View Full Version : Need advice on APBM F3 pattern

das_mondlicht
11-30-2006, 11:30 AM
I am new here but enjoy reading the threads for about a year already. I started ice-sk8ing back in Spring 2003 as an adult skater and ice-dancing this fall just to improve my overall skating. I got serious about testing just this month.

I watched PSA moves video and USFSA adult educational skating videos to prepare my first move test. Just curious about the new F3 pattern. Here is my recording on this move. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgDI07r5M5g Any comments, insights or feedback are highly appreciated. Thanks!

Luna

Isk8NYC
11-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Nice video - you have long hair!

I like the new pattern, although I still have to master the threes-on-the-line for the standard track.
(Need it regardless of testing track since I have to teach it eventually.)

One trick to remember is to "hug" the circle with your shoulders before stepping from the XO/back inside edge to the forward INSIDE edge. It also helps (new trick for me!) to position your foot in the air on the FI edge. When you step down, you won't mess up and step onto a flat or outside edge.

Just a suggestion: after the FO3, you have to deliberately step onto that BI edge. I think you're stepping onto a flat and then leaning onto the BI edge, which isn't correct.

My skating director believes that transition is the same wide power push/two foot transition as the Forward Power 3 Turns pattern. Can anyone else confirm this?

PS - Great name, Luna! Very appropriate - do you speak German?

das_mondlicht
11-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Danke, stepping to a deep BI, holding the BI after BXOR and stepping to a deep FI are the difficult parts for me. I will practice the tips!

This video was my first taped one. I got a chance to watch my own skating. After watching my videos (all of APBMs), I then realize I skate on flat a lot and the worse thing is I didn't bend enough...

Yes, I have long hair and always save it for LocksOfLove. I believe I got their website from this forum as well.

Luna

Team Arthritis
11-30-2006, 01:33 PM
first, you look great and congratulations to the camera friend this was well done!

This pattern is suprisingly hard when you get up some speed isn't it. My only suggestions are minor:
It looks like you are turning the FI3 a little early and are stepping down after the FO3 a little early - try to do this down the red dots for the long axis and HOLD after the FO3 until you get back to the red dots/long axis.
Next you need to almost lunge to shift the weight onto the BI edge. One trick is to rotate your upper body out over the BI skate include turning your head and looking outside the circle, also, only barely let the free skate touch. It looks like you are getting a nice FI edge after the BI, nice job as IMHO that step is the hardest to control in the whole pattern. Well done
Lyle

das_mondlicht
11-30-2006, 04:20 PM
This pattern is really a hard working one for me. I always practice it slow. But one day, coach introduced the intro steps and connecting steps. It became very scary. I still have hard time to control the FI3 at speed and always turn it too early. About the FO3 part, the more I watched my video, the more I think I need to hold on the exiting BI edge of FO3. Watching the USFSA video, it seems to me that FO3 to BI-BO-XF-BI similar to F power3 but not quite. It is more like BI consecutive edges to me if looking at the diagram. But, the power push to BI to BXOR is always good practice! I need to get the lunge position first.

Luna

Raye
11-30-2006, 04:35 PM
I can see the influence of ice-dance in your carriage and extension. Looks great.

(can't comment on the actual pattern - moves (skills) are different here in Canada)

Skate@Delaware
11-30-2006, 06:35 PM
This pattern is really a hard working one for me. I always practice it slow. But one day, coach introduced the intro steps and connecting steps.

...connecting steps???? there's connecting steps??? I had better look at the pattern sheet again! 8O

Morgail
11-30-2006, 06:56 PM
I couldn't watch your video (it kept freezing on me), but just wanted to wish you luck on this pattern:) I thought this was the hardest one of all the PB moves. I tested Pre-Bronze Moves in early Nov.

I had a harder time on the side with the CW 3s. My coach had me do those first, so I could go into them a little slower. By the time I had finished that side, and skated to the other side, I could do the more comfortable CCW 3s with more speed. And it was good to get the harder ones out of the way first:) So if you have one side better than the other, it might help to do that side second.

My skating director believes that transition is the same wide power push/two foot transition as the Forward Power 3 Turns pattern. Can anyone else confirm this?
I did the transition with a push, but then held the BI edge just on the skating foot (with my free foot in front of me, like in the BI edge pattern). The other woman who tested with me did the two foot transition, and we both passed. We were the first to test at our rink with the new pattern, so it was new to the judges too, I guess. I think the video on USFS shows the two-foot transition.

das_mondlicht
11-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Sorry, connecting step - a wrong term. It is the optional end pattern among moves. There is no whole pattern in the rulebook, though.

Raye, thanks for your comments. Ice-dancing definitely benefits a lot. I should have started it at earlier stage. But, it is never too late to start it.

Morgail, thanks for bringing up the FO3 transition difference. I currently do it more like a wide step power push, but not powerful enough though.

Luna

DallasSkater
11-30-2006, 07:31 PM
How timely for me! I just started practicing for the MIF pre bronze testing and just did this pattern today for the first time! I have no tips reflectively but did want to say thanks for posting the video! I need all the help I can get!

Ok..who has a youtube of the waltz 8...just did this for first time today too. I did try to download patterns from the USFS site but somehow it does not load the whole thing. I am sure it is my limited computer skills! eeek.

Loved your smile at the end. How cute!

renatele
11-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Ok..who has a youtube of the waltz 8...just did this for first time today too. I did try to download patterns from the USFS site but somehow it does not load the whole thing. I am sure it is my limited computer skills! eeek.

Try to save to your harddrive before viewing - right-click on the links to the files and choose "save as" (or "save file" or similar - depending on the browser).

eta: I dug out the video of pre-pre MITF test I took in 2004. Cringed a bit looking at it, but here you go, anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucYJhJy8zNs

froggy
11-30-2006, 09:20 PM
very nice video! im working on my PBMITF test too! I have to agree with a previous post to try holding your FI3 and FO3 a bit longer, the way I'm learning it i do a 1 foot not 2 foot transition, but in either case you may be transitioning onto the 2 feet a bit too quickly. have you tried this pattern on a line? when/if you do practice on a line it'll help guide you to when you transition -as you get back to the axis- so you'll have to hold the back inside edge from the FO3 turn longer.

overall looks quite good! good luck!!

DallasSkater
11-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Renata: Thanks! That was really nice of you to share. Will try saving on hard drive too! Hope I will be able to do the waltz 8 as graceful as yours!

mikawendy
11-30-2006, 11:30 PM
eta: I dug out the video of pre-pre MITF test I took in 2004. Cringed a bit looking at it, but here you go, anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucYJhJy8zNs

Nice video! You have such nice control and flow during the pattern, and it's very even (rather than being egg shaped with the BO-FO part of the pattern being too large).

icedancer2
12-01-2006, 02:40 PM
I think your moves looks really good and if you skated it like that on your test, I would pass you.

If I was going to be picky, which I wouldn't be at this level, I would say that you need more controlled check on all of your threes but that will come with time (and with continued ice-dancing -- ie., European Waltz -- heck, even the Willow and Hickory!). More knees, but that is just a given for almost every skater.

Good luck with your skating. Very nice.:bow:

das_mondlicht
12-01-2006, 07:07 PM
I am grateful for all supportive comments and tips. I have collected them and will work on them harder because they all come from those who sharing same passions. I can't wait to try them tonight, but I have been consumed by work and 120 miles commuting. So, I will have to wait for weekend public sessions. This video is my 3rd complete PB moves run-through without any warming up. There is a hope I will make it through the test in this month!

Luna