View Full Version : (Not so much any more) Broken Ankle Update

sk8pics
11-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Today I went back for a checkup with my orthopedist and x-rays. I am still smiling as I type this. He looked at the x-rays and said, "I love these x-rays, I love these x-rays, I love these x-rays!" Me: "Would you like to tell me what you love about them?" He went on about the alignment and positioning of all the bones being so great, and of course the screw not being broken. Means I am a GOOD patient. He also moved my foot a LOT and it didn't hurt at all!

So, I say, "When can you take that screw out?" Doc: "Oh, around Dec 27 maybe." Me: "What? You said 6 weeks last time, and that's Dec 21. I'm just sayin'." Doc: "Hmnnn.... you're right. Let me get a second opinion." And he called another surgeon and talked to him about when he takes out this screw, blah blah blah. Then he hangs up the phone and says, "We're not going to take it out yet. But you can start putting weight on it in two weeks." M: 8O 8O :D :bow: He goes on to say he'll see me again a week after that.

And then we had this exchange:
Me: "But you guys told me 30 times not to put any weight on that foot or I will break the screw!"
Doc: "Well, maybe we shouldn't have told you 30 times... It will be okay."

He went on to explain that there is a membrane between the two bones, and he wants to make sure it is really recovered and healed before thinking about taking the screw out. And in fact, even if it breaks, if it doesn't bother me, he won't take it out at all. So it is a wait-and-see kind of thing.

So then I asked how long he thought it would be before I don't need the walker any more, and he said, "I think you'll be on a cane by Christmas."

If I could, I would be jumping up and down. This is pretty fast for this particular injury, just over 6 weeks from surgery to weight-bearing.

He also increased my physical therapy and wrote a scrip for more stuff in PT. So I'll go 3x a week and we'll get to do work on my range of motion and other "therapeutic exercises." I was kind of bummed my regular PT wasn't there today, because I know he will be all happy for me, too!

Oh, my doc also told me about a certain football player who played in the superbowl a couple of years ago... with the exact same type of screw in his ankle that I have in mine. I said, "Well, figure skating is harder than football!" ;) And he was like, oh of course! I have the coolest surgeon.

So, that's my news for today!

Raye
11-30-2006, 04:22 PM
SUCH GOOD NEWS
THAT'S AWESOME
YAAAAAAAAAY

and of course Figure Skating is harder than football - anybody knows that!!
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Skate@Delaware
11-30-2006, 06:50 PM
That's the best early Christmas present anyone could get!!!! Yay, Pat!!!!!

jazzpants
11-30-2006, 07:35 PM
So then I asked how long he thought it would be before I don't need the walker any more, and he said, "I think you'll be on a cane by Christmas."And he ain't talking "candy cane" either!!! YAAAAAAAAAY!!! That is WONDERFUL news!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sue123
11-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Congratulations!!!! Great news! You must be a really good patient.

Debbie S
11-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Yay, sk8pics! That's awesome! Did he say how long it will be before you can skate? ;) :halo: :) Someday, he can tell another patient the story of how a certain adult figure skater competed in Adult Nationals with that screw! :P

Mrs Redboots
12-01-2006, 08:48 AM
What a lovely Christmas present! Looks as though you'll be back on the ice sooner than you thought.

Isk8NYC
12-01-2006, 02:25 PM
What great news! Don't jump up and down for real yet, please! :halo:

Team Arthritis
12-01-2006, 02:50 PM

yeh!
congrats
Lyle

sk8pics
12-01-2006, 03:46 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't worry! I'm not going to do anything to jeopardize my speedy recovery at this point! I just can't believe I'm doing so well. I guess it pays to listen to your doctor and your PT.

Debbie,
We haven't discussed skating yet. First things first: can I manage to walk and get around without pain and without the screw irritating me. And have to wait for the swelling to go down. There's no way my foot would fit into my boot any time soon. That may take a few months, I think. But we'll see.

Thanks everyone. i appreciate the support.

jazzpants
12-01-2006, 04:55 PM
We haven't discussed skating yet. First things first: can I manage to walk and get around without pain and without the screw irritating me. And have to wait for the swelling to go down. There's no way my foot would fit into my boot any time soon. That may take a few months, I think. But we'll see.

Thanks everyone. i appreciate the support.Which reminds me... are you up for coming by this Christmas for the skatingforum get-together. No, we're not expecting you to be on ice with us, but would like to extend the invite to you nonetheless to meet up with whoever I can get to come! :)

Keep an eye out for this section. I'll post a thread suggesting a place, date and time sometime in the next two weeks. :)

das_mondlicht
12-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Wonderful news! Congratulations!

Luna

sk8pics
12-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Which reminds me... are you up for coming by this Christmas for the skatingforum get-together. No, we're not expecting you to be on ice with us, but would like to extend the invite to you nonetheless to meet up with whoever I can get to come! :) :)

Not sure yet, but I would like to. If I'm really walking halfway decently with a cane by Christmas, it's more likely! We'll see. I'm going to be working between Christmas and New Year's because there's no sense in wasting vacation days if I can't go anywhere or do anything! Keep me posted!

Chico
12-01-2006, 09:50 PM
=-) Good news.

Chico