View Full Version : my newest goals - are they reasonable

miraclegro
12-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Okay, ya'll,

I just order the butt pad(s) to start working on axel and double jumps. I am in pretty good shape for my age - 46, but wonder if i am pushing the envelope. I can't afford any more major injuries, just having done a broken foot this year, and not wishing to share a story of a potential future injury with a co-worker!

Any tips or advice? i feel like i am starting to pass over a plateau. I am actually feeling pretty good about my gold MIF, also, and want to aim for more!

techskater
12-01-2006, 06:16 PM
I don't see why they aren't reasonable if you are at a point where you should be working on them (have all other singles consistent and single-single combinations, good back spin).
Heck, I have double Axel as a goal (longer term than say double flip) and am not even working seriously on a double Lutz yet (trying to get consistency on my double loop in the program)!!
Moves, heck I'd shoot to pass the Gold and Intermediate. Haven't seen your skating our your ability to pick up the MIF quickly to comment beyond those.

doubletoe
12-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Which foot did you break? If it wasn't the landing foot, then the axel and double sal probably won't be any worse of a risk than any other jump. Just make sure your coach gives you exercises like jump+loop+loop and jump+backspin to prepare you for them, and if possible, learn the technique and timing on the harness so you minimize the weird splats! ;)

miraclegro
12-01-2006, 08:19 PM
It was my left foot. Landing foot is my right. Now that we FINALLY have a local rink, i am getting more deep in the knee, and more confidence. :)

Sk8pdx
12-01-2006, 09:06 PM
miraclegro,
I think that working towards Axel and doubles is not unreasonable at all. If you say you are in good shape for your age and have no other physical restrictions, I say, Go for it! My coaches are always making statements during lessons such as... when I teach you Axel this certain exercise will help, blah blah blah, and other comments in passing such as, (while correcting my habit of not checking into a salchow entry...) when you are doing doubles..blah blah blah.. they are planting positive imprints and encouraging me to stretch my comfort zone. (yes, sometimes I lack a little confidence at the moment, so I have to borrow their faith for now) My coach has a lady in her 50's that has just landed her Axel solidly and is doing doubles. If she can do it, I do not see any reason that you and I couldn't either :bow: Until then, I will dream. for my goals right now are focused on achieving the attainable small steps i.e. back spin, loop and flip jumps, to rise up towards my bigger *dreams* (pairs, axel, AN, etc...).

Chico
12-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Sounds okay to me too. =-)

Chico

Mrs Redboots
12-02-2006, 05:37 AM
Go for it! You'll never know until you try. Husband is talking about an axel (mind you, he has to get a flip and a lutz first), and he's (just about) nearer 60 than 50!

miraclegro
12-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Thanks for all the input, you guys.

Do i need more than just the butt pads - like elbow pads or a helmet ?:) (just kidding about the helmet)

Skate@Delaware
12-02-2006, 07:27 AM
Thanks for all the input, you guys.

Do i need more than just the butt pads - like elbow pads or a helmet ?:) (just kidding about the helmet)
bubble wrap!!! :lol:

just kidding!!! I would get elbow pads only if you hit your elbows a lot. Or learn how to avoid hitting your elbows (duck and tuck).

miraclegro
12-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Okay Delaware,

couldn't help but laugh really hard at the thought of me wearing bubble wrap all over!

Seriously, though, i don't know what else i'll hit until i work on these tricks!

Yipes!

lovepairs
12-03-2006, 09:06 AM
No sense in placing limitations upon yourself at any age. Just keep pushing the envelope forward and do what you can do as you can do it.

Team Arthritis
12-04-2006, 09:49 AM

We occaisionally have pros practice at our rink when they are trying to get back into shape before a tour. Man, I've seen some spectacular falls! One trick used by several of them, (heck and Brian Boitano too now that I think of it) is to wear a rolled up stocking cap when working on glitchy jumps - the rolled edge gives your head a noce rim of protection. Cut a hole if you have a pony tail and get even better protection.
Lyle

flo
12-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Give it a try - only you will really know if it's possible or not.

For an on ice Halloween party I went as a special delivery package and wore a costume out of bubble wrap - complete with skirt, top, hairband and "fragile" stickers.

NCSkater02
12-05-2006, 02:55 PM
or a helmet ?:) (just kidding about the helmet)

I've had two on-ice concussions, and my coach has threatened more than once to put me in a helmet. I told her that would have to be on public ice, not freestyle--I've got an image to maintain.:mrgreen:

phoenix
12-05-2006, 03:16 PM
My bun/pony tail has served me well several times when I went over backwards (a favorite trick of mine :frus: ). This summer I had one fall I'm sure would have resulted in a concussion were it not for that.