View Full Version : Knee Injury Update 2 Months Later

rf3ray
11-27-2006, 05:18 AM
Ok guys, the knee hurts when I do any impact exercises, it does not hurt walking. My physio had recommended me either to take 4 - 6 weeks of from skating or take a Cortisone injection in the knee. Just wondering if anyone here had done the Cortisone Injection. My knee cap is stable but I have it taped up for Skating or any other exercises. It hurts when I try to do a few sit spins, but the twisting action from doing 3 turns does not hurt?

Any feedback from people that had knee injuries would be greatly appreciated

sue123
11-27-2006, 08:41 AM
I had a cortisone injection. It helped, but it seriously freaked me out. First, they sprayed something on my knee that made it really cold. Then he takes this huge needle and sticks it right into the knee. And then, I could barely walk as my knee was defrosting. But after all that, it felt much better. Although I did almost pass out when I saw him coming at me with that needle. The thing with a cortisone injection is that, for me anyway, it was more of a temporary measure than a permanent solution. And you can't keep getting more injections, there's a limit on how many one joint can have. If taking a break from skating will allow what ever is wrong in your knee to heal so you'll be able to skate pain free longer and for more years, I would say to take the 4 weeks off.

Although I very rarely listen to my own advice, since i was trying to compromise with my doctor recently about how much skating I could do and what moves I can do even though he told me no skating for now. It was actually quite funny, I'm sitting in hte office and he's checking out my knee, and we're arguing, I say no jumping, he says no skating. I say no really really deep knee bends, he says no skating. We were just going back and forth, his student was getting quite a kick out of it.

rf3ray
11-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Ok Update... Just talked to my Coach and his wife and they said to not do anything for 2 months and leave it. So looks like I have turned to a spectator for now.... THIS SUCKS!!!!! ...... There goes my holidays for this year!!!!... It KILLS ME NOT TO SKATE!!!!!

dbny
11-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Ok Update... Just talked to my Coach and his wife and they said to not do anything for 2 months and leave it. So looks like I have turned to a spectator for now.... THIS SUCKS!!!!! ...... There goes my holidays for this year!!!!... It KILLS ME NOT TO SKATE!!!!!

On the positive side, you are very possibly preserving your ability to continue to skate for many more years, and saving yourself from a lifetime of arthritis. Congratulations on your decision to play it safe!

AW1
11-27-2006, 08:26 PM

rf3RAY, I feel for you... really I do!! FWIW, I'm still having issues with my knee and although the MRI showed up no tears, my physio is convinced something is going on in there... So I'm in exactly the same position, until at least January!

sunjoy
11-27-2006, 09:29 PM
This all sounds very familiar to me. I'll tell myself I'll take it easy on the ice, and then I'll get warmed-up and end up pushing it, taking a few days off, and doing it again.

Worst is that there are exercises to do to strengthen my medial quads, but of course I'd rather go to the rink than the gym, so they never get done.

Good for you, for surrendering to dicipline. :giveup: :bow: