View Full Version : Back Inside 3's - Help!

singerskates
09-09-2002, 09:41 PM
I'm trying to get my back inside three's fixed. I've played with them before but nothing serious. Now, my coach is making me do them right. Didn't know how wrong I was doing them until she was fixing them. SEe I need them for my footwork and for my salchow out of a right forward open mohawk. I found that my arms are all wild.

what do you do to fix them and/ or learn them?

JDC1
09-10-2002, 08:20 AM
Well these are not exactly fluent for me but the big "no, no" I kept doing was forgetting that the motion is still, down-up-down and after the turn I woud stay up and lose all flow out of the turn. As for the arms, watch your shoulders, make sure you're not letting one kinda float back because then you aren't controlling your rotation.

Mrs Redboots
09-10-2002, 10:11 AM
I haven't yet mastered back inside 3s - back inside brackets are easier, I find - but all 3-turns seem to be done exactly the same way, and it's only the entry, and thus the exit, edge which are different. Oh, and the position of the free foot, which I understand should, ideally, be in front of the skating foot during a back 3-turn. I don't always remember, but when I do, I get far more glide out of my BO3s.

TashaKat
09-10-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by singerskates
I'm trying to get my back inside three's fixed. I've played with them before but nothing serious. Now, my coach is making me do them right. Didn't know how wrong I was doing them until she was fixing them. SEe I need them for my footwork and for my salchow out of a right forward open mohawk. I found that my arms are all wild.

what do you do to fix them and/ or learn them?

Mmmm, BI3's!! I have these in my step sequence :twisted:

I practise them in a circle ... I do a back crossover, keep the 'underneath' leg stretched erm, underneath, rotate my arms/shoulders from the waist to the outside of the circle making sure that I keep my palms pressed down (stops the wild arms) and think about pressing down on the heel of my boots while keeping my knees soft and bouncy (ha ha, apart from when I don't and fracture my wrist!), press down, up (to 'release' the weight from the ice), down to make the turn MAKING SURE that you rebend your knee on the turn to forwards (or you can fall over and ...... ) ...... on the turn I try to think about turning from the waist down and pressing down into my palms so that I keep the check.

Of course you can do them with the free leg in front from the start but I find the above way easier .... probably because it's in my programme like that 8O

Don't know if any of that helped but that's how I do them :)

L x

icenut84
09-10-2002, 11:17 AM
The way Lynne described practicing them is the way I learnt too. I tend to practice them with my foot in front mostly though, it looks nice on the forward edge and helps control so you don't overrotate. Don't forget to have your weight over your heel and almost feel like you're lifting the front of the blade. Stand up straight (obviously use the knee band, but don't lean forward or backward) and think about "standing up on the edge" as my coach put it - don't let the edge get too deep or it will be more difficult to make the turn. You could also try practicing double 3s - if you do, make sure you space the turns out to get control rather than turning the second you get onto the BI edge. Also, only do two - a common thing is to do three, so you do FO-BI-FO, but if you do you may find it hard to control the rotation on a BI3. On double 3s (and I guess all 3s) keep your legs together-ish, if that makes sense.

dbny
09-10-2002, 12:50 PM
I'm not doing them yet, mostly out of fear, but I practice them along the boards at the curve. It helps to keep my fingers lightly touching the boards as that keeps my shoulders in the correct position. I do them with the free leg in front, and just rotate it through so it stays in front. That may be a holdover from my rollerskating days, but my coach says it is fine. My coach alway has us two-foot threes to get the check in place, so that is something else you could try.

melanieuk
09-10-2002, 02:11 PM
I also was taught to keep the free foot to the front, and turn my upper part of body in direction I wanted to turn ie outside the circle, until the turn was ready to happen on it's own. I feel like the weight is near the back of the blade, but I suppose realistically it is the middle part. Knee bend at the precise moments also aids the process greatly. :roll: