratch spins were very good. (Medium ice, btw.)

W&W:
Have to master the MITF spiral pattern with the desired arm positions.
No jumps, other than a few waltz jumps and a handful of one-foots.
Forward camels went for a walkabout.

doubletoe
12-07-2006, 12:07 PM
ps-yay! i gained back 3 of the 4 pounds I lost! But, can I find a pair of jeans that fit really well? not yet....:frus:

Oooh, I love jeans and know waaay too much about them, LOL! PM me if you want a personal denim shopper, LOL!

doubletoe
12-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Congrats to Mr. Redboots! :D

Mrs Redboots
12-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Congrats to Mr. Redboots! :D
Thanks. And I could use a personal denim shopper - I seem to have "muffin tops" in all my jeans, sigh...

jazzpants
12-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Wet and windy:

Still flu-ish but went to a doctor today and she said my body is winning the fight with the flu. Funny, I sure don't feel like my body is winning the fight right then. :giveup:

Clear Blue Skies:

Well, the best way to describe it is when DH called me up to ask how I am... but he didn't ask me how I am... he ask this question: "Did you go to your lesson?" When I said "Yes!" he said, "Good! You're definitely feeling better! :twisted: :lol: "

Yes, I felt well enough to go to my lesson, though when I got there to stroke around a bit (not pushing hard), I was really starting to feel REALLY warm again (and it's a relatively brisk day here today.) I told primary coach to ease off on me. At first he didn't believe me... until I went into one of my coughing fits!!! :twisted:

And we were working on playing around with footwork today!!! And he was trying very hard for me to be more nit-picky! Then he worked me on part of the 8 step mohawks. (My FO mohawks SUCKS...was doing a choctaw rather than a FO mohawk!!! :roll: ... but he wasn't working on that today.) The feel he wants coming out of me is a "marching feeling" today. I think I finally got it towards the end and then he goes into his hissy fits and says "Did you DIE!!! Did you hit your head???" :evil: I said "No, but I sure got a headache around NOW!!!" :twisted:

doubletoe
12-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks. And I could use a personal denim shopper - I seem to have "muffin tops" in all my jeans, sigh...

LOL! You can sometimes get around those by getting jeans with the right proportioning (smaller hips, bigger waist) and the right rise (length from crotch to waist a little higher or a little lower), but on my "bloated" days, I still find that a babydoll top works magic (it's flared at the bottom so it doesn't show the muffin top!) :mrgreen:

Terri C
12-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Clear Blue Skies:
Part of me feels ready for this test tomorrow and have the feeling that I will pass!

Wet and Windy:
The other half of me is still not sure about passing.

Is this normal?

Rusty Blades
12-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Go get 'em Terri! We have faith in you!!!!

doubletoe
12-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Clear Blue Skies:
Part of me feels ready for this test tomorrow and have the feeling that I will pass!

Wet and Windy:

Is this normal?

Absolutely normal! Between now and tomorrow, just visualize yourself skating through every potential bobble and holding on (with nerves of steel and deeply bent knees!), to complete each edge with total control. . . one at a time, all the way to the end of the test. And if you make a mistake, don't let it mean anything, just tell yourself, "It's okay, there won't be any more mistakes, and I can pick up this one on the re-skate." :)
May the Skating Gods be with you and keep your edges true. :halo:

jazzpants
12-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Clear Blue Skies:

Wet and Windy:

Is this normal?
Perfectly normal!!!

When I was testing Bronze Moves on my third try, I was wondering whether or not I was going to pass too, mainly b/c I was hearing also that some people didn't think I would pass it this third time either. When I was starting to feel like I wasn't skating my best after the second move, I said "OOOOOH NO!!! I am NOT going to retry this test again!!! I am going to PASS IT!!! I'm going to prove those naysayers wrong!!! :evil: " And with all that anger in me, I push for the rest of the test and did well.

Like my siggie says, it's YOUR time to SHINE, girlfriend!!! So go out there and show'em all that 'ya got!!! ;) :mrgreen:

DallasSkater
12-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Terri: Fingers, eyes and toes are crossed for your success tomorrow! Though I have never tested, I can only imagine your feeling range is likely normal. Sleep well tonight and let only the confident part of you show up at the rink! We will be thinking about you!

Clear Blue skies: I had two rotations on a back spin today several times! free foot is not were it is supposed to be but more like just hanging out off the ice.... but this is exciting! I had no ability to even get a 1/2 rotation for over a month now! Sometimes I would start and immediately holt.... caught up on my inside edge. I showed my coach...she was less than excited about this accomplishment but I am thrilled! giggle.

Wet and Windy: Had bridge class last night. It was final rehearsal for the Christmas recital thingy. The skate director stood on the ice right were I had to do my toe loop out of a lunge and I was unable to get it in every run through. I went an hour before class and practiced and had no problem. The spin was not great from me at the end either! I get so anxious because I am required to come out of the spin and stretch into an ending position FACING the audience. I am not that great that I can't always predict when to come out to make sure I am ending facing the right way! lol. The anxiety seems to interfere with the spin which is the easy part!

The Skate director gave us a big lecture (wasting precious practice time) about how she wanted us to skate well as it was to attract new folks to the bridge program. She said we should be embarrassed! (keep in mind that I am the only adult...we are talking kids from ages 7-11). I held my tongue well but it was not easy as my thoughts raced to how unorganized this whole class was! It was just so offensive when we were really trying hard! I have to just keep remembering ...it is what it is!

Friday night will be the final rehearsal of my freestyle classes program for the same event. At least that one will only be performed once. Truthfully, it is in much worst shape than the bridge class one!

Had my MIF lesson today. My coach showed up late as usual despite my telling her I could not stay late due to my step class. I am really getting tired of this! I did not have the energy to ask her if she had cut my music or even tried to do anything with my program. I will leave that for my surprise in my freestyle lesson tomorrow! UGH!

Egads, I have got the skating blues! lol....I think I am done venting now though!

More Clear Blue skies: I have brownies in the oven just about done! They are there to self medicate my current mood state!

Sk8pdx
12-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Terri: Fingers, eyes and toes are crossed for your success tomorrow! Though I have never tested, I can only imagine your feeling range is likely normal. Sleep well tonight and let only the confident part of you show up at the rink! We will be thinking about you!

Clear Blue skies: I had two rotations on a back spin today several times! free foot is not were it is supposed to be but more like just hanging out off the ice.... but this is exciting!

More Clear Blue skies: I have brownies in the oven just about done! They are there to self medicate my current mood state!

Dallas, You are a woman after my own heart. I can sense the cyber aroma of chocolate decadance whisping through the air...:yum:

WTG on the 2 rotation backspin!!! You have increased your revolutions by 150 % You totally deserve brownies!!!:bow:

Terri C. Keep reading your thread just for you! You will pass this time. If I were there, we'd indulge over cheeseburgers at the little pub we went to after the meet up back in September. (was it Kelly's? the name of the place escapes me...:oops: )

Wet and Windy:
Already starting to get a little jittery about our holiday show tomorrow. At practice today I couldn't manage even a decent Salchow. I have lost my attitude spin and cannot find where I put it at all. (does someone have one I could borrow just for tomorrow?)

Clear Blue Skies:
....ummmmm. I'm really trying to think and end on a positive note here...maybe I will just go with the brownies-out-of-the-oven-thing with DallasSkater...:??

Thin-Ice
12-08-2006, 02:41 AM
And I came to the realization...if I don't test USFSA this year, USFSA comps do accept conversions from ISI. I have been told by my coach that we WILL be working up to the next level....and back 3's!!!!!

Better doublecheck this... some local competitions do, some don't. We'd hate to have you miss out on an event you really want to do, because of a minor technicality.

blue111moon
12-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Wet and Windy: The high school hockey group on the ice before us last night destroyed the ice and the new kid left in charge of the rink didn't take enough time to properly resurface so the ice SUCKED. I don't think he scraped it at all, just raced around dumping water down. So there were ruts over an inch deep everywhere and what wasn't gouged had ripples and bumps from the slush that hadn't been scraped off. I gave up doing figures because I couldn't hold onto a plain edge through all the bumps and holes; it was pointless to even try turns on ice that bad. Several of us vowed to speak to the rink manager ASAP about getting New Kid some Zamboni training or replacing him with one of the guys who knows how to make decent ice after hockey.

Spinning was also nearly impossible as there wasn't a square foot of level ice in the spin circle. The ice dancers were having fits because they kept getting stuck in ruts on the outside lobes.

Also my club has instituted a new ice policy where you get to use as much of the club ice offered (7 hours) weekly for one set monthly fee (basically the price of buying three sessions individually) so the sessions are getting more crowded. Which is good for the club but the regulars like me have gotten spoiled and now we have to adjust to more people and new patterns that we aren't familiar with. That plus the bad ice made finding jumping space a challenge, especially for me, since I jump CW.

