View Full Version : Trousers question

Mrs Redboots
12-01-2006, 03:15 PM
We decided we couldn't keep on sewing up Husband's skating trousers, which came out of the Ark and, while they're fine for dance, they keep splitting whenever he does a spiral. So with his first free skating test next week, he has treated himself to a new pair.

Which arrived today. As appears to be common practice, the hem unfinished, and elastic has been provided to hold them down, together with a pair of hooks and eyes.

Now, in his old trousers, the elastic just went all the way across the foot. So, speaking as the one who will certainly have to pin the hem, and probably sew both it and the elastic up, is the hook absolutely necessary? What do male skaters here think/do?

RSVP, because I need to have these done by Wednesday night so he can have a trial skate in them at Alexandra Palace!

InsideAxel
12-01-2006, 03:54 PM
I prefer to use velcro on the two halves of the straps instead of the hook & eye attachments. The velcro then joins the two halves underneath the boot.

Kelton

Clarice
12-01-2006, 08:02 PM
I always use velcro to attach the straps under the boot, too. I also add a heavy-duty hook at the front bottom of the pant leg to hook onto the laces - I usually use something called a "coat hook".

Mrs Redboots
12-02-2006, 05:33 AM
Ah - the elastic goes outside the boot, not inside it? On his present pair, the elastic goes round his foot, not the boot - hence the confusion!

jenlyon60
12-02-2006, 09:38 AM
I've generally seen the elastic put outside the boots. Some people put the velcro or snaps at the bottom (i.e. middle of the sole), thus both pieces of elastic would be about the same length. Some people keep the elastic as one piece, sew it on one side of the pants leg, then put the velcro or snap fastener on the other side as well as on the other end of the elastic.

cathrl
12-03-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm here! And I'm being brave!

Something that I was told for when I have to do this for my smallest skater, though I haven't yet...

It's best to split the under-the-skate strap in the middle (so you have two short ones which connect to each other, rather than one long one which connects back to the other side of the trousers leg) because then if it comes undone while you're skating, neither end is long enough to trail on the ice and possibly go under the blade. Much safer.

Catherine.

flo
12-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Cathrl - great idea.

Isk8NYC
12-04-2006, 10:19 AM
It's best to split the under-the-skate strap in the middle (so you have two short ones which connect to each other, rather than one long one which connects back to the other side of the trousers leg) because then if it comes undone while you're skating, neither end is long enough to trail on the ice and possibly go under the blade. Much safer.
Catherine.
That's brilliant! In our show, both the men and women wear pants for the pro number. The women's pants never come with stirrups and are usually bell-bottoms that are 12" too long. Why we get measured, I will never know! :giveup:

After watching one woman flop on her stomach several times when she caught her pants leg, I sewed on black elastic and used heavy-duty snaps on the pants and one side of the stirrup. Next time, I'll use Catherine's suggestion and put the snaps in the middle of the two elastics. Thanks, cathrl!

I like this idea, too:
I also add a heavy-duty hook at the front bottom of the pant leg to hook onto the laces - I usually use something called a "coat hook".

Of course, this year we'll be in skirts, right? LOL

Skate@Delaware
12-04-2006, 10:23 AM
That's brilliant! In our show, both the men and women wear pants for the pro number. The women's pants never come with stirrups and are usually bell-bottoms that are 12" too long. Why we get measured, I will never know! :giveup:

After watching one woman flop on her stomach several times when she caught her pants leg, I sewed on black elastic and used heavy-duty snaps on the pants and one side of the stirrup. Next time, I'll use Catherine's suggestion and put the snaps in the middle of the two elastics. Thanks, cathrl!
We had "harem-type" pants for a show...they were really long but we put rubber bands (the thick ones) on the bottom and tucked the pants up inside...so it would blouse.

Our ice dancer guy has the elastic that snaps on the bottom and his is one piece. He never wears it so tight that it undoes itself, and it is a large heavy-duty snap (rather like the kind used for kid's clothing-you set it with a special tool). He also has a hook that attaches to the lace of his boot to keep it down in front.

mtj4500
12-04-2006, 10:49 AM

Something that I was told for when I have to do this for my smallest skater, though I haven't yet...

Catherine.

Hi Catherine - nice to see you here!

Yes, that's how my trousers fasten. Mine are velcro but some use poppers and there is also a hook to go over the laces to keep the front in place.

Mike

Mrs Redboots
12-04-2006, 02:17 PM

Catherine.

Hi, Catherine - good to see you here.

I've now made him put them on with his skates on, and have put a pin in where the hem needs to go. I have to get them finished by Wednesday night, and am still not sure how to attach the elastic. I haven't any sew-on Velcro, and I don't trust the stick-on kind, but a hook & eye will be awkward to do up underneath his foot. Hmmmm.....

But let's get that darn hem done first....

samba
12-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi Redboots

I dont know what the problem would be with hook and eyes, son's always had hooks and eyes and lets face it we manage with them on over the boot tights and I'm sure there will be someone to do them for him if he has a problem like maybe his dear wife.

Samba

jenlyon60
12-04-2006, 03:33 PM
The hook and eye under the boot is similar to the hook and eye or velcro under the boot that those of us who wear OTB tights have to deal with fastening when we wear the OTB.

If the issue is determining length of the elastic, my guess is that you make the elastic so that you sew it in with 3-4 centimeters (1-2 inches) inside the trousers leg, then hanging down and about 8-10 centimeters extra to allow for going under the boot and some overlap. You want to have enough "free play" in the elastic when it's fastened that the elastic isn't super stretched when it's fastened together. Otherwise if it gets stretched more than expected, the hooks or snaps or whatever may come loose unexpectedly.

Mrs Redboots
12-05-2006, 08:53 AM
The hook and eye under the boot is similar to the hook and eye or velcro under the boot that those of us who wear OTB tights have to deal with fastening when we wear the OTB.Ah, but I never do fasten anything under my boots when I wear OTB tights!

You want to have enough "free play" in the elastic when it's fastened that the elastic isn't super stretched when it's fastened together. Otherwise if it gets stretched more than expected, the hooks or snaps or whatever may come loose unexpectedly.You do not, however, want to have it so loose that it hangs down on to the blade, as then it does come undone. Guess how I know that!

So we will be trying again this evening, but I am also going to have to tighten the elastic in the waist - we did buy the size he takes, but the waistband is loose - or he risks mooning the judges on Thursday!

Sigh - I hate sewing!!!!

jenlyon60
12-05-2006, 09:26 AM
Ah, but I never do fasten anything under my boots when I wear OTB tights!

You do not, however, want to have it so loose that it hangs down on to the blade, as then it does come undone. Guess how I know that!

So we will be trying again this evening, but I am also going to have to tighten the elastic in the waist - we did buy the size he takes, but the waistband is loose - or he risks mooning the judges on Thursday!

Sigh - I hate sewing!!!!

Yes... It's a fine line between enough and too much loose elastic. I think maybe the right amount would be however much to be snug if Robert is standing in his skates nice and tall and stretching his arms high over his head, since that ends to pull through the torso.

I'd rather adjust elastic on the bottom of the pants legs than on the waist.