View Full Version : Why?

Chico
11-29-2006, 10:38 PM
I had someone ask me this the other day, "Why do you skate?" Of course I gave all the reasons: l. Great exercise 2. Fun challenge 3. Nice friends..... I then was asked again, "But, why skating? You can get all those things doing other things." And you know, she was right. So, I've been thinking since then. For me, I've never done any other sport that was so fun and challenging. So much so, that I forget I'm getting exercise. It talks to me. I can't explain, but it does. I love the flying feeling. I love the quiet and my own thoughts of concentrating. I love the feeling when things are right. I love being scared and doing it anyway. I love always being challenged and having a million new things to keep me so. Well, I guess I just know that I need to skate. Share what your reasons are to skate. What would you have said?

Chico

Award
11-29-2006, 11:01 PM
I would have just said .... 'because I like doing it' hehe

jazzpants
11-30-2006, 12:34 AM
Yes, I would have added to that list "a method of artistic expression." (That's one of my reasons.)

Of course, you can also give a joking obnoxious answer like "an excuse to get dolled up and dressed up!" :twisted: :P :lol:

blue111moon
11-30-2006, 07:39 AM
"It's better than aerobics because it's so cold here I can work up a sweat without actually getting all sweaty."

kateskate
11-30-2006, 07:56 AM
Because I love it more than anything else.

There is nothing I would rather do than skate. I would choose to skate over any other activity or event. And there is nothing that makes me happier or motivates me to work as hard. And the thought of not skating makes me so sad I don't like to think about it.

Petlover
11-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Skating is having fun while getting great exercise! Also, I have severe allergy triggered asthma, and my doctor told me that skating at an indoor rink is the best exercise I can do for my lungs. Also, at 50+ years, I can wear a mini-skirt without feeling underdressed......

doubletoe
11-30-2006, 12:27 PM
It's got everything:
- Physical challenge
- Mental challenge
- Artistic aspect
- Musical aspect
- Creative aspect
- Beautiful to watch
- Feels like flying

On top of that: You can do it all year round, you never get overheated doing it, you can quit whenever you want (unlike hiking, skiing, running, etc. where you need to get back to your starting point), it's great exercise, and it puts you in the moment in spite of whatever chaos may be going on in the rest of your life (because if you're anywhere else but in the moment, you're going to fall, LOL!)

Mrs Redboots
11-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Skating has brought me friends from all over the world. We get to compete internationally, and I even have three large cups on my sideboard! Plus it's something we do together, and for ourselves and each other - I rather suspect it saved our marriage. Our fights are now all on the ice, not off it! And for these two empty-nesters, that is a good thing!

It appears to be the only sport I really don't mind doing badly!

Team Arthritis
11-30-2006, 12:57 PM
all my life I've been a little clumsy - eg. I can't wear a watch without breaking it on a passing doorknob. Skating is the only time in my life when I've ever approached a feeling, however crude, of gracefullness.
Lyle

Ellyn
11-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Yes to the feeling of flying and gracefulness.

Also I like the fact that there are so many different skills to learn and to combine in interesting ways, just for the technical challenge as well as for artistic expression. Much more interesting to me than just working to get more and more efficient at the same few skills as in racing-based sports.

sk8_4fun
11-30-2006, 01:47 PM
1. I can't really jump yet, but skating is closest thing to flying without leaving the ground.
2. I ain't the lightest of ladies and I'm clumsy at the best of times, but when I skate I feel light and graceful
3. great exercise,
4. satisfies my competitive nature
5. Although I started 8 months ago, I can't imagine not skating

das_mondlicht
11-30-2006, 04:35 PM
After 3 years skating, I still can't jump or spin at all. But, I am still skating from different perspective. Why? Because it lifts me up no matter what. I can't agree more on the lines from Peggy's Long Program - You know it when you find it. It is the thing makes time pass differently so that you give all your hours to it and it still doesn't feel like too much.

Luna

lovepairs
11-30-2006, 06:30 PM
I really don't think we have a choice...the ice has a magic all of it's own,
it draws you in and keeps you there. It's really quite magical. If I were asked I would say, "because it's sheer magic!"

Morgail
11-30-2006, 07:10 PM
I love the feeling I have after I skate. I always feel as though I've really pushed myself to work hard. My legs feel exhausted (in a good way). It's the only exercise I've ever done that doesn't actually feel like exercise, because it's so much fun.

Alisontheice
12-01-2006, 11:52 AM
I tell people that since I trained so much as a child/teen in skating that it's a shame to waste all those years. When I took skating up again it was as an alternative to the gym which I was so bored of. But I really do it because I love it.

I'm a klutz too like it sounds many people are here. My husband always comments about how graceful I am on the ice as opposed to how I am in my everyday life. I just enjoy stepping on the ice and being able to do something I'm really good at. :)

Leda
12-01-2006, 12:56 PM
I would have said, "Because you can't do triple axels in any other sport!":o haha! well maybe I would have really said someting like this," I love it to death and its the one sport I could do 24/7 and not get sick of!":P

Team Arthritis
12-01-2006, 02:56 PM
funny thing was that when I started skating I didn't like it at all, I just couldn't stop coming back. :giveup: Addicted before I even liked it - So which side of the brain is in charge?
Lyle

PattyP
12-01-2006, 03:00 PM
....because I'm afraid how far my a$$ would drop if I stopped! :lol: ;)

BlueIcePlaza
12-01-2006, 03:35 PM
...I'd say:

..Because the ice is the easiest substance in the world to move on, but the hardest to master moves on - thus creating a million or more challenges. :D

miraclegro
12-01-2006, 03:49 PM
I'd say:

*Because i can leave all my problems and enter a mild state of euphoria!

plus, now i can say:

Because the cool rink helps me with my hot flashes!

Chico
12-01-2006, 09:45 PM
It's fun to read everyones thoughts. =-) I LOVE Patty P's answer, too funny!
Has anyone else noticed that we all have alike answers to some extent?!

Chico

SkatingOnClouds
12-02-2006, 02:39 AM
Hmm, I think I would have to say:

Because I love the look on people's faces when I tell them this 47 year old, very overweight, smoking lady can not only stay upright on skates, but jump and spin too.

NCSkater02
12-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Also, at 50+ years, I can wear a mini-skirt without feeling underdressed......

40+ for me, but I hear ya!! I'm even used to the odd looks I get when I stop somewhere on the way to or from the rink in one. I occasionally skate in runner's tights, and it just feels weird.

I always say it is great therapy--and relatively inexpensive. I always feel better when I get off the ice, even when I do something stupid (like break my ankle)

And we won't mention the weight I've lost, nor the great legs I've developed. I imagine if I quit now, I'd gain back the 45+ pounds, and then some.

And, it's a relatively unusual sport for a 40-something to be doing--I'm not like the rest of my friends in that aspect.

doubletoe
12-05-2006, 03:56 PM
....because I'm afraid how far my a$$ would drop if I stopped! :lol: ;)

Amen, sista! I actually tried that experiment by quitting for 5 years. I remember going jogging during that time and seeing myself in a reflective surface. . . My butt was not bouncing, it was FLAPPING! 8O