Clear Sunny: In spite of the ice, I managed a few good spins (I was terrified of travelling out of my tiny spot!) and even had one semi-successful camel-back-sit combination spin. Coach was pleased.

And we went back to working flips and lutzes, after a long hiatus to allow my sprained ankle to heal. (At least that's the official excuse - mostly I just avoid lutzes like the plague because I hate - hate - hate them!) The flip is back to normal - rotated but two-footed. The lutz never leaves the ground. :) And we added a tricky little glide pose to the end of my change spiral, which had a couple of the kids giggling madly at he vast difference between coach's elegant demonstration and my klutzy attempts to copy her.

Debbie S
12-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Clear blue skies:
Landed some flips last night. Finally got the loop to work after struggling with it for some reason. The sessions were relatively peaceful - I was expecting insanity since there is a test session tomorrow, but things were very calm. I was able to run through the moves, including the 8-step. In my lesson, I learned a correct waltz-half loop-sal sequence (I had learned, or at least had been doing, it incorrectly before) for Bronze CM at NYI. We also worked on back power 3's - good thing that we did that now, I had been trying to do them based on what I'd seen the kids practice, and it turns out I was developing a bad habit on them.

My coach was impressed with how the forward cross rolls and 3-turns were coming along. The back cross rolls needed some work, but we spent some time on those I think I'm getting the idea of how the pushes are supposed to work. My coach told me (I didn't ask) that she thinks I'll be ready to test Silver MIF sometime in the spring. 8O (I assume she means really late spring, like June 20 - lol)

Wet and Windy:
What has happened to my loop and salchow? It took almost an entire session to get them back to normal. Power pulls still lack...um...power. BI 3's are still inconsistent. FO mohawk is still flat at high speeds. And I need more power in my transitions from the forward to back turns, b/c I run out of steam about halfway through the second half of the back turn lobes. Also, the lines and red dots on the ice are becoming very hard to see - they didn't repaint the ice when they replaced it in August, and now you can barely see any marks, so it's hard to tell where exactly the axis is.

LilJen
12-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Clear blue skies:

Finally got to the rink after almost 2 weeks off. Beautifully cut ice on the early morning session, and only about 1/2 dozen people. I'm spoiled. Didn't feel too bad after so long away.

Oh, and got to do several run-throughs of Dutch waltz and a couple of Canasta Tangos (haven't yet memorized the second so had the cheat sheet in hand).

Wet and windy:

3-turns are getting away from me. Don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong. Must conquer this, as they're, uh, rather important and come up ALL THE TIME!! Time to get back on a regular practice & lesson schedule.

My pattern on the Dutch Waltz doesn't much resemble the paper! I lose all kinds of steam on the first 2 swing rolls, then the end pattern is huge and I end up with zero space by the time I'm finished & ready to repeat the pattern. Guess it's time for some actual lessons on this!

Skate@Delaware
12-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Better doublecheck this... some local competitions do, some don't. We'd hate to have you miss out on an event you really want to do, because of a minor technicality.
Halloween Classic is the only USFSA that I do (as of right now) although I do have my eye on Skate Wilmington, so I will double-check, thanks for bringing that to my attention (I have forgotten that for every competition there is a different set of rules!)

Dallas: I love your type of self-medication! WTG on your backspin! I think you've been outspinning me lately! I've only been able to scrape the ice and just barely...spinning hasn't been my thing lately.

Sk8pdx: It was Kelly's....I sure wish we had one around here! Good food! Great Company!!!

TerriC: Kick Some ICE!!!!!!!

Skate@Delaware
12-08-2006, 11:23 AM
My pattern on the Dutch Waltz doesn't much resemble the paper! I lose all kinds of steam on the first 2 swing rolls, then the end pattern is huge and I end up with zero space by the time I'm finished & ready to repeat the pattern. Guess it's time for some actual lessons on this!
Be sure to push strong on the last stroke of the progressive before you swingroll, and when you push for each swing roll also. Make sure you really get down in the knee when you push off and push off the whole side of your blade...it helps!

I'm working through this with hubby...his lobes on the swing rolls are f-l-a-t!!! So when we are in Killian and doing the dutch waltz and hit the swing rolls, we are fighting each other because he tends to go straight and my lobes are deeper (although still not deep enough according to our coach!)...

Good Luck!

