View Full Version : Pairs lifts for Duffers

Team Arthritis
12-01-2006, 03:00 PM
My wife and I have started doing simple pairs and coach wants us to do lifts with my arms fully extended yet I've seen plenty of adult competitions where the guy only lifts his hands to his shoulder level (on Axel, Lutz and Loop just up to mid chest). This is certainly much easier.

So the question is - how high to pairs lifts need to be for adult Bronze?
Lyle

NoVa Sk8r
12-01-2006, 05:30 PM
On the axel and lutz lifts, the guy only fully extends *one* arm (normally, the right arm for CCW lifts), while the other remains at chest level. I cannot imagine NOT fully extending the right arm, as that would make the lift unsteady and would probably hurt your arm. That said, I have seen competitors do an axel lift with both hands extended. AFAIK, there is nothing in the rule book that prohibits this.

For the loop lift, both hands are on the lady's waist, and they extend--ideally--fully extneded. AFAIK, the loop lift does not need to be fully extended, thought it looks nicer.

USFS just published a clarification memo (albeit for juvenile and intermediate skaters; this was issues becuase at Jr. Nats, CoP is being used, but Code of Poitns was created for junior- and senior-level skaters, so adjustments are needed), so this might help you or at least provide you with some insight into the judging philosophy:

*Group 2 Waist loop lift- Group 2 waist loop lifts will be called in the following manner:
-Full extension lifts will be called as well as additional features that meet the criteria
-Lifts that do not reach full extension will be called as group 2 level 1
Reason- the Tech Panel takes this into account and considers it in the SOV for the lifts generally. There is no scale of value for lifts that do not achieve full extension. Teams performing the waist loop lift that does not reach full extension will receive value of the element, however due to the difficulty level of this element it is not possible to receive a level higher than 1.

lovepairs
12-03-2006, 09:21 AM
You don't need fully extended over head lifts to either compete or test Adult Bronze.

If you go here and scroll through the annoucement form you will see a chart that explains what you need for competition in the Adult Bronze Pairs catagory:
http://adultnationals2007.org/2007_USAdultAnnouncement.pdf

If you go here, you will see what you need to pass the Adult Bronze Pair Test:
http://www.usfsa.org/content/JP_PR-Adult%20Bronze%20Pair.pdf

Team Arthritis
12-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the help. I guess part of what I don't understand is what is an overhead lift (that's not allowed)???? I.e. If eather of my arms is fully extended then she is certainly over my head! Right now we are still just working dance lifts - lots of fun and at our comfort level. I still hit my toepicks too often and ruin the flow.

Anyone going to general counsel next year - How about proposing a pre-bronze adult pairs using dance lifts?:idea:

Thanks
Lyle

flo
12-04-2006, 09:43 AM
If both arms are fully extended over your head, they're overhead.
Keep working with the dance lifts! They're a great way to get use to lifting and many can be used or modified for use in pairs. The rules on these lifts, and carries have changed significantly over the years. Also, you may want to make sure your coach is well versed with the adult pair structure, which has also undegone significant changes.

rlichtefeld
12-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the help. I guess part of what I don't understand is what is an overhead lift (that's not allowed)???? I.e. If eather of my arms is fully extended then she is certainly over my head! Right now we are still just working dance lifts - lots of fun and at our comfort level. I still hit my toepicks too often and ruin the flow.

Anyone going to general counsel next year - How about proposing a pre-bronze adult pairs using dance lifts?:idea:

Thanks
Lyle

I'll be attending Governing Council, but a change would have to start with the Adult Committee.

As to overhead lifts, my understanding is that for it to be an overhead lift the lady's hips have to be over your head: Platter, Press, etc.

Rob

lovepairs
12-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi Team,

If you're still confused about exactly what an "overhead" lift is, ask your coach, or a pairs coach at you rink, to teach you and your wife how to do a platter lift OFF ICE. This will clear it up for you, probably in a nanosecond, exactly what it means to put your wife "overhead." Sorry, that sounds a little kinky...have fun lifting! :P