View Full Version : How long does it take to break in new boots?

Paulie86
11-26-2006, 07:39 PM
I just got new boots (Reidell Silver Star) 2 weeks ago and had my old blade transfered over to the new boots. The blade hasn't been fully secured to the boots, only seeting screws have been put in to make sure my edges don't change or my center doesn't change while I'm breaking them in. The guy where I got them done said to come back in 2 weeks depending on how much you skate. In this time I have had 2 lessons, 2 synchro practices and 1 extra practice. I aslo have heat moulded them slightly (using a hairdryer on my ankles) and have walked around the house and done some knee bending with them on.

Is this enough to get them broken in enough to get the blade fully set on my boots?? I haven't been able to jump until I get them set, but want to be able to jump this week as it will be my last lesson for the year. I can do all my spins fairly well in them, including my sit spin and the edges feel right.

I don't remember how long it took to break in my first pair of boots because it was so long ago, so your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

renatele
11-26-2006, 08:37 PM
The skate tech I go to says to come back to him in about 20 skating hours, by which time boots are usually "settled in".

MQSeries
11-26-2006, 09:16 PM
It depends on the make of the boot and how often and how aggressive you are when you're on the ice. Everyone is different, so you can't just say that since you have skated for 20 hours then automatically the boots are broken in.

I'd say that once you get to the point where you feel that you can control your edges in you new boots and are relatively comfortable stepping into spins and doing some single jumps in them then they're "broken in".

From what you describe below, it seems like your boots are broke in. Do one foot glide on each skate and try to go straight. If it doesn't feel like the blade is pulling you to the left or to the right then you should be able to permanently have the blade mounted to the boots.

Paulie86
11-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Thank you for your help. I will be getting my blades fully mounted to my boots. :)