Debbie S
12-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Halloween Classic is the only USFSA that I do (as of right now) although I do have my eye on Skate Wilmington, so I will double-check, thanks for bringing that to my attention (I have forgotten that for every competition there is a different set of rules!)If you want to skate Pre-Bronze, you do not need to have passed any USFSA tests. You'd be "skating up", which is allowed at any comp except AN. :) I may do Skate Wilmington in July (can't think that far ahead - lol) - hopefully, there will be some other Bronze ladies that will sign up this year - for the past few years, there haven't been any.

One note: it is possible to disqualify yourself from competing at a particular USFSA level if you've passed beyond a certain level in ISI. Check the rulebook to see the highest ISI test you can pass and still be Pre-Bronze before you take any more tests.

Skate@Delaware
12-08-2006, 11:28 AM
If you want to skate Pre-Bronze, you do not need to have passed any USFSA tests. You'd be "skating up", which is allowed at any comp except AN. :) I may do Skate Wilmington in July (can't think that far ahead - lol) - hopefully, there will be some other Bronze ladies that will sign up this year - for the past few years, there haven't been any.
That is something that I have to consider...either ISI or USFSA...and testing conversions. I think Don Korte's site has a chart. My coach is pushing for me to pass up to ISI Freestyle 4 but I don't know if that's possible by spring...I can barely do a back 3...maybe ISI Freestyle 3 and I think that's still under USFSA pre-bronze (or maybe equivalent). I will check it out.

There is another comp at The Pond in Newark at the end of February that I'd like to do. Haven't heard any more about it, though.

Isk8NYC
12-08-2006, 11:36 AM
These are the crossover ISI:USFSA levels from the Gay Games website.
(Their competitions are based on the ISI test structure.)

ISI FREESTYLE LEVEL USFS FREESTYLE LEVEL
Freestyle 3 Adult Bronze or Pre-Prelim
Freestyle 4 Adult Silver or Preliminary
Freestyle 5 Adult Gold or Juvenile
Freestyle 6 Intermediate
Freestyle 7 Novice
Freestyle 8 Junior
Freestyle 9 Senior

ISI DANCE LEVEL USFS DANCE LEVEL
Dance 3 Preliminary
Dance 4 Pre-Bronze
Dance 5 Bronze
Dance 6 Pre-Silver
Dance 7 Silver
Dance 8 Pre-Gold
Dance 9 Gold

I had to laugh after looking this up on their website (http://www.igfsu.org/ISITests.htm).
They have a competition called the "Fabulous Cup." I love it - they're so outrageous!

jazzpants
12-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Here's what I took out from the entry form (Non Qualifying) for Adult Sectionals - Pacific Coast:

For Pre Bronze FS:

A competitor in the adult pre-bronze free skate event must have passed the adult pre-bronze free skate test and no higher than the adult pre-bronze free skate test, the standard pre-preliminary free skate test, or the ISI freestyle 3. No lutz, axel, or double jumps are permitted. No flying spins permitted.

For Bronze FS:

A competitor in the adult bronze free skate event must have passed the adult bronze free skate test and no higher than the adult bronze free skate test, the standard preliminary free skate test, the ISI freestyle 4 or prior to Oct.- 1, 1977, the 2nd figure test. No axel and no double jumps permitted.

Debbie S
12-08-2006, 11:46 AM
OK, I just looked this up in the rulebook (killing time while waiting for Terri C to come on ;) ) and it says that competitors in Pre-Bronze may not have passed higher than ISI FS 3. In Bronze, you may not pass higher than ISI FS 4.

So if you've passed ISI 3, you can compete in Pre-Bronze, or any higher level, although to compete in Bronze, you need to pass at least Pre-Bronze FS (although there are some comps that occasionally make exceptions and allow you to skate Bronze as a No-Test if there is no Pre-Bronze offered).

jazzpants
12-08-2006, 11:50 AM
OK, I just looked this up in the rulebook (killing time while waiting for Terri C to come on ;) ) ... with BAITED BREATH!!! :lol: :twisted: :P

Skate@Delaware
12-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks, guys! We will pay close attention to this...maybe there is a reason why I have such trouble with those stupid patterns....:frus:

icedancer2
12-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Clear Blue Skies: The ice at my main rink, which is usually crappy has been FABULOUS this week and I feel like I know how to skate again! Apparently because some of us had been crabbing about it and starting to skate at the other rinks in the area, my coach said something to the management to the extent of: "It's too cold, the ice is crap and it's too dark and so you are going to lose your adult skaters to the other rinks!"

