View Full Version : Netflix Instructional Videos

Isk8NYC
11-29-2006, 03:13 PM
I just finished writing a letter asking Netflix to carry the various instructional videos for figure skating. Netflix currently offers the 2002 and 2006 Olympic videos and a few assorted exhibitions/shows, as well as skating movies. ("On Edge," for example.)

Anyone who wants to join my letter-writing campaign is welcome.
I sent my letter to:
Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer
Netflix, Inc. 100 Winchester Circle Los Gatos, CA 95032

If Netflix isn't receptive, I'll start in on Blockbuster next!

I'm asking for two things in particular:

∙ Add a new genre for Figure Skating under Sports; and
∙ Add new instructional video titles.

My reasoning is that adult skaters would be interested in renting these videos rather than buying them. I didn't mention tape trading - I thought that would scare them off.8O I did say that we prefer to borrow, rather than buy, these videos.

My key selling points were:
∙ The videos are expensive to purchase - $30 to $80 each.
∙ Learning new figure skating and ice dancing skills often require watch-and-learn techniques. (Think about MITF and Dance Patterns.)
∙ They would be watched a few times only, perfect for the rental market.
∙ Purchasing them by mail order is the same as renting them by mail order.
∙ Adult skaters (and coaches) have some disposable income, but are more likely to part with small amounts at a time, rather than lay down a "chunk of change" for these videos.

I know a few skating clubs/universities offer to loan these videos from their skating libraries, but I don't know of any near me in NYC that offers that option.

Isk8NYC
11-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Champion Cords Informational CD/DVD
Gustave Lussi's Systematic Figure Skating - Volume I: Spins
Gustave Lussi's Systematic Figure Skating - Volume II: Advanced Spins
Gustave Lussi's Systematic Figure Skating - Volume III: Jumps
ISU Figure Skating Elements 1,2, 3: Jumps Pack
ISU Figure Skating Elements 4&5: Spins Pack
Magic of Style DVD Volume I: Basics of Style
Magic of Style DVD Volume II: Becoming More Limber
Magic of Style DVD Volume III: Moves in the Field
Physics On Ice Vol 1 - Advanced Stroking, Footwork, & Hydroblade Principles
Physics On Ice Vol 2 - World Class Skating Exercises and Technique for Champions: Low-Moderate Level
Physics On Ice Vol 3 - World Class Skating Exercises and Technique for Champions: Advanced Level
Physics On Ice Vol 4 - Foundational Concepts and Functional Imagery On Ice
Pilates on Ice (Rebecca Leone)
PSA Annual Conference Videos (Appx. 41 videos)
PSA Moves in the Field DVDs (two disc set DVD)
Skating Through Time DVD Set
Torvill and Dean, Ice Dancing Seminar
Ultimate Skate Vol 1: Physics on Ice
Ultimate Skate Vol 2: World Class Skating Exercises and Technique
Ultimate Skate Vol 3: World Class Skating Exercises and Technique
Ultimate Skate Vol 4: Foundational Concepts and Functional
Warm Up for Figure Skaters Video (VHS)

mikawendy
11-29-2006, 11:38 PM
I know a few skating clubs/universities offer to loan these videos from their skating libraries, but I don't know of any near me in NYC that offers that option.

If the Netflix and Blockbuster campaigns don't pan out, you could see if a library near you could arrange for an interlibrary loan. There might be a small fee, but it's usually very nominal (compared with the cost of buying), such as $1-$5.

Casey
11-30-2006, 12:12 AM
I knew somebody who rented the 1998 Olympic figure skating from Netflix - it's apparently a rare dvd set so it goes for a lot of money on eBay and such...so he just told them he lost it and had to pay a nominal fee, less than a quarter of it's actual value. 8O

mikawendy
11-30-2006, 12:17 AM
I knew somebody who rented the 1998 Olympic figure skating from Netflix - it's apparently a rare dvd set so it goes for a lot of money on eBay and such...so he just told them he lost it and had to pay a nominal fee, less than a quarter of it's actual value. 8O

Workers at a local video store told me that people used to do that with video versions of The Yellow Submarine until it was rereleased recently. It got so bad that they started taking a $150 refundable deposit before rental. 8O

Isk8NYC
11-30-2006, 12:25 AM
I knew somebody who rented the 1998 Olympic figure skating from Netflix - it's apparently a rare dvd set so it goes for a lot of money on eBay and such...so he just told them he lost it and had to pay a nominal fee, less than a quarter of it's actual value. 8OThat explains why I didn't see that title on their browse list. I hope he at least watches the DVD set, but he already auctioned it off, right? Give him my thanks - I love people who take advantage and ruin a good thing.

Normal people (or as normal as we get on this board) would not have sticky fingers. They'd watch it a few times and return it for another video.

Isk8NYC
11-30-2006, 12:28 AM
Workers at a local video store told me that people used to do that with video versions of The Yellow Submarine until it was rereleased recently. It got so bad that they started taking a $150 refundable deposit before rental. 8OBack when video rental stores were Mom&Pop storefronts, we used to rent a lot of the Beatles' movies. My DH is a huge Beatle fan.

When Blockbuster first opened, we asked for the movie "Help!" The kid behind the info desk said "Is that a horror movie?" LOL

Casey
11-30-2006, 12:42 AM
That explains why I didn't see that title on their browse list. I hope he at least watches the DVD set, but he already auctioned it off, right?
Nah, he's a skater too - just didn't wanna pay that much for it. I doubt he'll ever part with it. Doesn't make it right, but well, it illustrates that Netflix should have had a better policy in place rather than charging a nominal fee regardless of value of the video. :P

vesperholly
11-30-2006, 03:13 AM
I knew somebody who rented the 1998 Olympic figure skating from Netflix - it's apparently a rare dvd set so it goes for a lot of money on eBay and such
Really? I have these DVDs and am quite cash poor at the moment ... hmmm ... :idea:

miraclegro
12-03-2006, 08:16 PM
I work at a Public Library, and i would seriously doubt you would be able to find videos such as these for inter-library loan. Of course, it costs nothing to try to find out!

flippet
12-03-2006, 08:41 PM
but well, it illustrates that Netflix should have had a better policy in place rather than charging a nominal fee regardless of value of the video. :P

I think my library recently altered their policy--raising the automatic fee for a lost book to around $100 (which now sounds a little high to me, so maybe I'm wrong), but definitely charging at least the cost to replace the item plus a 'handling' fee. Patrons who lose items can get billed a couple of times if necessary. I would think Netflix might want to 'flag' titles that cost more than normal to replace, and charge more for 'loss' of those.

pennybeagle
12-03-2006, 11:39 PM
OK, so I've tried to send this info 3 times and I keep getting kicked out of the forum when I try to send.. :frus:

Anyway, I'm a librarian I did a search on OCLC's WorldCat for these. A handful of libraries have these videos...

Gustave Lussi's Systematic Figure Skating - Volume I: Spins
Gustave Lussi's Systematic Figure Skating - Volume II: Advanced Spins
Gustave Lussi's Systematic Figure Skating - Volume III: Jumps
The following libraries have at least one of these videos: Fairbanks (AK), NY Public, King County (WA), Mansfield-Richland (OH), Berkeley Public (CA), Flathead Cty (MT), Smith College (MA),

Magic of Style DVD Volume I: Basics of Style
Magic of Style DVD Volume II: Becoming More Limber
Magic of Style DVD Volume III: Moves in the Field
Fairbanks (AK), NY Public, Kitsap Cty (WA), Berkeley Public (CA), Mansfield-Richland (OH), East Cent Reg (MN), Bay Cty (MI)

Skating Through Time DVD Set
Ada Community Library (ID), Vancouver (BC), Downers Grove (IL)

Ultimate Skate Vol 1: Physics on Ice
Wilmette Public (IL)

This does NOT mean that each of these libraries will actually LEND the videos via interlibrary loan (ILL). Usually, libraries have a policy against circulating videos outside the local area. Most libraries have a shorter lending period for videos than books to begin with, and do not wish for their videos to circulate for a longer period of time to patrons who are not their actual community members.

However, if you are lucky enough to live in an area serviced by one of the above libraries, happy viewing!