Wow, I guess they heard her this time -- it was warmer, the ice was beautiful glass (great patch [ figure] ice!!) and the manager actually turned the lights on (all the lights, not just the bare minimum that you need to see) during the session!! Here's hoping they keep it up...

Working on Bronze Moves with a vengence -- perimeter Power STroking getting stronger and stronger -- learning to really lean and present myself on those edges. Alternating BO edges improving -- more power, etc.

Wet and Windy: Oh, that dratted Power 3 step-forward on the right side. I am ending up doing it really slowly like a figure and then I can step forward. Any speed and I am scared. I really have to get over this. Also stepping forward on the right side of the 5-step. My coach figures I'll get this one, but the other one she said, I would really have to work on to get it right. I don't want to disappoint her by putting out a crappy test and so I think I will have to just work this one until it happens every time. Maybe I will drug the judges so they don't notice how slowly I am moving...

das_mondlicht
12-08-2006, 03:14 PM
CBS: started shaping up Bronze moves ladder. Coach had me worked on conforming to the patterns. I figured 4 out of 5 patterns in Bronze moves are using 5-lobe pattern. Overall moves run-through fine.(at this point, we are not talking about primary focus or secondary focus yet)

WW: my dreaded F power-3...I had hard time to hold the push to FO3 from BXOR. Some residue habit from PBM F3 pattern, I think. Will need more hard work on holding the FO push to the top of the lobe.

Rusty Blades
12-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Wet and Windy: Coach suggested I need more knee-bend

Clear Blue Skies: I decided to drop the top two hooks instead of one - what a difference! A LOT more knee bend without much loss of lateral support.

Spent some time on backwards - improving (especially with deeper knee bends!)

Coach and I talked about my music at some length.

Wet and Windy: Still cant decide which of the 5 renditions to use.

Clear Blue Skies: In the last half hour I had the ice ALL TO MYSELF! With empty ice and my iPod I was able to try out patterns for my choreography on the full ice :mrgreen: - some I REALLY like!

Wet and Windy: After running though the full 2:34 about four times, I was POOPED!

Sk8pdx
12-08-2006, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=icedancer2;300383...Maybe I will drug the judges so they don't notice how slowly I am moving...[/QUOTE]

What is it that you like?--- just in case you are on my panel in January?:P
Or better yet, I'll even have a swig of the good stuff before warm up just to loosen up my knees a bit... He he he.

Wet and Windy:
Well, the holiday show is over, thank goodness! I gave up on my salchow toe-loop and I couldn't even manage a waltz jump tap-toe very well in it's place. I dunno what happened. I felt confident going on the ice but then seeing the whole audience was distracting. Attitude spin went well. After I got off the ice, Coach was proud that I could improvise and my dress was pretty. :giveup: I have learned in skating that it doesn't matter how bad you are at something, you are OK just as long as you look good doing it.

Clear Blue Skies:
... are ahead. After watching video of my holiday program, it actually wasn't *that* bad. It looked like I had good flow. Well, on to more things now that it is out of the way, Bronze MIF is in January so I can focus on that more.

I will be a little more relaxed after a glass of bubbly to celebrate Terri C passing bronze mif. ... and more chocolate.

Bill_S
12-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Wet & Windy: it was COLD in the rink this morning. I'd guess in the 20's (F), and the ice was brittle. At the three turn apex into a spin, I would often shatter the ice and the resulting divot hole would throw me off. I wonder if outdoor skating is like that?

Clear Blue Skies: A woman complained to the rink staff about the temperature around 8 am, and they fired up the heaters in the bleachers. It helped take the chill off by the end of the 2 hour session.

Sit spins are improving and I'm getting lower. I still have to find a way to close the knees up during the spin though.

icedancer2
12-09-2006, 11:06 AM
What is it that you like?--- just in case you are on my panel in January?:P

I doubt that I will be on your panel since they will probably put us on at the same time -- although that would be a unique situation... judge you while I'm skating my Moves...

Okay, pass the grog:P

Terri C
12-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Tried to skate today to celebrate passing moves yesterday, but my body refused to move when I got on the ice. It was COLD and I was still tired, so I packed up and went home early. Glad I only signed in to skate a hour- so I only missed out on a half hour.
Did play with Silver moves a bit for strictly assessment reasons- these are going to be awhile!

Rusty Blades
12-09-2006, 03:50 PM
I was still pretty stiff from yesterday’s session but continued on back edges and playing with turns, all with LOTS of knee bend. I guess I am going to have to start walking around all the time with knees well bent to build up those muscles! 8O

Clear Blue Skies: I was getting really REALLY nice cross on the forward cross-overs!

Wet & Windy: Windy? Yes, I was that too but nobody noticed 8O After 2 hours, I was developing a sore spot like a “nylon burn” at the bulge just behind my big toe, and noticed that my feet are moving around a bit more in my boots. I think I either have to switch to light cotton socks or try barefoot.

quarkiki2
12-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Wet ande Windy: Left my brain somewhere else for my lesson... Was having trouble with stepping forward onto the inside edge after the crossover on the PBronze 2 turn pattern. Grr! And also on stepping forward on the choctaw into a forward oh-so-close to scratch spin. Worked on these things for most of my lesson.

Needed to work more on the waltz-8 and other full-rink moves, but didn't get to them :( Next week???

Clear Blue Skies: Skated with Jessi and she's improving quite nicely! You go girl!

Got a wee bit of pop on my 1/2 flip and 1/2 loop was solidish. 1/2 lutz jumped, but not far. Toe loop, salchow and waltz -- let's NOT talk about these...

Finally, I skated in a skirt today. It was trade-off for getting Jessi on a freestyle session...

doubletoe
12-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Wet & Windy
Skated my program at our club's Christmas recital yesterday and completely botched my flying camel . . . again! I also 2-footed my axel and didn't get enough revolutions on the change foot part of my combo spin. Based on the videotape in my program, a few positions and transitions need a little more work, too.

Clear Blue Skies
I got some big applause during the highlight of my program, which was very validating! And, to my surprise, when I watched the video today I didn't cringe even once! I didn't even have any criticisms of my program from the opening pose until just before the botched flying camel, and it's rare for me to have no criticisms of my program for an entire 30 seconds! :D Hopefully, I'll be able to polish everything even more based on what I saw in my video, and I'll have more than 30 seconds of positive reaction the next time I get a performace video, LOL!

Sk8pdx
12-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Wet and Windy:
Ouch! fell 3 times today attempting flip jumps--*hard*. Same spot on my right knee. That's going to leave a mark.:oops:

Clear blue skies:
Jump and Spin class is awesome! I am making progress on loop, flip, and backspin. We focused on flip today. I almost feel like I could land that sucker before getting a decent loop. :giveup: Scratch spins were centered today and they really do look like a scratch spin too (ahh, *finally*!). I am successful at getting the free leg in front. I am happy about that. I am looking forward to having a critique of my Bronze mif near the end of the month before testing in January.

2007 is going to be a wonderful year, I can tell!:)

Icedancer2, 3 words: Hot buttered rum :yum:

jazzpants
12-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Icedancer2, 3 words: Hot buttered rum :yum:OOOOOH!!! THAT would probably go down good as a cough syrup for my cough too!!! :twisted: :lol:

doubletoe: Nice going on the Christmas program! Hey! 30 seconds of no criticisms is a good thing!!! ;)

doubletoe
12-09-2006, 10:32 PM
doubletoe: Nice going on the Christmas program! Hey! 30 seconds of no criticisms is a good thing!!! ;)

Thanks! I can see you understand the pain of watching yourself on video and what a big deal it is NOT to cringe, LOL!

So how are you feeling??

jazzpants
12-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks! I can see you understand the pain of watching yourself on video and what a big deal it is NOT to cringe, LOL!

Yes, GOD do I hate seeing myself on video. Even though this past Sectionals was less cringe-worthy, it still don't settle well for me. LOTS to work on, trust me!!!

So how are you feeling??Still coughing but feeling MUCH better!!! I should be back skating tomorrow afternoon, no problem! :mrgreen: Actually I could have skated today but there's a torrential rainstorm going thru our area now... I just felt too lazy to go today given that I had already did cardio and pilates already this morning and after a long (for me) absence from the gym... so I'm taking it slow getting back into the routine now.

doubletoe
12-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Yes, GOD do I hate seeing myself on video. Even though this past Sectionals was less cringe-worthy, it still don't settle well for me. LOTS to work on, trust me!!!

Still coughing but feeling MUCH better!!! I should be back skating tomorrow afternoon, no problem! :mrgreen: Actually I could have skated today but there's a torrential rainstorm going thru our area now... I just felt too lazy to go today given that I had already did cardio and pilates already this morning and after a long (for me) absence from the gym... so I'm taking it slow getting back into the routine now.

Hey, now that rainstorm is down here, LOL! Having some moisture in the air after these weeks of dry air is really a nice relief, though. :)